Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013321 - 01/12/17 12:08 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I can't understate how big this is for the program. This is a guy KU people wanted a few years back, now he is part of the program after 3 years of calling plays at a damn good program. Instantly improves the offense. To replace Phillips with Meacham is a definite upgrade.

#2013322 - 01/12/17 12:11 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
I can't understate how big this is for the program. This is a guy KU people wanted a few years back, now he is part of the program after 3 years of calling plays at a damn good program. Instantly improves the offense. To replace Phillips with Meacham is a definite upgrade.
Hopefully, he can take over special teams as well. Couldn't do worse!

#2013329 - 01/12/17 01:20 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: kylecof11]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.

Agreed. He is a home run of a hire.

Definitely doesn't hurt that he's from the Dallas area, and he has the Big 12 knowledge from OkSU and TCU. Quickly fills two areas of need with OC and WR.

It has been noted in a couple tweets that Meacham signed a three year deal. I wonder what the pay is like. He would seem to be an upgrade from Likens who was at 400-450k a year, IIRC.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013333 - 01/12/17 02:20 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
If I had a guess, he is probably around the 600K range. I think Beaty went to Zenger and said we have an opportunity to get this guy, but we have to up the pay to get him compared to what they paid Likens/Phillips.

#2013336 - 01/12/17 03:00 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Maybe DB is smarter than we thought. I am so happy he is no longer calling plays.

#2013338 - 01/12/17 03:15 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/call-ni...acks-under-dou/

Fun article to see how QBs have fared under Meacham

#2013343 - 01/12/17 04:06 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I like this hire. Meacham has more experience than Likens did as an OC. He has spent a lot of time coaching in Ok and Tx so he should be able to help with recruiting. Now I'm expecting a win against TCU.

#2013351 - 01/12/17 05:16 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

I hate to pee in everyone's Wheaties, but this is not a "home run hire". Maybe in the current state of KU football, its the best we can do, however this is far from a "home run".

His experience besides the smaller schools is at Oklahoma St, TCU, and Houston, which all sound great. However, two of the three he was all but fired from.

TCU would have demoted him after this year after regressing quite a bit offensively. It wasn't just because of losing Boykin either. They couldn't run the ball, and this quote from Patterson after the OSU game says it all...

“Shoot, maybe we’ll be changing offenses again,” Patterson said after the loss to the Cowboys. “You have to be able to run the football. Definitely how we practice and do things in the spring and in two-a-days, I can tell you that. … My guys downstairs know I love them, but the bottom line is we had two weeks to prepare.

Not a vote of confidence for the guy. Thing is, that isn't the only place that wanted him gone previously...

The guy played with Mike Gundy at OSU in the mid 80's and was on Gundy's original coaching staff back in 2005. They had great success, but how can you explain him getting passed over for Offensive Coordinator THREE TIMES for outside candidates before finally leaving for Houston? The papers at the time even questioned not promoting him, so that tells you something internally was up.

Listen, I love KU football and want them to succeed more than anyone, but lets be real here. Doug Meacham is another scrap heap coach who we hype up, but the truth is, we didn't steal him from anyone.

#2013352 - 01/12/17 05:19 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: TheBashman]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Well said Bashman!

#2013354 - 01/12/17 05:23 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
So Beaty hired Meachem. The TCU OC. This is a big damn move. Holy crap.
Meachem has "earned it". His hire can save both Zenger and Beaty bacon. Sounds like they finally took my advice to get someone with experience in winning.

Hopefully he is making more than $1.6M guaranteed.
Hope we can keep Bowen. Nebraska just fired their DC.

#2013355 - 01/12/17 05:23 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Well said Bashman!
And I was happy for a couple hours. Damnit!

#2013380 - 01/12/17 08:51 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Interesting that he turned down Tulane and North Texas for HC position.Easy to dump on a guy who wasn't totally responsible for the successes or failures of TCU offense. Let's match this guy's play calling with improved personnel on KU's offense and maybe a for real QB in Bender and see what happens.

#2013385 - 01/12/17 09:33 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: AlOerter]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Interesting that he turned down Tulane and North Texas for HC position.Easy to dump on a guy who wasn't totally responsible for the successes or failures of TCU offense. Let's match this guy's play calling with improved personnel on KU's offense and maybe a for real QB in Bender and see what happens.
I agree it will be interesting to see. My eyes are wide open.

#2013389 - 01/12/17 09:58 PM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: AlOerter]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

Originally Posted By: AlOerter

Thing is, he wasn't even a candidate at Tulane by sources from ESPN and beyond....

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2015/12/tulane_reportedly_offers_head.html

The hype machine continues but facts are facts. I am willing to see what he can do, but there are huge red flags with him.

#2013396 - 01/13/17 08:22 AM Re: Spavital as OC ? [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Regardless of whether he was offered a HC position, we have a history of having to bring in coaches who had been out of coaching, were position coaches, were smaller school dudes, or were HS coaches.

We needed a WR's coach. We needed to improve on offense, and most wanted to see Beaty give up the play-calling duties. Beaty didn't find someone who had one good season or that dominated against the Mountain West or MAC, he found someone that helped an offense to be 30th, 6th, and 6th in total offense the last 3 years. Before he showed up, they were 107th.

We can say he was on his way out. We can say he never got HC offers. We can have a defeatist, negative outlook on everything...or we can look at the positives. We hired a great OC that greatly improved the TCU offense. He checks all the boxes for coaching WRs, experienced OC, Beaty turning over play-calling, and recruiting in a hotbed (Dallas).

Asking for someone bigger or better is either just blind greed or a complete misunderstanding of the state of KU football--regarding both its prestige and financials.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview