Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016856 - 04/16/17 07:31 AM spring game impressions?
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
What did you think?
First impression.. as I was walking to the stadium....kick ass music coming from the stadium....what were they playing? I have to get that tune.

QB...As DB said about Bender, " that 'Dude' can fling it". Quite a contrast to Stanley's funky delivery but I thought they both looked good...Bender better though. The defensive line is impressive to look at. Finally we have some guys along the line that look like Big 12 sized players and they look athletic. I walked out of the stadium feeling pretty good about the team....the offense should be vastly improved this year if the offensive line can take the next step ....my only concern is the defensive backfield...the rest of the defense looks solid. Great weather for the game other than being a little windy.

#2016857 - 04/16/17 10:01 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I didn't get to see the entire thing, but I agree the QB position looks more solid that we have seen for awhile.
I wouldn't rate either above the other at this stage unless each had opportunity to perform in company of both squads. When one has more high quality options to work with than the other it presents an inaccurate result.
Overall it seemed to me like our squad looks to be at a much more competitive level than we have been for years. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2016858 - 04/16/17 10:12 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I thought Starks did some good things. Need to get him on the field in some capacity. I thought the passing game was solid given the wind. Also nice size of a crowd.

#2016859 - 04/16/17 11:16 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
I was legitimately worried that Lee was going to kill someone.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016860 - 04/16/17 11:21 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: dgless21
I was legitimately worried that Lee was going to kill Shadler.
FYP. There was two times in the first half that I saw.

#2016861 - 04/16/17 11:28 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I'm worried about the defense being counted on to carry us as last year. We have had some changes there, especially in the secondary. But overall defense may be less effective this season.

Both QBs showed their skills and at least the walk ons didn't kill the QBs. This was a more organized Spring game for Beaty.

#2016869 - 04/16/17 06:37 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
John Brown

I was pleased and encouraged with what I saw on espn3. It's hard to get a fully true picture of where we are in such a game (scrimmage). How it all will translate to real game time remains to be seen, but I believe we will be more competitive and will see an increase in wins. I've said that we have to give Beaty at least five years before judging him. Increased improvement will make me happy once again. I believe we will see that.

#2016870 - 04/16/17 06:59 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
I was pleased and encouraged with what I saw on espn3. It's hard to get a fully true picture of where we are in such a game (scrimmage). How it all will translate to real game time remains to be seen, but I believe we will be more competitive and will see an increase in wins. I've said that we have to give Beaty at least five years before judging him. Increased improvement will make me happy once again. I believe we will see that.

Disagree...."wait at LEAST five years before judging him" The clock starts ticking this year..The judging begins.. Year three progress needs to be made...the program needs to be better than it was last year.. Year four will tell the story as to his recruiting abilities, his development of players and his coaching ability as it regards game preparation....no excuses. Year 5 the program should totally have his fingerprint on it....good or bad...whether he is a keeper or time to send him on his way.

Edited by track (04/16/17 07:02 PM)

#2016871 - 04/16/17 07:00 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
pizzanbeer Online   content
Pure Jayhawk

On offense Charlot gives us a legitimate threat at WR. He showed good leaping ability for his catch on sidelines and good concentration on the short pass when Bender was under pressure. Bender did a good job finding Charlot and was accurate with his passes. Harrell and Kerr Johnson made some tough catches. Kerr with the catch in the back of the end zone and Harrell with the leaping 1 handed grab on the sidelines. Schadler has a knack for getting open. They need to find some longer pass routes for Gonzales. He can juke out 1 defensive back but not 2 or 3 plus closing LBs. Meacham needs to figure out how to use Ben Johnson in the offense because he can catch the ball and has the size to break tackles and gain more yards after the catch. Martin continues to impress me at RB because he can change direction with speed and power. Herbert has deceptive speed and can follow his blockers. Bragg hikes the ball low which worries me that the QB will fumble during real games. Our FG kicking game looked weak so Liam Jones should be the starter. OL blocking was so-so.

On defense DL did a good job putting pressure on the QBs. Armstrong looks like an NFL player. Is Long going to play DE or LB? Ehambe looked quick at DE. Mike Lee continues to be Mike Lee and can deliver a hit. However Beaty mentioned in his interview on Slant after the game that Lee needs to work on his tackling fundamentals.

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/16/17 07:35 PM)

#2016881 - 04/17/17 02:18 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
pizzanbeer Online   content
Pure Jayhawk

Did Willie McCaleb play in the spring game? I saw KeyShaun Simmons but I didn't see McCaleb.

#2016883 - 04/17/17 02:52 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: track

Disagree...."wait at LEAST five years before judging him" The clock starts ticking this year..The judging begins.. Year three progress needs to be made...the program needs to be better than it was last year.. Year four will tell the story as to his recruiting abilities, his development of players and his coaching ability as it regards game preparation....no excuses. Year 5 the program should totally have his fingerprint on it....good or bad...whether he is a keeper or time to send him on his way.

The judging began the day he took the job but expectations have been tempered. As long as he showed improvement, we have accepted that. Total wins were of low expectation. The same is true of this year, though there should be some improvement on total wins, but not a great jump. Year five is the year to really give judgement concerning his win totals, We should be really flirting with making it to a bowl game by then or at least having a real shot at it. If not, by then we may begin to conclude that he may not be the man. But give him at least that much time.

#2016886 - 04/17/17 03:24 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The judging began the day he took the job but expectations have been tempered. As long as he showed improvement, we have accepted that. Total wins were of low expectation. The same is true of this year, though there should be some improvement on total wins, but not a great jump. Year five is the year to really give judgement concerning his win totals, We should be really flirting with making it to a bowl game by then or at least having a real shot at it. If not, by then we may begin to conclude that he may not be the man. But give him at least that much time.
We no longer judge this squad by it's enthusiasm running on and off the bus. Thank god.

If we don't judge him until 5+ years the AD is fired.

#2016889 - 04/17/17 07:04 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think 3 or 4 wins is realistic for this year and would like to see one of those be a road win. And maybe this is the year we take down K-State. Its a home game and last game of the year (Senior Day) and maybe we show improvement at the end of the season like we did this year with the Texas upset.

#2016893 - 04/17/17 10:40 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: 58hawk]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
I think 3 or 4 wins is realistic for this year and would like to see one of those be a road win. And maybe this is the year we take down K-State. Its a home game and last game of the year (Senior Day) and maybe we show improvement at the end of the season like we did this year with the Texas upset.

I agree. I like the idea of a take down of K-State this year. Improvement should take place throughout the season.

#2016897 - 04/18/17 08:14 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The strength of a program solely rests on depth. Do we have depth? If we have more wins this year and have injuries to key players, that will show a major improvement. 2 wins with key injuries will also show improvement.

#2016901 - 04/18/17 11:05 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

My bad. The K-state game is not the last game this year. Not sure why they didn't continue it.

#2016908 - 04/18/17 05:17 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: vmlb
The strength of a program solely rests on depth. Do we have depth? If we have more wins this year and have injuries to key players, that will show a major improvement. 2 wins with key injuries will also show improvement.
5-31? Beaty doesn't survive that bomb...

#2016909 - 04/18/17 05:20 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
My bad. The K-state game is not the last game this year. Not sure why they didn't continue it.
KSU probably doesn't feel it's a rivalry season ender anymore. Maybe someday.

#2016936 - 04/20/17 04:01 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I thought the defense was pretty dominant. Now of course, the offense was playing vanilla and the defense has seen the plays but still, the D-Line is going to be near unstoppable for long stretches of games this season, and the (mostly fresh) secondary was all over the field. Armstrong and Wise are absolute beasts and Lee will be All Big12 this season along with Armstrong.

Offense didn't look terrible however. O-Line looked slightly improved but the off season conditioning and more and more experience are the only way to really improve that young group. I thought all 3 QBs looked good at times. If I was going to hand the reigns to one today it would be Stanley though. Maybe Bender will take over through Summer and Fall camp, we'll see. Whoever the starter is though, they have some serious weapons at WR. That is going to be a fun group to watch with Meachum at the wheel.

Rock Chalk!

#2016939 - 04/21/17 09:34 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
I was impressed by Ehambe. He had three sacks, but even if he can just be good enough to get regular pressure, it helps the D and definitely helps Wise, Holmes, Armstrong, and the other DL to disrupt the offense.

Tyreik has the tools, but he's not mentally ready. His throws to Harrell and Lassiter were impressive, but he also took a delay of game on his second play. Stanley wasn't overly accurate, but he had the second string WRs. He also got stopped by the rules on many of his runs.

OLine will play better as the ones get to play as a unit.

If Octavious and Dom are better than Martin and Herbert, our offense might finally show some positive signs of life.

Liam Jones needs to be able to start on day one.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016940 - 04/21/17 10:15 AM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I totally agree with your comment about Jones needing to own the weakest spot right now.

The earlier comment of Frankenhawk regarding a dominating defense is ignoring the brand new secondary behind them on the line. But we can hope it holds up as good as last year. I would be happier about Bowen's work definitely.

#2016966 - Today at 04:29 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

Just a reminder...Old Coach Fam went bowling in year THREE in both his stints as head man....back when going to bowls wasn't quite as Easy as it is now days. Nothing wrong at all for some judgments to be made about DB during and following this coming season.

#2016969 - Today at 06:20 PM Re: spring game impressions? [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Just a reminder...Old Coach Fam went bowling in year THREE in both his stints as head man....back when going to bowls wasn't quite as Easy as it is now days. Nothing wrong at all for some judgments to be made about DB during and following this coming season.

That is ancient history. Different times different issues. Let's talk about coach fams fourth years. That being said I hope if or when DB turns the corner he maintains the momentum better than coach fam did his fourth years.

Edited by track (Today at 07:00 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview