Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013119 - 01/05/17 03:33 PM New Early Signing Period Proposed
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

NCAA proposed a new early signing period for the last Wednesday in June but I haven't seen it finalized yet. They want to start it in the next recruiting class. If approved it should help Beaty hang on to more of the early commits.

#2013124 - 01/05/17 04:29 PM Re: New Early Signing Period Proposed [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
I think June is too early, but I do like the idea of having one in August or early September.

This would allow players in HS to stop the recruitment process from interfering with the season similar to how basketball allows the same.

It would definitely be of benefit to KU as we seem to find players only to have them poached after their original commitment in the 6 months between a (verbal) commitment and signing day.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013132 - 01/05/17 06:49 PM Re: New Early Signing Period Proposed [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

The NCAA needs to cut down on player poaching to improve parity and make the games more interesting. Close games sell tickets and draw TV viewers. If realignment taught us anything its that the almighty dollar drives these decisions.

Edited by pizzanbeer (01/05/17 06:51 PM)

#2013665 - 01/19/17 04:28 PM Re: New Early Signing Period Proposed [Re: pizzanbeer]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

The early signing period in June was shot down by the coaches. Now there probably will be an early signing period in December. Most HS recruits will wait and won't sign early so not much of a change. IMO the NCAA should have bumped the early signing period to end of July or beginning of August. Let the HS players visit in the spring and early summer and commit during a true early signing period. An early signing period would limit the poaching and decommits which benefits the big football schools.

Edited by pizzanbeer (01/19/17 04:49 PM)

#2013705 - 01/21/17 07:07 AM Re: New Early Signing Period Proposed [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Totally agree that a LOI signing prior to Feb 1 in 2017, for example, would be helpful to programs that need to retain their commits such as Kansas. Successful programs have less desire to move it up. But I doubt that it gets moved to help lesser programs. All about politics...

Preview