Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015493 - 03/02/17 01:29 PM AFH Band
vikingbomber Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Far, Far Away
So, I was at the Senior Night game and I have to say the student band is really loud. I was on the other side of AFH and my ears are still ringing from the noise. I may be out of line here, and I know the band is a tradition, but I for one would like to hear more recorded music during timeout and breaks in the action. Something like "Pump Up the Jam" or one of CC Music Factory's songs gets my heart racing a lot more than just your regular drums and horns and whatnot. Anyway, just a thought. If anyone agrees, I'd be willing to draft a letter to the sports department.

#2015494 - 03/02/17 01:31 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: vikingbomber
So, I was at the Senior Night game and I have to say the student band is really loud. I was on the other side of AFH and my ears are still ringing from the noise. I may be out of line here, and I know the band is a tradition, but I for one would like to hear more recorded music during timeout and breaks in the action. Something like "Pump Up the Jam" or one of CC Music Factory's songs gets my heart racing a lot more than just your regular drums and horns and whatnot. Anyway, just a thought. If anyone agrees, I'd be willing to draft a letter to the sports department.
So like play recorded music like "YMCA"?

#2015497 - 03/02/17 01:51 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

lol

#2015529 - 03/03/17 02:14 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Hey Song - Rock n Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter? Spin https://g.co/kgs/36gVVB it!

Edited by KUCO_VOC (03/03/17 02:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Hey!

#2015531 - 03/03/17 03:35 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Katy Perry's "Roar"?

That band is loud I agree.

#2015532 - 03/03/17 08:09 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: KUCO_VOC]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
I would throw the band out of AFH altogether. They could get a pretty penny for those seats the band currently occupies.

Who needs a band when you have miley cyrus and "party in the USA"

#2015535 - 03/03/17 09:09 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
vikingbomber Offline
Baby Jay

Ha, laugh it up, but some folks want to be able to hear the next day after paying good money for a basketball game. While I realize your requests are in jest, I'm serious when I say that Bon Jovi's original recording of "Living On The Prayer" is far superior to any college band's rendition. Welcome to 2017, people. We don't need a loud live band anymore.

#2015537 - 03/03/17 09:28 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KU7679 Offline
Junior Jayhawk

And Walk the Moon's version of Shut Up and Dance is better and the Beatles version of Hey Jude is better and Led Zeppellin's version of Kashmir is better. . . . But damned if I don't love me some basketball band music.

Edited by KU7679 (03/03/17 09:34 AM)

#2015538 - 03/03/17 10:20 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
amplifiers work well in afh.

#2015545 - 03/03/17 01:39 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Guns and Roses are a great sub leadin!!

#2015559 - 03/03/17 07:53 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
illuminatironin Offline
Friend of the Hawk

Loc: Oviedo, FL
Let's just cut music out of the courses at KU too like all of the grade schools. Cut all of those kids scholarships. Sounds like a good plan.

#2015576 - 03/04/17 03:58 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The Arts are overrated...

#2015578 - 03/04/17 07:59 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
oldalum Offline
Lawrence Legend

I'm afraid I don't agree with you either. Some years ago KUAthletics suggested doing away with the band and having recorded music as they do in pro arenas. There was a terrible backlash.

#2015586 - 03/05/17 08:33 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
illuminatironin Offline
Friend of the Hawk

Loc: Oviedo, FL
Not trying to be a jerk. But maybe you could just take some ear plugs.

#2015590 - 03/05/17 11:27 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
OldProf Offline
Baby Jay

As a Physics major (1959), I was privileged to play trombone with the KU marching band in the Fall of 1955 and 1956. I still recall the disappointment of not making the basketball pep band. I have always thought it was because I wasn't a music major. It could be that I wasn't good enough. Tradition means much more to ancient alumi such as myself.

#2016511 - 03/30/17 12:40 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

So "The Beatles with Billy Preston" in 2017-8 means a few Beatles tunes coming up in AFH.

Can anyone guess the lone BP credited Beatles recording?

#2016514 - 03/30/17 08:20 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

JoJo and Loretta

I was at Sprint on saturday for quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen from ku and I have to say that Oregon's pep band was not only better than ku's but louder. They kept playing over the ku band such that when the KU fight song started, pretty much half of the center's mostly ku fans close to the O band didn't even clap. Another thing was the ku players walked out for pregame warmups very slowly one at a time spread out over a few minutes. Oregon waited and sprinted out together with the O band blasting. Quite a difference in pregame energy for what it's worth.

#2016515 - 03/30/17 08:34 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Lol...so that is the reason we lost. Blame it on the band..

#2016516 - 03/30/17 08:44 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: PHOGUSHER]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

Quite a leap you took there poser. Just stating that KU looked pretty lethargic thru warmups while Oregon guys showed energy. And for the first part of the first half the energy level difference was the same. Were you there usher?

#2019487 - 08/10/17 10:33 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
vikingbomber Offline
Baby Jay

Basketball season is fast approaching and still looking for feedback on this. I have a rough draft of a letter created for the sports department but I'd really like some quotes from regular folks. I'll start:

"While I respect the tradition of the band, I think modern times calls for more modern music. I'd be happy to donate my CD collection to the University for future basketball games."

#2019490 - 08/10/17 11:36 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
oldalum Offline
Lawrence Legend

Sorry. I don't agree with you. College games call for college bands and music. Save recorded music for the pros.

#2019492 - 08/10/17 12:20 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Basketball season is fast approaching and still looking for feedback on this. I have a rough draft of a letter created for the sports department but I'd really like some quotes from regular folks. I'll start:

"While I respect the tradition of the band, I think modern times calls for more modern music. I'd be happy to donate my CD collection to the University for future basketball games."
"While the band at Kansas fires up the fanbase, let's get with the 90's!!" All BeeGees, every game. Followed by KC and the Sunshine Band..." LOL

I'm regular and that's my quote.

#2019493 - 08/10/17 12:24 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Ha, laugh it up, but some folks want to be able to hear the next day after paying good money for a basketball game. While I realize your requests are in jest, I'm serious when I say that Bon Jovi's original recording of "Living On The Prayer" is far superior to any college band's rendition. Welcome to 2017, people. We don't need a loud live band anymore.
I'm seriously...out of corny jokes about this issue. Send your letter Attn: Lew Perkins.

#2019494 - 08/10/17 12:40 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: oldalum]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: oldalum
Sorry. I don't agree with you. College games call for college bands and music. Save recorded music for the pros.
Agree. Doesn't tradition mean anything anymore?

#2019507 - 08/11/17 08:57 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: oldalum]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: oldalum

One of the many reasons I like CBB over the NBA. I consider it "fake" crowd noise.

#2019725 - 08/19/17 09:53 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere

Just watch the games at home with the sound muted, and play your Hootie and the Blowfish CD at whatever volume you like.

The pep band is part of the experience of going to a big-time college basketball game on a big-time college campus. Your letter is big-time stupid.

#2019728 - 08/20/17 10:22 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: casey]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
Originally Posted By: casey
[quote=vikingbomber]

The pep band is part of the experience of going to a big-time college basketball game on a big-time college campus. Your letter is big-time stupid.

#2020026 - 08/31/17 02:40 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: casey]
vikingbomber Offline
Baby Jay

Just watch the games at home with the sound muted, and play your Hootie and the Blowfish CD at whatever volume you like.

There's really no reason to use the word "stupid" in your response. There are stupid ideas, sir, but this idea is not one. I realize you are joking about Hootie and the Blowfish, but if you don't think the sound of 16,300 people singing "Hold My Hand" wouldn't be epic....well, you'd just be wrong.

#2020031 - 08/31/17 05:44 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

There's really no reason to use the word "stupid" in your response. There are stupid ideas, sir, but this idea is not one. I realize you are joking about Hootie and the Blowfish, but if you don't think the sound of 16,300 people singing "Hold My Hand" wouldn't be epic....well, you'd just be wrong.
Live music all the way. R & R part 2? Boring.

#2020034 - 08/31/17 09:10 PM Re: AFH Band [Re: vikingbomber]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere

I can't dispute that. I'm gonna love you the best that, the best that I can.

#2020043 - 09/01/17 05:47 AM Re: AFH Band [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I can't dispute that. I'm gonna love you the best that, the best that I can.
vikingbummer can get on big screen - Y M C A !

Band was good at Memorial stadium on Sept 2nd game, BTW.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview