Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015758 - 03/09/17 04:23 PM THANKS JACKSON
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
We're still a No. 1 seed, but Jackson's traffic ticket probably cost us the Midwest Regional site in Kansas City, and maybe the opening weekend Tulsa site.

Would it be asking too much for these kids to focus on nothing but BASKETBALL these next three weeks?. After all, that's why they're here at KU.

If ANY player still has unpaid tickets or court summonses, TAKE CARE OF THEM PLEASE.

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/09/17 04:24 PM)

#2015762 - 03/09/17 04:43 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Don't blame Josh...blame Self . He could have suspended him after his 2nd violation. Piss poor timing by Self. Anyone watching the 2 regular season games vs TCU knew it would be a tough game. But still an inexcusable loss.

#2015766 - 03/09/17 05:22 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Self only recently found out about it. This WAS the second violation.

Perhaps he should have suspended him after the first incident.

#2015772 - 03/09/17 07:30 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
JJ is a putz that let his team down.

Whatever the committee does with us now, we deserve. The children have been participating in nonsense off the court all season. It cost us today.

#2015774 - 03/09/17 07:57 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Dixon acted like it didn't make any difference that Jackson didn't play. If one of the best players in the nation doesn't play then your team is going to be diminished. Good lesson for Josh and the rest of the team. Also good lesson about going home early.

Get some rest, heal Devonte's ankle, and play pi$$ed off the rest of the way. I want double digit wins the first 2 games.

#2015779 - 03/09/17 08:24 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: jahawker2004
Self only recently found out about it. This WAS the second violation.

Perhaps he should have suspended him after the first incident.

Exactly my point. Losing in the first round of your conference tournament as a one seed is inexcusable. In fact ESPN guy just said that no team that lost thier first round conference tournament game and went on to win the NCAA tournament. .

Edited by PHOGUSHER (03/09/17 08:25 PM)

#2015783 - 03/09/17 08:41 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: MICHHAWK]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
JJ is a putz that let his team down.

Whatever the committee does with us now, we deserve. The children have been participating in nonsense off the court all season. It cost us today.

And the hits just keep coming. Time to quit making excuses for these kids and blaming the media. Enough is enough--

Father of KU women’s player: Attorney in Josh Jackson case ‘wanted to pay to make it all go away

BY LAURA BAUER
lbauer@kcstar.com
A lawyer for KU basketball star Josh Jackson offered restitution — where “money is no object, within reason” — to the family of women’s player McKenzie Calvert if they agreed not to seek charges against Jackson, according to Calvert’s father.

Tim Calvert said the offer came on Feb. 4, nearly two months after his daughter’s car was vandalized and two days after The Kansas City Star reported that Jackson and another University of Kansas men’s player were people of interest in the case.

“They wanted to pay to make it all go away,” Calvert said. “But it wouldn’t have gone away for my daughter. It would have been great for Josh, but not for McKenzie. ... This was never about money for me, it was about how my daughter was treated.”

Calvert said Lawrence attorney Hatem Chahine later put several stipulations on the restitution: that the family not pursue an investigation with the university; that they agree damages Jackson made to the car were of a misdemeanor amount; and, ultimately, that they agree they do not want the vandalism prosecuted.

During the Feb. 4 call, Calvert said he told the lawyer that the car was already fixed and insurance had taken care of all but his $250 deductible. There was nothing else to pay for, he told Chahine.

“There must have been other expenses,” Calvert said the attorney responded.

Calvert said he refused to accept any of the stipulations — two of them spelled out in a draft of an affidavit given to Calvert on Feb. 6 and obtained by The Star — or sign anything.

Jackson, 20, was charged Feb. 24 with misdemeanor property damage. He’s scheduled to be arraigned in Douglas County District Court on April 12.

The Star sent Chahine a list of questions, including whether he attempted to offer restitution to make the case go away. He did not respond to those questions. Chahine said he had been hired as local counsel for Jackson and forwarded a statement that attorney Scott Boatman released last week.

“Josh has already made a statement regarding this incident, which occurred almost three months ago in December,” said Boatman, a Denver attorney who has represented professional athletes. “The incident actually started in the club and did not initially involve Josh at all. Josh attempted to intervene to help and protect a teammate and unfortunately the matter escalated. Josh has apologized for his actions and has also offered to pay for any damages that he directly caused. He looks forward to moving past this so that he is able to focus on school and basketball.”

The reported vandalism happened outside the Yacht Club bar and restaurant in Lawrence just before 2 a.m. on Dec. 9. McKenzie Calvert and friends were leaving the club when she threw a drink inside the bar at Lagerald Vick, whom she had dated the year before. The Star earlier reported that a KU investigation in late 2015 and early 2016 had found that Vick likely struck Calvert multiple times. Vick has not been charged with a crime.

After Calvert threw the drink, Jackson allegedly followed her out and began kicking her car when she was in the driver’s seat. Calvert’s family released a statement last week to the newspaper describing the incident. Once other basketball players stopped Jackson, the family said, the men’s players left the scene and Calvert called 911.

Within hours of that call, Calvert has said that her coach, Brandon Schneider, suspended her and banned her from Allen Fieldhouse Dec. 9 and 10 for her actions inside the Yacht Club. The suspension initially was to include the Dec. 11 game against Rhode Island but was rescinded after Tim Calvert complained that Jackson wouldn’t be missing his game.

The university, including Schneider, has not answered questions regarding Calvert and her suspension. An official with the athletic department also did not respond to questions about the restitution.

After Jackson was charged with the misdemeanor, men’s coach Bill Self said Jackson had been disciplined “in-house” immediately after the incident. What that means, and what it included, wasn’t disclosed.

Jackson started all of KU’s regular season games but was suspended for Thursday’s Big 12 tournament opener following an unrelated traffic violation.

Jackson issued a statement after he was charged saying he was sorry and that he had “offered to pay for any damage that I directly caused.”

Tim Calvert takes issue with that.

“He’s making it seem like he offered an immediate deep apology and wanted to pay for things and take care of things, and they did not,” Calvert said. “No one contacted us before Feb. 4. ... They didn’t say, ‘How can we pay the auto shop for your car repair?’ It wasn’t that innocent.”

When Chahine called on Feb. 4, Calvert said, the attorney told him that Jackson’s mother didn’t know about the incident until recently and, if she had known, she would have immediately reached out to him had she been told about it. Efforts to reach Jackson’s mother, Apples Jones, have been unsuccessful and Chahine did not address a request from The Star to get in touch with her.

“He told me, ‘She would have wanted to pay for the damages,’ ” Calvert said.

On Feb. 6, Calvert said, his attorney called and said that Jackson’s attorney wanted to discuss whether the family would work with him to lower the damage to a misdemeanor charge rather than a felony. Damage over $1,000 is classified as a felony. The total damage to Calvert’s car was listed as $2,991 on the police report, but witnesses at the scene told police they could not identify others who also may have damaged the car.

“Our family never pushed for a felony charge,” Calvert said. “When I sat in the district attorney’s office, I told him, ‘I would not want a young man to have a felony for car vandalism.’ We never wanted that. We wanted accountability.”

Calvert said they wanted an investigation into how KU treated McKenzie in the wake of the vandalism report. At the end of January, Tim Calvert said, no coach from either team had reported the Yacht Club incident to KU’s Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, which handles Title IX complaints.

Calvert said he and his attorney then sent a letter to that office asking for an investigation of the Dec. 9 incident and how his daughter has been treated since.

Chahine initially told Calvert’s attorney that if he accepted restitution he would have to stop any action with the university, Calvert said. He and his wife were “shocked.”

“We were thinking, if that’s our son, and we were worried about him getting a felony, the last thing we’d be worried about is if (someone is concerned about) KU,” Calvert said. “I told my attorney, ‘No way.’ ”

Calvert’s attorney then received the proposed affidavit from Jackson’s attorney detailing the stipulations. There was nothing in writing about not seeking a KU investigation but, Calvert said, it did include him agreeing to other things he wasn’t comfortable with.

No. 4: “The amount of damage to the rear of the vehicle allegedly caused by Mr. Joshua Jackson is $_____. (less than $1000)”

Witnesses, including McKenzie, had already told police that Jackson kicked the door, Calvert said. Plus, it was nearly two months after the insurance company had already paid for all the repairs.

Ultimately, the Calverts declined the offer.

“We were not going to lie and say something happened that didn’t,” Calvert said. “We knew there were 10 or 12 people who gave statements saying that he kicked the door, so how are we now going to say he just kicked the taillight?”

Stipulation No. 7 would have required Calvert to agree that he didn’t “wish to have this matter prosecuted.” That is the first time anyone had even mentioned not seeking charges, he said. And the family wasn’t prepared to do that.

“If he never was charged, people would think, ‘He’s just a dude that walked by a car and kicked it,’ ” Calvert said. “It wasn’t that small, not to our family. It wasn’t that minor.”

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/09/17 08:45 PM)

#2015789 - 03/10/17 08:12 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Didn't read it, but let me guess:

Josh Jackson damaged a car. Calvert and family feel mistreated. Quotes from Calvert's side. Seems like it's the same story over and over with similar facts and a biased slant to Calvert and family.

But for reference:

Nate Bukaty‏ @nate_bukaty
I asked three different attorneys about this latest article regarding Josh Jackson and McKenzie Calvert. They all told me the same thing:

Nate Bukaty‏ @nate_bukaty
They said there is nothing unusual, unethical or illegal about an attorney attempting to settle a greivance for his client to avoid charges.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015816 - 03/10/17 07:28 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: dgless21]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Nate Bukaty is hardly an unbiased source.

You obviously didn't read the article. The UNIVERSITY is in the middle of this, demanding certain conditions.

Also, the incident happened in December, yet it wasn't until February an offer was made to pay damages and avoid court and media scrutiny. This was only AFTER the incident became public.

I think Josh Jackson is a nice, well spoken young man. But so is my son. And if my son behaves in an improper manner, I'm not gonna try to sweep it under the rug and avoid responsibility. I would hope you aren't one of those parents who enable and make excuses for their children's wrongdoing.

All this blaming of the media and smearing the reporters who are only doing their jobs is becoming embarassing. I have a great love for my university, I support it with my taxpayer dollars and private donations, but there comes a point where I can't just sit back and blame others for the damage being done to KU's reputation.

And if something is wrong and needs to be addressed, I absolutely WANT to know about it and that measures are being taken. I EXPECT to be informed of the facts and I'm not gonna smear the messenger.

Our basketball players have it good here at KU. We treat them well. Is it asking too much for them to conduct themselves in a manner that doesn't shame us?

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/10/17 07:33 PM)

#2015817 - 03/10/17 07:36 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Just stfu about this stuff. Is that too hard to ask. There is more than enough wannabe troll sports journalists out there. ..so again stfu.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (03/10/17 07:36 PM)

#2015818 - 03/10/17 07:50 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Gusher--a RESPONSIBLE adult would demand that all this behavior be dealt with appropriately and stopped. Instead, you want to excuse it, dismiss it, and pretend its okay.

And don't insult and question my motives and credentials. I have a Journalism degree and won many awards at the top of my profession before I retired.

And even if I were a "troll", I'm still a taxpayer and citizen. A loyal fan but definitely not just a jock sniffer. I'm under no obligation to "stfu".

You spend a lot of time here attacking the character of others. You won't do it to me.

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/10/17 08:24 PM)

#2015823 - 03/10/17 08:37 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I will do whatever I want. You don't know me and I do not want to know you. And I wasn't even addressing you. I was responding to everyone in general that thinks they have a clue to whats going on. Sitting Jackson cost KU an embarrassing loss. Self could have suspended him after his first violation.

So slow your roll taxpayer (lol wtf does that have to do with anything ) If anything I was attacking Self decisions pre game and during the game...technical. .I don't care about the non factoids. But I do get tired of the 30 yr olds ridiculing a kid that was just maybe too embarrassed to tell Self about another small traffic citation.

Kid has been nothing but great for old KU. I want to see him go out with a bang...not a whimper...pulling him from the B12 tourney was a jerk whimper like move. Don't make it personal it is not about you

#2015826 - 03/10/17 09:45 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

"There is more than enough wannabe troll sports journalists out there. ..so again stfu."

It was personal. That's verbatim.

"Kid has been nothing but great for old KU."

On the court, yeah. Off the court, hardly.

#2015827 - 03/10/17 09:48 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

It was a generalization statement. You need to relax
Off court issues with Josh are minor. Don't exaggerate non facts. No offense but i put journalist in the same group as lawyers. Whoops that was a generalization. Lol

#2015829 - 03/10/17 10:04 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

I attended KU back when 18y/o was legal drinking age.

I drank(and smoked) and carried on a lot. I NEVER went around vandalizing private property nor backing into and damaging other vehicles then driving off without notifying the owner of the car. (You characterize these as "non facts").

He's a good kid. But he needs to stay the hell away from a certain (unnamed) KU player off the court.

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/10/17 10:06 PM)

#2015837 - 03/11/17 01:17 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Ok. I can agree with that.

#2015849 - 03/11/17 11:14 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

JJ let his team down. You can blatherjabber til you are blue in the face. Won't change anything. JJ let his team down.

JJ is going to have 1 postseason in a KANSAS uniform. So far so bad.

#2015853 - 03/11/17 12:19 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Man are you going to feel stupid (well stupider than normal ) when JJ has six double doubles in a row leading KU to a National Championship.

#2015854 - 03/11/17 12:27 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

We need JJ to perform if we are going to be successful. He is OAD. Of the top of my head the only OAD that has performed and contributed to a deep run is XH. We need JJ to be more XH than KO, AW, JE, CA, CD. So far so bad.

I'm skeptical.

#2015858 - 03/11/17 02:46 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Man are you going to feel stupid (well stupider than normal ) when JJ has six double doubles in a row leading KU to a National Championship.

How and why will that make me feel stupid?

I have never on any post on any of these threads questioned his basketball prowess. I hope he does get six double doubles in a row.

And please make your mind up. Here you say we're gonna win the National Championship. On another thread you have us flaming out in the Round of 32.

Edited by jahawker2004 (03/11/17 02:48 PM)

#2015861 - 03/11/17 02:57 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

One or the other could happen. And my reply was for michhawk not you. Sorry if you're feeling left out.

#2015865 - 03/11/17 03:07 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

It said re:Jahawker2004, so I assumed you meant me.

And I don't feel left out when you contradict yourself. Just bemused.

#2015868 - 03/11/17 03:45 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Site error then....i posted that right after michhawk made his post about JJ. So untie those binded up drawers.

#2016038 - 03/17/17 08:39 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wow. This incident has a "stench" about it that won't go away. Really? Tough guy threatning to BEAT UP a woman? Really? Self covering for a obviously troubled perp! Really? this is not going to kelp KU polish this turd in the court of public opinion. A person's actions defining their character is always more important than ahem, basketball, Shame on any of you defending this "thug!" Hey, Jackson, if you want to fight take on Burton. He'd pound a mudhole in your skinny ass and walk it dry. IB

#2016040 - 03/17/17 09:12 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Iowababy - only stench I smell is the BS emanating from your piehole today. Burton won't be able to get away with his ham handed act in the next level of the tourney. BTW get him some more corn with that ham...

#2016043 - 03/17/17 09:45 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

ISU lucky to survive their first round game. Thats it for them plowbillies. I remember them as a 2 seed losing to a 15 several yrs back. Here is your revelance despite winning 3 B12 Conference Meaningless Tournaments in the last 5 yrs.

Final 4 totals:
Kansas Jayhawks -14
Iowee Sucklones - 1

Call us when you have 5 under your belt...or even 3 for that matter. No worries because neither will ever happen.

NEXT...NO CHAMPIONSHIP FOR YOU .

#2016046 - 03/17/17 10:25 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: KUCO_VOC]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

keep your eye on the ball. Ya got a thug representing you. nice! And Self doesn't care what's best for society and women in particular. Moving on......IB

#2016047 - 03/17/17 10:29 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL. The Big 12 Tournament is meaningless only when you don't win it which is often lately. After all, TCU is a POWERHOUSE! Seems to me you guys stepped on your collective dicks recently in the NCAA also. You are not infallible.IB

#2016048 - 03/17/17 10:47 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Winning the 2.5 month long conference season for the 13th consecutive time means about 100x more to anybody that actually understands the game of basketball.

But I am happy for da little Cyclones and their fanbase that whooping it up spending their yearly vacation money in KC . Its good for the local economy. Again the Cyclones will never make 5 Final 4s. But enjoy this season. After Burton..Morris and company leaves it will be back to stinkola bball in Ames.

#2016049 - 03/17/17 10:52 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

We beat your ass in Larryville last time we met didn't we? Stopped your streak? Opps. How soon we forget. Then you followed it up losing to TCU? Really? Wow. But turn Jackson loose as after all, he wanted to beat up a girl. Tough guy. IB

#2016050 - 03/17/17 10:53 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

BTW, The little Cyclones is Ames High School. IB

#2016051 - 03/17/17 10:58 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
columbusdjkc Offline
Baby Jay

LOL sure you beat us at our place and we beat you at yours. The only difference is that one of us walked away the undisputed Big 12 champs (by how many games was it?) and one of us didn't. By the way I'm glad you mentioned the streak of home games. When we beat you at your place what kind of streak were you on? Two games? Three? LOL see when you are a top program it's actually a big deal when you lose at home, but when you are Iowa State.... Well... It's just another loss, and the only one who accused Jackson of threatening to beat the girl up was the girl herself. The two witnesses that were on her side never backed up the statement. I'm not sure how things are done in Iowa but in the rest of the country you are innocent until proven guilty and considering there wasn't even enough to charge him with assault (which is pretty easy to do in Kansas) then I guess the story doesn't hold any weight. Take your whining ass on somewhere.

#2016053 - 03/17/17 11:15 AM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Whoopity doo. They beat us by 3 in AFH by hitting 18 threes. Hardly an as..s whooping. We beat them at Hilton by 4. Ok give them some credit they are decent this year. But by no means will the Cyclone program be anymore than a pimple on the butt of a program like Kansas.

I don't know what Iowee's boys agenda is . ..I used to like the kid. But I wish them all the luck in the tournament until they meet us of course. The Sprint Center will be rocking if that happens. But KU fans has bought up all the tickets ..good luck getting any Iowee people. Better get to the Flying Saucer early...lol

#2016054 - 03/17/17 01:12 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: iowaboy]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: iowaboy
Wow. This incident has a "stench" about it that won't go away. Really? Tough guy threatning to BEAT UP a woman? Really? Self covering for a obviously troubled perp! Really? this is not going to kelp KU polish this turd in the court of public opinion. A person's actions defining their character is always more important than ahem, basketball, Shame on any of you defending this "thug!" Hey, Jackson, if you want to fight take on Burton. He'd pound a mudhole in your skinny ass and walk it dry. IB

Would love to see you take on the woman. She'd "pound a mudhole in your fat ass and walk it dry."

#2016057 - 03/17/17 01:34 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Originally Posted By: iowaboy

Would love to see you take on the woman. She'd "pound a mudhole in your fat ass and walk it dry."
Jackson stuck up for a friend and others beat the shiit out a Fusion. The FF tin is thin.

#2016067 - 03/17/17 04:14 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: vmlb]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am actually skinny. IB

#2016068 - 03/17/17 04:16 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: PHOGUSHER]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Not a kid. I am 68 for gosh sake. But thanks. IB

#2016069 - 03/17/17 04:16 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: KUCO_VOC]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am sure. IB

#2016079 - 03/17/17 09:13 PM Re: THANKS JACKSON [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Go away...and die...both would be acceptable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview