Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2014964 - 02/15/17 07:07 PM New DL Coach Jesse Williams
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Slant just reported that Jesse Williams is the new DL coach. He was the DL coach at Ohio and their defense was ranked 5th for rushing defense and 12th for sacks. Williams has a lot of experience and hopefully he will be great at recruiting.

#2014965 - 02/15/17 07:21 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
He better be good at recruiting, as we've got some really good HS DL's looking at KU right now and one really good one already committed!

Don't really know much about him or heard anything much from people I know, but on the surface he looks like a good hire.

#2014966 - 02/15/17 07:23 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
He is thinking KU is a step up from Ohio. Good for him!
Positives:
Assistant Coach for Sonny Lubick CSU
Not a 20 year career as a HS HC.

#2014976 - 02/15/17 09:33 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

One of my concerns about the last recruiting class was that Slater was from Houston but we didn't have any HS DL commits from Houston. I don't remember reading about HS DL players from Houston even coming to KU on recruiting visits. Meanwhile Hull was recruiting a lot of talented players from Louisiana to KU.

Williams also has coached at New Mexico State and Colorado State. Hopefully he still has some recruiting connections out there that will help him bring in some good players on DL.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/15/17 09:52 PM)

#2015005 - 02/16/17 01:37 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

This hiring opens up even more territory for us to recruit in sweet. New Mexico, Colorado and Ohio have good talent

#2015009 - 02/16/17 08:02 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: Josh2408]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Josh2408
This hiring opens up even more territory for us to recruit in sweet. New Mexico, Colorado and Ohio have good talent

Don't know how sarcastic this is. But the state of Ohio actually does have really good talent in the HS ranks.

#2015011 - 02/16/17 08:06 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
I don't know about New Mexico, but Colorado has had some decent years with Valor and the McCaffery brothers leading the way lately.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2015012 - 02/16/17 08:12 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Originally Posted By: Josh2408

Don't know how sarcastic this is. But the state of Ohio actually does have really good talent in the HS ranks.
Note: Ohio U ranked 117th in natl composite recruiting ranking on 247 for 2016. They haven't been lights out in terms of recruiting there in general. His expertise lies in conferences lesser than BG12 player level. He will have to step up his game now.

#2015020 - 02/16/17 10:54 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
carp Offline
Baby Jay

I believe Jesse Williams is a good hire as a defense of line coach. But I believe coach Beaty dropped the ball when he did not sign Nathon Rourke a freshman from Fort Scott community college who was first team Qb and runner up offensive player of the year in the Jayhawk conference who is heading to Ohio University where coach Williams came from. I saw in the Lawrence Journal that Kale Pick head football coach and office coordinator at Fort Scott Community College tried to get KU to recruit Rourke(saw in the article they described him as a Todd Reesing type quarterback but is 6 foot 3 and weighs 210 pounds, his youtube video was tremendous). I heard Rourke is a 4.0 student and scored a 29 on his ACT and a relentless worker. Nobody knew about him because he was from Ontario Canada. Kale Pick runs the air raid offense which he learned from Texas A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital when he was a graduate assistant at Texas A&M which also would've been a good fit for Rourke at KU. We would've had Rourke for 3 years instead of 2 which is what we are getting from the player from California Junior college. Did the QB we got from California Junior college have to transfer from Washington State because of grades or did he just want to transfer from Washington State ? I hope this decision not to recruit Rourke does not haunt us when we play the Ohio Bobcats next fall.

#2015021 - 02/16/17 11:15 AM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Sounds like Mr Slater ended up at Arizona State with Likens.

#2015026 - 02/16/17 12:52 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: carp]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: carp
I believe Jesse Williams is a good hire as a defense of line coach. But I believe coach Beaty dropped the ball when he did not sign Nathon Rourke a freshman from Fort Scott community college who was first team Qb and runner up offensive player of the year in the Jayhawk conference who is heading to Ohio University where coach Williams came from. I saw in the Lawrence Journal that Kale Pick head football coach and office coordinator at Fort Scott Community College tried to get KU to recruit Rourke(saw in the article they described him as a Todd Reesing type quarterback but is 6 foot 3 and weighs 210 pounds, his youtube video was tremendous). I heard Rourke is a 4.0 student and scored a 29 on his ACT and a relentless worker. Nobody knew about him because he was from Ontario Canada. Kale Pick runs the air raid offense which he learned from Texas A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital when he was a graduate assistant at Texas A&M which also would've been a good fit for Rourke at KU. We would've had Rourke for 3 years instead of 2 which is what we are getting from the player from California Junior college. Did the QB we got from California Junior college have to transfer from Washington State because of grades or did he just want to transfer from Washington State ? I hope this decision not to recruit Rourke does not haunt us when we play the Ohio Bobcats next fall.

Man this is so difficult to read. Give us some paragraphs or something. It's tough to follow your points, considering everything runs together.

I watched his Hudl video just now. Kid looks good. Wonder how well that stuff would work on Div 1 level. KU is fairly set at the QB position for the next few years. Bender/Stanley and then Starks and Cozart.

#2015027 - 02/16/17 01:13 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Basically we missed on Rourke. He's at Ohio now.

Rourke has three years to play. He was just under-recruited being from Canada.

#2015029 - 02/16/17 02:16 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: carp]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: carp

This thread is about the new DL coach. You should start a new topic if you want to discuss recruiting JC QBs.

#2015046 - 02/16/17 07:14 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Kyle I wasn't be sarcastic at all

#2015048 - 02/16/17 08:15 PM Re: New DL Coach Jesse Williams [Re: pizzanbeer]
HawksFB Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Not every assistant should be a recruiting guru. It seems Beaty chose a coach that knows the position well and is still moving up the ladder (as opposed to down.) Who knows how these dots connected, but atleast give Beaty some credit. So far, he has really only hired one putz and demoted him after one season. Most other staffers moved on to better opportunities or are still here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview