Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017059 - 04/30/17 01:33 PM Texas Tech
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Anyone else have that game circled for Beaty? I'm telling ya'll that I'd give up the Ksuck/ISU games for a chance to see the Hawks club that baby seal and start putting a fork in those guys on a regular basis. We have beaten those guys once since the Big12 began (an overtime win in Lubbock in 2001). We've had some fantastic games (ie 2004 28 point dive, 1997 3 point heart breaker, 2012 triple overtime loss in Lubbock) and some absolute crappers (Crabtree's 50 point pounding against the Fightin' Manginos in 08, the punt outta our own endzone in 2013). However, we just never seem to be able to get one over against these turds.

And, at the moment, they're ripe for the picking. They've dramatically overspent on their stadium/coaches and may be stuck in a downward cycle for the next couple of years while they fix their financials. They've just lost the best QB in their history. They don't appear to play any defense. Their best WR just left campus. I'm telling ya'll, the Big 12 is a zero sum game and you've gotta step on someone to get outta the hole. These WestTejas schmucks appear to me to be a ripe target for Beaty to step on to get outta the basement.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2017069 - 04/30/17 09:21 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Has to start somewhere. That's as good a place as any. We're headed in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see at what speed we're travelling.

#2017071 - 04/30/17 10:22 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
From the perspective of today (4 months from home opener!) this game certainly looks winnable for KU.

I think you may be right in that Tech is on a somewhat downward trajectory right now, while KU is on an upward one. Hopefully that means we'll be passing them up this year.

#2017102 - 05/03/17 12:16 AM Re: Texas Tech [Re: Kman_blue]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
From the perspective of today (4 months from home opener!) this game certainly looks winnable for KU.

I think you may be right in that Tech is on a somewhat downward trajectory right now, while KU is on an upward one. Hopefully that means we'll be passing them up this year.

They may turn it around. Coach Bro certainly has the resume and Tech has all the recruiting access to DFW to make it work. But they've certainly spent their way into a hole. Their AD debt burden is the 2nd highest in the Big12 slightly ahead of OU's. To finance this debt, they give away MBB tickets w/ a $50 purchase at PigglyWiggly's and are teetering above a 55000 football stadium that never sells out except for OU/Horn$. Their Grape AD is kinda the opposite end of the spectrum from our Grape AD. Our guy refuses to mow the lawn in a million dollar neighborhood while their guy builds a million dollar mansion in a trailer park. I guess I'd take the more frugal grape. Less damage.

#2017121 - 05/03/17 09:05 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
HawksFB Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Completely agree about this matchup. Primarily because of schedule.

Tech
Sept 16: vs. Arizona St.
Sept 23: @ Houston
Sept 30: vs. Ok State
Oct 7: @ KANSAS
Oct 14: @ West Virginia

Sept 16: @ Ohio
Sept 23: vs West Virginia
Sept 30: Bye
Oct 7: vs Texas Tech
Oct 14: @ Iowa State

KU playing WVU then getting a bye to prep, while Tech is looking at their schedule and eyeing the trip to Lawrence as their 'Bye'.

Imagine if we get a cold snap for a week or so before for the team to prep for a game in the 40s.

Either way, it's no 'Bye'. They've got another thing comin!

#2017125 - 05/04/17 09:12 AM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
I like a lot of things about this matchup, but we got dominated by their backup QB last year. Hopefully we can improve on D enough to stop that from happening.

It's also a necessity to minimize the number of drives where we use minimal clock and gain less than 20 yards. We had a crazy number of drives all season where we had the ball for less than 2 minutes of game time, went less than 20 yards, and punted. We need to get much better at the field position battle and time of possession.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017142 - 05/05/17 02:58 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: dgless21]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
I like a lot of things about this matchup, but we got dominated by their backup QB last year. Hopefully we can improve on D enough to stop that from happening.

It's also a necessity to minimize the number of drives where we use minimal clock and gain less than 20 yards. We had a crazy number of drives all season where we had the ball for less than 2 minutes of game time, went less than 20 yards, and punted. We need to get much better at the field position battle and time of possession.

The collapse occurred at the point where Rosser was ejected for leading w/ his helmet and Armstrong was injured in the 3rd qt. Til that point, the score was 31 to 19 despite Cozart/Willis' per usual 4 turnovers and one pic 6 effort. Their backup came in and went 15 for 21 for 271 yards, but the guy was getting all the time in the world w/out our defensive ends. Had we played that game w/out the Willis/Cozart turnovers, we would've been right w/ them. til the end. This year w/ a home tilt and an upgrade at QB, we should be more competitive.

#2017155 - 05/06/17 11:57 AM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: John_Brown

The collapse occurred at the point where Rosser was ejected for leading w/ his helmet and Armstrong was injured in the 3rd qt. Til that point, the score was 31 to 19 despite Cozart/Willis' per usual 4 turnovers and one pic 6 effort. Their backup came in and went 15 for 21 for 271 yards, but the guy was getting all the time in the world w/out our defensive ends. Had we played that game w/out the Willis/Cozart turnovers, we would've been right w/ them. til the end. This year w/ a home tilt and an upgrade at QB, we should be more competitive.

You are totally off on the Willis/Cozart turnover stats, BTW. But it looks better to say it was 4 turnovers...

#2017157 - 05/06/17 04:32 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: KUCO_VOC]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

You are totally off on the Willis/Cozart turnover stats, BTW. But it looks better to say it was 4 turnovers...

Goodness. A stats nazi. Okay, it only felt like 4 turnovers. Here's the summary:

18 possessions
11 punts
2 TDs
2 end of periods
1 FG
1 Int
1 fumble

A total of 17 points (defense had one safety). Tech had 14 points off of turnovers. The defense, though, had the team in the game midway through the 3rd qt when we lost the pass rush. Tech didn't exactly stampede us w/ a 2nd string QB which was the point of the post.

#2017162 - 05/06/17 07:13 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Yes JB the TT game only had 2 not 4 turnovers. Let's not rip on Willis with "fake news". I'm no nazi but you are apparently a Trump fan.

A disaster!!

The defense gave up 55 points. Must be Willis/Cozart's fault. However if we get better defensively this year, some speculate we will be winning. I have some doubt.

Edited by KUCO_VOC (05/07/17 02:28 PM)

#2017213 - 05/10/17 04:44 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I guess I'd take the more frugal grape. Less damage.

LOL

Good point. though I think our grape is starting to spend some more money lately.

Back to the original discussion, if Tech comes out of the gates this year looking like they did in the 2nd half of the season last year, then I think KU will have a really good shot at beating them. I agree, last year our D was keeping us in the game and actually shutting down Mahomes until the ejection and injury happened. Our main problem for the first 2/3 of last year was our turnover machines at QB and overall poor O production. I think Meacham along with the influx of talent will greatly improve our O this year. If that proves to be true, then I think KU should be the favorite in this match up as despite Tech trying several different coaches/things to improve their D over the past few years, it still looks to be one of the worst if not the worst in the conference again this year.

Despite what some may think, I think for the first time in several years KU actually has a really good shot at winning more than 1/2 of our games this year. Not saying I think we'll win more than 1/2 of our games, but rather we'll have a legit shot at winning them.

#2017280 - 05/13/17 09:24 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
HawksFB Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

It's really interesting to read the national and regional writers break down Tech and Baylor.

From what I read, these are the two 'poachable' teams for KU. ISU and KU both hired quality coaches at the same time, so I'm very curious to see how each plays out. Beaty has the Texas recruiting ties and Campbell has the Ohio ties. Each is unique, especially with the timing.

But for one game next season (Texas Tech), I totally see Beaty & Co. getting the team up for a win early in the season.

#2017281 - 05/13/17 09:30 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
HawksFB Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

That last post was terrible grammar.

The Hawks on their way up will be fun to watch, and I feel Tech and Baylor are the teams to leapfrog.

#2017282 - 05/13/17 10:01 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: HawksFB]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

TT just had another player transfer out. On the Scout TT board they said for their 2014 and 2015 classes they signed 46 players and only 16 are left. TT should come into Lawrence tired after ASU, Houston and Ok State. If Perry and Bowen can figure out how to replace our secondary I think we have a shot.

#2017609 - 05/30/17 12:51 PM Re: Texas Tech [Re: John_Brown]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I just have a weird suspicion that KU will win a conference game by 3 scores this year. They'll just have a game where everything clicks. I don't know if it'll be Tech, Baylor or at the Clones or Horny Toads.

But yeah, KU has to beat Tech.

Preview