Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015269 - 02/24/17 08:16 AM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: dgless21
4.5 would put us at about the NCAA median (65th) in yards per attempt.

It all goes hand in hand. That would help us (theoretically) get a handful of extra first downs a game. Loosen up the opposing defense. Give our defense a few more minute to rest. Let us have the energy to fly around the ball when we get the D on the field.
Perhaps the better measure is a look at air raid type teams for their running measurements. Not suggesting I have that information but it would be more relevant for Kansas. Overall the question, is a very good one.

#2015285 - 02/24/17 05:43 PM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I am interested to see who Beaty uses to replace Zunica at FB. Maybe thats where they use the walk on Kashe Boatner from Alabama. A good FB would be a big help to our running game. Beaty said Cooper Root could play some at H-back so Root will help with run blocking too.

KU had a better avg rushing yards per attempt than TT but that is not saying much. WashSt and Cal were around 4.5. ISU and OkSt also were around 4.5 and ranked in the mid 60s. At 5 yards per rush we catch Texas and move into the top 40.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/26/17 12:23 AM)

#2015358 - 02/27/17 11:27 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Our yards per carry will rise if DB continues his propensity for running the ball on 3rd and 10! Our HC seems to love the draw play, doesn't care if it works, just likes to run it.

#2015359 - 02/27/17 12:05 PM Re: Running Game [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Our yards per carry will rise if DB continues his propensity for running the ball on 3rd and 10! Our HC seems to love the draw play, doesn't care if it works, just likes to run it.

Cozart and/or Willis forced into a must-pass down seems like a bad strategy for us.

Hopefully an upgrade at QB and OC...and basically another year of experience at every position but RB, FB, and TE should help us out a bit.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015374 - 02/27/17 06:36 PM Re: Running Game [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Cozart and/or Willis forced into a must-pass down seems like a bad strategy for us.

Hopefully an upgrade at QB and OC...and basically another year of experience at every position but RB, FB, and TE should help us out a bit.
The staff turnover isn't helpful. The RB situation is a real problem for 2017 as well. Have to hope this third year of Beaty Ball isn't the final curtain.

#2015393 - 02/28/17 10:59 AM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

The staff turnover isn't helpful. The RB situation is a real problem for 2017 as well. Have to hope this third year of Beaty Ball isn't the final curtain.

Is RB a problem though? You have 4 talented guys that are going to get their fair share of carries. Williams rushed for 8,000 yards in Texas. They have some good teams that he rushed for those yards against. Matthews is the top JUCO RB. Was with Auburn, so he's no scrub. Martin will be back again. Has speed, just doesn't seem to have the vision yet. And Herbert is a damn good player. Would have played more if not for Kinner being really good late.

#2015654 - 03/07/17 11:08 AM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
jayhawk_4_life2 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: one foot in slave state one fo...
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.
That's why I said we won't see much, if at all improvement in 2017 in the running game. We can't expect 3.5 to suddenly become 4.5

Ok I'm not 100% bandwagon that with Meachem we'll "win them all" but I do think it will get us a guy with much better talent solely focusing on offense and not the big picture (meachem vs beaty)...I brag that 4 wins - minor bowl is the goal this year...

KUCO you said "we can't expect 3.5 to SUDDENLY become 4.5" which I understand but early you said "but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly."

So what gives??

#2015659 - 03/07/17 01:42 PM Re: Running Game [Re: jayhawk_4_life2]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: jayhawk_4_life2
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.
That's why I said we won't see much, if at all improvement in 2017 in the running game. We can't expect 3.5 to suddenly become 4.5

Ok I'm not 100% bandwagon that with Meachem we'll "win them all" but I do think it will get us a guy with much better talent solely focusing on offense and not the big picture (meachem vs beaty)...I brag that 4 wins - minor bowl is the goal this year...

KUCO you said "we can't expect 3.5 to SUDDENLY become 4.5" which I understand but early you said "but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly."

So what gives??
We can't pass yet, so running for 4.5 is not realistic. No balance to the roster or coaching. College ball recruiting and staff changes is where "things can change quickly". We've seen that just in this off season. Huge salary swings and some de-commits quickly.

#2015674 - 03/07/17 04:04 PM Re: Running Game [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
For what its worth, you, nor anyone else on this forum, has any clue as to whether or not we can pass yet....to be able to determine whether or not 4.5 is realistic.

That is the beauty about having "potentially" an upgrade at the QB spot, "potentially" an upgraded O-Line, "potentially" an upgraded WR corps, and a "potentially" upgraded play caller at OC.

if Bender is legit, and the 2 Bama transfers fortify an already decent (but young) OL, and an already solid WR corp.....then who's to say that Meacham doesn't come in and make it so we can pass, thus opening up the ground game significantly.

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speak in absolutes is a little silly when there is major change for the better (at face value), at each major part of the passing game.

#2015675 - 03/07/17 04:09 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Phog1004]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Phog1004
For what its worth, you, nor anyone else on this forum, has any clue as to whether or not we can pass yet....to be able to determine whether or not 4.5 is realistic.

That is the beauty about having "potentially" an upgrade at the QB spot, "potentially" an upgraded O-Line, "potentially" an upgraded WR corps, and a "potentially" upgraded play caller at OC.

if Bender is legit, and the 2 Bama transfers fortify an already decent (but young) OL, and an already solid WR corp.....then who's to say that Meacham doesn't come in and make it so we can pass, thus opening up the ground game significantly.

I have no idea one way or the other, but to speak in absolutes is a little silly when there is major change for the better (at face value), at each major part of the passing game.
Original question asked for opinions not absolutes. Absolutely never said I know this future stuff. Hope you are right, but based on history I have my opinion.

If,if,if.

Edited by KUCO_VOC (03/07/17 04:10 PM)

#2015682 - 03/07/17 05:08 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
"We can't pass yet, so running for 4.5 is not realistic..."

sounded like a fairly absolute statement....I must have missed the qualifying "I think...."

My mistake

#2015686 - 03/07/17 06:04 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Not realistic or I think? Same difference in qualifier

#2015687 - 03/07/17 06:35 PM Re: Running Game [Re: Phog1004]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: Phog1004

Bender had some good performance at WashSt and JC that gives me a clue he will be an upgrade over Willis and Cozart. You forgot the "potentially" upgraded S&C coach. We need Beaty, Meacham, Hull and Yenser to figure out how to use the weapons they have at RB. Our coaching and OL need to step up this season if we want to get to 4.5 avg yards per rushing attempt. The potential is there.

Edited by pizzanbeer (03/07/17 06:48 PM)

#2015693 - 03/07/17 09:23 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

4.5 is something I could bet on as I achievable

#2015698 - 03/08/17 08:17 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Bender had some good performance at WashSt and JC that gives me a clue he will be an upgrade over Willis and Cozart. You forgot the "potentially" upgraded S&C coach. We need Beaty, Meacham, Hull and Yenser to figure out how to use the weapons they have at RB. Our coaching and OL need to step up this season if we want to get to 4.5 avg yards per rushing attempt. The potential is there.

We also have #1 JUCO running back who played in the air raid at ICC with Bender. He should be able to catch the ball a bit and help out of the backfield. Dom could help there too--the recruiting sites had him being a potential factor in rushing, receiving, and returning.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more than ~30 receptions by the running backs this year, and it helps the running game as well.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview