Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017345 - 05/16/17 05:05 PM Did off-court effect recruiting?
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just asking the question. I don't have any inside knowledge that it did but could see where it might sour some parents.

#2017347 - 05/16/17 07:26 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
It could. Or the probation hammer might be coming down. Or Bill is making the jump to the league. Something doesn't seem right with all the transfers. Local yokel plow people will still think everything is great. And maybe it will be.

#2017348 - 05/16/17 07:52 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I don't think Bill jumps to the league. He has had multiple opportunities to do that. I do think he may be getting a little burned out with the recruiting grind. He's done well with recruiting, it's just when you compare against Cal and K, everyone else takes a back seat.

But, nothing is more of a grind than the NBA.

#2017349 - 05/16/17 09:32 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Don't worry about the transfers in or out. Bragg couldn't play at this level. Svi really didn't wasn't to stay this long.You can't blame Colby for wanting more playing time. We are the Jayhawks, that is why the other 3 are transferring in. All schools have off court issues.

#2017351 - 05/17/17 06:49 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Actually 5 are transferring in but hey who's counting.

#2017352 - 05/17/17 07:03 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Forgot about Whitman and the dude from Arizona.

#2017357 - 05/17/17 07:14 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: bigdogjac]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

I agree with you Bigdog,.The transfers have nothing to do with our off court situations and is only an opportunity for some to move on that either don't fit or think they're not going to get the minutes they want and those who see an opportunity to play and contribute to a great basketball school. I think we are in good shape for next season.

#2017358 - 05/17/17 07:36 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Good shape as in what? Back in to another conference title and being eliminated in a S16 game. That's all I think they will do.

#2017359 - 05/17/17 08:01 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Good shape as in what? Back in to another conference title and being eliminated in a S16 game. That's all I think they will do.

Not sure what you mean by "Back in to another conference title." They've had a little luck with them for some of their 13 titles, but they've not backed in to any of them and especially this past season. I also am looking higher than a S16 game. I think you have too much of a "woe is us" attitude. Loosen up and enjoy the journey wherever it takes us.

#2017360 - 05/17/17 08:12 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The transfers are another season away (except Whitman). I'm talking about the 2017 recruiting class. 2 Freshmen. Not a knock on them at all, they are quality players, but it remains to be seen if either of them is going to be an impact player this year.

21st ranked recruiting class according to ESPN.com. Not up to KU expectations.

#2017361 - 05/17/17 08:46 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Don't forget we have, "the dude from Arizona" for 2nd semester, just in time for conference with a whole year of practice with the team.

#2017367 - 05/18/17 09:28 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952

Not sure what you mean by "Back in to another conference title." They've had a little luck with them for some of their 13 titles, but they've not backed in to any of them and especially this past season. I also am looking higher than a S16 game. I think you have too much of a "woe is us" attitude. Loosen up and enjoy the journey wherever it takes us.

And it's the "where ever it takes us" complacent attitude that has us stuck at 3 NCAA titles. Fans of blueblood teams that demand more get more. Thats why Kentucky has 8...UNC has 6...Duke has 5. Complacency in underachieving is a form of giving up.

That might be the mindset of flyover country yokels but not for this guy. I want more frigging titles. UConn having one more title than us makes me sick at times. Rifed with rage..but yuk yuk lets get another Big 12 title and yuk yuk thats good enough..

#2017369 - 05/18/17 10:27 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
You're full of hot air.

#2017370 - 05/18/17 10:32 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

And it's the "where ever it takes us" complacent attitude that has us stuck at 3 NCAA titles. Fans of blueblood teams that demand more get more. Thats why Kentucky has 8...UNC has 6...Duke has 5. Complacency in underachieving is a form of giving up.

That might be the mindset of flyover country yokels but not for this guy. I want more frigging titles. UConn having one more title than us makes me sick at times. Rifed with rage..but yuk yuk lets get another Big 12 title and yuk yuk thats good enough..

I think that you are giving far too much weight to the fans demand for NCAA championships upon schools, coaches or players. Can you give even one instance where the fans demands brought about a NCAA trophy? As far as fans demands are concerned, I seriously doubt that UK, UNC, Duke or UConn fans had an ounce of influence in demanding a championship for any of these or any other school. The basic influence that fans have is when they get behind their team in cheering and attendance or the lack thereof. In that regard there can be found no better fan base than KU. They are also one of the best traveling fan bases. As far as the influence of boards like this one, I seriously doubt that coaches ever read even one word of them nor do the players or school administrators. So what I say or you say doesn't have even an ounce of effect upon championships. That is basically determined by the quality of coaching, players, injuries, luck of the draw and having a good or off night.When all of that lines up favorably, the possibility of a championship greatly increases. When one or more of those are out of kilter, the possibility begins to diminish. Your demand for, "more frigging titles," has not even a hair's breath of influence of whether or not we get one. And I seriously doubt that you desire a NCAA title more than I do. As big a fan as I am, my life just doesn't revolve around that desire. Even if it did, it wouldn't have the slightest influence upon achieving or not achieving a championship.

#2017371 - 05/18/17 10:55 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
You're full of hot air.

You are 100% correct. You just took less words to say the same thing that I did.

#2017372 - 05/18/17 11:08 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You're full of hot air.

Full of the truth that plowbillies can't handle.

#2017373 - 05/18/17 11:11 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You're full of hot air.

You are 100% correct. You just took less words to say the same thing that I did.

phrogmusher is the KUsportsdotcom version of levar ball. I can't decide who is more full of $#!t.

#2017374 - 05/18/17 11:13 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You're full of hot air.

20000 words and nothing said....of course Kentucky fans have something to do with it. They demanded switching coaches until they got a winner with Calipari. You ever read Rupp Rafters?? Don't get me wrong we have passionate fans but we accept under achieving.

#2017375 - 05/18/17 11:15 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Don't get me wrong we have passionate fans but we accept under achieving.

You should go picket on Naismith Dr.

#2017377 - 05/18/17 12:57 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

I suspect that Billy G's UK record and the powers that be realizing that they had blown it with that hire had a whole lot more to do with the coaching change than anything the students did. If that is not the case, then the powers that be should have been fired as well.

#2017378 - 05/18/17 01:51 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You're full of hot air.

phrogmusher is the KUsportsdotcom version of levar ball. I can't decide who is more full of $#!t.

You ...until I knock it out of you. Ouch babeee...very ouch.

#2017379 - 05/18/17 01:53 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Don't get me wrong we have passionate fans but we accept under achieving.

You should go picket on Naismith Dr.

Why..,..nothing going on there now. Especially no recruiting. ..boom.

#2017380 - 05/18/17 07:57 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

There he goes again guys, threatening violence. I'm still waiting for mine that he promised.

#2017381 - 05/18/17 09:12 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
I will agree with some that Phogusher has said. We are not up to standard in recruiting this year. It does seem funny, and out of sorts to me as well. Bill Self set these standards of recruiting here. Bill Self created this expectation of getting at least some great freshmen to land in the Phog. Preston and Garret might turn out to be excellent, hidden gem type Top 100 talent. They might be outstanding, and a year from now I will say" What a great recruiting job" done by Self.

I don't think though some really understand that the Spurs will come calling, and Self has said that San Antone is one of his favorite cities to spend time at. His college roommate is Buford. Connections that no one really understands. If Self passes on this now, will he get another gig that has these perks?

Will he go? Don't know. Is college basketball the same now as it was a few years ago? No. Its getting more watered down, and lacking in competition. If the OAD isn't changed soon, it will be the end to college basketball and March being this great venue for high quality basketball. Thats my opinion. I don't think the sky is falling by any means, but what else does Self have to prove here?

#2017382 - 05/18/17 09:36 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am a little disappointed in recent recruiting also. I am happy with with the quality of transfers that we are getting. I would like to get a OAD or two, but don't want a whole team of them,

I would be shocked if BS went to San Antonio, OKC Thunder or OSU. I feel he will be a Jayhawk until he retires. I don't have anything to back that up other than, an anonymous source leaked that to me.

#2017383 - 05/19/17 01:13 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: bigdogjac]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
There he goes again guys, threatening violence. I'm still waiting for mine that he promised.

What are you talking about. I never threatened you. I like your Okie butt.

#2017384 - 05/19/17 08:41 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
self may have figured out he's not going to beat cal's one&done method. and he can see that playing old has it's advantages. in fact, it may be superior, thus the transfer moves. so, this year's class is just a reflection of that tactical change - playing catch-up while stocking the backroom.

i also wonder if the off-court issues didn't affect this year's team performance. still champions of this conference for many reasons, they were at times far from overwhelming and putrid in 'the dance' v. O.

#2017385 - 05/19/17 08:59 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Putrid maybe..but its their norm to get to a NCAA round that the Wildcats only been to once in the last 25 years. Why do you even try.

#2017387 - 05/19/17 09:15 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: tmcats]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: tmcats
they were at times far from overwhelming and putrid in 'the dance' v. O.

I'll give you that they were not at their best against oregon. But other than that, they had the best body of work of any team in the country. KANSAS was the best team this past year. They just did not win it all.

#2017399 - 05/19/17 09:35 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks Phog!!!! i think I got you confused with that ol boy from Denver!

#2017400 - 05/19/17 10:12 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Who dat boy from Colorado. No I live in the P.V. ...for now.

#2017404 - 05/20/17 10:50 AM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Will Self leave for another job someday? I think the only job out there is the Spurs. Thats my final take on that.

I think I might not be looking at the right angle to this transfer thing. Lets say that this years recruiting most of us consider weak by KU and Self standards. I think we all think that. Is Self getting ready to make a hard splash next year in recruiting to go with Lawsons and Moore? Is this a calculated move to have the schollies for 2018 recruits?

#2017405 - 05/20/17 01:13 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

If he's coaching the Spurs what does calculating have to do with anything.

#2017406 - 05/20/17 04:38 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
Lindy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Nothing mysterious here. In addition to the one-and-done, the rankings hurt recruitment and development. If a player is ranked in the top 20, there would be an extra expectation of going "league" ASAP, thus the desire for both assured minutes and opportunity to showcase. It would be interesting to see the minutes for the 20 ranked players in the freshman season over the past few years.

Where would these assured minutes be at Kansas next year? A top ranked center is not beating out Adoke. Top point or shooting guards are not beating out fourth year Graham and former top seven ranked Newman. Perhaps a three spot was missed in the class, but even there, there was always the possibility of having to beat out a veteran Svi or emerging Vick. Preston is about as top ranked for his position as possible, just a bit unfair to compare to recent phenoms like Wiggins and Jackson, or the disappointment of Bragg.

For the next year, why not take a proven point guard who can run the show and put up double figure scoring? Why not grab a double double machine at forward? Assess Vick, Garrett, Preston, and Cunliffe during the season and come up with what needs to be filled in.

I think only Kentucky and Duke get the multiple top tens per year. Cal clears them out pretty fast so anyone coming in has that chance of minutes/showcase. I don't think the double squad ten deep thing is going to work too often (and indeed was defeated by the veteran Wisconsin program guys). Coach K always has a thin rotation or roster. This also means he is often in position to put together a loaded three to four person class. He does this about 2.5 out of every four years lately. Notice Roy does not get multiple classes of multiple top ten guys. Even when he does get the high ranked players they are the sort that show raw talent in the first years but need to come back to work on their game.

Regardess, KU is spoiled in recruiting. Preston alone would be banner headlines at Iowa or Iowa State. They would also be bragging about a recruit like Garrett to no end.

Edited by Lindy (05/20/17 04:40 PM)

#2017407 - 05/20/17 05:37 PM Re: Did off-court effect recruiting? [Re: AlOerter]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

KU is not Iowa or Iowa State. Lowered expectations end with lower results. But we could be fine. Get back with me next March.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview