Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015189 - 02/21/17 05:54 PM Running Game
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

KU finished ranked #113 for yards per rushing attempt. Considering Beaty hired Meacham, has stability on OL and added Williams and Matthews how much will we improve? At TCU Meacham had his QB run the ball a lot but he won't be able to do that as much at KU.

I think we can improve to somewhere in the mid 90's ranking which is a half yard per attempt better than last season. If we could improve by a full yard per attempt that would get us to the middle ranked around #64. How much do you expect the running game to improve by next season?

#2015190 - 02/21/17 06:28 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
We are a passing offense so probably we will see very little change.

#2015191 - 02/21/17 07:56 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
KU finished ranked #113 for yards per rushing attempt. Considering Beaty hired Meacham, has stability on OL and added Williams and Matthews how much will we improve? At TCU Meacham had his QB run the ball a lot but he won't be able to do that as much at KU.

I think we can improve to somewhere in the mid 90's ranking which is a half yard per attempt better than last season. If we could improve by a full yard per attempt that would get us to the middle ranked around #64. How much do you expect the running game to improve by next season?

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza.
I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.
Even elementary level fans understand that a balanced attack enhances the prospects for success regardless of your intended specialty. Patriots are a good example of a "passing team" that also runs the ball well. Seahawks have been labeled as a running team, but they are actually a big play type offense using the run to set up the big pass play and the pass to spring big runs.
I anticipate our improved Jayhawk offensive line will make a noticeably big difference for our running game and expect we will see better success not only at running the ball but for our entire offense.
This year things are going to be different for Jayhawk footballers!

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015208 - 02/22/17 01:21 PM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza.
I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.
Even elementary level fans understand that a balanced attack enhances the prospects for success regardless of your intended specialty. Patriots are a good example of a "passing team" that also runs the ball well. Seahawks have been labeled as a running team, but they are actually a big play type offense using the run to set up the big pass play and the pass to spring big runs.
I anticipate our improved Jayhawk offensive line will make a noticeably big difference for our running game and expect we will see better success not only at running the ball but for our entire offense.
This year things are going to be different for Jayhawk footballers!
Patriots and Seahawks? Hell, the Browns would destroy most of the BIG 12, but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly. The question was how will the running game do in 2017 for Kansas. Since we emphasize passing, the running probably won't improve much, if at all. Obviously.

#2015238 - 02/23/17 08:11 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
TCU did have 195 rushing yards/game. Granted they had Hill at QB that picked up his fair share of rushing yards, but still almost 200 per game on the ground isn't bad.. But TCU was always deep at running back. KU is now sneaky deep at RB. Martin, Matthews, Williams are all pretty darn good players.

Meacham is an old OL coach, so he likes to run the ball. All former OL do. My high school coach was a college OL and I think we had a 90/10 run to pass ratio. Or so it seemed. All former OL want to run the ball. I doubt Meacham is any different.

#2015258 - 02/23/17 02:38 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
TCU did have 195 rushing yards/game. Granted they had Hill at QB that picked up his fair share of rushing yards, but still almost 200 per game on the ground isn't bad.. But TCU was always deep at running back. KU is now sneaky deep at RB. Martin, Matthews, Williams are all pretty darn good players.

Meacham is an old OL coach, so he likes to run the ball. All former OL do. My high school coach was a college OL and I think we had a 90/10 run to pass ratio. Or so it seemed. All former OL want to run the ball. I doubt Meacham is any different.
If Meacham since 2014 is analyzed, the ratio of pass to run is 50/50%. Kansas needs to run and pass about 200 more attempts to be the equal of TCU. Was looking at 2014-present stats. More offensive plays as a running / passing QB would solve that.

Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary.

#2015259 - 02/23/17 06:21 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary."

EVERYONE can clearly see in my post I emphasised the value of a balanced attack, while YOU KOOK said "we are a passing offense" which will likely experience little improvement in the running game.

Kook, you are a complete and utter waste of our time and virtual space.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015260 - 02/23/17 07:30 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
The problem was we couldn't consistently win on first down making it difficult to run on second down or struggle with a potential third and long.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015261 - 02/23/17 07:51 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Hills rushing stats at QB were similar to Kinners stats. Meacham used the QB on a lot of running plays last season. Now he has a variety of RBs to use but no QBs. I want to see more traps and counter plays next season. I hope Beaty uses his new S&C coach Woodfin to keep the OL mobile for when they need to pull for blocks. I also want to see how Beaty uses the H-back as an extra blocker for running plays. The Woodfin hire has me bumping up my expectation for average rushing yards per play to 4.5.

You would think Meacham would favor running plays but TCU ran a balanced offense last season. Patterson was critical of the running game at TCU so Meacham needs to get back to his OL roots. Beaty has built a good group of coaches to help Meacham figure it out so I expect a big improvement.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/23/17 08:10 PM)

#2015262 - 02/23/17 08:07 PM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza. I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.

I agree that more success from our passing game helps our running game. ESPN shows KU averaged 3.5 yards per rushing attempt last season. How much better do you think our average yards per rush attempt will be next season?

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/23/17 08:08 PM)

#2015263 - 02/23/17 08:10 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I agree that more success from our passing game helps our running game. ESPN shows KU averaged 3.5 yards per rushing attempt last season. How much better do you think our average yards per rush attempt will be next season?

We need it to be closer to 4.5 per carry.

#2015265 - 02/24/17 12:34 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015266 - 02/24/17 08:00 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

4.5 would put us at about the NCAA median (65th) in yards per attempt.

It all goes hand in hand. That would help us (theoretically) get a handful of extra first downs a game. Loosen up the opposing defense. Give our defense a few more minute to rest. Let us have the energy to fly around the ball when we get the D on the field.

#2015267 - 02/24/17 08:08 AM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary."

EVERYONE can clearly see in my post I emphasised the value of a balanced attack, while YOU KOOK said "we are a passing offense" which will likely experience little improvement in the running game.

Kook, you are a complete and utter waste of our time and virtual space.
As it relates to TCU, we provided less balance (attempts per game) than a successful TCU offense. Consistently. You implied that we needed balance when we already have balance overall, need more plays ran on offense by about 200 times split evenly in 2017 to compare to TCU.

Your rah rah crap wasn't articulating that fact so I put it out there. Without being condescending...

Edited by KUCO_VOC (02/24/17 08:18 AM)

#2015268 - 02/24/17 08:12 AM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.
That's why I said we won't see much, if at all improvement in 2017 in the running game. We can't expect 3.5 to suddenly become 4.5

#2015269 - 02/24/17 08:16 AM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
4.5 would put us at about the NCAA median (65th) in yards per attempt.

It all goes hand in hand. That would help us (theoretically) get a handful of extra first downs a game. Loosen up the opposing defense. Give our defense a few more minute to rest. Let us have the energy to fly around the ball when we get the D on the field.
Perhaps the better measure is a look at air raid type teams for their running measurements. Not suggesting I have that information but it would be more relevant for Kansas. Overall the question, is a very good one.

#2015285 - 02/24/17 05:43 PM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I am interested to see who Beaty uses to replace Zunica at FB. Maybe thats where they use the walk on Kashe Boatner from Alabama. A good FB would be a big help to our running game. Beaty said Cooper Root could play some at H-back so Root will help with run blocking too.

KU had a better avg rushing yards per attempt than TT but that is not saying much. WashSt and Cal were around 4.5. ISU and OkSt also were around 4.5 and ranked in the mid 60s. At 5 yards per rush we catch Texas and move into the top 40.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/26/17 12:23 AM)

#2015358 - 02/27/17 11:27 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Our yards per carry will rise if DB continues his propensity for running the ball on 3rd and 10! Our HC seems to love the draw play, doesn't care if it works, just likes to run it.

#2015359 - 02/27/17 12:05 PM Re: Running Game [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Our yards per carry will rise if DB continues his propensity for running the ball on 3rd and 10! Our HC seems to love the draw play, doesn't care if it works, just likes to run it.

Cozart and/or Willis forced into a must-pass down seems like a bad strategy for us.

Hopefully an upgrade at QB and OC...and basically another year of experience at every position but RB, FB, and TE should help us out a bit.

#2015374 - 02/27/17 06:36 PM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Cozart and/or Willis forced into a must-pass down seems like a bad strategy for us.

Hopefully an upgrade at QB and OC...and basically another year of experience at every position but RB, FB, and TE should help us out a bit.
The staff turnover isn't helpful. The RB situation is a real problem for 2017 as well. Have to hope this third year of Beaty Ball isn't the final curtain.

#2015393 - 02/28/17 10:59 AM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

The staff turnover isn't helpful. The RB situation is a real problem for 2017 as well. Have to hope this third year of Beaty Ball isn't the final curtain.

Is RB a problem though? You have 4 talented guys that are going to get their fair share of carries. Williams rushed for 8,000 yards in Texas. They have some good teams that he rushed for those yards against. Matthews is the top JUCO RB. Was with Auburn, so he's no scrub. Martin will be back again. Has speed, just doesn't seem to have the vision yet. And Herbert is a damn good player. Would have played more if not for Kinner being really good late.

#2015654 - 03/07/17 11:08 AM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
jayhawk_4_life2 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: one foot in slave state one fo...
That's why I said we won't see much, if at all improvement in 2017 in the running game. We can't expect 3.5 to suddenly become 4.5

Ok I'm not 100% bandwagon that with Meachem we'll "win them all" but I do think it will get us a guy with much better talent solely focusing on offense and not the big picture (meachem vs beaty)...I brag that 4 wins - minor bowl is the goal this year...

KUCO you said "we can't expect 3.5 to SUDDENLY become 4.5" which I understand but early you said "but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly."

So what gives??

#2015659 - 03/07/17 01:42 PM Re: Running Game [Re: jayhawk_4_life2]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: jayhawk_4_life2

Ok I'm not 100% bandwagon that with Meachem we'll "win them all" but I do think it will get us a guy with much better talent solely focusing on offense and not the big picture (meachem vs beaty)...I brag that 4 wins - minor bowl is the goal this year...

KUCO you said "we can't expect 3.5 to SUDDENLY become 4.5" which I understand but early you said "but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly."

So what gives??
We can't pass yet, so running for 4.5 is not realistic. No balance to the roster or coaching. College ball recruiting and staff changes is where "things can change quickly". We've seen that just in this off season. Huge salary swings and some de-commits quickly.

#2015674 - 03/07/17 04:04 PM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
For what its worth, you, nor anyone else on this forum, has any clue as to whether or not we can pass yet....to be able to determine whether or not 4.5 is realistic.

That is the beauty about having "potentially" an upgrade at the QB spot, "potentially" an upgraded O-Line, "potentially" an upgraded WR corps, and a "potentially" upgraded play caller at OC.

if Bender is legit, and the 2 Bama transfers fortify an already decent (but young) OL, and an already solid WR corp.....then who's to say that Meacham doesn't come in and make it so we can pass, thus opening up the ground game significantly.

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speak in absolutes is a little silly when there is major change for the better (at face value), at each major part of the passing game.

#2015675 - 03/07/17 04:09 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Phog1004]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Phog1004
For what its worth, you, nor anyone else on this forum, has any clue as to whether or not we can pass yet....to be able to determine whether or not 4.5 is realistic.

That is the beauty about having "potentially" an upgrade at the QB spot, "potentially" an upgraded O-Line, "potentially" an upgraded WR corps, and a "potentially" upgraded play caller at OC.

if Bender is legit, and the 2 Bama transfers fortify an already decent (but young) OL, and an already solid WR corp.....then who's to say that Meacham doesn't come in and make it so we can pass, thus opening up the ground game significantly.

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speak in absolutes is a little silly when there is major change for the better (at face value), at each major part of the passing game.
Original question asked for opinions not absolutes. Absolutely never said I know this future stuff. Hope you are right, but based on history I have my opinion.

If,if,if.

Edited by KUCO_VOC (03/07/17 04:10 PM)

#2015682 - 03/07/17 05:08 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
"We can't pass yet, so running for 4.5 is not realistic..."

sounded like a fairly absolute statement....I must have missed the qualifying "I think...."

My mistake

#2015686 - 03/07/17 06:04 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Not realistic or I think? Same difference in qualifier

#2015687 - 03/07/17 06:35 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Phog1004]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: Phog1004

Bender had some good performance at WashSt and JC that gives me a clue he will be an upgrade over Willis and Cozart. You forgot the "potentially" upgraded S&C coach. We need Beaty, Meacham, Hull and Yenser to figure out how to use the weapons they have at RB. Our coaching and OL need to step up this season if we want to get to 4.5 avg yards per rushing attempt. The potential is there.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/07/17 06:48 PM)

#2015693 - 03/07/17 09:23 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

4.5 is something I could bet on as I achievable

#2015698 - 03/08/17 08:17 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Bender had some good performance at WashSt and JC that gives me a clue he will be an upgrade over Willis and Cozart. You forgot the "potentially" upgraded S&C coach. We need Beaty, Meacham, Hull and Yenser to figure out how to use the weapons they have at RB. Our coaching and OL need to step up this season if we want to get to 4.5 avg yards per rushing attempt. The potential is there.

We also have #1 JUCO running back who played in the air raid at ICC with Bender. He should be able to catch the ball a bit and help out of the backfield. Dom could help there too--the recruiting sites had him being a potential factor in rushing, receiving, and returning.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more than ~30 receptions by the running backs this year, and it helps the running game as well.

#2015778 - 03/09/17 08:19 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Is RB a problem though? You have 4 talented guys that are going to get their fair share of carries. Williams rushed for 8,000 yards in Texas. They have some good teams that he rushed for those yards against. Matthews is the top JUCO RB. Was with Auburn, so he's no scrub. Martin will be back again. Has speed, just doesn't seem to have the vision yet. And Herbert is a damn good player. Would have played more if not for Kinner being really good late.

The 2 RBs that transferred in Thompson and Evans will help too.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/09/17 08:20 PM)

#2015794 - 03/10/17 09:55 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Evans was available last year and didn't do much.

Thompson projects to be more of a Pierson-type back. Speedy and probably not an every down, between the tackles kind of runner.

#2015834 - 03/11/17 12:23 AM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Evans was available last year and didn't do much.

Thompson projects to be more of a Pierson-type back. Speedy and probably not an every down, between the tackles kind of runner.

Evans was busy finishing off his under grad degree at Arkansas in the offseason so he couldn't train like he needed to. I expect him to be much better next season. I am looking forward to seeing what Thompson can do. He was a 3 star recruit coming out of HS so he has some talent. It is great to have so much depth and quality at RB.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/11/17 02:19 AM)

#2015839 - 03/11/17 01:31 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree, on paper we look to be quite deep and have a good amount of quality at the RB spot going into this season.

If I'm not mistaken, from biggest to smallest here's who we've got.

Reese Randall - 5'11" 216lbs. Jr. Walkon from Baldwin City, KS
Denzell Evans - 5'11" 215lbs. Sr. Bigger back who played quite a bit last year & transfer from Arkansas
Octavius Matthews - 6'1" 205lbs. Do it all kind of back, who was rated #1 JUCO RB in the nation & former Auburn commit out of Stevenson, AL
Taylor Martin - 5'10" 200lbs. Jr. A guy with great straight line speed who made some progress last year from Fort Worth, TX
Khalil Herbert - 5'9" 200lbs. Soph. Good vision & showed signs of taking the next step late last year from Coral Springs, FL
Dominic Williams - 5'9" 197lbs. True Fr. Surprisingly powerful 4 star back with great vision, great fluid cuts(doesn't lose any speed) and good speed & #7 all time HS RB in Texas history out of Frisco, TX Kid is a BEAST!
James Sullivan - 5'11" 193lbs. Sr. Walkon transfer from Fort Hays St. who saw action in 3 games last year out of Colorado Springs, CO
Ryan Schadler - 5'11" 191lbs. Soph. Speedster who also runs hard & played a lot as a true Fr. before taking last year off for medical reasons out of Hesston, KS He's added quite a bit of muscle now.

Deron Thompson - 5'9" 185lbs. Jr. Shifty quick speedster transfer from Colorado St. out of Wichita, KS

That's 9 RB's for this season and that doesn't count any of the big backs/H back types we've got coming in or already on the team. I think 7 of these 9 are legit D-1 RB's too who could make it into the rotation at a lot of places. I also think we've got 2 potential star RB's going into this season.

I like Schadler because of his top end speed and how hard he ran as a true Fr. I also like that he's added a good amount of muscle and strength. I hope Evans shows improvement as he's 1 of our biggest/strongest backs. If our OL can improve at point of attack run blocking, I think Evans could benefit the most out of all of our RB's. I'm really interested to see how Thompson looks during spring ball and going into the fall. I've heard some people describe him as a bigger Tony Pierson (as Dgless21 already alluded to). If he's got that kind of talent he could really supplement the RB rotation in a unique way. I also think Herbert could make a big improvement going into this season. He had some nice runs last year and looked a lot better towards the end of the year than he did earlier on.

The 2 guys who are the wildcards and I think could be star RB's are Dom Williams and Octavius Matthews. Matthews is an electric runner who does just about everything well, including catching passes out of the backfield. He showed an uncanny ability to slip through tight holes in his JUCO videos with real good acceleration through the hole. Williams just looked like an unstoppable monster last year in his Sr. HS season. He effortlessly made powerful full speed cuts leaving guys in the dust or sliding off of him like some rag dolls. He just kept on moving down field gaining yards while fighting off would be tacklers. I don't think KU has had a RB with as much talent coming in as Dom in a couple of decades or more.

Of course, this is all good and great if they live up to their potential. We'll hopefully get to see enough come spring ball from most of these guys to see how well they're doing. Curious about Schadler the most this spring actually and how they line him up as well. Real excited to see who's starting come fall also. I agree this is probably the deepest and with the most quality we've been at RB in a long time now they just have to get out there and prove themselves.

• Guess I don't have to wonder about where they line Schadler up at, as he's now listed at WR.

Edited by Kman_blue (03/13/17 06:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Looks like Sullivan is gone and Schadler now at WR

#2015867 - 03/11/17 03:36 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Nice write up on the RBs Kman. The other RB that I want to see is the walk on from the state of Alabama Kashe Boatner. He is 6'1" 230 and I hope his running style reminds me of Brandon McAnderson. We need a power RB for short yardage, around the goal line and to soften up the opposing LBs and CBs.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/11/17 04:42 PM)

#2015876 - 03/11/17 09:31 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree, out of all of the H Back/FB type guys KU got last year, he certainly seems like maybe the most intriguing. Kid has some good talent and his HS videos were impressive. I believe he also had some full ride offers out there as well as a couple preferred walkon offers from some SEC schools (think 1 was Alabama). Read some quotes from his HS coach in effect saying KU got a steal with him, so that's also encouraging and adds to my interest in him.

I suspect he could turn out to be one of those 2x3 guys that KU has offered lately, where coach Beaty has promised him a scholarship for his final 3 years if he comes and does everything asked of him for his 1st 2 years. I know he had a signing day ceremony at his HS where they said he signed a partial scholarship, but I know football can't give out partials anymore, so not 100% he's a 2x3 guy, just my best guess. He could have received a partial academic scholarship and also been promised the 2x3 deal. No matter how his deal went down. I won't be surprised if he's on a full football scholarship before he's done.

#2015923 - 03/13/17 04:47 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Walk ons have a bad rate of attrition and we both know it.

#2016153 - 03/19/17 01:45 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
True of any program.

#2016158 - 03/19/17 01:54 PM Re: Running Game [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
True of any program.
Then don't rely upon them to be roster filling.

#2016493 - 03/29/17 06:47 PM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

True of any program.
Then don't rely upon them to be roster filling.
As usual, you don't make sense.

#2016497 - 03/30/17 06:53 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Quit stalking my every comment 58. I'll tell your mommy.

#2016708 - 04/07/17 04:39 PM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Channel_Surfer Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: OP Kansas
I think his point was that all football teams have walk ons to bolster their rosters. We have to do this because we're limited by the number of scholly offers we can extend to prospects each year. We're still below NCAA allowed total number due to Chaz Frontbutt's stellar work at turning our team into a 4 alarm dumpster fire.

#2016709 - 04/07/17 04:44 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Channel_Surfer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Channel_Surfer
I think his point was that all football teams have walk ons to bolster their rosters. We have to do this because we're limited by the number of scholly offers we can extend to prospects each year. We're still below NCAA allowed total number due to Chaz Frontbutt's stellar work at turning our team into a 4 alarm dumpster fire.
We aren't that much under anymore so that crutch can be thrown away. Not Chuck's team anymore so quit blaming the dude. AD pulled him off the job WAY to soon.

My opinion is Beaty still needs to show coaching chops.

#2016710 - 04/07/17 05:05 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

What does is take to get to a five alarm dumpster fire?

Walk-ons should have a fairly high attrition rate by comparison. They're higher gambles by nature. If they weren't they'd get a scholarship. If they aren't panning out, why not cut ties?

Plus, unlike the dudes that are getting scholarships and stipend as a reason to stay, walk ons do not. If things start going badly, the free education and stipend do not provide any incentive to stay and fight through it.

#2016714 - 04/08/17 11:04 AM Re: Running Game [Re: Channel_Surfer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You have to explain things to KUCO like a 2 year old...

#2016773 - 04/10/17 03:36 PM Re: Running Game [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

You have to explain things to 58 like a 1 year old...
Channel - I think we are within range of being where other programs are related to roster numbers. Not compared to Alabama, but to other programs that are fairly similar to Kansas. BTW, Wyoming suspended 8 players recently by Coach Bohl. It should affect the roster total numbers but they probably won't see a Kansas type drop off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview