Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013275 - 01/11/17 06:24 PM Ryan Willis
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Has transfered to VaTech. Not surprising. Wish nothing but the best for him. Fuente has done a good job with QBs so it'll be interesting to see how he does. But Willis just ran his course at KU. He wasn't going to be a top 3 guy on his team next year in my mind.

#2013276 - 01/11/17 06:37 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

He just never seemed to settle down and let the game come to him while here. Always seemed too rushed and little panicked which lead to him being a turnover machine. Not surprising in 2015 as he was a true Freshman and our line had a lot of problems, but last year it seemed more self inflicted. I think he can do a lot better than he did, so hopefully he'll get the chance to at VaTech.

I guess he saw that it was going to be an uphill battle to get any PT here starting next year and decided to go somewhere with a better shot at playing.

Good luck to him and hope it works out for him, but like you said kylecof11, I don't think he would have been in the 2 deep here next year and maybe not even in the 3 spot at QB. I think KU will be in good shape (comparatively speaking) at the QB spot next year.

Edited by Kman_blue (01/11/17 10:58 PM)

#2013278 - 01/11/17 06:54 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Willis was never mobile enough to succeed behind our young OL. Beaty didn't do him any favors either with the QB rotation. I hope Ryan does well at Va Tech.

#2013281 - 01/11/17 08:03 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Good luck to a great young man. No surprise here. Change a scenery can be a good thing for a lot of people. Sports and professionals.

#2013283 - 01/11/17 08:10 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
The news is all good 🤡 right??

The QB situation seems very interesting at this junction. We don't seem to be developing very many for long term use. Could it be the OC isn't getting it done.

#2013285 - 01/11/17 08:33 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: bigdogjac]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
Good luck to a great young man. No surprise here.

Agreed. Best of luck to the dude.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013286 - 01/11/17 09:28 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
It's interesting how things work out. The changes to the offense from his freshman to his sophomore year seem to have set him back. He appeared to play with less confidence and worse decision making in his second year than his first. I wonder what might have happened if he hadn't broken his wrist last off season, spring ball to a young player is necessary.

#2013287 - 01/11/17 09:47 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Truthfully, it seemed the indecision between Willis and Cozart set them both back.

Hopefully a dedicated QB coach will help Stanley and Bender.

#2013288 - 01/11/17 10:08 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

As predicted. Family has a track record of seeking/joining teams projected to be good, going back to hs. Easy way to get national exposure, hardware, and bio. A walkon request got the sister on the ou's basketball team a few years ago that was projected to be highly ranked for upcoming seasons. Ended up getting her hardware and cool bio for having been (as benchwarmer) at two final four appearances. Not bad..

#2013289 - 01/11/17 11:04 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
Wilt Chamberlain

It is interesting that he's going there as a walkon and giving up his full scholarship here at KU.

I did like his competitiveness here as well as his physical toughness, and maybe that competitiveness has him believing he can earn a scholarship at VaTech quickly.

#2013290 - 01/12/17 05:47 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: rockchalkjjjhawk
As predicted. Family has a track record of seeking/joining teams projected to be good, going back to hs. Easy way to get national exposure, hardware, and bio. A walkon request got the sister on the ou's basketball team a few years ago that was projected to be highly ranked for upcoming seasons. Ended up getting her hardware and cool bio for having been (as benchwarmer) at two final four appearances. Not bad..
Your first sentence is contradictory to reality. He committed in May 2014. We were "projected to be good"? No and no. Not projected or in actuality.

#2013291 - 01/12/17 05:53 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
It is interesting that he's going there as a walkon and giving up his full scholarship here at KU.

I did like his competitiveness here as well as his physical toughness, and maybe that competitiveness has him believing he can earn a scholarship at VaTech quickly.
Doesn't this suggest to anyone here that the level of commitment to the current Kansas coaching staff is declining? I know he was a "leftover" from May 2014 BTW.

#2013292 - 01/12/17 05:57 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Truthfully, it seemed the indecision between Willis and Cozart set them both back.

Hopefully a dedicated QB coach will help Stanley and Bender.
You are starting to see a problem with coaching? Well done.

#2013297 - 01/12/17 07:59 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

For 2017, he was essentially demoted to fourth string. Bender and Stanley are firmly in front per Beaty comments. Willis was tied, at best, with Cozart based on last year's playing time.

Can't blame him for leaving. If I recall, he committed under Weis when Cozart looked terrible, Darling was underwhelming, Stanley, Bender, and Starks weren't on the depth chart. I can understand that he wants a fresh start and a new chance to compete, but it would be odd that he chose KU with expectations of trophies.

#2013303 - 01/12/17 09:01 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Was 3 not 4 in 2016. Bender is 2017 roster add

#2013312 - 01/12/17 10:11 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
carp Offline
Baby Jay

Most people don't understand the recruiting process for quarterbacks or other positions. Ryan had the misfortune of being recruited and signing under one head coach and trying to play for another head coach. When a new coach comes in the old players are on a short leash because they are not the new head coaches player. It is easy for the new head coach to discard the old players and play his recruits that way he can say I am bringing in better talent even if he is not. Mangino, Gill, Weis, Beaty all did this. I've seen KU players get moved to different positions by the new college coach and get moved back to their original position by the NFL coach and make the NFL team. I've seen KU players get dismissed from KU from their new college coach, start for another D-1 school and make a NFL team. I feel players should be able to transfer without sitting out of a year if they're recruiting coach gets fired or leaves for another coaching job. I wish Ryan the best

#2013340 - 01/12/17 03:39 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Doesn't this suggest to anyone here that the level of commitment to the current Kansas coaching staff is declining?
No

#2013345 - 01/12/17 04:24 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Why couldn't it had been the trainwreck Cozart??

#2013348 - 01/12/17 05:00 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Doesn't this suggest to anyone here that the level of commitment to the current Kansas coaching staff is declining?
No
After your hitler comment, you now speak for everyone? Bad karma.

#2013350 - 01/12/17 05:08 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Josh2408]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Josh2408
Why couldn't it had been the trainwreck Cozart??
Cozart is a fine representative for the University. Pick on the real culprits for Kansas success.

#2013357 - 01/12/17 05:32 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I was going to comment on this post until I read KUCO doing his usual bullying...I do give him credit for Troll Of The Year honors as he trolls EVERYONE!

#2013359 - 01/12/17 05:35 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

IMO he got screwed. IMO he should have been the starter day one of fall camps. IMO he might have been shoved down the list because of the off season injury. IMO that injury put him in the DB doghouse. If it was the case of "coach plays the players he recruited" wouldn't Stanley have been the starter on day one?

#2013360 - 01/12/17 05:37 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: pizzanbeer]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Beaty didn't do him any favors either with the QB rotation.

I don't buy this one bit. The old saying is "If you have two Quarterbacks, you really have none" and it fit here perfectly.

Cozart nor Willis could separate themselves from each other. They both made incredibly dumb decisions and were not progressing enough to justify giving either the job. There is a reason that we never won a game with Willis starting, and while yeah, the team was terrible, every team SHOULD win a game or two now and then (see UT 2016).

I hope Willis the best, but this reminds me exactly of when Jordan Webb left. Everyone wanted to blame Weis for not giving him a fair shot, but the truth was, as he showed at Colorado, he just wasn't that good.

#2013361 - 01/12/17 05:45 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: vmlb]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

Originally Posted By: vmlb
IMO he got screwed. IMO he should have been the starter day one of fall camps. IMO he might have been shoved down the list because of the off season injury. IMO that injury put him in the DB doghouse. If it was the case of "coach plays the players he recruited" wouldn't Stanley have been the starter on day one?

DB clearly didn't believe that Stanley was mentally ready for the job, or else I have a hard time believing that he didn't outplay both Willis and Cozart.

Willis was given over a full year to prove what he was worth, and he failed. No question in my mind do we beat TCU with Stanley starting. 6 INT's in 2 games from a Sophomore with experience isn't going to cut it given the current state of KU football affairs.

#2013362 - 01/12/17 05:47 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

If you envision a son to be a pro QB prospect, what better exposure and connection was there at the time than HC CW? I mean he was part of (valid or not) Brady's early career. And he wasn't courted by the top programs at the time. If it had been known that CW would immediately leave, there's no doubt that a deal would have been made to walkon somewhere.

#2013365 - 01/12/17 06:49 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
I was going to comment on this post until I read KUCO doing his usual bullying...I do give him credit for Troll Of The Year honors as he trolls EVERYONE!
Between the hitler comment (kman's)and your "bullying" comment I can't decide who has worst manners in posting. Trump pulled the hitler card this week as well. Guess I go with the 3rd reich...

#2013366 - 01/12/17 06:50 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

If you envision a son to be a pro QB prospect, what better exposure and connection was there at the time than HC CW? I mean he was part of (valid or not) Brady's early career. And he wasn't courted by the top programs at the time. If it had been known that CW would immediately leave, there's no doubt that a deal would have been made to walkon somewhere.
Good comment. If Weis had had more time, who knows if Willis would be transferring now.

#2013375 - 01/12/17 07:49 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

No
After your hitler comment, you now speak for everyone? Bad karma.
No, I speak for me and I'd be a part of the group of "anyone", so I spoke up.

As for your characterization of my previous metaphor illustrating the obvious flaws in your reasoning as a "hitler comment" that's about as accurate as your poor reasoning was. Either that or you're just being intellectually dishonest or have some preoccupation with hitler.

No mention of Gandhi either....hhhmmm....I'm leaning to you being both dishonest and having some kind of hero worship with hitler.

#2013377 - 01/12/17 08:19 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Cozart is not a QB he will never be even an average QB. Let him be the Mascot I'm sure he could hit throw tossing teeshirts

#2013386 - 01/12/17 09:40 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

kman - you mentioned him, you own him.

I do think you regert bringing it up. No pun intended !

#2013395 - 01/13/17 08:20 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: TheBashman]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: TheBashman
Originally Posted By: vmlb

DB clearly didn't believe that Stanley was mentally ready for the job, or else I have a hard time believing that he didn't outplay both Willis and Cozart.

Willis was given over a full year to prove what he was worth, and he failed. No question in my mind do we beat TCU with Stanley starting. 6 INT's in 2 games from a Sophomore with experience isn't going to cut it given the current state of KU football affairs.

I would like to point out that in one and a half years, Willis proved to the coaching staff that he was better then Stanley. If that wasn't the case, Willis would have been redshirted year one, Stanley would have played and taken the beating. Even after missing the whole spring workouts, and participating in the fall practices, Willis proved to the coaches he was a better QB.
We can all play this game.Had Willis been the starter on day one, we would have beaten TCU, Ohio, Memphis, KSU, TCU, and TT, and we would have been bowling.

#2013400 - 01/13/17 08:58 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I think Willis is the ultimate "what if" player.

He was easily the most naturally gifted QB on the roster. He had the size, arm, and toughness to play the position, but he needed some coaching. His footwork wasn't great. He stared down receivers. He threw some bad/errant passes.

I think many of us are/were frustrated because, frankly, Cozart was so damn bad at times. Willis had "flashes" where he'd get rolling and it seemed like we had a QB. Cozart never showed that, at least to me. Willis and his skills and potential on the bench felt like a waste.

I definitely understand the frustration of seeing him leave as he had plenty of potential. I think redshirting and refocusing will really help him if his goal is the NFL.

#2013417 - 01/13/17 03:49 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Between the hitler comment (kman's)and your "bullying" comment I can't decide who has worst manners in posting. Trump pulled the hitler card this week as well. Guess I go with the 3rd reich...
You don't get it. Non one with any sanity likes you on this board! So maybe that means you should have better manners.

#2013420 - 01/13/17 05:48 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I get it. You don't like my posts. If you are a group do you have some kind of actual place you meet so your comments can be vetted?

You have called me Asshat & assclown. Talk about manners!!

Edited by KUCO_VOC (01/13/17 05:50 PM)
Edit Reason: You are what you call others

#2013425 - 01/13/17 06:12 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I never said that. All I called you was cuckoo.

#2013428 - 01/13/17 06:20 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I never said that. All I called you was cuckoo.

Correct. I mistook you for dog breath.

#2013433 - 01/13/17 08:26 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

I don't regret one word of my comment illustrating your highly flawed reasoning.

Again, no Gandhi mention...you really do have some kind of obsession with that nazi guy don't you?

#2013447 - 01/14/17 09:33 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I don't regret one word of my comment illustrating your highly flawed reasoning.

Again, no Gandhi mention...you really do have some kind of obsession with that nazi guy don't you?
I seem to recall you pulling that out of your wherever. If no argument makes sense, use the German guy's name per kman. Still can't figure out why you link Gandhi to Beaty, weird.

#2013479 - 01/14/17 05:50 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Seems like Stanley got better and more comfortable each game he played in, so would have liked to see what he would have done starting game one. Maybe he's a guy that plays better then practices...

#2013488 - 01/15/17 10:02 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I think WIllis is a guy who is best suited for a pocket style offense. He never seemed to do much improving in the way of reads and throwing on the move. That he has the prototypical QB size coveted by many coaches was the big attraction in his case, not his execution. We simply didn't have an offensive line who could provide the time needed for WIllis to be successful.

Given his rate of improvement over the last 3 games he started I agree starting Stanley early in the season might have added a higher number in our win column by season end than we got, but picking the winning horse is always easier after the race is run. As it is, now the the race is run, Stanley is clearly the best choice between those two QB for our offense and our situation, so Willis is making the right call is finding a new home. Wish him nothing but the best.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2013492 - 01/15/17 10:15 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I think WIllis is a guy who is best suited for a pocket style offense. He never seemed to do much improving in the way of reads and throwing on the move. That he has the prototypical QB size coveted by many coaches was the big attraction in his case, not his execution. We simply didn't have an offensive line who could provide the time needed for WIllis to be successful.

Given his rate of improvement over the last 3 games he started I agree starting Stanley early in the season might have added a higher number in our win column by season end than we got, but picking the winning horse is always easier after the race is run. As it is, now the the race is run, Stanley is clearly the best choice between those two QB for our offense and our situation, so Willis is making the right call is finding a new home. Wish him nothing but the best.
The highest rated recruit in Beaty's first year says adios to Kansas and it's ok? My latest posts have been all about the lack of higher rated players on our roster.

Just thinking about how much grief Weis took over the QB position issues. Not so much here.

#2013499 - 01/15/17 10:50 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Willis had decent arm strength, size, and accuracy. Throwing on the run and reading the D not so much. A lot of potential in the right system surrounded by the right players. Not a good fit here and not recruited by Beaty.

I guess I just repeated pretty much what Appy said.

#2013501 - 01/15/17 10:58 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Not recruited by Beaty" is one of my concerns. Weis at the least won a game or two with "other's players" on the roster. Not comparing them but wondering when the total Beaty roster will be completed? How many more years do we give him to turn his team into his "first year" of results based on the perception of it's not his team yet.

#2013502 - 01/15/17 11:08 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Willis had some good first year stats but why the coachable parts declined is another concern about the staff for Beaty. He should have been able to last an entire career here IMO.

#2013508 - 01/15/17 02:50 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Different offense requires different skill set. Also decline in running game IMO.

#2013534 - 01/16/17 11:10 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: 58hawk]
Wilt Chamberlain

Seems like Stanley got better and more comfortable each game he played in, so would have liked to see what he would have done starting game one. Maybe he's a guy that plays better then practices...
I agree. I would have liked to see how he would have improved if he got more playing time earlier in the year last year.

I know he was still coming off his injury coming into the season and perhaps that played a part in why he didn't see the field much earlier.

#2013535 - 01/16/17 11:14 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

I seem to recall you pulling that out of your wherever. If no argument makes sense, use the German guy's name per kman. Still can't figure out why you link Gandhi to Beaty, weird.
Oh, I get it now, you don't understand anything beyond simple linear thoughts and ideas.

OK, I'll try to keep things dumbed down for you from now on, but no promises you'll be able to understand.

#2013537 - 01/16/17 11:37 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Oh, I get it now, you don't understand anything beyond simple linear thoughts and ideas.

OK, I'll try to keep things dumbed down for you from now on, but no promises you'll be able to understand.
You understand Godwin's law? Once the comparison is made w/hitler, the thread is finished. Whoever mentioned him first (kman in this instance) has automatically lost whatever debate is in progress. Linear enough for you?

#2013542 - 01/16/17 12:17 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

You understand Godwin's law? Once the comparison is made w/hitler, the thread is finished. Whoever mentioned him first (kman in this instance) has automatically lost whatever debate is in progress. Linear enough for you?
I'll take that as evidence you still don't understand.

I never directly compared anyone or anything to hitler, which is what that supposed Godwin's law alludes to. Simple enough for you? I bet not.

#2013544 - 01/16/17 12:32 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The argument was flawed to begin with when it used an association fallacy to apply qualities to Beaty that he does not have.

#2013554 - 01/16/17 03:22 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
The argument was flawed to begin with when it used an association fallacy to apply qualities to Beaty that he does not have.
You don't believe Beaty is Gandhi-like? That's reassuring about your judgement anyway.

#2013555 - 01/16/17 03:25 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I'll take that as evidence you still don't understand.

I never directly compared anyone or anything to hitler, which is what that supposed Godwin's law alludes to. Simple enough for you? I bet not.
This thread was over when you invoked the hitler name. I understand that!

#2013561 - 01/16/17 05:24 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree. I would have liked to see how he would have improved if he got more playing time earlier in the year last year.

I know he was still coming off his injury coming into the season and perhaps that played a part in why he didn't see the field much earlier.
Yeah that makes sense. Forgot about the injury.

#2013579 - 01/17/17 04:36 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Yeah that makes sense. Forgot about the injury.
If he had only played through the pain. Oh ya🙁

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview