Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013275 - 01/11/17 06:24 PM Ryan Willis
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Has transfered to VaTech. Not surprising. Wish nothing but the best for him. Fuente has done a good job with QBs so it'll be interesting to see how he does. But Willis just ran his course at KU. He wasn't going to be a top 3 guy on his team next year in my mind.

#2013276 - 01/11/17 06:37 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

He just never seemed to settle down and let the game come to him while here. Always seemed too rushed and little panicked which lead to him being a turnover machine. Not surprising in 2015 as he was a true Freshman and our line had a lot of problems, but last year it seemed more self inflicted. I think he can do a lot better than he did, so hopefully he'll get the chance to at VaTech.

I guess he saw that it was going to be an uphill battle to get any PT here starting next year and decided to go somewhere with a better shot at playing.

Good luck to him and hope it works out for him, but like you said kylecof11, I don't think he would have been in the 2 deep here next year and maybe not even in the 3 spot at QB. I think KU will be in good shape (comparatively speaking) at the QB spot next year.

Edited by Kman_blue (01/11/17 10:58 PM)

#2013278 - 01/11/17 06:54 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Online   content
Pure Jayhawk

Willis was never mobile enough to succeed behind our young OL. Beaty didn't do him any favors either with the QB rotation. I hope Ryan does well at Va Tech.

#2013281 - 01/11/17 08:03 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
bigdogjac Online   happy
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Good luck to a great young man. No surprise here. Change a scenery can be a good thing for a lot of people. Sports and professionals.

#2013283 - 01/11/17 08:10 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
The news is all good 🤡 right??

The QB situation seems very interesting at this junction. We don't seem to be developing very many for long term use. Could it be the OC isn't getting it done.

#2013285 - 01/11/17 08:33 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: bigdogjac]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
Good luck to a great young man. No surprise here.

Agreed. Best of luck to the dude.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013286 - 01/11/17 09:28 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
It's interesting how things work out. The changes to the offense from his freshman to his sophomore year seem to have set him back. He appeared to play with less confidence and worse decision making in his second year than his first. I wonder what might have happened if he hadn't broken his wrist last off season, spring ball to a young player is necessary.

#2013287 - 01/11/17 09:47 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Truthfully, it seemed the indecision between Willis and Cozart set them both back.

Hopefully a dedicated QB coach will help Stanley and Bender.

#2013288 - 01/11/17 10:08 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

As predicted. Family has a track record of seeking/joining teams projected to be good, going back to hs. Easy way to get national exposure, hardware, and bio. A walkon request got the sister on the ou's basketball team a few years ago that was projected to be highly ranked for upcoming seasons. Ended up getting her hardware and cool bio for having been (as benchwarmer) at two final four appearances. Not bad..

#2013289 - 01/11/17 11:04 PM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

It is interesting that he's going there as a walkon and giving up his full scholarship here at KU.

I did like his competitiveness here as well as his physical toughness, and maybe that competitiveness has him believing he can earn a scholarship at VaTech quickly.

#2013290 - 01/12/17 05:47 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: rockchalkjjjhawk
As predicted. Family has a track record of seeking/joining teams projected to be good, going back to hs. Easy way to get national exposure, hardware, and bio. A walkon request got the sister on the ou's basketball team a few years ago that was projected to be highly ranked for upcoming seasons. Ended up getting her hardware and cool bio for having been (as benchwarmer) at two final four appearances. Not bad..
Your first sentence is contradictory to reality. He committed in May 2014. We were "projected to be good"? No and no. Not projected or in actuality.

#2013291 - 01/12/17 05:53 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
It is interesting that he's going there as a walkon and giving up his full scholarship here at KU.

I did like his competitiveness here as well as his physical toughness, and maybe that competitiveness has him believing he can earn a scholarship at VaTech quickly.
Doesn't this suggest to anyone here that the level of commitment to the current Kansas coaching staff is declining? I know he was a "leftover" from May 2014 BTW.

#2013292 - 01/12/17 05:57 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Truthfully, it seemed the indecision between Willis and Cozart set them both back.

Hopefully a dedicated QB coach will help Stanley and Bender.
You are starting to see a problem with coaching? Well done.

#2013297 - 01/12/17 07:59 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: rockchalkjjjhawk

For 2017, he was essentially demoted to fourth string. Bender and Stanley are firmly in front per Beaty comments. Willis was tied, at best, with Cozart based on last year's playing time.

Can't blame him for leaving. If I recall, he committed under Weis when Cozart looked terrible, Darling was underwhelming, Stanley, Bender, and Starks weren't on the depth chart. I can understand that he wants a fresh start and a new chance to compete, but it would be odd that he chose KU with expectations of trophies.

#2013303 - 01/12/17 09:01 AM Re: Ryan Willis [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Was 3 not 4 in 2016. Bender is 2017 roster add

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview