Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015189 - 02/21/17 05:54 PM Running Game
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

KU finished ranked #113 for yards per rushing attempt. Considering Beaty hired Meacham, has stability on OL and added Williams and Matthews how much will we improve? At TCU Meacham had his QB run the ball a lot but he won't be able to do that as much at KU.

I think we can improve to somewhere in the mid 90's ranking which is a half yard per attempt better than last season. If we could improve by a full yard per attempt that would get us to the middle ranked around #64. How much do you expect the running game to improve by next season?

#2015190 - 02/21/17 06:28 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
We are a passing offense so probably we will see very little change.

#2015191 - 02/21/17 07:56 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
KU finished ranked #113 for yards per rushing attempt. Considering Beaty hired Meacham, has stability on OL and added Williams and Matthews how much will we improve? At TCU Meacham had his QB run the ball a lot but he won't be able to do that as much at KU.

I think we can improve to somewhere in the mid 90's ranking which is a half yard per attempt better than last season. If we could improve by a full yard per attempt that would get us to the middle ranked around #64. How much do you expect the running game to improve by next season?

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza.
I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.
Even elementary level fans understand that a balanced attack enhances the prospects for success regardless of your intended specialty. Patriots are a good example of a "passing team" that also runs the ball well. Seahawks have been labeled as a running team, but they are actually a big play type offense using the run to set up the big pass play and the pass to spring big runs.
I anticipate our improved Jayhawk offensive line will make a noticeably big difference for our running game and expect we will see better success not only at running the ball but for our entire offense.
This year things are going to be different for Jayhawk footballers!

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015208 - 02/22/17 01:21 PM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza.
I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.
Even elementary level fans understand that a balanced attack enhances the prospects for success regardless of your intended specialty. Patriots are a good example of a "passing team" that also runs the ball well. Seahawks have been labeled as a running team, but they are actually a big play type offense using the run to set up the big pass play and the pass to spring big runs.
I anticipate our improved Jayhawk offensive line will make a noticeably big difference for our running game and expect we will see better success not only at running the ball but for our entire offense.
This year things are going to be different for Jayhawk footballers!
Patriots and Seahawks? Hell, the Browns would destroy most of the BIG 12, but even this elementary level fan realizes we are talking about college ball where things change quickly. The question was how will the running game do in 2017 for Kansas. Since we emphasize passing, the running probably won't improve much, if at all. Obviously.

#2015238 - 02/23/17 08:11 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
TCU did have 195 rushing yards/game. Granted they had Hill at QB that picked up his fair share of rushing yards, but still almost 200 per game on the ground isn't bad.. But TCU was always deep at running back. KU is now sneaky deep at RB. Martin, Matthews, Williams are all pretty darn good players.

Meacham is an old OL coach, so he likes to run the ball. All former OL do. My high school coach was a college OL and I think we had a 90/10 run to pass ratio. Or so it seemed. All former OL want to run the ball. I doubt Meacham is any different.

#2015258 - 02/23/17 02:38 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
TCU did have 195 rushing yards/game. Granted they had Hill at QB that picked up his fair share of rushing yards, but still almost 200 per game on the ground isn't bad.. But TCU was always deep at running back. KU is now sneaky deep at RB. Martin, Matthews, Williams are all pretty darn good players.

Meacham is an old OL coach, so he likes to run the ball. All former OL do. My high school coach was a college OL and I think we had a 90/10 run to pass ratio. Or so it seemed. All former OL want to run the ball. I doubt Meacham is any different.
If Meacham since 2014 is analyzed, the ratio of pass to run is 50/50%. Kansas needs to run and pass about 200 more attempts to be the equal of TCU. Was looking at 2014-present stats. More offensive plays as a running / passing QB would solve that.

Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary.

#2015259 - 02/23/17 06:21 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary."

EVERYONE can clearly see in my post I emphasised the value of a balanced attack, while YOU KOOK said "we are a passing offense" which will likely experience little improvement in the running game.

Kook, you are a complete and utter waste of our time and virtual space.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015260 - 02/23/17 07:30 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
The problem was we couldn't consistently win on first down making it difficult to run on second down or struggle with a potential third and long.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015261 - 02/23/17 07:51 PM Re: Running Game [Re: kylecof11]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: kylecof11

Hills rushing stats at QB were similar to Kinners stats. Meacham used the QB on a lot of running plays last season. Now he has a variety of RBs to use but no QBs. I want to see more traps and counter plays next season. I hope Beaty uses his new S&C coach Woodfin to keep the OL mobile for when they need to pull for blocks. I also want to see how Beaty uses the H-back as an extra blocker for running plays. The Woodfin hire has me bumping up my expectation for average rushing yards per play to 4.5.

You would think Meacham would favor running plays but TCU ran a balanced offense last season. Patterson was critical of the running game at TCU so Meacham needs to get back to his OL roots. Beaty has built a good group of coaches to help Meacham figure it out so I expect a big improvement.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/23/17 08:10 PM)

#2015262 - 02/23/17 08:07 PM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I harbor higher expectation for this coming year than you do, pizza. I think the addition of an offensive coordinator will make a positive difference for our offensive efficiency. In addition we have some serious players coming into the mix this season that I feel will make significant impact (the 2 guys from Bama, for example). Add to that better quality depth at QB and potentially improved talent at RB spurs my hopes in that regard. I also expect to see improve competitiveness in all phases, defense, special teams (KICKER!) as well as offense.

I agree that more success from our passing game helps our running game. ESPN shows KU averaged 3.5 yards per rushing attempt last season. How much better do you think our average yards per rush attempt will be next season?

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/23/17 08:08 PM)

#2015263 - 02/23/17 08:10 PM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I agree that more success from our passing game helps our running game. ESPN shows KU averaged 3.5 yards per rushing attempt last season. How much better do you think our average yards per rush attempt will be next season?

We need it to be closer to 4.5 per carry.

#2015265 - 02/24/17 12:34 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2015266 - 02/24/17 08:00 AM Re: Running Game [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

4.5 would put us at about the NCAA median (65th) in yards per attempt.

It all goes hand in hand. That would help us (theoretically) get a handful of extra first downs a game. Loosen up the opposing defense. Give our defense a few more minute to rest. Let us have the energy to fly around the ball when we get the D on the field.

#2015267 - 02/24/17 08:08 AM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Btw we had a balanced offense last year, the poster that said we needed more balance doesn't have a clue. It's elementary."

EVERYONE can clearly see in my post I emphasised the value of a balanced attack, while YOU KOOK said "we are a passing offense" which will likely experience little improvement in the running game.

Kook, you are a complete and utter waste of our time and virtual space.
As it relates to TCU, we provided less balance (attempts per game) than a successful TCU offense. Consistently. You implied that we needed balance when we already have balance overall, need more plays ran on offense by about 200 times split evenly in 2017 to compare to TCU.

Your rah rah crap wasn't articulating that fact so I put it out there. Without being condescending...

Edited by KUCO_VOC (02/24/17 08:18 AM)

#2015268 - 02/24/17 08:12 AM Re: Running Game [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

4.5 is a very strong number. Do that and we immediately become competitive in every game and winning most of them. If you can average that kind of running yardage you should be producing receivers with space and nice catch stats.
Tough for anyone to beat a team that can run for 4 per. You either turn them over or lose.
That's why I said we won't see much, if at all improvement in 2017 in the running game. We can't expect 3.5 to suddenly become 4.5

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview