Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016682 - 04/07/17 12:29 PM Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking...
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
BillSelf?

Every day another article from someone yakking about the greatness of BillSelf. Dam, you'd think he'd just led the boys through the Battle of Tarawa or something. I don't pay much attention to KU MBB, but that guy is getting more credit for losing in the Elite Eight again than any coach in history. RoyWilliams academic diversion attempt at UNC is child's play relative to the LJW attempt to quell any sort of revolt against BillSelf's mediocre performance in the tournament over the last 5 years or so.

Reminds me of DOCTOR Tom Osborne's annual rotation through the Rotary Clubs of Nebraska's rubber chicken pot lucks back in the 1980s after their latest loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (04/07/17 02:38 PM)

#2016683 - 04/07/17 01:12 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
It is because HCBS was just inducted into the Naismith HOF. If it does not interest you than do not click on it. Pretty simple really.

Take way less time and energy to not click on it than it did to write your 150 word essay gripping about clicking on something that does not interest you.

#2016684 - 04/07/17 01:36 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
"I don't pay much attention to MBBL" should have been the last words posted and read.

#2016689 - 04/07/17 02:11 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Don't give JB too much grief, he's a Hawk GRID fan, not too damn many of that breed alive anymore...even in captivity!

That said, Mangino didn't get 1% of the current love HCBS gets from the LJW after winning the freaking Orange Bowl. Hell Mangino didn't even get 10% of the LJW love Beaty gets for winning 2 games after winning two bowl games in a row.

#2016690 - 04/07/17 02:11 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
jayhawk_4_life2 Offline
John Brown

Loc: one foot in slave state one fo...
Originally Posted By: John_Brown
BillSelf?

Every day another article from someone yakking about the greatness of BillSelf. Dam, you'd think he'd just led the boys through the Battle of Tarawa or something. I don't pay much attention to KU MBB, but that guy is getting more credit for losing in the Elite Eight again than any coach in history. RoyWilliams academic diversion attempt at UNC is child's play relative to the LJW attempt to quell any sort of revolt against BillSelf's mediocre performance in the tournament over the last 5 years or so.

Reminds me of DOCTOR Tom Osborne's annual rotation through the Rotary Club's of Nebraska rubber chicken pot lucks back in the 1980s after their latest loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl.

Sooooo don't talk about the guy who has tied the conference championships streak and was just inducted into the HOF? WOW I can't... I just can't!!!

#2016692 - 04/07/17 02:19 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: MICHHAWK]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Isn't every KU MBB coach in the HOF? It's part of the job. Given the resources this University devotes to MBB, a monkey could make the HOF coaching KU basketball. What Bill needs to start doing is putting more hardware in the trophy case and a little less cult of personality. Til he does that, I'd take some more articles about the football program's gradual improvement and fewer about the greatness of BillSelf.

#2016694 - 04/07/17 02:24 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: beenahawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Don't give JB too much grief, he's a Hawk GRID fan, not too damn many of that breed alive anymore...even in captivity!

That said, Mangino didn't get 1% of the current love HCBS gets from the LJW after winning the freaking Orange Bowl. Hell Mangino didn't even get 10% of the LJW love Beaty gets for winning 2 games after winning two bowl games in a row.

"I've seen KU fans cheer harder after a missed free throw."-HC Glen Mason on the KU crowd after his first game in Memorial.

Had we given Mase/theBuddha 10% of the press BillSelf is getting right now, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Come on LJW, be a newspaper and not a fluff machine.

#2016695 - 04/07/17 02:26 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Cannot write football success stories until there is one.

#2016697 - 04/07/17 02:53 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: KUCO_VOC]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room. Unlike Bill, Saban gets to big games and wins em. Yet he doesn't get this kinda publicity from the Tuscaloosa paper.

W/ KUFootball, the story isn't the success. It's the journey. Mangino was a sports reporter's dream. A quote machine and a walking physical dichotomy who dam near played for a MNC at the UofKansas. That '04 Texas game when he walked into that press conference and flipped off the Big12 was glorious. That's a story. Yet the LJW refused to stroke the guy when he needed it after he lost a couple of games like they've stroked BillSelf for another collapse. Makes me mad.

Edited by John_Brown (04/07/17 02:55 PM)

#2016728 - 04/09/17 09:25 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
the self strokes offset the crime articles.

#2016730 - 04/09/17 10:41 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: tmcats
the self strokes offset the crime articles.
Yea, the guy doesn't have a statue made of himself out front either Bob.

#2016735 - 04/09/17 03:16 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room. Unlike Bill, Saban gets to big games and wins em. Yet he doesn't get this kinda publicity from the Tuscaloosa paper.

W/ KUFootball, the story isn't the success. It's the journey. Mangino was a sports reporter's dream. A quote machine and a walking physical dichotomy who dam near played for a MNC at the UofKansas. That '04 Texas game when he walked into that press conference and flipped off the Big12 was glorious. That's a story. Yet the LJW refused to stroke the guy when he needed it after he lost a couple of games like they've stroked BillSelf for another collapse. Makes me mad.

Finally, we know why MM never sniffed a championship in 9 years. The LJW didn't print enough articles about how great a coach he was If only the LJW would have printed a story about his greatness.

#2016741 - 04/09/17 05:41 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The LJW pumped a lot of sunshine for Weis. Under new ownership the LJW's Keegan and Smith have provided more realistic coverage of KU football.

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/09/17 05:42 PM)

#2016747 - 04/09/17 06:57 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: vmlb

Finally, we know why MM never sniffed a championship in 9 years. The LJW didn't print enough articles about how great a coach he was If only the LJW would have printed a story about his greatness.

Not winning a championship was on Mangino and his crew. Not supporting the most successful coach in KUFootball history is on us. The LJW could've been dumping stories on SweetLew's chickenchit backstabbing in 2009 and broken up the narrative. The stories were there. Just recently they published a story about how the cop knew about the ticket scandal a year afore it came out.

Meanwhile, Bill rocks through a scandal clad season and blows another elite 8 attempt. Then 3 weeks worth of sugar coating for the guy. Why the variance in treatment?

Edited by John_Brown (04/09/17 06:58 PM)

#2016760 - 04/09/17 11:20 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Finally, we know why MM never sniffed a championship in 9 years.

We've been over this. No one in their right mind could possibly say that Mangino never "sniffed" a championship. There's a trophy in the case proving otherwise.

#2016764 - 04/10/17 07:08 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Bill Self just got induction selection to HOF JB. Mangino treatment is unrelated. Not much correlation between them. Can't undo Lew's issues with MM.

#2016765 - 04/10/17 08:16 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: JimWest

We've been over this. No one in their right mind could possibly say that Mangino never "sniffed" a championship. There's a trophy in the case proving otherwise.

I understand. Every bowl win is a "championship". 2016 football season there were 30+ teams that won championships.
It just saddens me that all these schools with football programs aren't as intelligent as you. Year after year, when coaching jobs come open, the ADs pass up the opportunity to hire him.

#2016766 - 04/10/17 09:16 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

I understand. Every bowl win is a "championship". 2016 football season there were 30+ teams that won championships.
It just saddens me that all these schools with football programs aren't as intelligent as you. Year after year, when coaching jobs come open, the ADs pass up the opportunity to hire him.

That's a great strawman you've created there. You handled him expertly.

Now, back to reality. Please explain to us how winning the Big 12 North division isn't "sniffing" a championship.

#2016787 - 04/11/17 12:31 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

That's a great strawman you've created there. You handled him expertly.

Now, back to reality. Please explain to us how winning the Big 12 North division isn't "sniffing" a championship.

Your right we sniffed it one year. Had we actually played in a championship game, we would have really sniffed it. At best we were the third best team in a 12 team conference. Most likely we were probably the 4th or 5th best team in a 12 team conference in 1 of the nine years MM was our coach. You could say being third is sniffing a championship.

#2016790 - 04/12/17 01:05 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Your right we sniffed it one year. Had we actually played in a championship game, we would have really sniffed it. At best we were the third best team in a 12 team conference. Most likely we were probably the 4th or 5th best team in a 12 team conference in 1 of the nine years MM was our coach. You could say being third is sniffing a championship.

Where are these phantom rankings coming from?

Trophy. In. The. Case.

#2016791 - 04/12/17 01:21 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Trophy. In. The. Case.

Phantom rankings are coming from the football field. That's where the team lost to the conference runner-up.

#2016793 - 04/12/17 02:48 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

the mangino thing here is so like the frank thing at k-state. revisionist history, hysterics, browbeating and all the rest.

#2016796 - 04/12/17 09:01 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: tmcats]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: tmcats
the mangino thing here is so like the frank thing at k-state. revisionist history, hysterics, browbeating and all the rest.

Nothing revisionist amongst the IronArses, catsrule. Down to a man we thought canning the Buddha was stupid. Everyone who sat through the 80s knew exactly what could happen. And it pretty much did only a bit worse.

The thesis here is that coaches like Devanney/Osborne/Snyder/Wilkerson/Self spend years at things like the BeefEmpireDays in GardenCity or the Rotary Club Carp Festival in Rulo nurturing a fanbase. This rabid fanbase will then protect them when they slip a little outta line and recruit convicted murderer LBers from Kalifornia Jucos or happen to hide a known murder weapon from a convenience store robbery in their office safe. (Those two examples actually happened at the PurplePigFarm and the BigRed.) BillSelf is currently using some of his fanbase currency to fend of deserved criticism from various off campus incidents and sucking in the Tournament. Good for him. The LJW is complicit in playing the game right now. I'm just asking wherethehe!! was the Buddha's love when SweetLew got the RedArse for him back in 2009?

#2016797 - 04/12/17 09:27 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Trophy. In. The. Case.

Phantom rankings are coming from the football field. That's where the team lost to the conference runner-up.

lol

#2016798 - 04/13/17 08:21 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

john brown, you make my case for me. i'm not sure about that murder thing, but whatever.

ole frank is missed more than the high school sweetheart 30 years later. all the memories are so sweet and enduring.

gone are the facts: player revolts, ncaa violations, bag men in baltimore and the like. just the love for jacob pullen remains.

it's really little different - frankie and the budda.

Edited by tmcats (04/13/17 08:26 AM)

#2016802 - 04/13/17 08:34 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Everyone knew there were negatives to Mangino/Martin, and compared to being 3-9 or worse since he left, those negatives were easier to deal with.

Similar to Martin, I can imagine most knew his issues. He won games, so it was worth keeping him through it.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016822 - 04/13/17 10:49 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

FM was 117-54 and made the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
MM was 50-48 and made bowls 4 out of 8 years.
IMO w/l records are not close.
But:.
1) MM took over crap, FM took over a program that was up and running.
2) It's a lot easier to turn around a BB program then a FB program. Next year's tigger BB program will show this.

Once FM had the program up and running, he maintained success. MM did not

#2016829 - 04/14/17 11:47 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

FM was 117-54 and made the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
MM was 50-48 and made bowls 4 out of 8 years.
IMO w/l records are not close.
But:.
1) MM took over crap, FM took over a program that was up and running.
2) It's a lot easier to turn around a BB program then a FB program. Next year's tigger BB program will show this.

Once FM had the program up and running, he maintained success. MM did not

MM not sustaining success? crazy Did anyone honestly think we'd be going to major bowls year after year? I wasn't too unhappy with Insight in 08 and would have been OK with another Chamber of Commerce Bowl in 09 (Ft Worth)

Less we forget, there was a MAJOR dustup between the grid and hoops squads along with mounting pressure for Lew and alumni pressure (GridIron Club Seating! LOL) before a top 20 Buddha squad fell to the Buffs in Boulder. I think it's safe to say that the 09 grid boys had MORE than their fair share of distractions and those only got worse as the season pressed on.

Going back, the LJW coverage of the grid/hoops dustup certainly felt slanted to the always loved basketball squad........which loops right back to the issue JB brought up in the first post of this thread.

#2016830 - 04/14/17 11:52 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Leave it to the litterbox to post something about their failed hoops program on a KU Football board thread!

The only thing equating Martin to Mangino is tempers...and I , for one, think Martin's is worse.

#2016831 - 04/14/17 01:30 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for reminding us of another similarity between FM and MM. Their ADs did not have their back. Apparently, according to beenahawk, that's why MMs team went down the tube. Since FMs team didn't go down the tube, he didn't have to use that excuse.

#2016835 - 04/14/17 01:44 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Considering Mangino's last season was exponentially better than every season since...not sure how far "down the tube" he really went.

#2016839 - 04/14/17 04:07 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Considering Mangino's last season was exponentially better than every season since...not sure how far "down the tube" he really went.

vmlb seems to think that the only measure of success for KU football is winning national championships.

Those of us that live in reality think that being over .500 consistently was pretty damn good.

#2016840 - 04/14/17 04:50 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Realistic expectations are key.

In basketball, we're a blue blood and perennial powerhouse with our worst coach in the last 100 years (Dick Harp) winning 60% (59.6%) of his games and able to get us to a final four.

Football coaching records? They're depressing. Choosing to discredit Mangino's coaching abilities is ignoring how bad KU football has been before and after his tenure.

#2016841 - 04/14/17 05:15 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for reminding us of another similarity between FM and MM. Their ADs did not have their back. Apparently, according to beenahawk, that's why MMs team went down the tube. Since FMs team didn't go down the tube, he didn't have to use that excuse.

Are you actually questioning whether Perkins had Mangino's (and the grid programs) best interest at heart back in 2009? Lew put extremely difficult hurdles in place, especially for a long, long suffering program and fan base. From "Select-A-Seat" to the Grid Iron Club Lew had one interest in mind, milk the grid program for every penny he could. No doubt in my mind that Lew Perkins GREED was a significant factor in the eventual fall of the entire grid program. And when it comes to Championships, it was PERKINS who moved the Misery game from Lawrence to Arrowhead in 07 the loss was bad enough, but the fan experience bordered on the worst I have EVER experienced.

The Buddha's termination has led to the darkest period in KU Football history, no way would it have ever have become this pathetic with Mangino still at the helm .

#2016845 - 04/14/17 09:25 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: beenahawk]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Are you actually questioning whether Perkins had Mangino's (and the grid programs) best interest at heart back in 2009? Lew put extremely difficult hurdles in place, especially for a long, long suffering program and fan base. From "Select-A-Seat" to the Grid Iron Club Lew had one interest in mind, milk the grid program for every penny he could. No doubt in my mind that Lew Perkins GREED was a significant factor in the eventual fall of the entire grid program. And when it comes to Championships, it was PERKINS who moved the Misery game from Lawrence to Arrowhead in 07 the loss was bad enough, but the fan experience bordered on the worst I have EVER experienced.

The Buddha's termination has led to the darkest period in KU Football history, no way would it have ever have become this pathetic with Mangino still at the helm .

My point was that neither coach had the support of their AD. Yes, we would have been better then we are currently had MM stayed. That's like saying the KU basketball team would be a better team with me starting at point, then the same team with my 97 year old Dad starting at point. Or like having a 2.0 GPA is better then having failed.

#2016848 - 04/14/17 09:32 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

vmlb seems to think that the only measure of success for KU football is winning national championships.

Those of us that live in reality think that being over .500 consistently was pretty damn good.

We just have different definitions for the word "consistently". What still amazes me is you are on the "fire Self" bandwagon.

#2016863 - 04/16/17 04:22 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

We just have different definitions for the word "consistently". What still amazes me is you are on the "fire Self" bandwagon.

Self has not improved the basketball program. Mangino dramatically improved the football program.

Simple.

#2016865 - 04/16/17 06:20 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Love the coach that takes an F program to a C level. Fire the coach that keeps an A program on an A level.

#2016866 - 04/16/17 06:22 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Self has not improved the basketball program. Mangino dramatically improved the football program.

Simple.
It's simple that you would prefer a bbl program as good as the football side. Simple.

#2016867 - 04/16/17 06:26 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Ted Owens is better then Roy and Bill.

#2016868 - 04/16/17 06:34 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Love the coach that takes an F program to a C level. Fire the coach that keeps an A program on an A level.

Bill Self has taken an A program to an A- level. He hasn't even maintained what Roy was doing.

#2016898 - 04/18/17 08:40 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I don't want Self fired. I just find it humorous that some of the posters on here get so bent out of shape if he receives any criticism whatsoever.

He's a top 6 coach. He's just had a lot of years where we lost a lot sooner than we should have.

#2016899 - 04/18/17 08:46 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Who are the five others?

#2016900 - 04/18/17 09:04 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The only five you could legitimately argue are: Roy, K, Pitino, Cal, and Izzo...in my opinion.

#2016913 - 04/18/17 05:28 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Ted Owens is better then Roy and Bill.

Actually a case could be made for that thought. Owens did manage 2 FF's in a 3 year span when even getting into the tournament was FAR more difficult than it has been the past 35 years.

I should also point out that the Hoops budget in 1974 was tops in the Old Big 8. By the time Monte decided to go coach shopping, the AD had managed to drop us to the #5 budget in the Big-8. Hoops budget went back to leading the conference upon Larry's arrival. Monte and the Wichita Mafia made damn sure of everything in those dark days.

Now days, we not only outspend everyone in the Big-12, we outspend just about everyone for hoops..........Football is the cash cow supporting all the other crap. Not that I think hoops is crap.

#2016914 - 04/18/17 06:43 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The only five you could legitimately argue are: Roy, K, Pitino, Cal, and Izzo...in my opinion.
I knew Izzo was in your mix. 1952 stats showed how horrible he is in the big games. But yet you moan about Self's big game issues. Hypocrisy

#2016917 - 04/19/17 08:24 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Again proving my point that one of you fanboys get bent out of shape for every slight criticism of Self.

Oh no, it's hypocrisy! I put Self in an unranked top six and compared him to a guy with SEVEN finals fours and the same amount of runner-ups and championships. FOR SHAME!

#2016920 - 04/19/17 09:50 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Again proving my point that one of you fanboys get bent out of shape for every slight criticism of Self.

Oh no, it's hypocrisy! I put Self in an unranked top six and compared him to a guy with SEVEN finals fours and the same amount of runner-ups and championships. FOR SHAME!

How dare you call into question the infallibility of THE GREAT DEITY BILL SELF.

#2016935 - 04/20/17 01:15 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

How dare you call into question the infallibility of THE GREAT DEITY BILL SELF.
If Self could only be more like Beaty.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview