Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013395 - 01/13/17 08:20 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: TheBashman]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: TheBashman
Originally Posted By: vmlb
IMO he got screwed. IMO he should have been the starter day one of fall camps. IMO he might have been shoved down the list because of the off season injury. IMO that injury put him in the DB doghouse. If it was the case of "coach plays the players he recruited" wouldn't Stanley have been the starter on day one?

DB clearly didn't believe that Stanley was mentally ready for the job, or else I have a hard time believing that he didn't outplay both Willis and Cozart.

Willis was given over a full year to prove what he was worth, and he failed. No question in my mind do we beat TCU with Stanley starting. 6 INT's in 2 games from a Sophomore with experience isn't going to cut it given the current state of KU football affairs.

I would like to point out that in one and a half years, Willis proved to the coaching staff that he was better then Stanley. If that wasn't the case, Willis would have been redshirted year one, Stanley would have played and taken the beating. Even after missing the whole spring workouts, and participating in the fall practices, Willis proved to the coaches he was a better QB.
We can all play this game.Had Willis been the starter on day one, we would have beaten TCU, Ohio, Memphis, KSU, TCU, and TT, and we would have been bowling.

#2013400 - 01/13/17 08:58 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
I think Willis is the ultimate "what if" player.

He was easily the most naturally gifted QB on the roster. He had the size, arm, and toughness to play the position, but he needed some coaching. His footwork wasn't great. He stared down receivers. He threw some bad/errant passes.

I think many of us are/were frustrated because, frankly, Cozart was so damn bad at times. Willis had "flashes" where he'd get rolling and it seemed like we had a QB. Cozart never showed that, at least to me. Willis and his skills and potential on the bench felt like a waste.

I definitely understand the frustration of seeing him leave as he had plenty of potential. I think redshirting and refocusing will really help him if his goal is the NFL.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013417 - 01/13/17 03:49 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
I was going to comment on this post until I read KUCO doing his usual bullying...I do give him credit for Troll Of The Year honors as he trolls EVERYONE!
Between the hitler comment (kman's)and your "bullying" comment I can't decide who has worst manners in posting. Trump pulled the hitler card this week as well. Guess I go with the 3rd reich...
You don't get it. Non one with any sanity likes you on this board! So maybe that means you should have better manners.

#2013420 - 01/13/17 05:48 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
I get it. You don't like my posts. If you are a group do you have some kind of actual place you meet so your comments can be vetted?

You have called me Asshat & assclown. Talk about manners!!

Edited by KUCO_VOC (01/13/17 05:50 PM)
Edit Reason: You are what you call others

#2013425 - 01/13/17 06:12 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I never said that. All I called you was cuckoo.

#2013428 - 01/13/17 06:20 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
I never said that. All I called you was cuckoo.

Correct. I mistook you for dog breath.

#2013433 - 01/13/17 08:26 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
kman - you mentioned him, you own him.

I do think you regert bringing it up. No pun intended !
I don't regret one word of my comment illustrating your highly flawed reasoning.

Again, no Gandhi mention...you really do have some kind of obsession with that nazi guy don't you?

#2013447 - 01/14/17 09:33 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
kman - you mentioned him, you own him.

I do think you regert bringing it up. No pun intended !
I don't regret one word of my comment illustrating your highly flawed reasoning.

Again, no Gandhi mention...you really do have some kind of obsession with that nazi guy don't you?
I seem to recall you pulling that out of your wherever. If no argument makes sense, use the German guy's name per kman. Still can't figure out why you link Gandhi to Beaty, weird.

#2013479 - 01/14/17 05:50 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Seems like Stanley got better and more comfortable each game he played in, so would have liked to see what he would have done starting game one. Maybe he's a guy that plays better then practices...

#2013488 - 01/15/17 10:02 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I think WIllis is a guy who is best suited for a pocket style offense. He never seemed to do much improving in the way of reads and throwing on the move. That he has the prototypical QB size coveted by many coaches was the big attraction in his case, not his execution. We simply didn't have an offensive line who could provide the time needed for WIllis to be successful.

Given his rate of improvement over the last 3 games he started I agree starting Stanley early in the season might have added a higher number in our win column by season end than we got, but picking the winning horse is always easier after the race is run. As it is, now the the race is run, Stanley is clearly the best choice between those two QB for our offense and our situation, so Willis is making the right call is finding a new home. Wish him nothing but the best.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2013492 - 01/15/17 10:15 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I think WIllis is a guy who is best suited for a pocket style offense. He never seemed to do much improving in the way of reads and throwing on the move. That he has the prototypical QB size coveted by many coaches was the big attraction in his case, not his execution. We simply didn't have an offensive line who could provide the time needed for WIllis to be successful.

Given his rate of improvement over the last 3 games he started I agree starting Stanley early in the season might have added a higher number in our win column by season end than we got, but picking the winning horse is always easier after the race is run. As it is, now the the race is run, Stanley is clearly the best choice between those two QB for our offense and our situation, so Willis is making the right call is finding a new home. Wish him nothing but the best.
The highest rated recruit in Beaty's first year says adios to Kansas and it's ok? My latest posts have been all about the lack of higher rated players on our roster.

Just thinking about how much grief Weis took over the QB position issues. Not so much here.

#2013499 - 01/15/17 10:50 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Willis had decent arm strength, size, and accuracy. Throwing on the run and reading the D not so much. A lot of potential in the right system surrounded by the right players. Not a good fit here and not recruited by Beaty.

I guess I just repeated pretty much what Appy said.

#2013501 - 01/15/17 10:58 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Not recruited by Beaty" is one of my concerns. Weis at the least won a game or two with "other's players" on the roster. Not comparing them but wondering when the total Beaty roster will be completed? How many more years do we give him to turn his team into his "first year" of results based on the perception of it's not his team yet.

#2013502 - 01/15/17 11:08 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Willis had some good first year stats but why the coachable parts declined is another concern about the staff for Beaty. He should have been able to last an entire career here IMO.

#2013508 - 01/15/17 02:50 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Different offense requires different skill set. Also decline in running game IMO.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview