Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017838 - 06/06/17 06:11 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: tmcats]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: tmcats
so, you don't have a sticker, i saw lots in lawrence, but you do like bern.
probably didn't have time to vote though, right?

btw, you did a fine job hijacking the thread, which is probably appreciated by the earlier ku contributors.

"EMAW EMAW EMAW LOOK AT ME UNABLE TO PARSE SIMPLE LOGIC BUT I SURE CAN MAKE FARM NOISES EMAW"

#2017954 - 06/09/17 09:36 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: tmcats]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Then I guess we will also go the private funding route. Problem solved...

unless it's hard cash, ku will take on an enormous debt load for memorial stadium's renovation. that will be secured just as k-state has 'the bill.' likewise, i presume ku's existing $36 million load is secured with pledges and ongoing operational income. by the way, it's commonplace for pledges to run over a 10 year term or longer. i'm sure you knew that.

Depends on how we do it. It'll probably be a mixture. Personally, I don't believe the old gal needs a dramatic $400 million tear down and redo in 2 years. More likely a 10 period of gradual tear downs, upgrades and improvements. Kinda like what's been done to AFH over the last 30 years. And, to be truthful, Memorial today is in better shape than AFH was in 1988 when the roof leaked and the electrical system threatened to cut out in the middle of games. Review KU's rebuilding of Memorial Drive/Jayhawk Blvd over the last 4 years. No debt. Just steady, confident improvements. Plus some private enterprise on the side like Here Kansas. There is a reason that project was rammed down Lawrence's throat by the University.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2017971 - 06/10/17 11:20 AM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
don't believe memorial can be a piecemeal project, jb.

#2017972 - 06/10/17 12:22 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: tmcats]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Much like many things you post, your beliefs are worthless.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017973 - 06/10/17 12:46 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
Something needs to be done to the north bowl to make the seating more intimate. And I hate field turf.

#2017975 - 06/10/17 04:26 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: tmcats]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Told you afore, catsrule, KU doesn't operate like other Big12 institutions. For that matter, it's not like most P5 conference institutions. The closest to KU might be Indiana but even that's a stretch. KU plays football to beat Missoura and maintain the MBB program. This doesn't mean KU can't play good football. It occasionally plays very good football. But winning isn't the end-all-be-all. Other priorities dominate the situation. He!!, close the south bowl, ruin one graduation ceremony, threaten the Relays or stick some name in front of Kansas Memorial Stadium and the deal is off.

In 1984 when Monte Johnson took over, AFH was a true chithole. The roof leaked. The announcer reminded folks what to do if the electricity cut out during a game. The plumbing was 45 years old. KAI offices crowded the concourses. Over the next 30 years, donors here and there have built the finest athletic facility in the country step by step. It started w/ Anschutz Sports Pavillion and has ended w/ the basketball rules building. Expect the same sort of thing around Memorial Stadium. It'd be well under way starting in 2007 w/ the Anderson facility had we made some better choices. But that's another story. Expect the improvements to begin again after our little 10 year interregnum.

#2017990 - 06/11/17 09:15 AM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
ha, catsrule, we do go back awhile, jb. the youngsters here must wonder.

just think of all that's passed since that moniker? terrible terry and ronaldo prince. can't remember for sure but both schools have been #1 in country, right? well, i know state has. then there's two bill snyder runs. buddha's orange bowl. and his most famous media moment ever, 'you know what this is about, don't ya!'

what fun and memories come from college football. hoops just sucks donkey balls by comparison.

#2018004 - 06/11/17 01:41 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: John_Brown
KU doesn't operate like other Big12 institutions. For that matter, it's not like most P5 conference institutions. The closest to KU might be Indiana but even that's a stretch. KU plays football to beat Missoura and maintain the MBB program. This doesn't mean KU can't play good football. It occasionally plays very good football. But winning isn't the end-all-be-all. Other priorities dominate the situation. He!!, close the south bowl, ruin one graduation ceremony, threaten the Relays or stick some name in front of Kansas Memorial Stadium and the deal is off.

That certainly is more or less how KU ran football from around the early 1950's through to about 7 to 10 years ago IMHO. But something began to change during the last Mangino years and especially during the Orange Bowl year. It changed even more when the slavers fled back to the south and we no longer play them anymore. It changed some more when Rock Chalk Park was opened and the KU relays moved out there from the stadium. The stadium now is more central to KU football, as odd as that may sound, than it ever has been. Commencement and walking down the hill through the Campanile is still very important, but concerns about that aren't as important as they once were with how things have changed over the past 7 to 10 years. i.e. improving the football program to at least being better than average (compared to other P-5 schools) is now of higher priority than it ever has been since perhaps 1950 or so. That also means the stadium renovation is of higher priority now.

From what I've heard and been told, the stadium renovation will happen in at least 3 major phases and they won't be little patchwork phases either, but substantial renovations to different parts of the stadium. The stadium will more or less look brand new when it's all said and done. Have heard various figures thrown around too. Anywhere from $300 million to $500 million for all 3 phases. We'll see what makes it to the official announcement later this year.

#2018145 - 06/16/17 04:25 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: Kman_blue]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
That certainly is more or less how KU ran football from around the early 1950's through to about 7 to 10 years ago IMHO. But something began to change during the last Mangino years and especially during the Orange Bowl year. It changed even more when the slavers fled back to the south and we no longer play them anymore. It changed some more when Rock Chalk Park was opened and the KU relays moved out there from the stadium. The stadium now is more central to KU football, as odd as that may sound, than it ever has been. Commencement and walking down the hill through the Campanile is still very important, but concerns about that aren't as important as they once were with how things have changed over the past 7 to 10 years. i.e. improving the football program to at least being better than average (compared to other P-5 schools) is now of higher priority than it ever has been since perhaps 1950 or so. That also means the stadium renovation is of higher priority now.

From what I've heard and been told, the stadium renovation will happen in at least 3 major phases and they won't be little patchwork phases either, but substantial renovations to different parts of the stadium. The stadium will more or less look brand new when it's all said and done. Have heard various figures thrown around too. Anywhere from $300 million to $500 million for all 3 phases. We'll see what makes it to the official announcement later this year.

Well, you may be right. I have no insight into any of these plans. However, this great football reset over the last 10 years or so has worked about as well as the great football reset that began in the late 70s rehire of CoachFam and CoachHadl. The stadium received a veneer of an upgrade, Anschutz/Schaffer-Holland strength center were built. DOCTOR Tom actually toured em in 1983 and went back up to Lincoln and demanded his own version. Recruiting accusations began flying around and we ended up w/ the Gottfried/Val eras.

KU Football operates better on its own schedule and its own beat. Mason/Mangino pulled the boat straight into the current and labored directly upriver playing the underdog card at every opportunity. The Missoura game is an opportunity not a challenge. We need to get back to playing our game.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

#2018146 - 06/16/17 05:50 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: John_Brown
Well, you may be right. I have no insight into any of these plans. However, this great football reset over the last 10 years or so has worked about as well as the great football reset that began in the late 70s rehire of CoachFam and CoachHadl. The stadium received a veneer of an upgrade, Anschutz/Schaffer-Holland strength center were built. DOCTOR Tom actually toured em in 1983 and went back up to Lincoln and demanded his own version. Recruiting accusations began flying around and we ended up w/ the Gottfried/Val eras.

KU Football operates better on its own schedule and its own beat. Mason/Mangino pulled the boat straight into the current and labored directly upriver playing the underdog card at every opportunity. The Missoura game is an opportunity not a challenge. We need to get back to playing our game.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
I didn't say the change went well! :LOL

Despite the major missteps in the coaching department, I do see a lot more support from the AD and even from the Chancellor's office over the past 7 to 10 years than I have in my lifetime. From everyone I have talked to who's been around longer than me I get mostly a similar sentiment. The lone period I hear came close in that time frame (1950-now) period during Jack Mitchell's reign and coach Fam 1.0, but the support came in spurts and would as quickly completely reverse and then some in between those spurts of full support. 1 person also was of the opinion that JV Sikes had good support for most of his career at KU, but it still wasn't to the level that the KU higher ups seem to be giving KU football lately.

As far as KU operating better on its own schedule, I think that's probably right. It looks to me that coach Beaty is doing a lot of the same things Mangino did with some notable exceptions. He doesn't seem to be trying to copy any other program's format, but rather making his own based in part on a frame of core principles Mangino had in addition to a more aggressive recruiting strategy which looks to be paying off big time right now. We'll find out if he can translate that to more success on the field here in the next couple of seasons. I'm optimistic that he can and feel more strongly about it than I have since Mangino or Mase.

#2018152 - 06/16/17 07:55 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
We will see if he can win...main point ☝️

After all, he is in his third year. Should be farther along. Why isn't he? My take is he is a nice guy. Bud Moore was nice too...

#2018273 - 06/21/17 04:08 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
We will see if he can win...main point ☝️

After all, he is in his third year. Should be farther along. Why isn't he? My take is he is a nice guy. Bud Moore was nice too...
So was Coach Fam.

#2018286 - 06/21/17 04:50 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Fam was smart and a hard worker

#2018292 - 06/21/17 06:36 PM Re: New revenue streams? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Fam was smart and a hard worker