Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015677 - 03/07/17 04:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Just for funsies look at out attendance! I'm betting we pay more per fanny in the seat than any other P-5 school! But at least we don't talk endlessly about stadium expansion or blowing up Memorial anymore.

So what is a fair amount to coach a bad Power 5 football team?

I'm asking just for discussion sake. Obviously being paid the lowest amount of all Power 5 coaches is still complaint-worthy.

Don't ask me, I think all P-5 coaches are GROSSLY overpaid. it's a dumbassed arms race. College athletics is simply big business. No longer about "student athletes".

#2015678 - 03/07/17 04:36 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
I absolutely agree, but like it or not, KU is involved in the arms race.

Unfortunately, society thinks an educational institution is the best place to groom future NBA and NFL players. Looking toward those, you have leagues of coaches, players, etc that are overpaid. The whole sports industry is way too overvalued to make any real logical sense to me.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015679 - 03/07/17 04:51 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
To be honest, I had far more fun watching the grid hawks back in the 70's and early 80's than I do now. Fam making something like $50k a year for a better product on the field than we have seen in damn near a decade. And Fam groomed more than his fair share of NFL talent.

Ah well, the world grew up and became nucking futz. crazy

#2015680 - 03/07/17 04:55 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Right, but in the 70s and early 80s, NFL players making six figures a year wasn't common. Now a decent backup QB makes $5M a year.

#2015683 - 03/07/17 05:22 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
You must have forgotten those annual 60 to 3 butt whippings those huskers routinely put on us. The came to town in their red cowboy hats and took over our stadium.

#2015684 - 03/07/17 05:25 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Gale Sayers signed for 100,000 for 4 years.

#2015685 - 03/07/17 06:01 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: track
Your wordsmithing is always a bit off. He got a $50k signing bonus as well. My wife learned how to climb the rope from him in elementary school.

#2015688 - 03/07/17 06:40 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Your wordsmithing is always a bit off. He got a $50k signing bonus as well. My wife learned how to climb the rope from him in elementary school.

Wordsmithing....climb the rope..... grin

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/07/17 06:40 PM)

#2015689 - 03/07/17 07:17 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Philosopher Aristotle once said "Patience is a Virtue". He probably said it for more than one time during three long football seasons in the fifth century.

I don't know what that picture is, but boy is it ugly!
1 time!?!? LOL

Also, 3 full football seasons...so you were b!tching and moaning like this during Weis's last year? If so, it wasn't on this board. Else, you've already written off this season which would be foolish to put it nicely.

#2015690 - 03/07/17 07:23 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Funsy discuss? How long can someone coach a bad P5 before he is released from his duties? He gets 3 years but does he get 4 if we don't on field progress.
Depends on the situation the coach came into as well as what kind of progress is apparent during those 3 or 4 years.

Someone who doesn't understand those things, doesn't understand how college football works IMHO.

#2015691 - 03/07/17 08:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
To be honest, I had far more fun watching the grid hawks back in the 70's and early 80's than I do now. Fam making something like $50k a year for a better product on the field than we have seen in damn near a decade. And Fam groomed more than his fair share of NFL talent.

Ah well, the world grew up and became nucking futz. crazy
I certainly can see the point of view that everyone is now grossly overpaid and they certainly are paid a lot more in relation to the median national income. I also know how underpaid most all coaches were in prior eras whereas one of KU's best coaches in the past 60 years, Jack Mitchell, had to have other jobs to in order to make a living in addition to his HC job at KU. That caused his coaching to suffer as well as the team overall.

I guess my point is, things change and shift and probably will again, especially with how ESPN seems to be losing money hand over fist lately. The big TV money has been driving the very big salaries and arms race for the most part. ESPN just announced another round of layoffs and they've been losing a lot of money on some of their deals in addition to losing a substantial number of subscribers as more people cut cable.

Just wait a while, things will probably look a lot different in the not too distant future. Not sure it'll be good, but it;ll most likely be quite different.

#2015692 - 03/07/17 09:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Funsy discuss? How long can someone coach a bad P5 before he is released from his duties? He gets 3 years but does he get 4 if we don't on field progress.
Depends on the situation the coach came into as well as what kind of progress is apparent during those 3 or 4 years.

Someone who doesn't understand those things, doesn't understand how college football works IMHO.
Oh I understand glitter talk from you. You still think Gill/Weis is the coach. The 95 % loss ratio is all Beaty. Do you believe the current "earned it" coach can ever reach .500 ? You are the only one.

#2015695 - 03/07/17 11:18 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I don't know. There seems to be more to it than just them being lazy and trying to swoop in to steal the more prized recruits from us after we do all the work evaluating them. I mean, why aren't they trying to do that with other Big 12 programs? Sure, they often go after some of the same recruits as other Big 12 teams, but I don't think they're immediately offering recruits once they get another Big 12 offer, outside of KU offers. Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

Maybe Lincoln Riley is doing it to mess with his brother. Or Stoops is trying to get revenge for Mangino. Beaty could cut down on the problem by going silent with some of his offers like he did with Kerr Johnson. Using silent offers would be a good strategy to cut down on bird dogging towards the end of the recruiting cycle when all of the schools are scrambling to fill open spots.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/08/17 12:33 AM)

#2015697 - 03/08/17 08:07 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Maybe Lincoln Riley is doing it to mess with his brother. Or Stoops is trying to get revenge for Mangino. Beaty could cut down on the problem by going silent with some of his offers like he did with Kerr Johnson. Using silent offers would be a good strategy to cut down on bird dogging towards the end of the recruiting cycle when all of the schools are scrambling to fill open spots.

Or we just get good enough to make it so players don't have any reason to change commitments.

#2015701 - 03/08/17 08:42 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer

Wordsmithing....climb the rope..... grin
He forgot $50k. All better professor?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview