Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017228 - 05/10/17 11:14 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Kman_blue]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

On the seat back thing..I've gotten old enough that I require a seatback on bleachers. That bein said, I've sat beside a couple in Memorial Stadium that brought their own in. Keep in mind this was back when we were winning some games and it wasn't unusual to have a good crowd. My son played four years of college ball elsewhere, so I missed being in the stadium for the worst of it. They would fold them both out and take up three seats. They were nice. Wide and comfortable. But it forced everybody else to either scrunch or move. I'm a big boy, 275ish. I can only scrunch so much. So, I sort of get that.

#2017239 - 05/11/17 10:44 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I sit, or more like stand, in the student section, so it doesn't affect me. More fun then sitting with the other old folks.

#2017255 - 05/11/17 11:11 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Goober, I feel your pain. Problem is that those seat spaces were probably from way back. Today's fans are larger just like our players are. In late 60;s a HS teammate of mine, Niles Hauser, played OG at 220# for the Hawks . Now we have 300# OG's. Time to change the size of the seats. Not like it will effect our attendance.

Edited by bigdogjac (05/11/17 11:12 PM)

#2017258 - 05/12/17 08:22 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
I've heard "real" seats were mentioned as a potential upgrade item going forward.

Beaty mentioned a $300M stadium renovation coming "soon" during his Phoenix version of his meet and greet with alums and fans.

So those of us that are still around in the 20 years it'll take Zenger to figure out how to come across $300M might see some changes.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017263 - 05/12/17 03:48 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: bigdogjac]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
Goober, I feel your pain. Problem is that those seat spaces were probably from way back. Today's fans are larger just like our players are. In late 60;s a HS teammate of mine, Niles Hauser, played OG at 220# for the Hawks . Now we have 300# OG's. Time to change the size of the seats. Not like it will effect our attendance.
Tell that to the airlines!

Air travel is more like flying in a can of sardines nowadays.

#2017264 - 05/12/17 03:50 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
I've heard "real" seats were mentioned as a potential upgrade item going forward.

Beaty mentioned a $300M stadium renovation coming "soon" during his Phoenix version of his meet and greet with alums and fans.

So those of us that are still around in the 20 years it'll take Zenger to figure out how to come across $300M might see some changes.
I'd love for them to have real seats in the upgrades. Also, in response to the bold part, I've heard they're going to be making an announcement on the stadium sometime in June. Fingers crossed it's gonna be the real deal announcement and not some smaller thing.

#2017266 - 05/12/17 04:28 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

I have little faith in Zenger. Zenger keeps crying wolf about this, but no one else is seeing the wolf.

We didn't raise the money for Rock Chalk Park. Self's Assist Foundation donated 2M. City of Lawrence spent like 10.5 million. We're paying like 1.3M a year for 30 years (39M total) to Fritzel and Co. from our annual athletics revenue.

We didn't raise money for the football dorms--it's coming from university money. Zenger got a couple million for the locker rooms. He spent the large donation from the McCarthy's. Those two might have cost $15M. Where is he getting money from for the stadium renovations?

I honestly don't see him being able to raise the money through legitimate means. Not trying to be cynical as much as realistic about what Zenger's shown.

#2017270 - 05/12/17 08:34 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Wow what a cynical a-hole!

#2017274 - 05/12/17 09:33 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Kman_blue]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Now that is a racket! I always upgrade to "comfort seats" in coach. $20-$35 extra per leg of the trip. Gives more leg room, but not width. To tight to pay for 1st class.

#2017392 - 05/19/17 04:32 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
I have little faith in Zenger. Zenger keeps crying wolf about this, but no one else is seeing the wolf.

We didn't raise the money for Rock Chalk Park. Self's Assist Foundation donated 2M. City of Lawrence spent like 10.5 million. We're paying like 1.3M a year for 30 years (39M total) to Fritzel and Co. from our annual athletics revenue.

We didn't raise money for the football dorms--it's coming from university money. Zenger got a couple million for the locker rooms. He spent the large donation from the McCarthy's. Those two might have cost $15M. Where is he getting money from for the stadium renovations?

I honestly don't see him being able to raise the money through legitimate means. Not trying to be cynical as much as realistic about what Zenger's shown.

The goose that laid the GOLDEN egg is going extinct (see recent ESPN news). College Athletics better start preparing now because the cash cow that is TV is more than a tiny bit sick right now. Geesh, imagine if coaches would have to cut back a bit and make only a million a year! SWAG would be limited........taxpayers aren't going to want to foot the bill for any stadium upgrades, anywhere or anytime....what would the point be? Old Memorial gets used 6 days a year plus sunny weather graduation. No point in putting any more money in it, for seats or anything else. Keep going the way they have been they could remove the east and west extensions, then maybe have a game or two that might come close to selling out!

#2017393 - 05/19/17 05:01 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
In yet another example of superior marketing of an inferior product, KAI today announced a new policy regarding carry-in items at Old Memorial.

Only clear plastic bags are now allowed in....one gallon max...women can carry a hand clutch as long as it is no bigger than ones hand......."some" medical pouches "might" be allowed following a "thorough inspection by stadium personnel"......the topper? No more seatbacks or bench cushions.

What else will KAI think of to thin the already anemic herd that likes to call Memorial home on Saturday's in the fall?

I'm almost certain that by November, we could see a ban on outerwear! I know I can smuggle more in a parka than I can a cargo short or my wife can sneak in in her purse. And God knows my very comfortable Jayhawk Logoed seatback has NO PLACE in at Kivisto Field/Memorial Stadium.

These idiots claim to do it for "fan safety". Horse Hockey!

UPDATE!

I received a reply to my e-mail to KAI regarding the core issue to me, seatbacks and/or BUTT cushions.

According to KAI, this is 100% for FAN SAFETY...did you all know that a weapon can be smuggled into the stadium in a butt cushion? Seatbacks or even more capable of smuggling....I looked at mine and still can't figure out where I would hide the pistol, guess I'm not as smart as KAI.

F'em, I'm done supporting stupidity.

#2017401 - 05/20/17 09:18 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Fan Safety? They've either way over thought that, or it's just a bullbutter explanation to a stupid rule. Neither of which are good. They need to do everything they can to attract and accommodate fans. Not irritate them. This is a perfect example of the disconnect between Joe Fan and academia.

#2017408 - 05/20/17 09:15 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: Goober]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
seat cushions are allowed at k-state.

#2017411 - 05/21/17 11:43 AM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

No one cares.

#2017412 - 05/21/17 12:40 PM Re: KAI strikes again! [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: tmcats
seat cushions are allowed at k-state.
As well as tractor parking out front.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview