Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2016764 - 04/10/17 07:08 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Bill Self just got induction selection to HOF JB. Mangino treatment is unrelated. Not much correlation between them. Can't undo Lew's issues with MM.

#2016765 - 04/10/17 08:16 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: JimWest
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Finally, we know why MM never sniffed a championship in 9 years.

We've been over this. No one in their right mind could possibly say that Mangino never "sniffed" a championship. There's a trophy in the case proving otherwise.

I understand. Every bowl win is a "championship". 2016 football season there were 30+ teams that won championships.
It just saddens me that all these schools with football programs aren't as intelligent as you. Year after year, when coaching jobs come open, the ADs pass up the opportunity to hire him.

#2016766 - 04/10/17 09:16 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

We've been over this. No one in their right mind could possibly say that Mangino never "sniffed" a championship. There's a trophy in the case proving otherwise.

I understand. Every bowl win is a "championship". 2016 football season there were 30+ teams that won championships.
It just saddens me that all these schools with football programs aren't as intelligent as you. Year after year, when coaching jobs come open, the ADs pass up the opportunity to hire him.

That's a great strawman you've created there. You handled him expertly.

Now, back to reality. Please explain to us how winning the Big 12 North division isn't "sniffing" a championship.

#2016787 - 04/11/17 12:31 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

That's a great strawman you've created there. You handled him expertly.

Now, back to reality. Please explain to us how winning the Big 12 North division isn't "sniffing" a championship.

Your right we sniffed it one year. Had we actually played in a championship game, we would have really sniffed it. At best we were the third best team in a 12 team conference. Most likely we were probably the 4th or 5th best team in a 12 team conference in 1 of the nine years MM was our coach. You could say being third is sniffing a championship.

#2016790 - 04/12/17 01:05 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Your right we sniffed it one year. Had we actually played in a championship game, we would have really sniffed it. At best we were the third best team in a 12 team conference. Most likely we were probably the 4th or 5th best team in a 12 team conference in 1 of the nine years MM was our coach. You could say being third is sniffing a championship.

Where are these phantom rankings coming from?

Trophy. In. The. Case.

#2016791 - 04/12/17 01:21 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Trophy. In. The. Case.

Phantom rankings are coming from the football field. That's where the team lost to the conference runner-up.

#2016793 - 04/12/17 02:48 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
the mangino thing here is so like the frank thing at k-state. revisionist history, hysterics, browbeating and all the rest.

#2016796 - 04/12/17 09:01 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: tmcats]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: tmcats
the mangino thing here is so like the frank thing at k-state. revisionist history, hysterics, browbeating and all the rest.

Nothing revisionist amongst the IronArses, catsrule. Down to a man we thought canning the Buddha was stupid. Everyone who sat through the 80s knew exactly what could happen. And it pretty much did only a bit worse.

The thesis here is that coaches like Devanney/Osborne/Snyder/Wilkerson/Self spend years at things like the BeefEmpireDays in GardenCity or the Rotary Club Carp Festival in Rulo nurturing a fanbase. This rabid fanbase will then protect them when they slip a little outta line and recruit convicted murderer LBers from Kalifornia Jucos or happen to hide a known murder weapon from a convenience store robbery in their office safe. (Those two examples actually happened at the PurplePigFarm and the BigRed.) BillSelf is currently using some of his fanbase currency to fend of deserved criticism from various off campus incidents and sucking in the Tournament. Good for him. The LJW is complicit in playing the game right now. I'm just asking wherethehe!! was the Buddha's love when SweetLew got the RedArse for him back in 2009?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2016797 - 04/12/17 09:27 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Trophy. In. The. Case.

Phantom rankings are coming from the football field. That's where the team lost to the conference runner-up.

lol

#2016798 - 04/13/17 08:21 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
john brown, you make my case for me. i'm not sure about that murder thing, but whatever.

ole frank is missed more than the high school sweetheart 30 years later. all the memories are so sweet and enduring.

gone are the facts: player revolts, ncaa violations, bag men in baltimore and the like. just the love for jacob pullen remains.

it's really little different - frankie and the budda.

Edited by tmcats (04/13/17 08:26 AM)

#2016802 - 04/13/17 08:34 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Everyone knew there were negatives to Mangino/Martin, and compared to being 3-9 or worse since he left, those negatives were easier to deal with.

Similar to Martin, I can imagine most knew his issues. He won games, so it was worth keeping him through it.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2016822 - 04/13/17 10:49 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

FM was 117-54 and made the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
MM was 50-48 and made bowls 4 out of 8 years.
IMO w/l records are not close.
But:.
1) MM took over crap, FM took over a program that was up and running.
2) It's a lot easier to turn around a BB program then a FB program. Next year's tigger BB program will show this.

Once FM had the program up and running, he maintained success. MM did not

#2016829 - 04/14/17 11:47 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
FM was 117-54 and made the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
MM was 50-48 and made bowls 4 out of 8 years.
IMO w/l records are not close.
But:.
1) MM took over crap, FM took over a program that was up and running.
2) It's a lot easier to turn around a BB program then a FB program. Next year's tigger BB program will show this.

Once FM had the program up and running, he maintained success. MM did not

MM not sustaining success? crazy Did anyone honestly think we'd be going to major bowls year after year? I wasn't too unhappy with Insight in 08 and would have been OK with another Chamber of Commerce Bowl in 09 (Ft Worth)

Less we forget, there was a MAJOR dustup between the grid and hoops squads along with mounting pressure for Lew and alumni pressure (GridIron Club Seating! LOL) before a top 20 Buddha squad fell to the Buffs in Boulder. I think it's safe to say that the 09 grid boys had MORE than their fair share of distractions and those only got worse as the season pressed on.

Going back, the LJW coverage of the grid/hoops dustup certainly felt slanted to the always loved basketball squad........which loops right back to the issue JB brought up in the first post of this thread.

#2016830 - 04/14/17 11:52 AM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Leave it to the litterbox to post something about their failed hoops program on a KU Football board thread!

The only thing equating Martin to Mangino is tempers...and I , for one, think Martin's is worse.

#2016831 - 04/14/17 01:30 PM Re: Anyone else tired of the LJW stroking... [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for reminding us of another similarity between FM and MM. Their ADs did not have their back. Apparently, according to beenahawk, that's why MMs team went down the tube. Since FMs team didn't go down the tube, he didn't have to use that excuse.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview