I agree, on paper we look to be quite deep and have a good amount of quality at the RB spot going into this season.
If I'm not mistaken, from biggest to smallest here's who we've got.Reese Randall
- 5'11" 216lbs. Jr. Walkon from Baldwin City, KSDenzell Evans
- 5'11" 215lbs. Sr. Bigger back who played quite a bit last year & transfer from ArkansasOctavius Matthews
- 6'1" 205lbs. Do it all kind of back, who was rated #1 JUCO RB in the nation & former Auburn commit out of Stevenson, ALTaylor Martin
- 5'10" 200lbs. Jr. A guy with great straight line speed who made some progress last year from Fort Worth, TX Khalil Herbert
- 5'9" 200lbs. Soph. Good vision & showed signs of taking the next step late last year from Coral Springs, FLDominic Williams
- 5'9" 197lbs. True Fr. Surprisingly powerful 4 star back with great vision, great fluid cuts(doesn't lose any speed) and good speed & #7 all time HS RB in Texas history out of Frisco, TX Kid is a BEAST!James Sullivan - 5'11" 193lbs. Sr. Walkon transfer from Fort Hays St. who saw action in 3 games last year out of Colorado Springs, CO
Ryan Schadler - 5'11" 191lbs. Soph. Speedster who also runs hard & played a lot as a true Fr. before taking last year off for medical reasons out of Hesston, KS He's added quite a bit of muscle now.Deron Thompson
- 5'9" 185lbs. Jr. Shifty quick speedster transfer from Colorado St. out of Wichita, KS
That's 9 RB's for this season and that doesn't count any of the big backs/H back types we've got coming in or already on the team. I think 7 of these 9 are legit D-1 RB's too who could make it into the rotation at a lot of places. I also think we've got 2 potential star RB's going into this season.
I like Schadler because of his top end speed and how hard he ran as a true Fr. I also like that he's added a good amount of muscle and strength. I hope Evans shows improvement as he's 1 of our biggest/strongest backs. If our OL can improve at point of attack run blocking, I think Evans could benefit the most out of all of our RB's. I'm really interested to see how Thompson looks during spring ball and going into the fall. I've heard some people describe him as a bigger Tony Pierson (as Dgless21 already alluded to). If he's got that kind of talent he could really supplement the RB rotation in a unique way. I also think Herbert could make a big improvement going into this season. He had some nice runs last year and looked a lot better towards the end of the year than he did earlier on.
The 2 guys who are the wildcards and I think could be star RB's are Dom Williams and Octavius Matthews. Matthews is an electric runner who does just about everything well, including catching passes out of the backfield. He showed an uncanny ability to slip through tight holes in his JUCO videos with real good acceleration through the hole. Williams just looked like an unstoppable monster last year in his Sr. HS season. He effortlessly made powerful full speed cuts leaving guys in the dust or sliding off of him like some rag dolls. He just kept on moving down field gaining yards while fighting off would be tacklers. I don't think KU has had a RB with as much talent coming in as Dom in a couple of decades or more.
Of course, this is all good and great if they live up to their potential. We'll hopefully get to see enough come spring ball from most of these guys to see how well they're doing. Curious about Schadler the most this spring actually and how they line him up as well. Real excited to see who's starting come fall also. I agree this is probably the deepest and with the most quality we've been at RB in a long time now they just have to get out there and prove themselves.
- Guess I don't have to wonder about where they line Schadler up at, as he's now listed at WR.