Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013114 - 01/05/17 02:20 PM Zenger=the Better 'tater?
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Looks to me like Tech is screwed:

No Mahomes, one can get season tickets to Tech basketball w/ a $50 purchase at PriceChopper, stuck w/ Coach Bro. Tech's PigFarmer AD is making Zenger look good. Like a Ford F350 w/ a $50000 bass boat parked in an aluminum $250 carport in front of a mobile home, Tech really knows how to spruce up the neighborhood when the Pac12 comes calling.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (01/05/17 02:25 PM)

#2013115 - 01/05/17 02:45 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
The dude at Tech has been really bad regardless of who you compare him to.

Zenger's only successes are Rock Chalk Park and spending donor money. Beyond that, he has been terrible or worse at making hires (with the jury still out on Beaty). I can't imagine people like the TV deal he made with Time Warner. His abilities, to date, do not warrant his salary.

I would say Zenger is better, but only because Hocutt has had things go so badly.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013186 - 01/07/17 04:00 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: dgless21]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21

Zenger's only successes are Rock Chalk Park and spending donor money. Beyond that, he has been terrible or worse at making hires (with the jury still out on Beaty). I can't imagine people like the TV deal he made with Time Warner. His abilities, to date, do not warrant his salary.

I would say Zenger is better, but only because Hocutt has had things go so badly.

Seems to me that the current Chancellor/Zenger's conservative approach here has been the correct move. They've shored up any Title IX complaints w/ the RockChalk Park, maintained an the Anderson complex and kept Bill happy w/ a constant infusion of donor money into the AFH complex w/out accruing hardly any debt. Most of the debt left is stuff from the Freddy era renovations of Memorial. Now, if Beaty makes a move on the field, we can do Memorial exactly right. I wouldn't count Zenger out just yet. Maybe he's just weathered the storm after his Weis fiasco.

#2013204 - 01/07/17 09:57 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: John_Brown]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

It would go along ways toward fan interest if we could get updates from Shay-Z about the progress of upgrading Memorial Stadium. Even an update or estimation of donations would be great.

I do remember hearing him say now that everything else is done he is 100% focused on the football stadium.

#2013205 - 01/07/17 09:59 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Jefferson's West
The last article I saw said he was still weeding it down to hire the person to run that process.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013207 - 01/08/17 12:47 AM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I can't imagine people like the TV deal he made with Time Warner.

I know those who can't get that channel or ESPN3 or get ESPN3 but are blacked out (those who live in Kansas and can't get the channel in their normal lineup) don't like it at all, but it did net KU an extra $1 million per year in revenue and gives us national coverage for those games which before were largely limited to only viewers within the state of Kansas or the KC area.

#2013216 - 01/08/17 12:37 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: John_Brown

Seems to me that the current Chancellor/Zenger's conservative approach here has been the correct move. They've shored up any Title IX complaints w/ the RockChalk Park, maintained an the Anderson complex and kept Bill happy w/ a constant infusion of donor money into the AFH complex w/out accruing hardly any debt. Most of the debt left is stuff from the Freddy era renovations of Memorial. Now, if Beaty makes a move on the field, we can do Memorial exactly right. I wouldn't count Zenger out just yet. Maybe he's just weathered the storm after his Weis fiasco.

Beaty salary increase (not his time extension) is a yuge mistake. Dead last in punt yds returns for 2016 plus 2 wins in 2 yrs. should have made Zenger take pause. I thought Zenger picked Beaty as a football caretaker until some older debts were paid out (Weis and Memorial renos).

#2013218 - 01/08/17 01:38 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Originally Posted By: John_Brown

Beaty salary increase (not his time extension) is a yuge mistake. Dead last in punt yds returns for 2016 plus 2 wins in 2 yrs. should have made Zenger take pause. I thought Zenger picked Beaty as a football caretaker until some older debts were paid out (Weis and Memorial renos).

Zenger is a puppet. After the WTFChuck debacle, all decisions are made further up the food chain. Beaty was a temporary fix for the budget. The powers that be (Chancellor/Self/Booth/Illig et al) loosened up the purse strings after the Texa$ to give Beaty a chance. Zenger's tenure here at KU is entirely dependent on Beaty's performance. No way he doesn't give Beaty the money if given the chance.

#2013219 - 01/08/17 04:03 PM Re: Zenger=the Better 'tater? [Re: John_Brown]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
I'm fairly certain he's not concerned with what I think, but Zenger would be on an extremely short leash with me. I thought the Gill hire ended in disaster until Weis was showed up. Zenger needs to keep a picture of Weis on his office wall as a reminder.

The Texas win was welcome to everyone interested in Kansas football, but lets not overstate it, we are still 10th in a 10-team league. We need several classes building quality depth to get this program upright.

If Beaty turns out to be "the guy", I'm happy. If not, well I'm just getting too damn old to keep trying for the school to get it right.

Preview