Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2014626 - 02/10/17 08:20 AM Starting Defensive Backfield 2017
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Our biggest question mark going into the 2017 season. If we are to win more games, we need to find some guys who can cover. Mike Lee is an obvious answer at safety. And you would think Torneden will be ready to step into the role Tevin Shaw played the last couple years. That leaves both corners and another safety spot. Who do you think are the favorites for those positions? The new Juco guys? Or some of the younger corners we have one the team? Is Tyrone Miller going to make a comeback?

#2014627 - 02/10/17 09:06 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
My guess:

CB1: Defense, Taylor
CB2: Mayberry, Neal
NB: Tornedon, Ayinde?
SS: Cole, Miller
FS: Lee, Richmond

Wouldn't be surprised to see Antonio Cole at any position, honestly. He was recruited for his versatility. I also have a hard time putting him as a starter since he won't be here til summer.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2014631 - 02/10/17 09:18 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Hot_Toddy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

I've always heard Tyrone Miller's natural position was more safety so I would think they keep him there.

And although there's not a ton of experience at CB for us, I do think we have some quality depth at the position for the first time in a while and eventually 2-3 guys would emerge from the group of Kyle Mayberry, Shola Ayinde, Derrick Neal, Ian Peterson, Justin Williams, Antonio Cole, Robert Topps, Shakial Taylor, Hasan Defense. Clint Bowen loves playing tall guys at Corner so if he can adjust to the college game, I think true freshman Robert Topps plays early and often.

I also believe WR Emmanuel Moore is being converted to a defensive back. Not sure if he'll play Safety or CB. We should know more come Spring ball.

#2014637 - 02/10/17 09:32 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
CB is going to take preseason to settle who plays the most minutes as on field performances are few and far between with the current candidates for 2017.

#2014638 - 02/10/17 09:32 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: dgless21]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
My guess:

CB1: Defense, Taylor
CB2: Mayberry, Neal
NB: Tornedon, Ayinde?
SS: Cole, Miller
FS: Lee, Richmond

Wouldn't be surprised to see Antonio Cole at any position, honestly. He was recruited for his versatility. I also have a hard time putting him as a starter since he won't be here til summer.

This is my guess as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Miller win the job at SS. That dude can hit and make plays, just had to play behind Fish last year.

I do think Torneden is going to be a baller at some point. Good speed, athleticism and decent size to play the run when needed. That second level of defense is going to be very local. Dineen, Loneker, and Torneden.

Speaking of Dineen, I am excited to see that he got his medical RS, so he's still got 2 years. Dude is a damn stud. Very Heeney-ish.

#2014639 - 02/10/17 09:36 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Glad for Dineen and his brother coming on the roster. They aren't as athletic as some brothers we've had (Riggins) but are enthusiastic as hell.

#2014650 - 02/10/17 11:43 AM Re: Starting Defensive Backfield 2017 [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
This is my guess as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Miller win the job at SS. That dude can hit and make plays, just had to play behind Fish last year.

I agree. Miller could easily win a starting spot, IMO. He was decent as a true freshman at CB. My biggest reason for putting Cole there was his (reported) tackling ability--and a Fish replacement is going to need to be able to tackle. Not sure if Richmond could get into the battle at SS with Lee locking down FS.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

Preview