Page 124 of 131 < 1 2 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 130 131 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027595 - 02/08/18 07:24 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! *** [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: track
Originally Posted By: prairiehawk
I understand the concern about having too many juco players. And figures don't lie, but the liars can sure figure. However, here's another way to view the figures.

I believe KU has 27 total recruits so far this year and 1 transfer (5th yr. player, who we will not consider in the numbers). That breaks down as 9 scholarship high school players and 7 walk-on high school players that's a total of 16 high school recruits at this time.
KU also has 11 recruits that are juco players, BUT at least 3 of those players have three years of eligibility, so they might be placed in a category of similar to high school scholarship players and subtracted from the list of 11 juco (two year players).

So, the new numbers would be 19 high school recruits (meaning 3 or 4 year players). And only 8 juco recruits (meaning 2 yr. players). Also remember, a really good high player might not stay his full 4 eligible years, similar to Armstrong. So KU might not have him as a senior anyway.

I know this is a different way of looking at the figures, but 8 juco players would not be out of line for what KU needs (immediate help). And programs like k-state have done extremely well utilizing really GOOD juco talent (and walk-on talent) as needed. Bottom line - I just don't quite get all the panic about "having too many juco recruits". If most of those players stay a full 3 or 4 years, that would be a solid upper class for leadership. And most importantly, no matter where a recruit comes from, he must be coached and developed to have a significant impact for the team/program.

Actually there are SIX, not 3,of the new juco class that have 3+ years of eligibility left. That leaves only 5 new jucos that are the typical 2+ year juco player....hardly enough to ruin an entire senior class(sorry keegan). KSU signed 5 jucos in their class this year. A lot of fans associate jucos with the juco disaster created by Weis where he brought in 36 jucos and 15 of them never appeared in a game. That has not been the case with the jucos brought in to date by beaty....22 out of 22 have either appeared in a game or been redshirted...excluding the 2 who had medical issues that allowed their scholarships to be used by high school athletes.
Two of the new juco players are safeties, two are cornerbacks,two are defensive ends and one is a defensive lineman.....based on last year, we needed immediate help in
all those areas so it seems like the prudent thing to do was to get immediate help with older more experienced players to fill those roles.
I have no issues with this new recruiting class...in fact I think all things considered
beaty and his staff did a helluva job.(it for sure will not ruin the chances of success of a new head coach if that happens...as one moron fretted) Now the real question is can they translate that into some wins on the field....to date they have failed....thus this years performance on the field will probably decide their fate.
I have severe whiplash from reading the spin by both of you posters. But the premise that walk ons are counted as rock solid 2021 senior class is weak. Most walk ons are just that, for a reason other than they had no offers to accept. And will fall by the wayside, barring the exceptions of course. Hopefully Beaty isn't seriously counting on them to shore up his 3-33 program for any future wins. They make good practice players, usually. We had some winner sign ups but nothing to write home about. To compare Weis' JC program to Beaty's cannot be done at this time, but this isn't a science project where plenty of time should tell. Dude can't coach'em up, based on facts.

#2027596 - 02/08/18 08:03 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Sorry kuco.....whiplash is painful.
I never mentioned walk-ons...don't know why you chose to focus so much on them.
I believe in 2018 we take a step forward....we become much more competitive in games.....can't speak to the number of wins but 2018 will be the year it becomes clear that
Beaty is making progress rebuilding the team....that will definitely upset a lot of people on this board....which I will totally enjoy.

#2027601 - 02/08/18 08:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
madcapper Online   content
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
Good take on the recruiting track

#2027602 - 02/08/18 08:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
I'm curious. Some posters were certain a "good" coach could've turned us around from Weis in year two.

Obviously the best case would be our current coach wins us some games and helps build something quality.

However, if Beaty and Papa John don't make it past season's end, we get to hire a "good" coach with a new AD.

Am I in the wrong thinking that our roster is head and shoulders above where we were in Beaty's first year? One would think he at least laid a solid foundation that a new "good" coach can quickly cash in on, yes?

Even with all the JUCOs, the roster appears to be MUCH more stable and balanced than with Weis. I've made no attempts to hide that I think he was a fat worthless [censored] beyond even Zenger's worthlessness, so I may be biased. However, I'm curious what (most) others think of our current roster compared to the last few years.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2027605 - 02/08/18 09:16 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
I'm curious. Some posters were certain a "good" coach could've turned us around from Weis in year two.

Obviously the best case would be our current coach wins us some games and helps build something quality.

However, if Beaty and Papa John don't make it past season's end, we get to hire a "good" coach with a new AD.

Am I in the wrong thinking that our roster is head and shoulders above where we were in Beaty's first year? One would think he at least laid a solid foundation that a new "good" coach can quickly cash in on, yes?

Even with all the JUCOs, the roster appears to be MUCH more stable and balanced than with Weis. I've made no attempts to hide that I think he was a fat worthless [censored] beyond even Zenger's worthlessness, so I may be biased. However, I'm curious what (most) others think of our current roster compared to the last few years.

Agree with your assessment. ... we are in much better shape now than we were when Beaty was hired. He may fail and get fired but the guy by all accounts has worked his ass off for ku.

Edited by track (02/08/18 09:17 AM)

#2027608 - 02/08/18 10:14 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
But we're ignoring him...so he's obviously not coming here, right?
If we did a better job, we wouldn't need to wonder now about the outcome. Hopefully, he (Robinson) can see the value of a Kansas education.
I see I was right, Kansas s/h offered him earlier but waited until Tuesday to do it. So now we wait...

#2027612 - 02/08/18 12:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: madcapper]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: madcapper
Good take on the recruiting track
He is just posting the Beaty presser info. Nothing but the party line. Would be OK with it (if he won with it) but it still shows up as heavy dependent on JCs in the fourth year versus the third year of recruiting off season for Beaty.

dgless - Sure, Beaty roster for fourth year appears to be better than Beaty roster first year. Not sure why that matters when we still are not winning or even competitive in the BG12 or even lesser conferences. And yes, there are MUCH better "good" coaches out there who can turn around a program.

#2027613 - 02/08/18 12:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Agree with your assessment. ... we are in much better shape now than we were when Beaty was hired. He may fail and get fired but the guy by all accounts has worked his ass off for ku.
Between calling Weis a fat ass and then posting Beaty has worked his ass off, the ass references seem to be flying today!

#2027614 - 02/08/18 12:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Sorry kuco.....whiplash is painful.
I never mentioned walk-ons...don't know why you chose to focus so much on them.
I believe in 2018 we take a step forward....we become much more competitive in games.....can't speak to the number of wins but 2018 will be the year it becomes clear that
Beaty is making progress rebuilding the team....that will definitely upset a lot of people on this board....which I will totally enjoy.
If we don't win, how does it become clear that the program built on JCs, transfers, and some HS players, are in rebuilding mode? We show as if we are a Coffeyville CC post grad program...IMHO

#2027619 - 02/08/18 03:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
The hyperbole and made up BS just to try to reinforce a predetermined narrative is so predictable and so tired.

Some HS players? LOL

HS recruits make up the vast majority of the guys on scholarship at KU for the 2018 season.

#2027621 - 02/08/18 03:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

Hear we may still be working on at least 1 more recruit for this class, but won't know for a few weeks if we can get him or not.

#2027623 - 02/08/18 04:24 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
I've heard we have a backup plan if Jalan Robinson doesn't commit...but I'm not sure if that's what you're suggesting by the "few weeks if we can get him."

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2027626 - 02/08/18 05:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
The hyperbole and made up BS just to try to reinforce a predetermined narrative is so predictable and so tired.

Some HS players? LOL

HS recruits make up the vast majority of the guys on scholarship at KU for the 2018 season.
Yes, for now! But if the next class recruited is another 30% increase, we can talk some more.

#2027630 - 02/08/18 07:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Wilt Chamberlain

I've heard we have a backup plan if Jalan Robinson doesn't commit...but I'm not sure if that's what you're suggesting by the "few weeks if we can get him."
What's going on with him probably affects what happens, but I heard the name of a different recruit.

#2027631 - 02/08/18 07:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
What's going on with him probably affects what happens, but I heard the name of a different recruit.
I’ve heard otherwise. But hey we all have sources!!

Page 124 of 131 < 1 2 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 130 131 >

Preview