Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016835 - 04/14/17 01:44 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Considering Mangino's last season was exponentially better than every season since...not sure how far "down the tube" he really went.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016839 - 04/14/17 04:07 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Considering Mangino's last season was exponentially better than every season since...not sure how far "down the tube" he really went.

vmlb seems to think that the only measure of success for KU football is winning national championships.

Those of us that live in reality think that being over .500 consistently was pretty damn good.

#2016840 - 04/14/17 04:50 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Realistic expectations are key.

In basketball, we're a blue blood and perennial powerhouse with our worst coach in the last 100 years (Dick Harp) winning 60% (59.6%) of his games and able to get us to a final four.

Football coaching records? They're depressing. Choosing to discredit Mangino's coaching abilities is ignoring how bad KU football has been before and after his tenure.

#2016841 - 04/14/17 05:15 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Thanks for reminding us of another similarity between FM and MM. Their ADs did not have their back. Apparently, according to beenahawk, that's why MMs team went down the tube. Since FMs team didn't go down the tube, he didn't have to use that excuse.

Are you actually questioning whether Perkins had Mangino's (and the grid programs) best interest at heart back in 2009? Lew put extremely difficult hurdles in place, especially for a long, long suffering program and fan base. From "Select-A-Seat" to the Grid Iron Club Lew had one interest in mind, milk the grid program for every penny he could. No doubt in my mind that Lew Perkins GREED was a significant factor in the eventual fall of the entire grid program. And when it comes to Championships, it was PERKINS who moved the Misery game from Lawrence to Arrowhead in 07 the loss was bad enough, but the fan experience bordered on the worst I have EVER experienced.

The Buddha's termination has led to the darkest period in KU Football history, no way would it have ever have become this pathetic with Mangino still at the helm .

#2016845 - 04/14/17 09:25 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: beenahawk]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Thanks for reminding us of another similarity between FM and MM. Their ADs did not have their back. Apparently, according to beenahawk, that's why MMs team went down the tube. Since FMs team didn't go down the tube, he didn't have to use that excuse.

Are you actually questioning whether Perkins had Mangino's (and the grid programs) best interest at heart back in 2009? Lew put extremely difficult hurdles in place, especially for a long, long suffering program and fan base. From "Select-A-Seat" to the Grid Iron Club Lew had one interest in mind, milk the grid program for every penny he could. No doubt in my mind that Lew Perkins GREED was a significant factor in the eventual fall of the entire grid program. And when it comes to Championships, it was PERKINS who moved the Misery game from Lawrence to Arrowhead in 07 the loss was bad enough, but the fan experience bordered on the worst I have EVER experienced.

The Buddha's termination has led to the darkest period in KU Football history, no way would it have ever have become this pathetic with Mangino still at the helm .

My point was that neither coach had the support of their AD. Yes, we would have been better then we are currently had MM stayed. That's like saying the KU basketball team would be a better team with me starting at point, then the same team with my 97 year old Dad starting at point. Or like having a 2.0 GPA is better then having failed.

#2016848 - 04/14/17 09:32 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: JimWest

vmlb seems to think that the only measure of success for KU football is winning national championships.

Those of us that live in reality think that being over .500 consistently was pretty damn good.

We just have different definitions for the word "consistently". What still amazes me is you are on the "fire Self" bandwagon.

#2016863 - 04/16/17 04:22 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

We just have different definitions for the word "consistently". What still amazes me is you are on the "fire Self" bandwagon.

Self has not improved the basketball program. Mangino dramatically improved the football program.

Simple.

#2016865 - 04/16/17 06:20 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Love the coach that takes an F program to a C level. Fire the coach that keeps an A program on an A level.

#2016866 - 04/16/17 06:22 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO

Self has not improved the basketball program. Mangino dramatically improved the football program.

Simple.
It's simple that you would prefer a bbl program as good as the football side. Simple.

#2016867 - 04/16/17 06:26 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Ted Owens is better then Roy and Bill.

#2016868 - 04/16/17 06:34 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Love the coach that takes an F program to a C level. Fire the coach that keeps an A program on an A level.

Bill Self has taken an A program to an A- level. He hasn't even maintained what Roy was doing.

#2016898 - 04/18/17 08:40 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I don't want Self fired. I just find it humorous that some of the posters on here get so bent out of shape if he receives any criticism whatsoever.

He's a top 6 coach. He's just had a lot of years where we lost a lot sooner than we should have.

#2016899 - 04/18/17 08:46 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Who are the five others?

#2016900 - 04/18/17 09:04 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The only five you could legitimately argue are: Roy, K, Pitino, Cal, and Izzo...in my opinion.

#2016913 - 04/18/17 05:28 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Ted Owens is better then Roy and Bill.

Actually a case could be made for that thought. Owens did manage 2 FF's in a 3 year span when even getting into the tournament was FAR more difficult than it has been the past 35 years.

I should also point out that the Hoops budget in 1974 was tops in the Old Big 8. By the time Monte decided to go coach shopping, the AD had managed to drop us to the #5 budget in the Big-8. Hoops budget went back to leading the conference upon Larry's arrival. Monte and the Wichita Mafia made damn sure of everything in those dark days.

Now days, we not only outspend everyone in the Big-12, we outspend just about everyone for hoops..........Football is the cash cow supporting all the other crap. Not that I think hoops is crap.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview