Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016686 - 04/07/17 01:52 PM Jace Sternberger to transfer
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Per Benton Smith's twitter

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016691 - 04/07/17 02:12 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Perhaps Jace wasn't a "Fast dude"?????

#2016693 - 04/07/17 02:19 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Beaty recruit who didn't get PT from DB. Hmmm

#2016698 - 04/07/17 02:58 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: beenahawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Perhaps Jace wasn't a "Fast dude"?????

I wonder if they weren't pressuring for a position change? Looks like a Div1a DE HM Big12 to me. If so, it seems to be a lost opportunity. Beaty needs to muscle these things. Where would Mase have been w/out LanceFlashbarth at DE?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2016699 - 04/07/17 03:15 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Not sure what is missing here as Johnson is pretty much the only tight end.

#2016702 - 04/07/17 03:56 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
This is disappointing, but like a lot of kids, I imagine he likely believed he was going to see the TE in the middle of the action. (I know I'd like to see the TE utilized more.) In 2016, Johnson and Sternberger totaled 11 catches in 12 games. Maybe they're avoided because they are unreliable receivers, but I'd be interested in the percentage of offensive snaps that occurred last season with no true TE in the alignment.

I've said it previously, that with 12 WRs on the roster now and with most of the 2017 recruits still to report, this coach/staff seems enthralled with a certain skill set, that doesn't seem to include the things a TE does.

#2016703 - 04/07/17 04:00 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
Receptions are what is missing here....you have a pass catching TE, in an offense that afforded 11 receptions to TE's the entire year. With 10 of those going to the first string guy in Johnson.

I'm sure Jace had visions of getting Mundine type numbes thrown his way, but that hasn't panned out in this new offense. not surprised at all when I saw the TE numbers.

#2016707 - 04/07/17 04:16 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
bigdogjac Online   happy
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
He is a great kid and well thought of down here in Oklahoma. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#2016720 - 04/08/17 04:04 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Online   content
Pure Jayhawk

Beaty has talked about using an H back in place of a TE and when I checked the roster Tabor was listed as a TE. Tabor isn't listed on the roster right now though but he was a month or so ago. When Tabor was interviewed after committing to KU he said Beaty planned to use him as an H back. I think the fact that Beaty doesn't use the TE more in the offensive mix hurt us when we were trying to recruit TE's in the last recruiting class. We lost Terrell to Utah State, Lutz to N. Texas and McLeod to Texas-San Antonio. In Meacham's offense at TCU the TE only had 5 receptions last season so it's not like the TE will get more use under the new OC. However I do think the H back position will get more use but not with players that look like traditional TE's.

Here's a description of the H back position from Michael Felder on Bleacher report, "With the spread we are seeing teams that don't need the true to form tight end, rather, they need a player that is athletic enough to be versatile in their formations. A player that can put his hand on the line and block zone, lineup in the backfield to catch a shovel pass and flex outside of the tackle box to beat a linebacker in coverage; all on the same series of downs.

You see, ultimately, the H-back position is not as static as the ideal of tackle or guard, or even quarterback, for that matter. The players who do H-back "things" play tight end and they do fullback "stuff" as well. Tyler Eifert's a tight end on the roster, but when you see him flex out wide or go in motion behind the line, those are H-back things."

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/08/17 04:57 PM)

#2016723 - 04/08/17 09:17 PM Re: Jace Sternberger to transfer [Re: pizzanbeer]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
I think you've pretty much hit on it. I think we saw this towards the end of last year when it appeared they were using Zunica for a lot of the snaps that the TE had previously been getting. The mystery is that Johnson had been identified as having the best fall camp on the team and then disappeared when the regular season started. Maybe it will help focus recruiting...no sense expending resources to recruit a TE if you don't need one.

Preview