Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2014205 - 02/02/17 02:54 PM O-Line
jayhawk02 Offline
Baby Jay

I am very excited with the new recruits being signed. My question, to some of you with more knowledge, is what will our O-line look like next year?

#2014206 - 02/02/17 03:15 PM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

LT- Adeniji
LG- Rhodes
C- Gibson
RG- Ribordy
RT- Baldwin

#2014209 - 02/02/17 03:38 PM Re: O-Line [Re: EstebanBugatti]
jayhawk02 Offline
Baby Jay

Thanks, but I guess I should've clarified myself............how much confidence do you have in our O-line next season? I know they should be improved, but will we be able to run more consistently?

#2014210 - 02/02/17 03:51 PM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I think so. I believe KU will have 3 or so All-conference type guys on our starting OL next year. 2(both OT) are probably competing to be 1st team All-conference.

KU also returns virtually everybody and most everybody is still a Sophomore or younger, but they've got at least 1 year of playing experience now. We've got good quality depth and a lot of options on the 3 deep now, which we haven't really had in 10 years or more. All of that, I think bodes well for our OL this season.

It doesn't hurt that we've brought in 2 stud RB's in Dom Williams and Octavius Matthews (might be more of a motion/slot guy in the end though) to add to the running game and the guys returning. Our run game should take a dramatic step forward this year IMHO.

#2014211 - 02/02/17 03:53 PM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Yes I would think that they won't have many issues up front if all remain healthy. The group is still fairly young, and all really big dudes who played better as the year went along. They were rough in those early games. I would imagine Baldwin will help at RT, but haven't watched him live play except to see that he is big and from practice clips here and there he has always done a great job.

#2014213 - 02/02/17 04:32 PM Re: O-Line [Re: EstebanBugatti]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
LT- Adeniji
LG- Rhodes
C- Gibson
RG- Ribordy
RT- Baldwin

I think Adeniji and Baldwin are locked in. I think Ribordy is too, but I think he ends up at center with Hughes at one of the guards (this is what we were using on the depth chart for the last few games).

Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Bragg or Malik Clark beat out Rhodes for the other guard with another year of working, too.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2014214 - 02/02/17 04:50 PM Re: O-Line [Re: dgless21]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Originally Posted By: dgless21
LT- Adeniji
LG- Rhodes
C- Gibson
RG- Ribordy
RT- Baldwin

I think Adeniji and Baldwin are locked in. I think Ribordy is too, but I think he ends up at center with Hughes at one of the guards (this is what we were using on the depth chart for the last few games).

Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Bragg or Malik Clark beat out Rhodes for the other guard with another year of working, too.

Pretty sure Gibson was injured and that is why Ribordy was starting at Center.

#2014216 - 02/02/17 05:01 PM Re: O-Line [Re: EstebanBugatti]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Pretty sure Gibson was injured and that is why Ribordy was starting at Center.

True.

Either way, we are as stacked as we've been in a long time on the OL.

Would love to see Ribordy, Hughes, Adeniji, and Clark make huge strides this offseason. Or just let all of them become crazy good.

#2014217 - 02/02/17 05:13 PM Re: O-Line [Re: dgless21]
SPHawks Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: KS
Not to change the subject at all, but as were talking about how the line will do, what about the jam in the backfield? A great issue to have, but how will they manage Martin, Evans, Williams, Herbert, and Mathews all getting touches? I know they've mentioned being able to split out Mathews, was just curious about everyones thoughts.

#2014219 - 02/02/17 05:37 PM Re: O-Line [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

On the upside we will be better because we return almost all OL players and we add Baldwin. On the downside we only add 1 OL recruit Gilbertson because I think Bostick plays DE. When I looked at stats for the last 2 seasons our OL improved at not allowing as many sacks so that improvement should continue. However on rushing yardage we did not improve much over the last 2 seasons and ranked towards the bottom both seasons. Matthews and Williams will help but I don't know by how much if the OL cannot open holes for them.

The next question is can Meacham as OC improve our rushing stats? Meacham played on OL at OkSU so even though he coaches WRs he may add a few pointers for the OL. On the other hand at TCU Patterson criticized Meachams offense last season because they struggled to run the football. Meacham, Yenser and Hull need to figure out how to improve the OL run blocking and get creative on running plays since they are adding more fire power in Williams and Matthews.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/02/17 07:10 PM)

#2014233 - 02/02/17 09:29 PM Re: O-Line [Re: SPHawks]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
There are a lot of guys with some experience on the OL, they just need to keep getting better and stronger. I would expect guys like Hughes, McCauley, Bragg, Clark and Durley to continue to push for snaps. These are all guys that are young enough to make big jumps.

As for a jam in the backfield, this is what a roster that is nearing its number of maximum scholarships looks like, and its good. The roster is getting better. There are some balance issues by position. I'm critical of the big number of WRs and shortage of DL, but interior DL is a premium for just about everyone right now. I think it was 1992 when Gilbert Brown, Chris Maumalanga, and Dana Stubblefield were rotating in the middle for KU. Everyone wishes they had a rotation like that today.

#2014234 - 02/03/17 07:47 AM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I feel like our roster is about as competitively deep as it has been in a long time.

We have maybe 8 players that I'd consider locked in as the starter. (Lee, Dorance, Wise, Sims, Adeniji, Baldwin, and Charlot).

Beyond that, we have some sort of battle at every other position.

#2014250 - 02/03/17 12:33 PM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Hard to say Baldwin and Charlot are locks to start when we haven't seen them play in a Jayhawk uniform. Maybe after the spring game we will know more.

#2014254 - 02/03/17 01:15 PM Re: O-Line [Re: jayhawk02]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I absolutely agree. I just have listened to Beaty and Yenser talk about Baldwin and Charlot.

I just don't see us leaving them out of the starting lineup. By no means do I guarantee it, but as my post says, I would definitely consider them to be locks in the lineup.

Feel free to make me eat crow on it in seven months.

#2014591 - 02/09/17 03:29 PM Re: O-Line [Re: EstebanBugatti]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
LT- Adeniji
LG- Rhodes
C- Gibson
RG- Ribordy
RT- Baldwin

Dam, that line up makes me smile. Someone like Hughes would've been our starting LT in years past.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk,, Beat Mizzou

Preview