Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017181 - 05/08/17 06:07 PM Early Signing Period Approved
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

ESPN reported that the early signing period received final approval and will run from Dec 20 - 22, 2017. This helps KU football by cutting down on the time that other schools have to poach our HS recruits. It also coincides well with our new locker room and new housing. Now if Beaty and his coaching staff can put together a solid season we should see a nice uptick in recruiting results.

A CBS article I read mentioned a few other points on the early signing period. It will occur during bowl season which also should help KU if we are not in a bowl game. The KU coaches can put all of their time into recruiting while other coaching staffs are focused on bowl games. Also the early signing period will fall into the time frame of when coaches are fired which will free up more players as they back out of their verbals. It also will let the KU coaches lock down recruits earlier so they can put more focus on filling the remaining scholarships. The other thing it will do is make it harder for schools to over sign players because they will have to show how serious they are about an offer by the earlier deadline.

Edited by pizzanbeer (05/11/17 03:06 PM)

#2017218 - 05/10/17 05:06 PM Re: Early Signing Period Approved [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I believe the NCAA also just made rule changes that eliminates gray shirts and blue shirts starting in 2018, so schools won't be able to force a gray shirt on a recruit like some did.

I'm also not sure how this will play out. On the surface it seems like it could be a good thing for KU and other non-blue blood football schools, but I'm curious to see if most recruit will now take advantage of it and commit early to get things done faster or will most still wait until the traditional signing period. If most wait, then I don't think it changes much, but if most sign early then it should help KU out some.

Preview