Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015407 - 02/28/17 05:08 PM Recruiting HS OL & HS DL
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Other teams had success poaching our HS OL and HS DL recruits after they gave KU a verbal commit. What strategy changes can Beaty make for HS OL & HS DL players so they stick to their verbal commits and sign with KU?

The early graduation and early enrollment works well. They should target OL and DL players where that is an option. Make sure Mom and Dad visit with the recruit so the whole family is onboard with the decision to commit. The secret recruitment and silent verbal like they did with the JC WR from Cali was a good idea. They also could target under the radar players and offer them closer to signing day using a silent verbal. That would cut down on other schools using us as a bird dog.

I think it will take a combination of these tactics to turn the tide. I hope Beaty runs HS OL and DL recruiting like special ops. I'm tired of other teams stealing our HS OL and HS DL recruits. Kirby on Slant won't like it but Beaty needs to keep most of his HS OL and DL recruiting top secret until signing day. Any other ideas?

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/28/17 05:23 PM)

#2015420 - 02/28/17 08:20 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I don't know if there's a whole lot KU can do other than get guys who give more solid commitments.

In the past couple of years it's been the case of OU swooping in and stealing them from us as they let KU do all the real scouting work and then follow up with a piggyback offer on top of KU's offer. At this point in time, that's a tall order for KU to hold OU off for many of these recruits.

Also, last year it appears that Hocker was just using KU as a place holder and not seriously committed at all. If he got no other offers, he'd have stayed with KU, but as he got more offers he thought were better in his mind he committed to 2 or 3 more schools until he got what he thought was his best offer, aTm, and signed with them. Not sure KU would want a kid like that who's only motivation was pure selfishness and not really a team 1st oriented type guy. Nothing wrong with recruits looking out for themselves, but he seemed to be at the extreme end on that spectrum which doesn't really jive with the locker room atmosphere here at KU right now.

Also, the other early OL commit we had seemed like another place holder type guy, but a little bit different than Hocker. He seemed like he felt pressure to commit out of fear right after Hocker had committed, because he thought if he didn't he would be left out. Once he got more offers, he too started wavering.

This all applies mostly to recruits in our more traditional recruiting areas of KS, MO, OK, and TX. The Louisiana guys we've been getting in on already have a ton of offers and OU doesn't have the sway they do in KS, OK, and TX, or even MO. In a weird way, KU has a better chance at getting some good OL and/or DL out of Louisiana right now.

It's probably difficult to try and weed out the guys who look to be using KU as a place holder. I think the biggest things that will help are showing continued improvement on the field and building off our current recruiting momentum. I think a lot of these recruits will be more confident and more committed as they see these other very highly rated recruits committing to us. Obviously, winning more games helps as well.

Either way, all KU can do is shoot for the guys highest on the recruiting board and if it doesn't work out, go on to the next guys on the list.

Lastly, I think KU is in good position on a couple of DL out of MO in addition to Crook-Jones who's obviously already committed. I think Crook-Jones is solid in his commitment too. Heard he talked it over with his mother for a couple days before he committed and she gave her blessing. Mom's blessing (see Ja'Marr Chase) always helps make a commitment more solid!

#2015423 - 02/28/17 08:37 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
At least we are talking KU sports here!

#2015427 - 02/28/17 09:05 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
It seems our best OL are JUCOs or players that are recruited for other positions in the last handful of years. Beaty OL come a lot from walk ons which is somewhat encouraging and also somewhat scary.

Yenser seems like he's the first OL coach that can coach to improve size since Warriner.

Reagan, Grunhardt, and Grimes never really showed me much of anything worthwhile.

DT is similar. We seem like lately JUCOs are our preferred method because we get overlooked or get players poached or outrecruited by Nebraska, OU, and LSU on HS DT recruits. Newell, McKinney, Bledsoe, and Jenkins all still sting a bit. The turnover in staff on the DL isn't ideal either.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015436 - 03/01/17 11:11 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Kinda forgot about the McKinney deal. That's another example of how important the parents of recruits are.

His brother encouraged him to choose KU and it seemed like he too wanted to go to KU, but then 1 of his parents stepped in and "encouraged" him(I'm being a bit polite here. LOL) not to go to KU. Not blaming his parents at all here for anything (though it did SUCK that he ended up going somewhere else), but just goes to show how important the parents are in the recruitment of a lot of players.

In Bledsoe's case it was just the opposite. Seemed he wanted to get out of Dodge no matter what, while his mom wanted him to go to KU. Again, the parent-child relationship played a big role here IMHO.

It's tricky and I've often been told by numerous people in and around the college football scene that recruiting DL, especially DT's, and OL, more so OT's, are 2 of the toughest positions to recruit in college football. I see no reason to doubt that and a lot of schools struggle to get their 1st or even 2nd choices at those positions. That's the biggest reason why KU has gone the JUCO route for a few of these guys over the last few years. Just gotta keep recruiting and get the best players or players with the best potential, you can at those positions.

I still feel good about our chances with a couple more of the Missouri recruits. I think we're in the mix for a couple others still as well, who'd I would be happy if KU could get them. Recently heard Nelson Jenkins, our brief commit from Louisiana, talked up KU in an article asking him about his LSU commitment. So, even though he backed out, he still had positive things to say about KU which doesn't hurt.

#2015456 - 03/01/17 08:21 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I don't know if there's a whole lot KU can do other than get guys who give more solid commitments

Also, last year it appears that Hocker was just using KU as a place holder and not seriously committed at all.

This all applies mostly to recruits in our more traditional recruiting areas of KS, MO, OK, and TX. The Louisiana guys we've been getting in on already have a ton of offers and OU doesn't have the sway they do in KS, OK, and TX, or even MO. In a weird way, KU has a better chance at getting some good OL and/or DL out of Louisiana right now.

Either way, all KU can do is shoot for the guys highest on the recruiting board and if it doesn't work out, go on to the next guys on the list.

I agree that KU should get verbal commitments that are more solid. Part of that is getting to know the OL/DL players better before KU accepts a verbal. That would cut down on some of the place holder recruits. Yenser has been at KU long enough to establish relationships with HS recruits so I expect better results on HS OL recruiting in this class.

Beatys best decision was hiring Hull. His connections have really paid off. Plenty of talent in The Boot and KU does not have to fight off as many Big 12 schools.

I disagree with your last point. What you describe works for OU or Texas but it is not that simple for KU. Beaty needs to use more strategy in recruiting HS OL and HS DL to get better results. I believe Beaty realizes that and is making staff adjustments and strategy changes to improve results.

#2015457 - 03/01/17 08:36 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Beaty OL come a lot from walk ons which is somewhat encouraging and also somewhat scary.

Yenser seems like he's the first OL coach that can coach to improve size since Warriner.

DT is similar. We seem like lately JUCOs are our preferred method because we get overlooked or get players poached or outrecruited by Nebraska, OU, and LSU on HS DT recruits. Newell, McKinney, Bledsoe, and Jenkins all still sting a bit. The turnover in staff on the DL isn't ideal either.

I like how Beaty has used walk ons to build up the OL but he needs to take the next step this year with more talented OL recruits. I think Beaty and Yenser moved away from under sized OL recruits in the last class. Williams is a more established DL coach and he is a step towards more stability.

#2015462 - 03/01/17 08:42 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

We haven't had staff stability in three years. Just sayin

#2015467 - 03/01/17 09:37 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
It's tricky and I've often been told by numerous people in and around the college football scene that recruiting DL, especially DT's, and OL, more so OT's, are 2 of the toughest positions to recruit in college football. I see no reason to doubt that and a lot of schools struggle to get their 1st or even 2nd choices at those positions. That's the biggest reason why KU has gone the JUCO route for a few of these guys over the last few years. Just gotta keep recruiting and get the best players or players with the best potential, you can at those positions.

I gotta agree, especially about the interior defensive line. The guys who are obvious stars in HS are all pursued by the blue blood football programs and most of the rest end up with projects. There's nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't work out as often. The last DL we had drafted was David McMillan in 2005, the last DT we had drafted was Nate Dwyer in 2002, and he never played in the NFL. The last DT KU had drafted and played was Maumalanga....in 1994. Alabama on the other hand, had two DTs drafted in the 2nd round last year.

That's not saying we haven't had some decent DL in those years, but they succeeded with toughness and grit rather than WOW people with athleticism and strength.

#2015468 - 03/01/17 10:02 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: PbBut]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Originally Posted By: PbBut

I gotta agree, especially about the interior defensive line. The guys who are obvious stars in HS are all pursued by the blue blood football programs and most of the rest end up with projects. There's nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't work out as often. The last DL we had drafted was David McMillan in 2005, the last DT we had drafted was Nate Dwyer in 2002, and he never played in the NFL. The last DT KU had drafted and played was Maumalanga....in 1994. Alabama on the other hand, had two DTs drafted in the 2nd round last year.

That's not saying we haven't had some decent DL in those years, but they succeeded with toughness and grit rather than WOW people with athleticism and strength.

Topically relevant from GM Schneider of Seattle:
"“When you go to colleges and you talk to the coaches, they struggle to find offensive linemen,” Schneider said. “Everyone wants to play quarterback and running back and defensive line. It’s just how the football culture is right now...“There’s just a dearth at the position. There just has been for a number of years now."
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/03/01/...017-nfl-combine

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015479 - 03/02/17 09:38 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
I don't know if there's a whole lot KU can do other than get guys who give more solid commitments

Also, last year it appears that Hocker was just using KU as a place holder and not seriously committed at all.

I agree that KU should get verbal commitments that are more solid. Part of that is getting to know the OL/DL players better before KU accepts a verbal. That would cut down on some of the place holder recruits. Yenser has been at KU long enough to establish relationships with HS recruits so I expect better results on HS OL recruiting in this class.

Beatys best decision was hiring Hull. His connections have really paid off. Plenty of talent in The Boot and KU does not have to fight off as many Big 12 schools.

I disagree with your last point. What you describe works for OU or Texas but it is not that simple for KU. Beaty needs to use more strategy in recruiting HS OL and HS DL to get better results. I believe Beaty realizes that and is making staff adjustments and strategy changes to improve results.
I should clarify what I meant to say when I said, "all KU can do is shoot for the guys highest on the recruiting board". I meant the KU recruiting board, not some national or even regional recruiting board or a recruiting website's positional top ranked players list or something.

It looks to me the coaching staff has made offers to some top level DL and OL recruits who they think they have a legit shot at and not just thrown out offers to top ranked guys because they're top ranked guys. Some of these recruits have more or less said thanks but no thanks and KU has moved on to the next highest targets on their (the KU) list. That's what I meant is all KU can do.

The good thing right now, or at least the thing that gives me some hope is that a lot of these higher rated guys aren't saying thanks, but no thanks to KU at the moment. Quite a few are showing serious interest and some have made visits already. I'd love to get em all, but I'd be happy if KU got a few of the guys showing us serious interest right now. I know at least 2 of the top Missouri DL have KU in their top 3 lists right now and KU has already gotten a commitment from another. The state of Missouri is loaded this year in football recruits BTW. Maybe the best crop of HS football recruits ever in Missouri.

I'm also not sure if KU had the luxury to not take a commitment from a recruit because the coaches weren't certain how solid it was. KU just didn't and really still doesn't have enough scholarship level players on the team to refuse a commitment from someone they suspect may be a place holder type commitment. The staff does look like they keep recruiting other guys in case that's the case though. I don't think they were caught without a backup plan when those guys decommitted last year.

#2015503 - 03/02/17 04:35 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I wouldn't complain if Trevor Trout jumped on board (pun intended).

I doubt he was one of the Missouri DL you mentioned though.

#2015504 - 03/02/17 04:41 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

It still means we need to win some games to get rock solid commits for Kansas.

#2015510 - 03/02/17 06:12 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

If KU had averaged 6-8 wins or more over the last couple seasons we would be more likely to hold on to those linemen. Winning cures alot.

#2015512 - 03/02/17 06:29 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Trending in the right direction. I believe in David Beaty. I would want to play for that guy.

#2015553 - 03/03/17 05:27 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: AlOerter]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Trending in the right direction. I believe in David Beaty. I would want to play for that guy.

I wouldn't. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box. Folksy and cute maybe, kind of like a lost puppy. But not the type I would play for.

#2015565 - 03/04/17 01:13 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

I wouldn't. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box. Folksy and cute maybe, kind of like a lost puppy. But not the type I would play for.

What makes you think coach Beaty is dumb?

I think he's shown to be just the opposite of what you say when you look at his actions.

#2015566 - 03/04/17 07:19 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas

I think he's shown to be just the opposite of what you say when you look at his actions.

Time will tell. If he is as dumb as Beenahawk thinks the program will be worse this year than when Beaty took over the head coaching job...so expect zero wins. If he is as good as you think, then we should see real progress on the field this year...both in number of wins and being more competitive against the best teams. I am betting on your take.....should make for an exciting year to watch KU football...unless of course Beenahawk is right and in that case Beaty probably will be gone this time next year....that would make beenahawk and cuckoo very happy based on all their negative posts about Beaty.

Edited by track (03/04/17 07:23 AM)

#2015574 - 03/04/17 03:14 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Nobody likes realistic assessments.

#2015604 - 03/05/17 06:06 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I'm also not sure if KU had the luxury to not take a commitment from a recruit because the coaches weren't certain how solid it was. KU just didn't and really still doesn't have enough scholarship level players on the team to refuse a commitment from someone they suspect may be a place holder type commitment. The staff does look like they keep recruiting other guys in case that's the case though. I don't think they were caught without a backup plan when those guys decommitted last year.

I'm saying Beaty should accept the commits from HS OL and HS DL recruits but not announce them until close to signing day. Why? Because other programs target our recruiting class for poaching. Using a silent verbal cuts down on the negative recruiting against KU which reduces the success of poaching our recruits. Since the talent pool for HS OL and HS DL recruits is smaller using silent verbals is a better strategy.

If I read your posts correctly you are saying Beaty should do the same thing with recruiting HS OL and HS DL that has not worked for the past 2 years. Why stick with a strategy that fails? What changes in tactics can Beaty make to increase the probability that the HS OL and HS DL recruits that give verbal commitments to KU actually stick and sign with KU?

Beaty needs to get a little more Machiavelli - Sun Tzu with his recruiting tactics when it comes to HS OL and HS DL recruits. Those are the kinds of ideas that I am looking for in this thread.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/05/17 07:01 PM)

#2015613 - 03/05/17 08:41 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I find it hard to believe that a HS player doesn't want it to be known and probably couldn't keep it under his hat anyway.

#2015619 - 03/06/17 12:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: bigdogjac]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
I find it hard to believe that a HS player doesn't want it to be known and probably couldn't keep it under his hat anyway.
What he said.

The 1st person to announce commitments is often the recruit themselves. I think in this day and age of social media, etc. it'd be darn near impossible to have a silent recruit. Though, it does happen from time to time still.

KU was able to do it with Kerr Johnson, but it's still a rare thing to have happen.

I guess KU could try and do that if the recruit will cooperate.

I really don't think there's some creative way to keep poachers at bay, other than to keep selling the recruit on what KU offers them. Keep in contact with them and build that relationship and trust as strong as possible. Some coaches are better at that than others.

Also, getting the parents(moms especially) on board as well is key with a lot of recruits.

A lot of HS recruits mostly think of the here and now and as you said other teams come in and negative recruit against KU successfully sometimes because of the here and now nature of a lot HS kids. Winning more games and keeping the program on the upswing is what it'll take to keep some recruits from being flipped.

I also think that seeing 2 Bama guys transfer in, as well as seeing very highly rated recruits like we've got currently committed also helps out a lot with HS kids who are of that hear and now mindset. I think that recruiting momentum will help keep guys committed, but every team has guys decommit almost every year, so it's not bullet proof.

Lastly, I don't think we've failed in recruiting good DL and OL over the past couple of years. Yeah, we lost a few, but we've also gotten some good ones. Guys like Adeniji, Ribordy, Baldwin, Armstrong, and Wise all come to mind immediately.

#2015628 - 03/06/17 09:49 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

kman comments sound very realistic today. The key is that we don't know if Beaty can coach yet. Biggest question mark. Along with that is game preparation as well as game day strategy.

#2015630 - 03/06/17 10:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I didn't say Beaty was "dumb". I said that "he doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box."

As far as his actions? Some of his game day decisions have been rather bazaar to say the least. Anyone who needs two timeouts to decide to put a QB in a game in a goal line situation that has never taken a snap, resulting in a busted play 1) wasn't prepared 2) his team wasn't prepared. Good teams and good coaches simply do not do that.

Not that other coaches haven't done some DUMB things......The Buddha was guilty of the dumbest move I have ever seen...resting Charles Gordon with less than a minute to go before half against Texas Tech and installing a "toast twin", because Gordon needed a blow tops all idiocy in my book.

Giving Tony Hull a HUGE promotion is also quite questionable in my mind. A raise is one thing, that much of a raise and the Asst. HC moniker is the type of thing that causes dissention in the ranks. Safe to say everyone in the program is busting their butts, why just reward Hull?

Just my 2 cents. I'm hopeful, but maintain my doubts.

Will he improve? Time will tell.

#2015632 - 03/06/17 01:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I didn't say Beaty was "dumb". I said that "he doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box."
With all due respect, but that's just a euphemistic way of saying someone is dumb.

As far as his actions? Some of his game day decisions have been rather bazaar to say the least. Anyone who needs two timeouts to decide to put a QB in a game in a goal line situation that has never taken a snap, resulting in a busted play 1) wasn't prepared 2) his team wasn't prepared. Good teams and good coaches simply do not do that.

Not that other coaches haven't done some DUMB things......The Buddha was guilty of the dumbest move I have ever seen...resting Charles Gordon with less than a minute to go before half against Texas Tech and installing a "toast twin", because Gordon needed a blow tops all idiocy in my book.

Giving Tony Hull a HUGE promotion is also quite questionable in my mind. A raise is one thing, that much of a raise and the Asst. HC moniker is the type of thing that causes dissention in the ranks. Safe to say everyone in the program is busting their butts, why just reward Hull?

Just my 2 cents. I'm hopeful, but maintain my doubts.

Will he improve? Time will tell.
I see now that you mean he's done some things which you consider dumb. I think just about everyone at some point or other in their lives has done things others would consider dumb. Fair enough.

I think the coach Hull raise was done after the giant recruiting weekend he pulled off as well as the big recruiting gets he had in the 2017 class (including Mike Lee who ended up coming 1 year early). Heard some other big football programs started making inquiries about him and that also played a part in his promotion/raise. Also, all of the other assistant coaches had received raises at the beginning of the year, so it's not like nobody else got a pay raise too.

My point about his actions, was his actions overall and not specific individual actions.

#2015633 - 03/06/17 01:33 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just a quick thought on something maybe they could try to do to shore up a commit they're not 100% sure on is, they could let those recruits know that other schools will be coming around to try and poach them now that they've committed to KU. Say something along the lines that those other schools are just trying to ride off the coat tails of KU and they didn't want them as much as KU does as they didn't offer them until after the recruit had committed, or that those other schools didn't really even take the time to evaluate them and are just using KU's research and evaluation because they think our coaching staff knows how to identify quality recruits. I actually think there's plenty of evidence this is indeed happening to KU with several of these recruits. I mean, OU offered several KU targets immediately after KU offered them and had them at our Junior Day. Hell, they even immediately offered at least 1 of the Louisianimals who committed to us during their Junior Day visit.

Something along the lines of letting a commit know that these other schools may now be coming after him just because he committed to KU. Tell them that a lot of them wouldn't offer or want him otherwise. Kind of implying they're disingenuous. A kind of negative recruiting against any late comers after a guy who's already committed to KU. I think there'd be a lot of truth to those pitches too.

#2015634 - 03/06/17 02:28 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Beaty actually commented specifically on the OU subject at the season ticket holder event.

He basically said that KU would get a verbal from a good player or see our interested recruits, and Cale Gundy would immediately review that player's film and decide to offer for OU.

Beaty definitely didn't seem too fond of him.

#2015636 - 03/06/17 05:07 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think that shows a lot about OU right there.

It shows they're lazy and rely on the work of others, aka KU.

It shows they think our staff knows how to evaluate talent.

It also shows they're running a bit scared or paranoid about KU starting to rise up.

I used to think of OU as just 1 of the top dogs in the conference I'd love for KU to beat, but now after this lazy predatory recruiting they've been doing against us the past year or 2, the arrogant obnoxious tweets put out by old big game bobby last year about that home town recruit, and now the arrogant douchey tweets put out by their drunken run from the cops QB about the Trae Young recruiting battle, I'm really starting to hate them.

#2015637 - 03/06/17 05:15 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
[quote=Kman_blue]I'm saying Beaty should accept the commits from HS OL and HS DL recruits but not announce them until close to signing day. Why? Because other programs target our recruiting class for poaching.

Frankly, this is entirely out of Beaty's hands. The NCAA won't let him say anything specific about any recruit until an LOI is received. That's why when his "neat deal" comes out it never includes a name. At that point its up to fans to find out who he's tweeting about.
Just this past week Petro on 810 asked Lon Kruger about Trae Young. Despite the fact that everyone on the planet who cares knew that Young committed to OU, Kruger wasn't even allowed to say his name, and won't be able to until signing day. These public commitments come from the players, not the school or the staff.

#2015638 - 03/06/17 06:32 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Just a quick thought on something maybe they could try to do to shore up a commit they're not 100% sure on is, they could let those recruits know that other schools will be coming around to try and poach them now that they've committed to KU. Say something along the lines that those other schools are just trying to ride off the coat tails of KU and they didn't want them as much as KU does as they didn't offer them until after the recruit had committed, or that those other schools didn't really even take the time to evaluate them and are just using KU's research and evaluation because they think our coaching staff knows how to identify quality recruits. I actually think there's plenty of evidence this is indeed happening to KU with several of these recruits. I mean, OU offered several KU targets immediately after KU offered them and had them at our Junior Day. Hell, they even immediately offered at least 1 of the Louisianimals who committed to us during their Junior Day visit.

Now this fits in perfect with how to explain the benefit of a silent verbal to a recruit. The benefits to the recruit are he does not have to hear a bunch of BS negative recruiting about KU. Lay out the truth of the matter to the recruit that the silent verbal is used for OL/DL where there is a lot of poaching and we offered because we really want the recruit and think they are a very special part of the team. All of this is true. I think the recruits can be trusted to keep their word on a silent verbal. If we can't trust recruits to keep their word on a silent verbal then why should we even accept the verbal commit?

I also think this cuts down on recruits using a KU verbal to attract attention from other schools like Nelson Jenkins did with LSU. It also cuts down on lazy recruiting like what OU is doing by using KU coaches to bird dog their prospects. As I recall Mangino was rumored to use silent verbals on some of his recruits too so this is not such a new idea.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/06/17 06:54 PM)

#2015639 - 03/06/17 06:42 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

It also shows they're running a bit scared or paranoid about KU starting to rise up.

I used to think of OU as just 1 of the top dogs in the conference I'd love for KU to beat, but now after this lazy predatory recruiting they've been doing against us the past year or 2, the arrogant obnoxious tweets put out by old big game bobby last year about that home town recruit, and now the arrogant douchey tweets put out by their drunken run from the cops QB about the Trae Young recruiting battle, I'm really starting to hate them.

I don't think OU is scared of KU but their staff definitely is lazy and I agree the OU coaching staff believes the KU coaching staff is good at evaluating talent. It must be a PITA for Beaty and staff to do all the heavy lifting and then have OU swoop in and take the prize recruits.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/06/17 06:42 PM)

#2015640 - 03/06/17 06:46 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: PbBut]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: PbBut
Frankly, this is entirely out of Beaty's hands. The NCAA won't let him say anything specific about any recruit until an LOI is received. That's why when his "neat deal" comes out it never includes a name. At that point its up to fans to find out who he's tweeting about.

I meant that Beaty accepts the verbal commit but Beaty asks the HS OL or HS DL recruit not to announce the verbal to KU.

#2015641 - 03/06/17 07:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
kman comments sound very realistic today. The key is that we don't know if Beaty can coach yet. Biggest question mark. Along with that is game preparation as well as game day strategy.

We know Beaty hired Meacham as OC so that is a step in the right direction.

#2015644 - 03/06/17 08:38 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I don't think OU is scared of KU but their staff definitely is lazy and I agree the OU coaching staff believes the KU coaching staff is good at evaluating talent. It must be a PITA for Beaty and staff to do all the heavy lifting and then have OU swoop in and take the prize recruits.
I don't know. There seems to be more to it than just them being lazy and trying to swoop in to steal the more prized recruits from us after we do all the work evaluating them. I mean, why aren't they trying to do that with other Big 12 programs? Sure, they often go after some of the same recruits as other Big 12 teams, but I don't think they're immediately offering recruits once they get another Big 12 offer, outside of KU offers. Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

I think they may be a bit paranoid about KU rising to a level where it starts to affect their success and that's a part of why they're trying to steal away so many recruits from us recently.

#2015645 - 03/06/17 09:14 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

I think they may be a bit paranoid about KU rising to a level where it starts to affect their success and that's a part of why they're trying to steal away so many recruits from us recently.

To be fair, Beaty also was very positive about it. He basically said that they won't always be able to poach players. He mentioned the fanbase coming around as we improve. He mentioned the locker rooms, the dorms, KU education, and stadium improvements (being discussed?) as all things that are only going to make us easier to sell to kids.

He transitioned into discussing building relationships early in the process and moved on to discussing the great junior day prospects that were coming to visit.

#2015646 - 03/06/17 09:49 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

If Beaty thinks the fan base is coming around, just think how we will feel after some valid wins on his resume. So far it's not happening.

He's been rewarded (salary) but where's our reward?

#2015656 - 03/07/17 11:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

#2015658 - 03/07/17 01:36 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Philosopher Aristotle once said "Patience is a Virtue". He probably said it for more than one time during three long football seasons in the fifth century.

I don't know what that picture is, but boy is it ugly!

#2015662 - 03/07/17 02:13 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The 3.1M our coaches (including Beaty) made last year and the 4.63M they're scheduled to make next year is a lot of money...but it's still last in the big 12 by a decent amount.

Beaty is a Power 5 coach that ranks about 75th overall in salary with his recent pay increase. Last in the Power 5. Curious how being the lowest paid in your field is determined to be too much money.

Just for funsies: Both are less than the $4.7M we paid Weis and staff for one win in 2012 (after paying a $6M lump sum payment to fire a three win Gill).

#2015665 - 03/07/17 03:03 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The 3.1M our coaches (including Beaty) made last year and the 4.63M they're scheduled to make next year is a lot of money...but it's still last in the big 12 by a decent amount.

Beaty is a Power 5 coach that ranks about 75th overall in salary with his recent pay increase. Last in the Power 5. Curious how being the lowest paid in your field is determined to be too much money.

Just for funsies: Both are less than the $4.7M we paid Weis and staff for one win in 2012 (after paying a $6M lump sum payment to fire a three win Gill).
Too much money is being paid for potential in HC Beaty. He hasn't earned it. Can't speak to Gill or Weis at this point as their factors have changed downward, thanks to the actions of AD Zenger. Beaty isn't going anywhere at .8M or 1.6M annual salary. I know I am using decimals again, so some people may think it is FAKE NEWS. LOL

#2015666 - 03/07/17 03:08 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just for funsies look at out attendance! I'm betting we pay more per fanny in the seat than any other P-5 school! But at least we don't talk endlessly about stadium expansion or blowing up Memorial anymore.

#2015667 - 03/07/17 03:13 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Just for funsies look at out attendance! I'm betting we pay more per fanny in the seat than any other P-5 school! But at least we don't talk endlessly about stadium expansion or blowing up Memorial anymore.
There's last and then there's dead last(talking salary). We are closer to dead than alive, hypothetically. Earn .8M first!!

#2015668 - 03/07/17 03:26 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

So what is a fair amount to coach a bad Power 5 football team?

I'm asking just for discussion sake. Obviously being paid the lowest amount of all Power 5 coaches is still complaint-worthy.

#2015671 - 03/07/17 04:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

As far as attendance, basic fundamentals of marketing suggest that if a customer has a negative experience, he/she is likely to spend less and have a reduced brand loyalty. Now, think about the last 8-9 years of KU football and the games that many could deem "negative experiences."

After repeated negative experiences, it's not uncommon to see consumers in the "premium loyalty" and "inertia loyalty" categories move to "latent loyalty" or "no loyalty" categories. So the fans that went from always at the games to waiting and seeing how the first few go...or the fans that went just for the fun experience that found new fun ways to spend their Saturdays.

Beaty is partially to blame for this, but it is hard to suggest he's the culprit for 8-9 years of bad experiences.

#2015676 - 03/07/17 04:16 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beaty isn't the culprit for 8-9 years of attendance decline? Safe statement.

I agree. But he is responsible for a certain time period, right?

Funsy discuss? How long can someone coach a bad P5 before he is released from his duties? He gets 3 years but does he get 4 if we don't on field progress.

#2015677 - 03/07/17 04:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So what is a fair amount to coach a bad Power 5 football team?

I'm asking just for discussion sake. Obviously being paid the lowest amount of all Power 5 coaches is still complaint-worthy.

Don't ask me, I think all P-5 coaches are GROSSLY overpaid. it's a dumbassed arms race. College athletics is simply big business. No longer about "student athletes".

#2015678 - 03/07/17 04:36 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I absolutely agree, but like it or not, KU is involved in the arms race.

Unfortunately, society thinks an educational institution is the best place to groom future NBA and NFL players. Looking toward those, you have leagues of coaches, players, etc that are overpaid. The whole sports industry is way too overvalued to make any real logical sense to me.

#2015679 - 03/07/17 04:51 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

To be honest, I had far more fun watching the grid hawks back in the 70's and early 80's than I do now. Fam making something like $50k a year for a better product on the field than we have seen in damn near a decade. And Fam groomed more than his fair share of NFL talent.

Ah well, the world grew up and became nucking futz. crazy

#2015680 - 03/07/17 04:55 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Right, but in the 70s and early 80s, NFL players making six figures a year wasn't common. Now a decent backup QB makes $5M a year.

#2015683 - 03/07/17 05:22 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

You must have forgotten those annual 60 to 3 butt whippings those huskers routinely put on us. The came to town in their red cowboy hats and took over our stadium.

#2015684 - 03/07/17 05:25 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
track Offline
gale sayers

Gale Sayers signed for 100,000 for 4 years.

#2015685 - 03/07/17 06:01 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: track
Your wordsmithing is always a bit off. He got a $50k signing bonus as well. My wife learned how to climb the rope from him in elementary school.

#2015688 - 03/07/17 06:40 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Your wordsmithing is always a bit off. He got a $50k signing bonus as well. My wife learned how to climb the rope from him in elementary school.

Wordsmithing....climb the rope..... grin

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/07/17 06:40 PM)

#2015689 - 03/07/17 07:17 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Philosopher Aristotle once said "Patience is a Virtue". He probably said it for more than one time during three long football seasons in the fifth century.

1 time!?!? LOL

Also, 3 full football seasons...so you were b!tching and moaning like this during Weis's last year? If so, it wasn't on this board. Else, you've already written off this season which would be foolish to put it nicely.

#2015690 - 03/07/17 07:23 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Funsy discuss? How long can someone coach a bad P5 before he is released from his duties? He gets 3 years but does he get 4 if we don't on field progress.
Depends on the situation the coach came into as well as what kind of progress is apparent during those 3 or 4 years.

Someone who doesn't understand those things, doesn't understand how college football works IMHO.

#2015691 - 03/07/17 08:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

To be honest, I had far more fun watching the grid hawks back in the 70's and early 80's than I do now. Fam making something like $50k a year for a better product on the field than we have seen in damn near a decade. And Fam groomed more than his fair share of NFL talent.

Ah well, the world grew up and became nucking futz. crazy
I certainly can see the point of view that everyone is now grossly overpaid and they certainly are paid a lot more in relation to the median national income. I also know how underpaid most all coaches were in prior eras whereas one of KU's best coaches in the past 60 years, Jack Mitchell, had to have other jobs to in order to make a living in addition to his HC job at KU. That caused his coaching to suffer as well as the team overall.

I guess my point is, things change and shift and probably will again, especially with how ESPN seems to be losing money hand over fist lately. The big TV money has been driving the very big salaries and arms race for the most part. ESPN just announced another round of layoffs and they've been losing a lot of money on some of their deals in addition to losing a substantial number of subscribers as more people cut cable.

Just wait a while, things will probably look a lot different in the not too distant future. Not sure it'll be good, but it;ll most likely be quite different.

#2015692 - 03/07/17 09:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Depends on the situation the coach came into as well as what kind of progress is apparent during those 3 or 4 years.

Someone who doesn't understand those things, doesn't understand how college football works IMHO.
Oh I understand glitter talk from you. You still think Gill/Weis is the coach. The 95 % loss ratio is all Beaty. Do you believe the current "earned it" coach can ever reach .500 ? You are the only one.

#2015695 - 03/07/17 11:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I don't know. There seems to be more to it than just them being lazy and trying to swoop in to steal the more prized recruits from us after we do all the work evaluating them. I mean, why aren't they trying to do that with other Big 12 programs? Sure, they often go after some of the same recruits as other Big 12 teams, but I don't think they're immediately offering recruits once they get another Big 12 offer, outside of KU offers. Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

Maybe Lincoln Riley is doing it to mess with his brother. Or Stoops is trying to get revenge for Mangino. Beaty could cut down on the problem by going silent with some of his offers like he did with Kerr Johnson. Using silent offers would be a good strategy to cut down on bird dogging towards the end of the recruiting cycle when all of the schools are scrambling to fill open spots.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/08/17 12:33 AM)

#2015697 - 03/08/17 08:07 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Maybe Lincoln Riley is doing it to mess with his brother. Or Stoops is trying to get revenge for Mangino. Beaty could cut down on the problem by going silent with some of his offers like he did with Kerr Johnson. Using silent offers would be a good strategy to cut down on bird dogging towards the end of the recruiting cycle when all of the schools are scrambling to fill open spots.

Or we just get good enough to make it so players don't have any reason to change commitments.

#2015701 - 03/08/17 08:42 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Wordsmithing....climb the rope..... grin
He forgot $50k. All better professor?

#2015705 - 03/08/17 08:47 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

1 time!?!? LOL

Also, 3 full football seasons...so you were b!tching and moaning like this during Weis's last year? If so, it wasn't on this board. Else, you've already written off this season which would be foolish to put it nicely.
Weis didn't have three full seasons, just so you know. It's a known fact.

#2015711 - 03/08/17 11:29 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You must have forgotten those annual 60 to 3 butt whippings those huskers routinely put on us. The came to town in their red cowboy hats and took over our stadium.

Didn't forget.....but getting ones butt handed to them by those Bugeater teams wasn't as bad as getting ones butt handed to them by EVERYONE on the freaking schedule as has happened the last 7 seasons.

#2015712 - 03/08/17 01:17 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Oh I understand glitter talk from you. You still think Gill/Weis is the coach. The 95 % loss ratio is all Beaty. Do you believe the current "earned it" coach can ever reach .500 ? You are the only one.
I and I believe most everyone else around understands your crap all over everything schtick.

If you don't understand what it means to take over a struggling P5 college program with only about 57 scholarship players on the team and how long something like that takes to deal with, then you frankly don't have a clue about how college football, or football in general works.

You're also the dolt who thought either coach Beaty has been our HC for 3 seasons now or inexplicably included Weis's last year as part of your diatribe against having patience with what coach Beaty is doing. Either way, it shows you don't have a very good grasp on facts or reality which the latter you claim to be trying to spread. Although, your version of "reality" smells a lot more like horse sh!t to me.

#2015713 - 03/08/17 01:20 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

OU hasn't been waiting until the end of the recruiting cycle. They've been doing it all throughout the cycle and began doing it this cycle immediately after our big Junior Day, like the next day or 2 after.

I don't think any sibling rivalry is at play here. Seems to be something a lot more to me, even more than any lingering animosity about Mangino.

#2015714 - 03/08/17 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

OU hasn't been waiting until the end of the recruiting cycle. They've been doing it all throughout the cycle and began doing it this cycle immediately after our big Junior Day, like the next day or 2 after.

Right. They've removed a lot of the work. They don't have to scout or do legwork on a lot of players. They just have to convince recruits that OU is a better option once offered.

Curious if they do this to other schools in the Big 12.

#2015715 - 03/08/17 03:03 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I and I believe most everyone else around understands your crap all over everything schtick.

If you don't understand what it means to take over a struggling P5 college program with only about 57 scholarship players on the team and how long something like that takes to deal with, then you frankly don't have a clue about how college football, or football in general works.

You're also the dolt who thought either coach Beaty has been our HC for 3 seasons now or inexplicably included Weis's last year as part of your diatribe against having patience with what coach Beaty is doing. Either way, it shows you don't have a very good grasp on facts or reality which the latter you claim to be trying to spread. Although, your version of "reality" smells a lot more like horse sh!t to me.
Fact: I was talking about Aristotle and you were not. Fact: Beaty has a long third season coming up to confirm what I've said all along. Lacks experience and hasn't a clue on game days, yet. Your doltish comments about horse poop are just some horse poop to me and as far as I know to everyone else who posts here and reads your always cheery crap.

#2015716 - 03/08/17 03:06 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

[quote=pizzanbeer][quote=Kman_blue]I don't know. There seems to be more to it than just them being lazy and trying to swoop in to steal the more prized recruits from us after we do all the work evaluating them. I mean, why aren't they trying to do that with other Big 12 programs? Sure, they often go after some of the same recruits as other Big 12 teams, but I don't think they're immediately offering recruits once they get another Big 12 offer, outside of KU offers. Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.
OU 2018 team recruiting rankings is right behind Kansas per 247 website, just so you know.

#2015728 - 03/09/17 12:55 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Fact: I was talking about Aristotle and you were not. Fact: Beaty has a long third season coming up to confirm what I've said all along. Lacks experience and hasn't a clue on game days, yet. Your doltish comments about horse poop are just some horse poop to me and as far as I know to everyone else who posts here and reads your always cheery crap.
That's not a fact, but rather the antithesis of a fact. I know it's your deepest dearest desire for the upcoming season, but as the season is still 6 months in the future, it's results are not facts yet.

LOL on the last 1/2 of what you said.

#2015729 - 03/09/17 01:04 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

OU 2018 team recruiting rankings is right behind Kansas per 247 website, just so you know.

2 spots and a decent amount of points behind KU on Rivals. Also a decent amount of point differential on 247 too.

Not sure that's directly pertinent to them immediately going after a number of our current commits or recent offers this year or in the past 2 years.

#2015730 - 03/09/17 01:05 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Right. They've removed a lot of the work. They don't have to scout or do legwork on a lot of players. They just have to convince recruits that OU is a better option once offered.

Curious if they do this to other schools in the Big 12.
I've casually looked around and can't find them doing this to any other Big 12 school, even Okie St. Maybe they do do it to Okie St. some, but it sure doesn't look like they do to the extent they've been doing it to KU recently.

#2015731 - 03/09/17 01:10 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree silent commits would be a good way to try and head this kind of crap off, but I think that's a lot easier said than done in today's world.

#2015738 - 03/09/17 09:30 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

2 spots and a decent amount of points behind KU on Rivals. Also a decent amount of point differential on 247 too.

Not sure that's directly pertinent to them immediately going after a number of our current commits or recent offers this year or in the past 2 years.
OU being right next to Kansas on 2018 recruiting (247 source) is indirectly interesting due to the posts lately bringing up OU and their "lazy ways". It's interesting but not directly pertinent as you suggested.

#2015739 - 03/09/17 09:32 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I agree silent commits would be a good way to try and head this kind of crap off, but I think that's a lot easier said than done in today's world.
Kids would not go for that type of Nixonian style of recruiting. Neither would the proud parents in general...

#2015775 - 03/09/17 08:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

If you can't trust the recruit to keep his mouth shut about a verbal then why would you trust the verbal itself? Beaty can stipulate that if the recruit announces the verbal before signing day then Beaty will pull the offer.

You are too skeptical on this. We would only use silent verbals for HS OL and HS DL recruits to fix our major poaching problems. It's not like Beaty would use this for all 20+ recruits.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/09/17 08:22 PM)

#2015799 - 03/10/17 01:38 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

These are still 17-18 year olds. They're a lot more impulsive still and excitable. It's also a very exciting time for them and I can't blame one for wanting people to know he's gonna get a full ride to play P5 football. It could be as simple as telling his family and his kid brother posts it on social media somewhere.

I get it, that you'd hope everyone is solid on their word in the way you describe and that's important, but not everyone is.

I wouldn't hold it against a recruit if they agreed to keep a commitment silent, but let it slip out later. I wouldn't pull their scholarship, but rather try to as strongly as possible reaffirm his commitment.

#2015807 - 03/10/17 04:19 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

We can agree that Beaty has to try some different strategies to reduce the likelihood that his HS OL and HS DL recruits get poached. We can agree to disagree on whether recruits are capable of giving a silent verbal and keeping that news to themselves. We also can agree to disagree on how to handle a recruit that does not keep his word and leaks the news before signing day.

As far as OU offering right after KU offers maybe Beaty should slow play some of his offers so OU has to do more of their own recruiting analysis for themselves.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/10/17 04:20 PM)

#2015833 - 03/10/17 11:37 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

We can agree that Beaty has to try some different strategies to reduce the likelihood that his HS OL and HS DL recruits get poached. We can agree to disagree on whether recruits are capable of giving a silent verbal and keeping that news to themselves. We also can agree to disagree on how to handle a recruit that does not keep his word and leaks the news before signing day.

As far as OU offering right after KU offers maybe Beaty should slow play some of his offers so OU has to do more of their own recruiting analysis for themselves.
I'm not completely disagreeing with your take on if a recruit is capable of keeping a silent commitment or not, as some have shown they are. My only point was, a lot can't or won't.

Not sure KU has the luxury to slow play many of these guys right now. Maybe with a few.

#2015848 - 03/11/17 11:12 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I'm not completely disagreeing with your take on if a recruit is capable of keeping a silent commitment or not, as some have shown they are. My only point was, a lot can't or won't.

Not sure KU has the luxury to slow play many of these guys right now. Maybe with a few.
I say amen to that! It's not been said enough lately, we have to put out the dumpster fire known as Kansas football. We need to stop making excuses, and start making plays.

#2015875 - 03/11/17 09:01 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I say amen to that! It's not been said enough lately, we have to put out the dumpster fire known as Kansas football. We need to stop making excuses, and start making plays.
That's not what I said and not what I meant. I meant that only a small handful of programs around the country can really get away with slow playing higher rated recruits and right now KU is not in that small group. Leave it to you to turn it into an excuse to further dump on the program.

#2015880 - 03/12/17 09:58 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"That's not what I said" tells me you are eager to dispute ANYTHING I post. You said it, and I tried to give you a positive spin with my comments. Dumping not allowed is a common complaint you espouse 💯 % of the time.

#2015897 - 03/12/17 10:41 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"That's not what I said" tells me you are eager to dispute ANYTHING I post. You said it, and I tried to give you a positive spin with my comments. Dumping not allowed is a common complaint you espouse 💯 % of the time.
That's exactly what you did to what I said, put your spin on it.

Don't attribute YOUR spin to me.

#2015906 - 03/13/17 11:35 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Beaty would not have to do a silent offer and silent verbal for recruits that OU would find on their own. He would just do it for HS OL and HS DL recruits that are under the radar where he wants to try and keep them under the radar. These would be players in states that OU does not recruit as heavily where they are less likely to notice them.

As far as slowing down the rate of offers for HS OL and HS DL what I mean is that Beaty could wait a little longer to offer players that he wants to keep under the radar. That would make it easier for the recruits to keep their word on a silent verbal because it would be closer to signing day when they actually give Beaty the silent verbal. The less time they have to keep the secret before signing day then the more likely they are to keep the verbal a secret.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/13/17 11:37 AM)

#2015920 - 03/13/17 04:40 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Hawaii is one state we could get some silent verbals.

#2015921 - 03/13/17 04:41 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

That's exactly what you did to what I said, put your spin on it.

Don't attribute YOUR spin to me.
If you read things correctly you wouldn't wonder about what I said you said.

#2016155 - 03/19/17 01:46 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
The Kook is on the loose again!

#2016185 - 03/20/17 07:16 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
The Kook is on the loose again!
Could say the same for Kman_boo...