Page 84 of 94 < 1 2 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 93 94 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2024420 - 12/04/17 09:52 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! *** [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jman1
Lot(almost ALL) of those targets just didn't seem to pan out for some God awful reason. I'm stupified by that.
Every school throws out a lot more offers than they ultimately accept. It's also unusual for most schools to get more than a couple of the guys they initially offer.

So, it's not unusual that most of those initial guys aren't committed to KU, but 2 of them are and KU is still in on 1 more of them. As Schmuck34 points out, several of those guys have potential qualifying issues that weren't there when KU initially offered them.

I know it's easy to slam everything and anything the coaches and especially coach Beaty is doing or isn't doing, but recruiting is and always will be an inexact science where things are constantly changing from week to week and sometimes even day to day. That makes it not surprising that most of the very first guys KU offered aren't committed to us. Happens every year with every coach I've followed KU recruiting under as well as at most every school every year.

#2024421 - 12/04/17 10:00 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: Jman1
Lot(almost ALL) of those targets just didn't seem to pan out for some God awful reason. I'm stupified by that.
Every school throws out a lot more offers than they ultimately accept. It's also unusual for most schools to get more than a couple of the guys they initially offer.

So, it's not unusual that most of those initial guys aren't committed to KU, but 2 of them are and KU is still in on 1 more of them. As Schmuck34 points out, several of those guys have potential qualifying issues that weren't there when KU initially offered them.

I know it's easy to slam everything and anything the coaches and especially coach Beaty is doing or isn't doing, but recruiting is and always will be an inexact science where things are constantly changing from week to week and sometimes even day to day. That makes it not surprising that most of the very first guys KU offered aren't committed to us. Happens every year with every coach I've followed KU recruiting under as well as at most every school every year.
With the constant drumbeat of not having enough roster numbers and potential of playing right away, the fact that Beaty can't get these guys IS stupefying as jman posts.

#2024430 - 12/05/17 07:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
With the constant drumbeat of not having enough roster numbers and potential of playing right away, the fact that Beaty can't get these guys IS stupefying as jman posts.
No, it's normal.

By your logic, all of the worst teams with immediate playing time available should get virtually everyone they offer. They don't. Just like 99% of the teams out there they only get a small portion of the guys they make offers to.

If you want to just keep blasting away at everything and anything KU football or coach Beaty related, go ahead, but this isn't something unique to him or KU football and hence not worthy of signaling out as a sign of something. Because it's not.

As this class comes together, I think there are going to be a few other things to legitimately criticize this class and coach Beaty about, but not this one.

#2024433 - 12/05/17 08:01 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

No, it's normal.

By your logic, all of the worst teams with immediate playing time available should get virtually everyone they offer. They don't. Just like 99% of the teams out there they only get a small portion of the guys they make offers to.

If you want to just keep blasting away at everything and anything KU football or coach Beaty related, go ahead, but this isn't something unique to him or KU football and hence not worthy of signaling out as a sign of something. Because it's not.

As this class comes together, I think there are going to be a few other things to legitimately criticize this class and coach Beaty about, but not this one.
If Beaty recruited, and coached up ALL teams, you are correct. But we are talking only about Kansas football and why we struggle to get commits to go on the field here. The common thread is Beaty can't recruit them, can't coach them, and can't select others on his staff to do the same. Jman brought up a perfect fact that shows the futility.

#2024434 - 12/05/17 08:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
No, it's normal.

I for one will not criticize Beaty for offering schollies, that's a moronic argument. Shoot, Gameball wouldn't even send a postcard or say hello to 80% of the kids we needed. It would be nice though to land one or two of the prime targets from time to time.

#2024437 - 12/05/17 09:21 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

If Beaty recruited, and coached up ALL teams, you are correct. But we are talking only about Kansas football and why we struggle to get commits to go on the field here. The common thread is Beaty can't recruit them, can't coach them, and can't select others on his staff to do the same. Jman brought up a perfect fact that shows the futility.
You're wrong.

Virtually no coach and no team gets most or even a good portion of their first initial offers for a whole lot of reasons(from both sides, the recruit's and the school's). This is not specific to Beaty or KU. Using this common fact of D-1 football recruiting to try and say Beaty can't recruit is an extremely stupid tactic and about the weakest thing you could pick to use for that argument. It's just dumb, as virtually every D-1 coach in America has the same exact situation.

#2024438 - 12/05/17 09:36 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
I for one will not criticize Beaty for offering schollies, that's a moronic argument. Shoot, Gameball wouldn't even send a postcard or say hello to 80% of the kids we needed. It would be nice though to land one or two of the prime targets from time to time.
If there was even a slight rumor another school had any interest in or was about to offer a regional/local recruit Gameball would immediately mark that guy off the list and avoid recruiting him st all costs. He recruited like he was scared of any potential competition at all and immediately threw in the towel if he thought there would be any for a recruit. It was bizarre.

I'd like us to land as many prime targets as we can and I think we've currently got several verbally committed still, including 2 off my initial post. Hopefully we get them all signed and add a few more.

And on a side note, just because a guy is an early offer doesn't necessarily mean he's still a potential prime target later in the year. A lot changes in that time to shift a lot of guys around on how much of a prime target they are.

#2024439 - 12/05/17 09:59 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
So Kman, KU is at 13 scholarships right now. That includes Devonta Jason who I am not going to say is not going to sign with KU, but it does sound wide open between KU, LSU and now Florida. With that in mind is what does the pipeline look like for signing more recruits. Is there some strong possibilities out there? What who are they and what are their positions? Or does it look like things are drying up and the possibility of coming up short of the 20 scholarship target a real possibility?

#2024440 - 12/05/17 10:30 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

You're wrong.

Virtually no coach and no team gets most or even a good portion of their first initial offers for a whole lot of reasons(from both sides, the recruit's and the school's). This is not specific to Beaty or KU. Using this common fact of D-1 football recruiting to try and say Beaty can't recruit is an extremely stupid tactic and about the weakest thing you could pick to use for that argument. It's just dumb, as virtually every D-1 coach in America has the same exact situation.
I have mentioned other factors, including the # of transfers/jucos, and low rankings on 247 (in the 80's!) to make the argument that Beaty can't recruit well enough for BG12 standards. Jman facts are his to complement the fact Beaty can't recruit 4 year guys any better than a D2 level team in his three years, now fourth.

#2024448 - 12/05/17 12:33 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
So Kman, KU is at 13 scholarships right now. That includes Devonta Jason who I am not going to say is not going to sign with KU, but it does sound wide open between KU, LSU and now Florida. With that in mind is what does the pipeline look like for signing more recruits. Is there some strong possibilities out there? What who are they and what are their positions? Or does it look like things are drying up and the possibility of coming up short of the 20 scholarship target a real possibility?
Don't see much chance of that happening.

Still a lot of schools coming hard after Jason, Pooka Williams, and Harris, but I think KU is in the driver seat for all 3. All 3, along with quite a few others are coming up for their official visits this coming weekend. This coming weekend is going to be the big one and where I think we'll pick up most of our remaining open spots.

Several of our already committed guys will be visiting along with about a dozen other guys. Heard we officially offered a couple JUCO QB's within the past week and one, Lindsey Scott, will be here taking his visit with the group. He just lead East Mississippi C.C. to the JUCO National Championship and was originally at LSU. He's a 3x3 guy too, so he doesn't have a redshirt to give, but does have all but 1 year of his eligibility left. I think there's also going to be a group of guys from Arizona Western visiting which includes Azur Kamara a DE with a ton of offers who's very talented and would probably start for us right away next year. I believe KU is his last official visit as well. Heard there's also going to be a couple of HS OT's on their officials too. I think it will be a mix of HS and JUCO guys totaling about 12 to 15 or so.

Don't think LSU is really in the running for Jason anymore after they snubbed him last week for his scheduled official visit in favor of a couple other WR targets of theirs. I think they may have thought their chances with him were worse than with the other 2 guys and that's why they did what they did. Not because they don't or didn't want him.

The only reason why Florida is on Jason's list now is because of their new head coach who was the guy recruiting him to Miss. St. before. I think this is where the real competition is for him. If Harris and Jason still want to play on the same team, as they've stated before, then KU has the advantage over Florida as Harris doesn't have an offer from them. Still think his relationships with coach Hull and Mike Lee also give KU an edge here too.

Highly touted recruits like these guys are virtually always a battle to the last minute though, so who knows for sure. KU isn't usually in on guys like this. It's usually the blue blood schools and it's the same for them in that it often goes down to the last minute. These level guys are just a completely different type of recruit and so is their recruitment.

#2024459 - 12/05/17 01:58 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Great contribution Kman.

#2024463 - 12/05/17 03:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

What still needs to be added to this recruiting class? I want some OTs, DTs, SDEs, a LB and a quick QB that can throw on the run. The new early signing day on Dec 20 makes recruiting more fun to watch this year.

#2024467 - 12/05/17 04:38 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Harris has posted that he is down to 2 schools. KU and Miss State. And then later on said that "Stands will fill up trust me"

I think KU is in the lead for Harris. Hopefully he gets Jason to follow suit.

#2024468 - 12/05/17 04:56 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: kylecof11]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Harris has posted that he is down to 2 schools. KU and Miss State. And then later on said that "Stands will fill up trust me"

Why would I "trust" a HS kid when I don't trust Zenger OR Beaty? Or is Mississippi State having attendance issues I am unaware of? laugh

#2024469 - 12/05/17 05:25 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
On those LA kids I am not going to believe it until they are signed. KU football has been so snake bit lately I am not going to get my hopes up. If they sign great, but right now I am looking at it as a bonus.

Page 84 of 94 < 1 2 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 93 94 >

Preview