Page 26 of 28 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017320 - 05/15/17 07:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Added a juco DT from Coffeyville - Zach Burks. 6'3", 290. 2018.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/may/15/former-olathe-d-lineman-zach-burks-commits-kansas/

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017321 - 05/15/17 07:58 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Local DT Zach Burks commits. Beaty continues the trend of adding local OL and DL recruits early which should make them harder to poach. He can announce OL and DL commits from out of state closer to the new early signing day when there is less time for other programs to swoop in and steal them.

Edited by pizzanbeer (05/15/17 10:58 PM)

#2017322 - 05/15/17 08:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
It is good to see Beaty adding bigger players on OL. Hannon weighs 315 and Tovi 320. That should help our running game especially close to the goal line and 3rd and short and 4th and short.

While size helps, it is not the be all end all. It seems like some of KUs bigger players recently haven't been that good. Then there was the Broncos line some years back that was one of the smallest in the league but they had one of the best running games. As long as they are still athletic and can effectively use that size great. If that one lineman is really 350lbs that will not work.

#2017391 - 05/19/17 02:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
It seems like a while for any new news, but this time of year is sometimes when bad stuff happens so let's keep the guys out of the newspaper and hopefully get better on the field!

#2017413 - 05/21/17 02:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Local DT Zach Burks commits. Beaty continues the trend of adding local OL and DL recruits early which should make them harder to poach. He can announce OL and DL commits from out of state closer to the new early signing day when there is less time for other programs to swoop in and steal them.

Where is this idea that other teams are "poaching" KU recruits? Do other coaches not recruit players and just wait for the list of KU commits to do their recruiting?
Like Self? He doesn't recruit and waits for Townsend to announce their commits and then he goes after them. Is that how it works?

#2017416 - 05/21/17 07:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Well, I heard directly from Beaty's mouth that the OU coaching staff (specifically Cale Gundy) was notorious for seeing KU being in on or getting from a verbal a decent recruit, and they'd immediately scout, offer, and try to flip them to OU.

#2017418 - 05/22/17 09:14 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So OU owes their numerous championships to KU recruiting? Beaty needs to pull one over on them and recruit crappy players.

#2017423 - 05/22/17 03:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Yeah, no one said that at all.

However, when you can skip over the work of determining a player's character, doing the leg work on visiting schools/watching HS games, and jump straight to watching a few minutes of film and offering...and having the prestige to pull those players, it gets frustrating.

#2017424 - 05/22/17 03:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: vmlb
So OU owes their numerous championships to KU recruiting? Beaty needs to pull one over on them and recruit crappy players.
Pretty sure he has been doing just that!

#2017426 - 05/22/17 03:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Well, I heard directly from Beaty's mouth that the OU coaching staff (specifically Cale Gundy) was notorious for seeing KU being in on or getting from a verbal a decent recruit, and they'd immediately scout, offer, and try to flip them to OU.
Does Alabama do that same thing by stealing Kentucky players?

#2017436 - 05/22/17 06:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas

Where is this idea that other teams are "poaching" KU recruits? Do other coaches not recruit players and just wait for the list of KU commits to do their recruiting?
Like Self? He doesn't recruit and waits for Townsend to announce their commits and then he goes after them. Is that how it works?
As Dgless21 said, OU has been targeting a lot of KU verbal commitments over the past couple of years. I believe right after our HUGE recruiting score on our 1st Junior Day weekend, OU immediately offered or tried to flip 3 of those guys. Also, within a couple of days of KU offering several guys in the KC metro area OU flew in and visited their schools and offered a few of them as well.

Of course OU does their own recruiting, but they've also been actively targeting a lot of KU verbal commitment guys immediately after those guys have given their verbal to KU over the past couple of years. They've also offered a lot of guys within a day or 2 of KU offering them. Way too many times that both of these type of things has happened for it not to be purposeful.

Also, as Dgless21 noted the KU coaches are aware of this and have mentioned it a couple of times over the past couple of years at alumni/fan events or directly to people who've talked to them personally.

Recently a couple of other schools seem to have jumped on board with a similar targeting of KU verbals/recent offers, but none to the extent OU has been doing it. It would appear that several schools trust KU's evaluations and therefore they immediately take notice of the guys we're targeting or getting and then only do their own cursory look at those guys and immediately offer the ones who pass that test for them.

#2017437 - 05/22/17 06:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Pretty sure he has been doing just that!
OK, if you ever show up at any KU football related event let Wise, Lee, Armstrong, Adeniji, Sims, Dineen, Loneker, Ribordy, or some of the new guys like Baldwin, Charlot, and Defense know how crappy they are.

Oh, who am I kidding, you'll NEVER show up.

This snippy comment from you either was a very bad attempt at humor or shows complete ignorance of a lot of things by you.

#2017438 - 05/22/17 07:04 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Your comment indicates you don't understand how recruiting via poaching works.

#2017451 - 05/22/17 11:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Poaching of our recruiting targets is just something we'll have to deal with until we have proof we are building a winning program. This year and next should be steps in that direction.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2017458 - 05/23/17 09:56 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So far, it really hasn't worked with any of our verbals/targets for the 2018 class yet. Maybe with the exception of Jenkins, though he committed when he didn't think his dream school (LSU) was going to offer him. KU's offer and his commitment kind of forced LSU's hand to put up or shut up at the time, so it wasn't really a typical poaching attempt.

It also doesn't look like the poaching attempts on any of our current verbals will work either as they seem more solid with KU than in the previous few years. I know OU put the full court press on Harris and Jason about 2 or 3 weeks after they committed to KU and it didn't work. Also, the targets/verbals that a couple of other schools went after right on the heels of KU offering or getting their verbal hasn't worked yet this year either.

So, it looks like we may have already taken steps in that direction.

Page 26 of 28 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 >

Preview