Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015553 - 03/03/17 05:27 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: AlOerter]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Trending in the right direction. I believe in David Beaty. I would want to play for that guy.

I wouldn't. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box. Folksy and cute maybe, kind of like a lost puppy. But not the type I would play for.

#2015565 - 03/04/17 01:13 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Trending in the right direction. I believe in David Beaty. I would want to play for that guy.

I wouldn't. He doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box. Folksy and cute maybe, kind of like a lost puppy. But not the type I would play for.

What makes you think coach Beaty is dumb?

I think he's shown to be just the opposite of what you say when you look at his actions.

#2015566 - 03/04/17 07:19 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

I think he's shown to be just the opposite of what you say when you look at his actions.

Time will tell. If he is as dumb as Beenahawk thinks the program will be worse this year than when Beaty took over the head coaching job...so expect zero wins. If he is as good as you think, then we should see real progress on the field this year...both in number of wins and being more competitive against the best teams. I am betting on your take.....should make for an exciting year to watch KU football...unless of course Beenahawk is right and in that case Beaty probably will be gone this time next year....that would make beenahawk and cuckoo very happy based on all their negative posts about Beaty.

Edited by track (03/04/17 07:23 AM)

#2015574 - 03/04/17 03:14 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Nobody likes realistic assessments.

#2015604 - 03/05/17 06:06 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I'm also not sure if KU had the luxury to not take a commitment from a recruit because the coaches weren't certain how solid it was. KU just didn't and really still doesn't have enough scholarship level players on the team to refuse a commitment from someone they suspect may be a place holder type commitment. The staff does look like they keep recruiting other guys in case that's the case though. I don't think they were caught without a backup plan when those guys decommitted last year.

I'm saying Beaty should accept the commits from HS OL and HS DL recruits but not announce them until close to signing day. Why? Because other programs target our recruiting class for poaching. Using a silent verbal cuts down on the negative recruiting against KU which reduces the success of poaching our recruits. Since the talent pool for HS OL and HS DL recruits is smaller using silent verbals is a better strategy.

If I read your posts correctly you are saying Beaty should do the same thing with recruiting HS OL and HS DL that has not worked for the past 2 years. Why stick with a strategy that fails? What changes in tactics can Beaty make to increase the probability that the HS OL and HS DL recruits that give verbal commitments to KU actually stick and sign with KU?

Beaty needs to get a little more Machiavelli - Sun Tzu with his recruiting tactics when it comes to HS OL and HS DL recruits. Those are the kinds of ideas that I am looking for in this thread.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/05/17 07:01 PM)

#2015613 - 03/05/17 08:41 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I find it hard to believe that a HS player doesn't want it to be known and probably couldn't keep it under his hat anyway.

#2015619 - 03/06/17 12:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: bigdogjac]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
I find it hard to believe that a HS player doesn't want it to be known and probably couldn't keep it under his hat anyway.
What he said.

The 1st person to announce commitments is often the recruit themselves. I think in this day and age of social media, etc. it'd be darn near impossible to have a silent recruit. Though, it does happen from time to time still.

KU was able to do it with Kerr Johnson, but it's still a rare thing to have happen.

I guess KU could try and do that if the recruit will cooperate.

I really don't think there's some creative way to keep poachers at bay, other than to keep selling the recruit on what KU offers them. Keep in contact with them and build that relationship and trust as strong as possible. Some coaches are better at that than others.

Also, getting the parents(moms especially) on board as well is key with a lot of recruits.

A lot of HS recruits mostly think of the here and now and as you said other teams come in and negative recruit against KU successfully sometimes because of the here and now nature of a lot HS kids. Winning more games and keeping the program on the upswing is what it'll take to keep some recruits from being flipped.

I also think that seeing 2 Bama guys transfer in, as well as seeing very highly rated recruits like we've got currently committed also helps out a lot with HS kids who are of that hear and now mindset. I think that recruiting momentum will help keep guys committed, but every team has guys decommit almost every year, so it's not bullet proof.

Lastly, I don't think we've failed in recruiting good DL and OL over the past couple of years. Yeah, we lost a few, but we've also gotten some good ones. Guys like Adeniji, Ribordy, Baldwin, Armstrong, and Wise all come to mind immediately.

#2015628 - 03/06/17 09:49 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
kman comments sound very realistic today. The key is that we don't know if Beaty can coach yet. Biggest question mark. Along with that is game preparation as well as game day strategy.

#2015630 - 03/06/17 10:27 AM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

I didn't say Beaty was "dumb". I said that "he doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box."

As far as his actions? Some of his game day decisions have been rather bazaar to say the least. Anyone who needs two timeouts to decide to put a QB in a game in a goal line situation that has never taken a snap, resulting in a busted play 1) wasn't prepared 2) his team wasn't prepared. Good teams and good coaches simply do not do that.

Not that other coaches haven't done some DUMB things......The Buddha was guilty of the dumbest move I have ever seen...resting Charles Gordon with less than a minute to go before half against Texas Tech and installing a "toast twin", because Gordon needed a blow tops all idiocy in my book.

Giving Tony Hull a HUGE promotion is also quite questionable in my mind. A raise is one thing, that much of a raise and the Asst. HC moniker is the type of thing that causes dissention in the ranks. Safe to say everyone in the program is busting their butts, why just reward Hull?

Just my 2 cents. I'm hopeful, but maintain my doubts.

Will he improve? Time will tell.

#2015632 - 03/06/17 01:00 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I didn't say Beaty was "dumb". I said that "he doesn't seem to be the sharpest crayon in the box."
With all due respect, but that's just a euphemistic way of saying someone is dumb.

As far as his actions? Some of his game day decisions have been rather bazaar to say the least. Anyone who needs two timeouts to decide to put a QB in a game in a goal line situation that has never taken a snap, resulting in a busted play 1) wasn't prepared 2) his team wasn't prepared. Good teams and good coaches simply do not do that.

Not that other coaches haven't done some DUMB things......The Buddha was guilty of the dumbest move I have ever seen...resting Charles Gordon with less than a minute to go before half against Texas Tech and installing a "toast twin", because Gordon needed a blow tops all idiocy in my book.

Giving Tony Hull a HUGE promotion is also quite questionable in my mind. A raise is one thing, that much of a raise and the Asst. HC moniker is the type of thing that causes dissention in the ranks. Safe to say everyone in the program is busting their butts, why just reward Hull?

Just my 2 cents. I'm hopeful, but maintain my doubts.

Will he improve? Time will tell.
I see now that you mean he's done some things which you consider dumb. I think just about everyone at some point or other in their lives has done things others would consider dumb. Fair enough.

I think the coach Hull raise was done after the giant recruiting weekend he pulled off as well as the big recruiting gets he had in the 2017 class (including Mike Lee who ended up coming 1 year early). Heard some other big football programs started making inquiries about him and that also played a part in his promotion/raise. Also, all of the other assistant coaches had received raises at the beginning of the year, so it's not like nobody else got a pay raise too.

My point about his actions, was his actions overall and not specific individual actions.

#2015633 - 03/06/17 01:33 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just a quick thought on something maybe they could try to do to shore up a commit they're not 100% sure on is, they could let those recruits know that other schools will be coming around to try and poach them now that they've committed to KU. Say something along the lines that those other schools are just trying to ride off the coat tails of KU and they didn't want them as much as KU does as they didn't offer them until after the recruit had committed, or that those other schools didn't really even take the time to evaluate them and are just using KU's research and evaluation because they think our coaching staff knows how to identify quality recruits. I actually think there's plenty of evidence this is indeed happening to KU with several of these recruits. I mean, OU offered several KU targets immediately after KU offered them and had them at our Junior Day. Hell, they even immediately offered at least 1 of the Louisianimals who committed to us during their Junior Day visit.

Something along the lines of letting a commit know that these other schools may now be coming after him just because he committed to KU. Tell them that a lot of them wouldn't offer or want him otherwise. Kind of implying they're disingenuous. A kind of negative recruiting against any late comers after a guy who's already committed to KU. I think there'd be a lot of truth to those pitches too.

#2015634 - 03/06/17 02:28 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Beaty actually commented specifically on the OU subject at the season ticket holder event.

He basically said that KU would get a verbal from a good player or see our interested recruits, and Cale Gundy would immediately review that player's film and decide to offer for OU.

Beaty definitely didn't seem too fond of him.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015636 - 03/06/17 05:07 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think that shows a lot about OU right there.

It shows they're lazy and rely on the work of others, aka KU.

It shows they think our staff knows how to evaluate talent.

It also shows they're running a bit scared or paranoid about KU starting to rise up.

I used to think of OU as just 1 of the top dogs in the conference I'd love for KU to beat, but now after this lazy predatory recruiting they've been doing against us the past year or 2, the arrogant obnoxious tweets put out by old big game bobby last year about that home town recruit, and now the arrogant douchey tweets put out by their drunken run from the cops QB about the Trae Young recruiting battle, I'm really starting to hate them.

#2015637 - 03/06/17 05:15 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: pizzanbeer]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
[quote=Kman_blue]I'm saying Beaty should accept the commits from HS OL and HS DL recruits but not announce them until close to signing day. Why? Because other programs target our recruiting class for poaching.

Frankly, this is entirely out of Beaty's hands. The NCAA won't let him say anything specific about any recruit until an LOI is received. That's why when his "neat deal" comes out it never includes a name. At that point its up to fans to find out who he's tweeting about.
Just this past week Petro on 810 asked Lon Kruger about Trae Young. Despite the fact that everyone on the planet who cares knew that Young committed to OU, Kruger wasn't even allowed to say his name, and won't be able to until signing day. These public commitments come from the players, not the school or the staff.

#2015638 - 03/06/17 06:32 PM Re: Recruiting HS OL & HS DL [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Just a quick thought on something maybe they could try to do to shore up a commit they're not 100% sure on is, they could let those recruits know that other schools will be coming around to try and poach them now that they've committed to KU. Say something along the lines that those other schools are just trying to ride off the coat tails of KU and they didn't want them as much as KU does as they didn't offer them until after the recruit had committed, or that those other schools didn't really even take the time to evaluate them and are just using KU's research and evaluation because they think our coaching staff knows how to identify quality recruits. I actually think there's plenty of evidence this is indeed happening to KU with several of these recruits. I mean, OU offered several KU targets immediately after KU offered them and had them at our Junior Day. Hell, they even immediately offered at least 1 of the Louisianimals who committed to us during their Junior Day visit.

Now this fits in perfect with how to explain the benefit of a silent verbal to a recruit. The benefits to the recruit are he does not have to hear a bunch of BS negative recruiting about KU. Lay out the truth of the matter to the recruit that the silent verbal is used for OL/DL where there is a lot of poaching and we offered because we really want the recruit and think they are a very special part of the team. All of this is true. I think the recruits can be trusted to keep their word on a silent verbal. If we can't trust recruits to keep their word on a silent verbal then why should we even accept the verbal commit?

I also think this cuts down on recruits using a KU verbal to attract attention from other schools like Nelson Jenkins did with LSU. It also cuts down on lazy recruiting like what OU is doing by using KU coaches to bird dog their prospects. As I recall Mangino was rumored to use silent verbals on some of his recruits too so this is not such a new idea.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/06/17 06:54 PM)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview