Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016901 - 04/18/17 11:05 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
My bad. The K-state game is not the last game this year. Not sure why they didn't continue it.

#2016908 - 04/18/17 05:17 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: vmlb
The strength of a program solely rests on depth. Do we have depth? If we have more wins this year and have injuries to key players, that will show a major improvement. 2 wins with key injuries will also show improvement.
5-31? Beaty doesn't survive that bomb...

#2016909 - 04/18/17 05:20 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
My bad. The K-state game is not the last game this year. Not sure why they didn't continue it.
KSU probably doesn't feel it's a rivalry season ender anymore. Maybe someday.

#2016936 - 04/20/17 04:01 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I thought the defense was pretty dominant. Now of course, the offense was playing vanilla and the defense has seen the plays but still, the D-Line is going to be near unstoppable for long stretches of games this season, and the (mostly fresh) secondary was all over the field. Armstrong and Wise are absolute beasts and Lee will be All Big12 this season along with Armstrong.

Offense didn't look terrible however. O-Line looked slightly improved but the off season conditioning and more and more experience are the only way to really improve that young group. I thought all 3 QBs looked good at times. If I was going to hand the reigns to one today it would be Stanley though. Maybe Bender will take over through Summer and Fall camp, we'll see. Whoever the starter is though, they have some serious weapons at WR. That is going to be a fun group to watch with Meachum at the wheel.

Rock Chalk!

#2016939 - 04/21/17 09:34 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
I was impressed by Ehambe. He had three sacks, but even if he can just be good enough to get regular pressure, it helps the D and definitely helps Wise, Holmes, Armstrong, and the other DL to disrupt the offense.

Tyreik has the tools, but he's not mentally ready. His throws to Harrell and Lassiter were impressive, but he also took a delay of game on his second play. Stanley wasn't overly accurate, but he had the second string WRs. He also got stopped by the rules on many of his runs.

OLine will play better as the ones get to play as a unit.

If Octavious and Dom are better than Martin and Herbert, our offense might finally show some positive signs of life.

Liam Jones needs to be able to start on day one.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016940 - 04/21/17 10:15 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

I totally agree with your comment about Jones needing to own the weakest spot right now.

The earlier comment of Frankenhawk regarding a dominating defense is ignoring the brand new secondary behind them on the line. But we can hope it holds up as good as last year. I would be happier about Bowen's work definitely.

#2016966 - 04/24/17 04:29 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: track
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
I was pleased and encouraged with what I saw on espn3. It's hard to get a fully true picture of where we are in such a game (scrimmage). How it all will translate to real game time remains to be seen, but I believe we will be more competitive and will see an increase in wins. I've said that we have to give Beaty at least five years before judging him. Increased improvement will make me happy once again. I believe we will see that.

Disagree...."wait at LEAST five years before judging him" The clock starts ticking this year..The judging begins.. Year three progress needs to be made...the program needs to be better than it was last year.. Year four will tell the story as to his recruiting abilities, his development of players and his coaching ability as it regards game preparation....no excuses. Year 5 the program should totally have his fingerprint on it....good or bad...whether he is a keeper or time to send him on his way.

Just a reminder...Old Coach Fam went bowling in year THREE in both his stints as head man....back when going to bowls wasn't quite as Easy as it is now days. Nothing wrong at all for some judgments to be made about DB during and following this coming season.

#2016969 - 04/24/17 06:20 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
I was pleased and encouraged with what I saw on espn3. It's hard to get a fully true picture of where we are in such a game (scrimmage). How it all will translate to real game time remains to be seen, but I believe we will be more competitive and will see an increase in wins. I've said that we have to give Beaty at least five years before judging him. Increased improvement will make me happy once again. I believe we will see that.

Disagree...."wait at LEAST five years before judging him" The clock starts ticking this year..The judging begins.. Year three progress needs to be made...the program needs to be better than it was last year.. Year four will tell the story as to his recruiting abilities, his development of players and his coaching ability as it regards game preparation....no excuses. Year 5 the program should totally have his fingerprint on it....good or bad...whether he is a keeper or time to send him on his way.

Just a reminder...Old Coach Fam went bowling in year THREE in both his stints as head man....back when going to bowls wasn't quite as Easy as it is now days. Nothing wrong at all for some judgments to be made about DB during and following this coming season.

That is ancient history. Different times different issues. Let's talk about coach fams fourth years to be fair. That being said I hope if or when DB turns the corner he maintains the momentum better than coach fam did his fourth years.

Edited by track (04/25/17 06:47 AM)

#2016989 - 04/26/17 09:53 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
To be "fair", Fam took over a huge trainwreck in 1979, quickly recruited top players and had a winner in 1981. Fam's 4th years were both marred by heavy injuries and we simply didn't have the depth to overcome losing key players. Don't forget that in October of 74, Fam had KU in the Top10 before losing the entire starting backfield for the season. The AD pulled the trigger WAY too quick in 74 as Moore took Fams kids and went bowling in 75.

Now being "fair" what I pointed out was Beaty is ENTERING year three of a trainwreck. No reason to NOT start actually judging the mans ability as a head coach. To be honest, I haven't seen anything from DB that leads me to believe he has the tools to be an effective game day coach. His overall grade as CEO of the program cannot honestly be higher than a "C". Nothing special about the guy at all as far as I can tell.

My rating of DB against former Hawk Grid bosses as follows:

DB < Fambrough, Mason and Mangino and equal to Gottfried/Val and > Moore and Allen in recruiting.

DB < Fam, Mason, Mangino, Gottfried, Moore and Val and equal to Gameball in game day coaching.

DB = Gottfried and > all others at "self promotion".

Can DB improve on his "<" thans? Sure, and he better because the clock is ticking!
DB = Gottfried

#2016991 - 04/26/17 02:10 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
To be "fair", Fam took over a huge trainwreck in 1979, quickly recruited top players and had a winner in 1981. Fam's 4th years were both marred by heavy injuries and we simply didn't have the depth to overcome losing key players. Don't forget that in October of 74, Fam had KU in the Top10 before losing the entire starting backfield for the season. The AD pulled the trigger WAY too quick in 74 as Moore took Fams kids and went bowling in 75.

Now being "fair" what I pointed out was Beaty is ENTERING year three of a trainwreck. No reason to NOT start actually judging the mans ability as a head coach. To be honest, I haven't seen anything from DB that leads me to believe he has the tools to be an effective game day coach. His overall grade as CEO of the program cannot honestly be higher than a "C". Nothing special about the guy at all as far as I can tell.

DB < Fambrough, Mason and Mangino and equal to Gottfried/Val and > Moore and Allen in recruiting.

DB < Fam, Mason, Mangino, Gottfried, Moore and Val and equal to Gameball in game day coaching.

Can DB improve on his "<" thans? Sure, and he better because the clock is ticking!
DB = Gottfried

DB = Gottfried

As I said, different times different issues. Way back then kids stayed closer to home. Now travel is easier and everyone is on tv so kids can go farther from home and mom and dad can still watch the kid. Ku pretty well owned the state competing against an inept Kstate that was often on probation and being led by the likes of Vince Gibson,Ellis rainsburger, and Jim dickey. Now ku has to compete against the Snyder machine and the best kids often leave the state. After years of neglect of the state high school coaches and ineptness on the field we have lost our pipelines in the state. You don't see David jaynes and Laverne smith at ku.
Comparing coaches of different eras is like comparing athletes of different eras. It can't be done. Saying Vince Lambardi was better than Bill Belicheck or vice versa is just a waste of time....just as it is saying Ali was better than Joe Louis or vice versa.

Edited by track (04/26/17 02:29 PM)

#2016999 - 04/26/17 09:31 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas

Absolutely true in both of coach Fam's tenures IMHO. Coach Fam was a GREAT recruiter and a good overall coach who got bit by an overly anxious AD and several key injuries.

Also, if you look at the initial records of many of the best coaches over the past 50-60 years, you often find them taking steps backward in year 4 before things bounce back onto the same trajectory from years 1 to 3. Most at least take a sideways step in their 4th years. In fact it's just about the norm for whatever reasons.

As for your evaluation of coach Beaty, not sure I agree with a lot of your assessment. Agree with some of it, but probably disagree the most with the self promotion part. I haven't seen coach Beaty self promoting at all really. He's been trying to promote the program to recruits, fans, and donors. It hasn't at all been about himself, but rather the program, the University and the city of Lawrence rather.

#2017000 - 04/26/17 10:11 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
What did you think?
First impression.. as I was walking to the stadium....kick ass music coming from the stadium....what were they playing? I have to get that tune.

QB...As DB said about Bender, " that 'Dude' can fling it". Quite a contrast to Stanley's funky delivery but I thought they both looked good...Bender better though. The defensive line is impressive to look at. Finally we have some guys along the line that look like Big 12 sized players and they look athletic. I walked out of the stadium feeling pretty good about the team....the offense should be vastly improved this year if the offensive line can take the next step ....my only concern is the defensive backfield...the rest of the defense looks solid. Great weather for the game other than being a little windy.
Off the top of my head, my first impression was we've got possibly the best DL in the entire Big 12. I think this may be the best DL we've had in my lifetime actually, and that includes the Stubblefield/Brown DL under Mase. J.J. Holmes looked just about unblockable and strong as an ox in addition to Armstrong and Wise both still looking great. Ehambe had a really solid outing also and I think he's another solid guy on the DL for us. I also think Holani is another quality guy on our DL right now.

Our WR group is STACKED. Man, we've got a few All-Big 12 caliber WR's. A couple of Charlot's catches were freaking UNREAL! He's got hands like vice grips. If the ball is within arms length, it's HIS. He was very well covered on that sideline grab and didn't even bobble the catch 1 tiny bit. Sims looked great too. He looks fast and smooth still. I agree that Schadler seemed to get open at will, finding the gaps and seams in the D with great speed. Despite getting rocked by Lee, he held on to the ball on the 1st big hit and popped right back up. I really love this kids talents, attitude, and toughness. Harrell looks like he's taken a big step forward already since the end of last year too. Really athletic and has good size and great leaping ability. Kwame Lassiter looked really smooth and deceptively fast too. He ran smooth seamless routes. Really impressive for a walk-on. Kerr Johnson looked dangerous. He looked like he could break a big one just about any time he got the ball. I think he's gonna be 1 of our sleeper recruits from this past class. Gonzalez looked good too. He's still blazing fast and has the ability to make people miss, but what really stood out to me was how much better he was blocking and running routes. He looked like a much more complete WR to me.

Ben Johnson, while not a WR obviously led both teams in receiving yards and looked good doing it. He's got some talent and if we use him more, I think he too can have a good season receiving the ball. I'm really excited about all of the offensive weapons we've got and how Meachum is going to use them. I believe 4 out of the past 5 years, Meachum's O's have averaged more than 500 yards per game and I think he's got enough talent here to come close to doing that again.

The QB's all had their moments. Starks still looks really raw to me though. Stanley and Bender both looked good, but bring 2 totally different sets of skills to the table. Bender looks like the most polished passer and has a real quick release, while Stanley is just a gamer with some good wheels. First time I thought we've had 2 quality QB's in a long time. For what it's worth, David Lawrence on the radio after the game gave the Player of the Game award to Bender.

Martin and Herbert both looked better to me. Both look like they've improved since last season. When Williams and Matthews get on campus we should be solid at the RB spot with good depth.

The DB's played alright. Hasan Defense looked really good to me in addition to Lee still looking really good. A couple guys had some breakdowns on some plays, but Mayberry, Torneden, and a couple other guys had some really good plays too. Overall, the backfield is still a work in progress I think, but should solidify more in the summer.

The LB's played well for the most part. Dineen looked good. He seems to have picked things right back up from where he left off from his injury last year. Loneker looked good too. Kid has great instincts at that position. Watching the game live it was hard for me to tell how much the great DL play was helping the LB's look good. I'll have to try and watch the video to get a better idea.

Both OL's looked good to me. Baldwin struggled at times with his technique and got beat, but man he's strong and athletic. He just needs more repetition and practice IMHO. The snaps from C on both teams though was atrocious. Those guys need to really work on their snaps. Just about 1 out of every 3 or so snaps was low. Our QB's were athletic enough to recover all of them, but this wasn't a real game and that probably wouldn't have been the case in a real game. G play looked solid and some guys looked quick on their feet. Adeniji is just not human. LOL He looks like an NFL level OT already to me. He's just really really good and weighs about 35lbs. more than he did last season and didn't look any less athletic or light on his feet. Overall, the OL looked good, but still work to be done with guys needing to work on technique and getting more comfortable working with the other OL on their blocking schemes. The last part could be do to them playing with guys they haven't been practicing with, even though coach Beaty said before the game that's no excuse as every OL should be prepared to play with any other OL and not just the 1's with the other 1's and the 2's with the other 2's. Overall the OL looked relatively good with good depth and that's with 1 of our probable 1's, Ribordy, not playing do to injury. Better depth than we've had in a long time on OL.

Oh, and yes it was windy as all hell, but the FG kicking didn't look good at all. The punting was inconsistent with some (82 yarder!) looking great and others looking poor. We'll need these guys to step it up and get more consistency IMO. I think we've got some talent at these positions though, so I'm hopeful.

The crowd was nice and I'd say it was about 2/3 to 3/4 bigger than last year. I didn't do my mental scan of the stadium to guesstimate the number though. Got too tied up in other things that day.

I'm sure I forgot some guys and probably have other thoughts pop up in my mind later on or after I watch the video of the game.

#2017015 - 04/27/17 06:57 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Crowd size was surprisingly nice. i pulled up to the stadium expecting a spot in the parking lot and not only it was full but people were parking/tailgating in the grass and used up all the spots there as well.

#2017016 - 04/27/17 07:03 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

DL with a weak secondary will not be the best in the BIG 12 this year. Let's be realistic now about how the spring game went. People aren't attending the games for some reason, let's wait for a few games before crowning this group BEST EVER.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview