Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017192 - 05/09/17 04:58 PM KAI strikes again!
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
In yet another example of superior marketing of an inferior product, KAI today announced a new policy regarding carry-in items at Old Memorial.

Only clear plastic bags are now allowed in....one gallon max...women can carry a hand clutch as long as it is no bigger than ones hand......."some" medical pouches "might" be allowed following a "thorough inspection by stadium personnel"......the topper? No more seatbacks or bench cushions.

What else will KAI think of to thin the already anemic herd that likes to call Memorial home on Saturday's in the fall?

I'm almost certain that by November, we could see a ban on outerwear! I know I can smuggle more in a parka than I can a cargo short or my wife can sneak in in her purse. And God knows my very comfortable Jayhawk Logoed seatback has NO PLACE in at Kivisto Field/Memorial Stadium.

These idiots claim to do it for "fan safety". Horse Hockey!

#2017193 - 05/09/17 05:32 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
In yet another example of superior marketing of an inferior product, KAI today announced a new policy regarding carry-in items at Old Memorial.

Only clear plastic bags are now allowed in....one gallon max...women can carry a hand clutch as long as it is no bigger than ones hand......."some" medical pouches "might" be allowed following a "thorough inspection by stadium personnel"......the topper? No more seatbacks or bench cushions

What else will KAI think of to thin the already anemic herd that likes to call Memorial home on Saturday's in the fall?

I'm almost certain that by November, we could see a ban on outerwear! I know I can smuggle more in a parka than I can a cargo short or my wife can sneak in in her purse. And God knows my very comfortable Jayhawk Logoed seatback has NO PLACE in at Kivisto Field/Memorial Stadium.

I think the product will be worth watching. The rest of the nazi like restrictions are worthy of a fan boycott. No cushions or seat backs eliminates me from attending.

#2017194 - 05/09/17 08:30 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
I guess I know who has an iron arse! Seriously I agree that it seems silly to outlaw temporary seat backs. After all I could remove my shoes and "create a safety issue". Let's outlaw removable footwear!!

#2017195 - 05/09/17 09:58 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
I guess I know who has an iron arse! Seriously I agree that it seems silly to outlaw temporary seat backs. After all I could remove my shoes and "create a safety issue". Let's outlaw removable footwear!!
I guess I know who has an iron arse! Seriously I agree that it seems silly to outlaw temporary seat backs. After all I could remove my shoes and "create a safet issue". Let's outlaw removable footwear!!
I Attend a lot of basketball and football games locally because I have nieces and nephews that are playing in high school. I won't go to a game without my seat back.... saves my back. Whoever made these rules probably sits in a lounge chair in a suite.

#2017196 - 05/09/17 10:18 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Outlawing the seat backs is crazy!

#2017197 - 05/10/17 09:05 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: bigdogjac]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
the clear bag policy has been in effect at k-state for a couple years now.
i'm surprised ku is this late implementing same.

#2017199 - 05/10/17 09:51 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am aware of the Litterbox restrictions.........the clear bag issue is one thing, the banning of carry in seatbacks and butt cushions ????? How the hell is that promoting public safety? They state that this is tied to the concealed carry gun stuff.......if so, like I already said, will they ban outerwear next?

Honestly, the entire issue is more about revenue....but which genius actually thinks making things more difficult for the half of a house KU currently gets is going to get better or that more $$$$$ will flow in due to these asinine restrictions? How many gunfights have actually broken out the past 80 years, ANYWHERE in college sports?

True I would have loved to pop a cap or two into a Bugeater or Tigger over the years, but I refrained.

So let's recap the KU Gameday experience.

Let's start with parking.......never a snap for the average guy, but the more significant issues:

1. Can't hear the band
2. Public address system used to BLARE worst rock music in the history of mankind to decibel levels damaging to the human ear. (Could kill a canine!)
3. Limited number of gates open forcing a horrific funnel affect coming in.
4. Overpriced CRAP for concessions
5. "Select-A-Seat"
6. South endzone barcoloungers
7. Countless "commercials" on the video board, nothing to do with football or even college sports.
8. Tricycle races and pizza topping contest idiocy between quarters
9. A football field named for a KU basketball player and a bench named for the most loyal Jayhawk ever, a quarter mile up the hill from same field? That alone lets one know where the priorities of KAI lay!
10. Game times dictated by TV. That's OK in a way, no reason to attend games anymore. Simply DVR the damn things save $350 on a season pass, another $200 in parking, $250 in crap concession food, sit in a comfortable chair or lay down on your sofa and fast forward through all the crap. Because the product on the field that has been the very worst in KU history for the better part of a decade.

I'm DONE with this crap. Everyone has their breaking point, but after 42 years of holding a season ticket myself and before that, going with my Dad who had season tickets starting in the mid 50's, KAI and the Williams Fund can officially say goodbye to my financial and physical support.

#2017200 - 05/10/17 09:51 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Wow. KSU is so progressive about their bag policy. I'm personally awestruck by their unique innovation to use clear bags so much earlier than KU.

On a serious note, KU still lists a free Jayhawk seatback with season ticket purchase. I doubt they take those away.

Maybe if they stop letting (other) people (that are definitely not me) sneak in booze in their bags, they'll start selling it inside someday.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017201 - 05/10/17 09:57 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Wow. KSU is so progressive about their bag policy. I'm personally awestruck by their unique innovation to use clear bags so much earlier than KU.

On a serious note, KU still lists a free Jayhawk seatback with season ticket purchase. I doubt they take those away.

Maybe if they stop letting (other) people (that are definitely not me) sneak in booze in their bags, they'll start selling it inside someday.

That seatback with season ticket purchase actually costs an additional $50....hope they let people bring a towel through the gates..no one from KAI will wipe the damn things off after a rain or even a morning dew.

#2017202 - 05/10/17 09:59 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Not for 2017. From KU Athletics -
"As an added benefit for the 2017 season, all season ticket purchases include a FREE Jayhawk seatback."

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/2016/7/14/kutickets-com-football.aspx

#2017206 - 05/10/17 11:50 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
So the question remains, can you carry a litterbox into a Kstate game?

#2017208 - 05/10/17 02:17 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: 58hawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
So the question remains, can you carry a litterbox into a Kstate game?

nope. you have cats to nurture?

#2017209 - 05/10/17 02:29 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

In the good ol' days, you could get live chickens into a KSU game.

What gives?

#2017215 - 05/10/17 04:57 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Not for 2017. From KU Athletics -
"As an added benefit for the 2017 season, all season ticket purchases include a FREE Jayhawk seatback."

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/2016/7/14/kutickets-com-football.aspx

BUT, they RAISED the price by $50 before announcing the "FREE" seatback. KAI doesn't miss a beat my friend!

#2017222 - 05/10/17 05:44 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I hate all the never ending new rules, regulations, and so called safety precautions going on everywhere. These included, but as I never really bring much in with me to the games, I guess I it won't affect me personally much. Still don't like it.

I find it weird that KU football managed to have more than 600 homes games over a period of 127 years without the need for these new regulations, but now suddenly we do. Kind of like how millions of people managed to fly the "friendly" skies just fine without first having to take off their shoes. All of this is just a bunch of crap to deceive people into thinking they're more safe now because of it IMHO. I get it, that there's morons and evil dimwits out there who may try to exploit anything they can, but this kind of stuff doesn't really do much to dissuade them though.

The biggest part of these new KU rules I don't like is the seat cushion being banned. I know quite a few people who need that along with a seat back because they've got back problems. Ironically a couple of them have back problems because of their football playing days. It may suck you can't bring in your own seat back now, but at least you can still get one if you need one even if it costs you some more $$.

Also, none of this is gonna prevent students and others from being able to smuggle in their favorite alcoholic beverage of choice.

#2017228 - 05/10/17 11:14 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Kman_blue]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

On the seat back thing..I've gotten old enough that I require a seatback on bleachers. That bein said, I've sat beside a couple in Memorial Stadium that brought their own in. Keep in mind this was back when we were winning some games and it wasn't unusual to have a good crowd. My son played four years of college ball elsewhere, so I missed being in the stadium for the worst of it. They would fold them both out and take up three seats. They were nice. Wide and comfortable. But it forced everybody else to either scrunch or move. I'm a big boy, 275ish. I can only scrunch so much. So, I sort of get that.

#2017239 - 05/11/17 10:44 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I sit, or more like stand, in the student section, so it doesn't affect me. More fun then sitting with the other old folks.

#2017255 - 05/11/17 11:11 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Goober, I feel your pain. Problem is that those seat spaces were probably from way back. Today's fans are larger just like our players are. In late 60;s a HS teammate of mine, Niles Hauser, played OG at 220# for the Hawks . Now we have 300# OG's. Time to change the size of the seats. Not like it will effect our attendance.

Edited by bigdogjac (05/11/17 11:12 PM)

#2017258 - 05/12/17 08:22 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I've heard "real" seats were mentioned as a potential upgrade item going forward.

Beaty mentioned a $300M stadium renovation coming "soon" during his Phoenix version of his meet and greet with alums and fans.

So those of us that are still around in the 20 years it'll take Zenger to figure out how to come across $300M might see some changes.

#2017263 - 05/12/17 03:48 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: bigdogjac]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
Goober, I feel your pain. Problem is that those seat spaces were probably from way back. Today's fans are larger just like our players are. In late 60;s a HS teammate of mine, Niles Hauser, played OG at 220# for the Hawks . Now we have 300# OG's. Time to change the size of the seats. Not like it will effect our attendance.
Tell that to the airlines!

Air travel is more like flying in a can of sardines nowadays.

#2017264 - 05/12/17 03:50 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I've heard "real" seats were mentioned as a potential upgrade item going forward.

Beaty mentioned a $300M stadium renovation coming "soon" during his Phoenix version of his meet and greet with alums and fans.

So those of us that are still around in the 20 years it'll take Zenger to figure out how to come across $300M might see some changes.
I'd love for them to have real seats in the upgrades. Also, in response to the bold part, I've heard they're going to be making an announcement on the stadium sometime in June. Fingers crossed it's gonna be the real deal announcement and not some smaller thing.

#2017266 - 05/12/17 04:28 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I have little faith in Zenger. Zenger keeps crying wolf about this, but no one else is seeing the wolf.

We didn't raise the money for Rock Chalk Park. Self's Assist Foundation donated 2M. City of Lawrence spent like 10.5 million. We're paying like 1.3M a year for 30 years (39M total) to Fritzel and Co. from our annual athletics revenue.

We didn't raise money for the football dorms--it's coming from university money. Zenger got a couple million for the locker rooms. He spent the large donation from the McCarthy's. Those two might have cost $15M. Where is he getting money from for the stadium renovations?

I honestly don't see him being able to raise the money through legitimate means. Not trying to be cynical as much as realistic about what Zenger's shown.

#2017270 - 05/12/17 08:34 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Wow what a cynical a-hole!

#2017274 - 05/12/17 09:33 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Kman_blue]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Now that is a racket! I always upgrade to "comfort seats" in coach. $20-$35 extra per leg of the trip. Gives more leg room, but not width. To tight to pay for 1st class.

#2017392 - 05/19/17 04:32 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I have little faith in Zenger. Zenger keeps crying wolf about this, but no one else is seeing the wolf.

We didn't raise the money for Rock Chalk Park. Self's Assist Foundation donated 2M. City of Lawrence spent like 10.5 million. We're paying like 1.3M a year for 30 years (39M total) to Fritzel and Co. from our annual athletics revenue.

We didn't raise money for the football dorms--it's coming from university money. Zenger got a couple million for the locker rooms. He spent the large donation from the McCarthy's. Those two might have cost $15M. Where is he getting money from for the stadium renovations?

I honestly don't see him being able to raise the money through legitimate means. Not trying to be cynical as much as realistic about what Zenger's shown.

The goose that laid the GOLDEN egg is going extinct (see recent ESPN news). College Athletics better start preparing now because the cash cow that is TV is more than a tiny bit sick right now. Geesh, imagine if coaches would have to cut back a bit and make only a million a year! SWAG would be limited........taxpayers aren't going to want to foot the bill for any stadium upgrades, anywhere or anytime....what would the point be? Old Memorial gets used 6 days a year plus sunny weather graduation. No point in putting any more money in it, for seats or anything else. Keep going the way they have been they could remove the east and west extensions, then maybe have a game or two that might come close to selling out!

#2017393 - 05/19/17 05:01 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Only clear plastic bags are now allowed in....one gallon max...women can carry a hand clutch as long as it is no bigger than ones hand......."some" medical pouches "might" be allowed following a "thorough inspection by stadium personnel"......the topper? No more seatbacks or bench cushions.

UPDATE!

I received a reply to my e-mail to KAI regarding the core issue to me, seatbacks and/or BUTT cushions.

According to KAI, this is 100% for FAN SAFETY...did you all know that a weapon can be smuggled into the stadium in a butt cushion? Seatbacks or even more capable of smuggling....I looked at mine and still can't figure out where I would hide the pistol, guess I'm not as smart as KAI.

F'em, I'm done supporting stupidity.

#2017401 - 05/20/17 09:18 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Fan Safety? They've either way over thought that, or it's just a bullbutter explanation to a stupid rule. Neither of which are good. They need to do everything they can to attract and accommodate fans. Not irritate them. This is a perfect example of the disconnect between Joe Fan and academia.

#2017408 - 05/20/17 09:15 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Goober]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

seat cushions are allowed at k-state.

#2017411 - 05/21/17 11:43 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

No one cares.

#2017412 - 05/21/17 12:40 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: tmcats
As well as tractor parking out front.

#2017414 - 05/21/17 03:16 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: tmcats]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
I thought the internet wasn't delivered to Bluemont fans until the Wells Fargo wagon train arrives on Wednesdays.

#2017415 - 05/21/17 03:45 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: tmcats]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: tmcats
don't tell me. They're made of cowhide.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview