Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2013103 - 01/05/17 08:06 AM KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Unfortunately we ended the regular season ranked dead last 128th in all of FBS.

My new years wish includes a rise to the 90th ranking for next season as we seem to be into the baby step stage here in Kansas. Almost seems like we were deliberately wanting to lead the nation in something! But also, we have been recruiting the last several off seasons players who have more speed if I recall correctly. What's up with that contradiction? Serious question, not a slam moment...is it due to excessive fumbling or poor coaching on how to run it? Didn't we have Coach Beaty doing hands on this year on this phase of football? Not just kicking the ball to them but coaching them up on how to execute?

It's off season now, snowing outside, so I was thinking about this dichotomy.

#2013104 - 01/05/17 08:38 AM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: KUCO_VOC]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
The Ohio game threw a wrench into any plans with big punt returns. Quiv fumbled twice. After that, it seemed the coaching staff made a bigger effort on just catching the ball and keeping possession rather than catching it and trying to make a play before you secure the ball.
I've been there before when in HS, we had a guy that was good at returning, but never seemed to hold on to the ball. Coaches put me back there because I could catch it, but wasn't the fastest and they demanded possession over the risk/reward of having a guy back there who didn't always catch the ball first.

Side note about returns, I saw Ryan Schadler at the gym the other day. He kind of had a freak injury that kept him out all year after surgery, but he seems to be back in good form if he comes back to the team. Was easily squatting 350+ pounds. I imagine having him next year will help in the return game (Mostly kickoff returns)

#2013145 - 01/05/17 10:20 PM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: kylecof11]
PbBut Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 66227
Schadler or one of the numerous receivers other than Quiv would help. We're getting closer with numbers that we shouldn't have to put an every down player back on returns. When we have to have Smithson do it just so we don't fumble the thing, it takes a potential big play out of the game. Ask that NFL team just east of Lawrence how big of an impact their return game has played in their success this year.

#2013150 - 01/06/17 07:46 AM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Newell posted on twitter that Phillips had been covering punt returning before Beaty took over. Wasn't aware of that.

Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 16 hours ago
FWIW, 2 KU coaches leaving so far were involved w/areas Beaty took over himself (Likens at OC, Phillips w/punt returners).

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2013167 - 01/06/17 03:09 PM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: kylecof11]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I honestly thought Bud Adams son (Gary) was the WORST PR in Hawk history until this season. Poor old Gary (72 squad) didn't have any of the physical tools our current crop of returners has, but he was able to catch the damn thing. Beaty's direct coaching of this aspect didn't to "appear" to result in anything positive either. As a matter of fact, out special teams looked more like Special Ed most of the time.

Ah well, just like the entire program...no where to go but UP!

#2013168 - 01/06/17 03:11 PM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: PbBut]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PbBut
Schadler or one of the numerous receivers other than Quiv would help. We're getting closer with numbers that we shouldn't have to put an every down player back on returns. When we have to have Smithson do it just so we don't fumble the thing, it takes a potential big play out of the game. Ask that NFL team just east of Lawrence how big of an impact their return game has played in their success this year.

I'd say go ask Bill Snyder! Or how about Mark Mangino ? The Buddha had two of the very best we ever had doing that job. (Gordon & Talib)

#2013187 - 01/07/17 04:07 PM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: beenahawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk

I'd say go ask Bill Snyder! Or how about Mark Mangino ? The Buddha had two of the very best we ever had doing that job. (Gordon & Talib)

Remember Marcus Hereford spending 2 years trying to play QB afore the Buddha found his spot returning kicks his Jr/Sr years? In that 2007, Hereford was almost guaranteeing Reesing starting drives on the 45. Plus he made that nice catch in the 4qt of the 2008 BorderWAR. Montel Cozart reminds me a lot of Marcus Hereford except the Buddha found him a spot.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2013222 - 01/08/17 06:46 PM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: John_Brown]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: John_Brown
Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Remember Marcus Hereford spending 2 years trying to play QB afore the Buddha found his spot returning kicks his Jr/Sr years? In that 2007, Hereford was almost guaranteeing Reesing starting drives on the 45. Plus he made that nice catch in the 4qt of the 2008 BorderWAR. Montel Cozart reminds me a lot of Marcus Hereford except the Buddha found him a spot.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou
Big exception is that Hereford wasn't afraid to take a hit while Cozart is.

#2013232 - 01/09/17 10:09 AM Re: KU punt returns ranking 2016 FBS [Re: 58hawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

[quote=58hawk[ Big exception is that Hereford wasn't afraid to take a hit while Cozart is. [/quote]

Affirmative....Cozart is a LONG way from Nolan Cromwell.

Preview