Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017400 - 05/19/17 10:12 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Who dat boy from Colorado. No I live in the P.V. ...for now.

#2017404 - 05/20/17 10:50 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Will Self leave for another job someday? I think the only job out there is the Spurs. Thats my final take on that.

I think I might not be looking at the right angle to this transfer thing. Lets say that this years recruiting most of us consider weak by KU and Self standards. I think we all think that. Is Self getting ready to make a hard splash next year in recruiting to go with Lawsons and Moore? Is this a calculated move to have the schollies for 2018 recruits?

#2017405 - 05/20/17 01:13 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

If he's coaching the Spurs what does calculating have to do with anything.

#2017406 - 05/20/17 04:38 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Lindy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Nothing mysterious here. In addition to the one-and-done, the rankings hurt recruitment and development. If a player is ranked in the top 20, there would be an extra expectation of going "league" ASAP, thus the desire for both assured minutes and opportunity to showcase. It would be interesting to see the minutes for the 20 ranked players in the freshman season over the past few years.

Where would these assured minutes be at Kansas next year? A top ranked center is not beating out Adoke. Top point or shooting guards are not beating out fourth year Graham and former top seven ranked Newman. Perhaps a three spot was missed in the class, but even there, there was always the possibility of having to beat out a veteran Svi or emerging Vick. Preston is about as top ranked for his position as possible, just a bit unfair to compare to recent phenoms like Wiggins and Jackson, or the disappointment of Bragg.

For the next year, why not take a proven point guard who can run the show and put up double figure scoring? Why not grab a double double machine at forward? Assess Vick, Garrett, Preston, and Cunliffe during the season and come up with what needs to be filled in.

I think only Kentucky and Duke get the multiple top tens per year. Cal clears them out pretty fast so anyone coming in has that chance of minutes/showcase. I don't think the double squad ten deep thing is going to work too often (and indeed was defeated by the veteran Wisconsin program guys). Coach K always has a thin rotation or roster. This also means he is often in position to put together a loaded three to four person class. He does this about 2.5 out of every four years lately. Notice Roy does not get multiple classes of multiple top ten guys. Even when he does get the high ranked players they are the sort that show raw talent in the first years but need to come back to work on their game.

Regardess, KU is spoiled in recruiting. Preston alone would be banner headlines at Iowa or Iowa State. They would also be bragging about a recruit like Garrett to no end.

Edited by Lindy (05/20/17 04:40 PM)

#2017407 - 05/20/17 05:37 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

KU is not Iowa or Iowa State. Lowered expectations end with lower results. But we could be fine. Get back with me next March.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview