Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2015049 - 02/16/17 09:26 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Beaty has hired more than one putz over three years IMO but we continue to give Beaty his credit for trying. Did not see any negativity about Williams so far in this topic.

#2015074 - 02/17/17 11:25 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: kylecof11]
Phog1004 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KC
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Originally Posted By: Josh2408
This hiring opens up even more territory for us to recruit in sweet. New Mexico, Colorado and Ohio have good talent

Don't know how sarcastic this is. But the state of Ohio actually does have really good talent in the HS ranks.

This is spot on. I know he probably didn't many if any of these elite kids to go to Ohio, as Ohio is crazy hard to recruit to with Ohio State right next door, along with every other major School coming knocking....But the sheer number of 4 and 5 stars coming out of Ohio every year really surprised me.

Knowing that Kansas Sux for recruiting, I just took a quick look, and they average maybe 3-5 4star or better each year.....and 90%+ of those are out of the JUCO ranks in the Jayhawk conference.

Ohio has had the below come out of HS over the past few years (stopped at last decade)...

2018 has (and still counting I'm sure) - 1 five star and 11 four stars
2017 had - 14 four stars
2016 had - 14 four stars
2015 had - 15 four stars
2014 had - 19 four stars
2013 had - 19 four stars
2012 had - 2 Five stars and 18 four stars
2011 had - 16 four stars
2010 had - 3 Five stars and 11 four stars
2009 had - 16 four stars

So after blowing the state of Kansas out of the water (which I knew it would), I checked Louisiana simply because that has been our most recent area of success. Ohio even beats that state by quite a wide margin (159 four of five stars in Oh compared to 135 in La, although they had more total 5 stars). Even if you can get in the door with some of these kids and have conversations with their parents, I think that would be a good thing.

#2015075 - 02/17/17 12:02 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: KUCO_VOC]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Beaty has hired more than one putz over three years IMO but we continue to give Beaty his credit for trying. Did not see any negativity about Williams so far in this topic.

Name the putz hires.

#2015078 - 02/17/17 12:50 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Name the putz hires.

I wasn't a huge Gary Hyman fan, but that's only one...not more than one. He was fired as soon as we could fire him though.

Kubiak, Thibs, Mitchell, Phillips, Likens, Slater, and Jackson all seemed to be decent coaches IMO.

Kubiak was young but very likable and knowledgable in every interaction I read or saw...he'd be next on my list if we're ranking them. I'd need a lot more information before considering him a putz.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015079 - 02/17/17 01:00 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Not near a large monitor but I believe the original special teams guy is my top putz. In the first season. Name escapes me but I can look it up later.

I agree on Kubiak as a putz while here due to lack of WR impressive stats alone.

#2015086 - 02/17/17 03:01 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'd say the only putz hire that we really had was Hyman. He was not good, but I believe his enthusiasm was needed for this program. But he sucked at the X's and O's of the job.

Kubiak I think was pretty good. Booker and Patrick had decent years in 2015. Can't really compare them to last year because Quiv is better than both and Sims wasn't quite there and ready to contribute on an every down basis like he did in 2016.

I think Slater was just average, but the talent on the DLine is the best it's been in years, so the production would have gone up regardless of who was coaching.

The most underrated hire of the staff by far has been Yenser. He was kind of a package guy with Likens. But the dude is taking true freshmen and making them seem like decent players. That just doesn't happen. The OLine will be exponentially better this year and the years following due to his trust in playing true frosh.

#2015087 - 02/17/17 03:34 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Goldenberg to Indiana State shortly after Hyman went there didn't help my opinion of Hyman.

Kubiak wasn't in the college game long enough to really say how good or bad he was.

I liked Slater as a coach, but he seemed to be overwhelmed in recruiting.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015090 - 02/17/17 05:54 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: Phog1004]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: Phog1004
Originally Posted By: Josh2408
This hiring opens up even more territory for us to recruit in sweet. New Mexico, Colorado and Ohio have good talent

Don't know how sarcastic this is. But the state of Ohio actually does have really good talent in the HS ranks.

This is spot on. I know he probably didn't many if any of these elite kids to go to Ohio, as Ohio is crazy hard to recruit to with Ohio State right next door, along with every other major School coming knocking....But the sheer number of 4 and 5 stars coming out of Ohio every year really surprised me.

Knowing that Kansas Sux for recruiting, I just took a quick look, and they average maybe 3-5 4star or better each year.....and 90%+ of those are out of the JUCO ranks in the Jayhawk conference.

Ohio has had the below come out of HS over the past few years (stopped at last decade)...

2018 has (and still counting I'm sure) - 1 five star and 11 four stars
2017 had - 14 four stars
2016 had - 14 four stars
2015 had - 15 four stars
2014 had - 19 four stars
2013 had - 19 four stars
2012 had - 2 Five stars and 18 four stars
2011 had - 16 four stars
2010 had - 3 Five stars and 11 four stars
2009 had - 16 four stars

So after blowing the state of Kansas out of the water (which I knew it would), I checked Louisiana simply because that has been our most recent area of success. Ohio even beats that state by quite a wide margin (159 four of five stars in Oh compared to 135 in La, although they had more total 5 stars). Even if you can get in the door with some of these kids and have conversations with their parents, I think that would be a good thing.
Anyone from a Frank Solich pedigree is going to be pretty good. No its not P5 but the MAC holds its own with an abundance of talent throughout the midwest.

#2015091 - 02/17/17 06:54 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

MAC conf wins 2 loses 7 historically against BIG 12. You are talking Gameball style wins vs losses. Not good for KU. SOlich was bounced out of the BIG 12 at Nebraska so...

#2015092 - 02/17/17 07:00 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The most underrated hire of the staff by far has been Yenser. He was kind of a package guy with Likens. But the dude is taking true freshmen and making them seem like decent players. That just doesn't happen. The OLine will be exponentially better this year and the years following due to his trust in playing true frosh.
Yeah, I think coach Yenser has done a really good job considering just how young, inexperienced, and extremely thin we were at OL when he came in.

Those Freshman have played alright for the most part, but he also got really lucky with Adeniji, who wasn't your typical true Freshman thrown out there because we had to. I think Adeniji would have been playing as a true Fr. at a lot of schools and he's gonna make it to the NFL. Kid is a freak athlete.

Oh, and coach Yenser can recruit well too.

#2015093 - 02/17/17 07:11 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

MAC conf wins 2 loses 7 historically against BIG 12. You are talking Gameball style wins vs losses. Not good for KU. SOlich was bounced out of the BIG 12 at Nebraska so...
So...what?

Solich also coached Nebraska to a better record and higher winning % than any coach they've had since him. He also coached them to their last conference championship. He's also their 4th winningest coach in their history out of coaches who coached there more than 1 year.

He was bounced because corn fans are delusional F-tards who thought he should be coaching them to conference and national championships, and 11 win or better seasons every single year.

They were spoiled rotten by hitting the coaching jackpot twice in a row in Devaney and Osborne.

Solich is a solid FB coach and has proven so everywhere he's been.

#2015094 - 02/17/17 07:31 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

58 said anyone with a FS pedigree is pretty good. Just pointing out MAC level wins losses vs the BIG 12 won't cut it for our conference. Williams will have to step it up. Your on field SOlich is conflicting with his off field disappointment, right?

#2015096 - 02/17/17 07:46 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Solich hire solid coaches to coach with him. He's won at the Big 12 P-5 level as well as at the MAC level. He knows how to coach and who can versus who can't coach.

Also, have heard at least 2 other P-5 programs were trying to hire Williams away from going to KU at the last minute, so there must be some other current P-5 HC's out there who also think he'd be a good hire.

#2015097 - 02/17/17 08:15 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Solich hire solid coaches to coach with him. He's won at the Big 12 P-5 level as well as at the MAC level. He knows how to coach and who can versus who can't coach.

Also, have heard at least 2 other P-5 programs were trying to hire Williams away from going to KU at the last minute, so there must be some other current P-5 HC's out there who also think he'd be a good hire.
My whole point, which wasn't to say Solich sucks, was that it's time for Williams to step up his game to P-5 level. Couple posters on here think we can win with coaching that mirrors MAC level. Historically that is incorrect if you look MAC 17 wins versus 69 losses when playing BIG 12 level competition. Or close to those numbers dgless.

#2015098 - 02/17/17 08:40 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Name the putz hires.
Joe DeForest is/was a putz

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview