Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015639 - 03/06/17 06:42 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I think that shows a lot about OU right there.

It shows they're lazy and rely on the work of others, aka KU.

It shows they think our staff knows how to evaluate talent.

It also shows they're running a bit scared or paranoid about KU starting to rise up.

I used to think of OU as just 1 of the top dogs in the conference I'd love for KU to beat, but now after this lazy predatory recruiting they've been doing against us the past year or 2, the arrogant obnoxious tweets put out by old big game bobby last year about that home town recruit, and now the arrogant douchey tweets put out by their drunken run from the cops QB about the Trae Young recruiting battle, I'm really starting to hate them.

I don't think OU is scared of KU but their staff definitely is lazy and I agree the OU coaching staff believes the KU coaching staff is good at evaluating talent. It must be a PITA for Beaty and staff to do all the heavy lifting and then have OU swoop in and take the prize recruits.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/06/17 06:42 PM)

#2015640 - 03/06/17 06:46 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: PbBut]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: PbBut
Frankly, this is entirely out of Beaty's hands. The NCAA won't let him say anything specific about any recruit until an LOI is received. That's why when his "neat deal" comes out it never includes a name. At that point its up to fans to find out who he's tweeting about.

I meant that Beaty accepts the verbal commit but Beaty asks the HS OL or HS DL recruit not to announce the verbal to KU.

#2015641 - 03/06/17 07:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
kman comments sound very realistic today. The key is that we don't know if Beaty can coach yet. Biggest question mark. Along with that is game preparation as well as game day strategy.

We know Beaty hired Meacham as OC so that is a step in the right direction.

#2015644 - 03/06/17 08:38 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
I think that shows a lot about OU right there.

It shows they're lazy and rely on the work of others, aka KU.

It shows they think our staff knows how to evaluate talent.

It also shows they're running a bit scared or paranoid about KU starting to rise up.

I used to think of OU as just 1 of the top dogs in the conference I'd love for KU to beat, but now after this lazy predatory recruiting they've been doing against us the past year or 2, the arrogant obnoxious tweets put out by old big game bobby last year about that home town recruit, and now the arrogant douchey tweets put out by their drunken run from the cops QB about the Trae Young recruiting battle, I'm really starting to hate them.

I don't think OU is scared of KU but their staff definitely is lazy and I agree the OU coaching staff believes the KU coaching staff is good at evaluating talent. It must be a PITA for Beaty and staff to do all the heavy lifting and then have OU swoop in and take the prize recruits.
I don't know. There seems to be more to it than just them being lazy and trying to swoop in to steal the more prized recruits from us after we do all the work evaluating them. I mean, why aren't they trying to do that with other Big 12 programs? Sure, they often go after some of the same recruits as other Big 12 teams, but I don't think they're immediately offering recruits once they get another Big 12 offer, outside of KU offers. Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

I think they may be a bit paranoid about KU rising to a level where it starts to affect their success and that's a part of why they're trying to steal away so many recruits from us recently.

#2015645 - 03/06/17 09:14 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Dgless21's comment about what coach Beaty said during the season ticket holder event about OU doing this also seems to me to lend credence to the idea that they're worried on some level about the potential of KU's program eating away some at theirs.

I think they may be a bit paranoid about KU rising to a level where it starts to affect their success and that's a part of why they're trying to steal away so many recruits from us recently.

To be fair, Beaty also was very positive about it. He basically said that they won't always be able to poach players. He mentioned the fanbase coming around as we improve. He mentioned the locker rooms, the dorms, KU education, and stadium improvements (being discussed?) as all things that are only going to make us easier to sell to kids.

He transitioned into discussing building relationships early in the process and moved on to discussing the great junior day prospects that were coming to visit.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015646 - 03/06/17 09:49 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
If Beaty thinks the fan base is coming around, just think how we will feel after some valid wins on his resume. So far it's not happening.

He's been rewarded (salary) but where's our reward?

#2015656 - 03/07/17 11:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas

#2015658 - 03/07/17 01:36 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Philosopher Aristotle once said "Patience is a Virtue". He probably said it for more than one time during three long football seasons in the fifth century.

I don't know what that picture is, but boy is it ugly!

#2015662 - 03/07/17 02:13 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

The 3.1M our coaches (including Beaty) made last year and the 4.63M they're scheduled to make next year is a lot of money...but it's still last in the big 12 by a decent amount.

Beaty is a Power 5 coach that ranks about 75th overall in salary with his recent pay increase. Last in the Power 5. Curious how being the lowest paid in your field is determined to be too much money.

Just for funsies: Both are less than the $4.7M we paid Weis and staff for one win in 2012 (after paying a $6M lump sum payment to fire a three win Gill).

#2015665 - 03/07/17 03:03 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
The 3.1M our coaches (including Beaty) made last year and the 4.63M they're scheduled to make next year is a lot of money...but it's still last in the big 12 by a decent amount.

Beaty is a Power 5 coach that ranks about 75th overall in salary with his recent pay increase. Last in the Power 5. Curious how being the lowest paid in your field is determined to be too much money.

Just for funsies: Both are less than the $4.7M we paid Weis and staff for one win in 2012 (after paying a $6M lump sum payment to fire a three win Gill).
Too much money is being paid for potential in HC Beaty. He hasn't earned it. Can't speak to Gill or Weis at this point as their factors have changed downward, thanks to the actions of AD Zenger. Beaty isn't going anywhere at .8M or 1.6M annual salary. I know I am using decimals again, so some people may think it is FAKE NEWS. LOL

#2015666 - 03/07/17 03:08 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

Just for funsies look at out attendance! I'm betting we pay more per fanny in the seat than any other P-5 school! But at least we don't talk endlessly about stadium expansion or blowing up Memorial anymore.

#2015667 - 03/07/17 03:13 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Just for funsies look at out attendance! I'm betting we pay more per fanny in the seat than any other P-5 school! But at least we don't talk endlessly about stadium expansion or blowing up Memorial anymore.
There's last and then there's dead last(talking salary). We are closer to dead than alive, hypothetically. Earn .8M first!!

#2015668 - 03/07/17 03:26 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

So what is a fair amount to coach a bad Power 5 football team?

I'm asking just for discussion sake. Obviously being paid the lowest amount of all Power 5 coaches is still complaint-worthy.

#2015671 - 03/07/17 04:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

As far as attendance, basic fundamentals of marketing suggest that if a customer has a negative experience, he/she is likely to spend less and have a reduced brand loyalty. Now, think about the last 8-9 years of KU football and the games that many could deem "negative experiences."

After repeated negative experiences, it's not uncommon to see consumers in the "premium loyalty" and "inertia loyalty" categories move to "latent loyalty" or "no loyalty" categories. So the fans that went from always at the games to waiting and seeing how the first few go...or the fans that went just for the fun experience that found new fun ways to spend their Saturdays.

Beaty is partially to blame for this, but it is hard to suggest he's the culprit for 8-9 years of bad experiences.

#2015676 - 03/07/17 04:16 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beaty isn't the culprit for 8-9 years of attendance decline? Safe statement.

I agree. But he is responsible for a certain time period, right?

Funsy discuss? How long can someone coach a bad P5 before he is released from his duties? He gets 3 years but does he get 4 if we don't on field progress.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview