Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015778 - 03/09/17 08:19 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Is RB a problem though? You have 4 talented guys that are going to get their fair share of carries. Williams rushed for 8,000 yards in Texas. They have some good teams that he rushed for those yards against. Matthews is the top JUCO RB. Was with Auburn, so he's no scrub. Martin will be back again. Has speed, just doesn't seem to have the vision yet. And Herbert is a damn good player. Would have played more if not for Kinner being really good late.

The 2 RBs that transferred in Thompson and Evans will help too.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/09/17 08:20 PM)

#2015794 - 03/10/17 09:55 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Evans was available last year and didn't do much.

Thompson projects to be more of a Pierson-type back. Speedy and probably not an every down, between the tackles kind of runner.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015834 - 03/11/17 12:23 AM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Evans was available last year and didn't do much.

Thompson projects to be more of a Pierson-type back. Speedy and probably not an every down, between the tackles kind of runner.

Evans was busy finishing off his under grad degree at Arkansas in the offseason so he couldn't train like he needed to. I expect him to be much better next season. I am looking forward to seeing what Thompson can do. He was a 3 star recruit coming out of HS so he has some talent. It is great to have so much depth and quality at RB.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/11/17 02:19 AM)

#2015839 - 03/11/17 01:31 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I agree, on paper we look to be quite deep and have a good amount of quality at the RB spot going into this season.

If I'm not mistaken, from biggest to smallest here's who we've got.

Reese Randall - 5'11" 216lbs. Jr. Walkon from Baldwin City, KS
Denzell Evans - 5'11" 215lbs. Sr. Bigger back who played quite a bit last year & transfer from Arkansas
Octavius Matthews - 6'1" 205lbs. Do it all kind of back, who was rated #1 JUCO RB in the nation & former Auburn commit out of Stevenson, AL
Taylor Martin - 5'10" 200lbs. Jr. A guy with great straight line speed who made some progress last year from Fort Worth, TX
Khalil Herbert - 5'9" 200lbs. Soph. Good vision & showed signs of taking the next step late last year from Coral Springs, FL
Dominic Williams - 5'9" 197lbs. True Fr. Surprisingly powerful 4 star back with great vision, great fluid cuts(doesn't lose any speed) and good speed & #7 all time HS RB in Texas history out of Frisco, TX Kid is a BEAST!
James Sullivan - 5'11" 193lbs. Sr. Walkon transfer from Fort Hays St. who saw action in 3 games last year out of Colorado Springs, CO
Ryan Schadler - 5'11" 191lbs. Soph. Speedster who also runs hard & played a lot as a true Fr. before taking last year off for medical reasons out of Hesston, KS He's added quite a bit of muscle now.

Deron Thompson - 5'9" 185lbs. Jr. Shifty quick speedster transfer from Colorado St. out of Wichita, KS

That's 9 RB's for this season and that doesn't count any of the big backs/H back types we've got coming in or already on the team. I think 7 of these 9 are legit D-1 RB's too who could make it into the rotation at a lot of places. I also think we've got 2 potential star RB's going into this season.

I like Schadler because of his top end speed and how hard he ran as a true Fr. I also like that he's added a good amount of muscle and strength. I hope Evans shows improvement as he's 1 of our biggest/strongest backs. If our OL can improve at point of attack run blocking, I think Evans could benefit the most out of all of our RB's. I'm really interested to see how Thompson looks during spring ball and going into the fall. I've heard some people describe him as a bigger Tony Pierson (as Dgless21 already alluded to). If he's got that kind of talent he could really supplement the RB rotation in a unique way. I also think Herbert could make a big improvement going into this season. He had some nice runs last year and looked a lot better towards the end of the year than he did earlier on.

The 2 guys who are the wildcards and I think could be star RB's are Dom Williams and Octavius Matthews. Matthews is an electric runner who does just about everything well, including catching passes out of the backfield. He showed an uncanny ability to slip through tight holes in his JUCO videos with real good acceleration through the hole. Williams just looked like an unstoppable monster last year in his Sr. HS season. He effortlessly made powerful full speed cuts leaving guys in the dust or sliding off of him like some rag dolls. He just kept on moving down field gaining yards while fighting off would be tacklers. I don't think KU has had a RB with as much talent coming in as Dom in a couple of decades or more.

Of course, this is all good and great if they live up to their potential. We'll hopefully get to see enough come spring ball from most of these guys to see how well they're doing. Curious about Schadler the most this spring actually and how they line him up as well. Real excited to see who's starting come fall also. I agree this is probably the deepest and with the most quality we've been at RB in a long time now they just have to get out there and prove themselves.

• Guess I don't have to wonder about where they line Schadler up at, as he's now listed at WR.

Edited by Kman_blue (03/13/17 06:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Looks like Sullivan is gone and Schadler now at WR

#2015867 - 03/11/17 03:36 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Nice write up on the RBs Kman. The other RB that I want to see is the walk on from the state of Alabama Kashe Boatner. He is 6'1" 230 and I hope his running style reminds me of Brandon McAnderson. We need a power RB for short yardage, around the goal line and to soften up the opposing LBs and CBs.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/11/17 04:42 PM)

#2015876 - 03/11/17 09:31 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I agree, out of all of the H Back/FB type guys KU got last year, he certainly seems like maybe the most intriguing. Kid has some good talent and his HS videos were impressive. I believe he also had some full ride offers out there as well as a couple preferred walkon offers from some SEC schools (think 1 was Alabama). Read some quotes from his HS coach in effect saying KU got a steal with him, so that's also encouraging and adds to my interest in him.

I suspect he could turn out to be one of those 2x3 guys that KU has offered lately, where coach Beaty has promised him a scholarship for his final 3 years if he comes and does everything asked of him for his 1st 2 years. I know he had a signing day ceremony at his HS where they said he signed a partial scholarship, but I know football can't give out partials anymore, so not 100% he's a 2x3 guy, just my best guess. He could have received a partial academic scholarship and also been promised the 2x3 deal. No matter how his deal went down. I won't be surprised if he's on a full football scholarship before he's done.

#2015923 - 03/13/17 04:47 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Walk ons have a bad rate of attrition and we both know it.

#2016153 - 03/19/17 01:45 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
True of any program.

#2016158 - 03/19/17 01:54 PM Re: Running Game [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
True of any program.
Then don't rely upon them to be roster filling.

#2016493 - Yesterday at 06:47 PM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
True of any program.
Then don't rely upon them to be roster filling.
As usual, you don't make sense.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview