Page 20 of 24 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2018730 - 07/04/17 09:16 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

My third book to read concerning a KU basketball coach is: “The Hang Up by Ted Owens with Jim Krause and Jesse Tuel, Foreword by Bill Self.” It is an autobiography with the other two giving assistance. It was published in 2013. I found it to be very interesting and well written. It gave me some insights to Coach Owens that I wasn’t aware of. He was a man of high character.

Two things made the book quite interesting to me. First, his boyhood days remind me, in many ways, of my own. Second, I greatly enjoyed reading his comments on his coaching days at KU. I had listened to many of those games on the radio and it brought back memories of the various players whose names I remember being called out while I listened to the games. I had forgotten about some of them.

I think he was a very good coach. He just had a few too many down years and could never quite get all the way to the top (the NCAA title). He did have a few unfortunate things happen, perhaps the biggest was the JoJo White out of bounds call. That may have ended his best opportunity for a NCAA title. I highly recommend the book to anyone who is interested in learning more about our past coaches.

#2018731 - 07/04/17 10:08 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: JimWest
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
So you're saying the guy who invented football is as famous as Naismith and Allen? That's funny.

Yeah, that's totally what I'm saying. It's not a comparison of relative fame whatsoever. It's exactly what your feeble rural mind is interpreting.
Well you're wrong so admit it.

lol

Wrong about what, exactly?
What, do I have to spell it out for you?

#2018732 - 07/04/17 10:27 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: 58hawk]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Again, yes. It's called communicating. If people don't understand what you're saying, you are failing as a communicator.

#2018733 - 07/05/17 09:29 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Again, yes. It's called communicating. If people don't understand what you're saying, you are failing as a communicator.
I already told you. The inventor of football is someone no one knows. Anyone with half a brain knows Dr. Naismith. Do all of us a favor and quit masturbating your ego!

#2018734 - 07/05/17 09:37 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: 58hawk]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

The inventor of football is someone no one knows.

you're so close...

Quote:
Anyone with half a brain knows Dr. Naismith.

...and then you do this

#2018742 - 07/06/17 03:48 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Two more books on our KU basketball coaches –
The first one is “Roy Williams with Tim Crothers, Hard Work–A Life On and Off the Court,” published in 2009. Roy shares about his boyhood and growing up. He spends some time on his college days but the greatest portion of his book is about his coaching and much of it deals with his days at KU.

The second one I read several years ago, “Bill Self, At Home in the Phog” by Bill Self with John Rohde, published in 2008. It has a similar pattern to William’s book in that he shares some about his childhood, growing up, college days and early coaching days. He spends a great part of the book on his days at KU.

I highly recommend both books along with the other three I’ve shared. Each of the these five books give you a much better understanding of each coach, their philosophies, approach to the game, etc. I’ve come to the conclusion that KU’s eight coaches have been top notch men who did a great job of leading KU basketball during their tenures. I think that Dick Harp and Ted Owens were much better coaches than our younger fans tend to think. Having only eight coaches over a period of 119 years in unheard of. Having the quality of coaches we’ve had makes that an even greater phenomenon, however, that is probably part of why we’ve only had eight.

#2018743 - 07/06/17 04:03 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Many probably ask who were the best of our KU coaches. I don’t think that can be answered. There is no doubt that we had two coaches who influenced the game of basketball more than any others. What greater influence could you have than to have invented the game? That was our first coach, Naismith. The influence that Allen had on the game is immeasurable. He is considered the father of basketball coaching. He was highly instrumental in sports health care management. He helped start the association of coaches, the NCAA, the NCAA Tournament, getting basketball into the Olympics, developing various aspects of the game, etc. The influence of the two men is second to none.

All of these men had really good coaching minds, even Naismith. That can be seen in the success of his protege, Coach John McLendon. He just didn’t see the importance of winning. To him it was a game to develop character, skill, team work, etc. Our last three coaches, Brown, Williams and Self have to be considered among the top modern day coaches. Their winning ways are phenomenal. I think that our fans of the past 34 years have become HIGHLY spoiled due to our great successes. We haven’t even come close to a losing season during this time and have been in all but one of the NCAA Tournaments and that was due to our not being allowed to by the NCAA. That is a real sore spot with me partly due to what they allowed UNLV do in spite of their violations, defend their title.

Here are the records of our eight coaches in order of winning % at KU:

Coach . . .Wins/Losses . . .Total games . Win % . . Seasons
Self . . . . . . 416 – 86 . . . . . . . 502 . . . . . .829 . . . . . . 14
Williams. . . 418 -101 . . . . . . . 519 . . . . . .805 . . . . . . 15
Brown . . . . 135 – 44 . . . . . . . 179 . . . . . .754 . . . . . . . 5
Allen . . . . . 590 -219. . . . . . . .809 . . . . . .729 . . . . . . 39
Hamilton . . 125 – 59. . . . . . . .184 . . . . . .679 . . . . . . 10
Owens . . . . 348 -182 . . . . . . .530 . . . . . .657 . . . . . . 19
Harp. . . . . . 121 – 82. . . . . . . .203 . . . . . .596 . . . . . . . 8
Naismith. . . . 55 – 60. . . . . . . .115 . . . . . .478 . . . . . . . 9
Totals . . . 2,217- 839. . . . . . 3,056 . . . . . .726 . . . . . .119

#2018744 - 07/06/17 05:05 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

It seems the only books you ever read are poorly-written ghost writes "by" basketball coaches and players. No wonder your grasp on basic statistics is so lacking.

#2018746 - 07/06/17 05:36 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

It seems the only books you ever read are poorly-written ghost writes "by" basketball coaches and players. No wonder your grasp on basic statistics is so lacking.

Oh, my reading goes far beyond basketball coaches and players, many of the others wouldn't apply to a basketball board, and now . . .

To the sickest they is,
To the negativist they is,
Did I say to the sickest they is?

Rant, rant, rant, rave, rave, rave,
Your mind is blowing out of your head.
The lack of function in your brain is very grave,
It’s very clear that your thinking skills are quite dead.
Your ranting and raving will not make me cave,
Therefore, I fully stand on what I’ve said.

#2018749 - 07/06/17 05:47 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The inventor of football is someone no one knows.

you're so close...

Quote:
Anyone with half a brain knows Dr. Naismith.

...and then you do this
Retard.

#2018750 - 07/06/17 06:59 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Sorry 52 and 58....your combined intelligence sucks compared to Jimbo West. But then again Jimbo West sucks co ck better than the both of you. A win win scenario.

#2018751 - 07/06/17 07:10 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Sorry 52 and 58....your combined intelligence sucks compared to Jimbo West. But then again Jimbo West sucks co ck better than the both of you. A win win scenario.

If the pipsqueak is an example of "intelligence," then I want no part of it. I have no problem with education and learning as I have two Master degrees. But he is an overbearing cockroach. His negativity makes the gutter seem like a golden highway. I'm sorry that you think 58 and I are so stupid, I thought better of you.

#2018752 - 07/06/17 10:25 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
I have no problem with education and learning as I have two Master degrees.

lol

"I went to class for 9 months, eYe SO aSmArT"

#2018753 - 07/06/17 11:01 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: JimWest]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

lol

Att leest dat wood bee 9 mor munths en class than yu. Ho, ho, ho.

#2018754 - 07/07/17 12:24 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

lol

Att leest dat wood bee 9 mor munths en class than yu. Ho, ho, ho.

lol

EyE pAYeD $10k 4 A DUGreEE WiPh A M In IT!!!!!!! ThAT MAkEZ ME SMARATZ

ENTrAnCE rEqUIRemeNTZZ?!?@ NOoOOooo, JUSt HAD tew HAlFVE A BA!@#!

Page 20 of 24 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >

Preview