Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2012676 - 12/20/16 01:07 PM Likens to ASU
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Rivals reports Beaty hired Garrett Riley as QB coach. Riley does not have much coaching experience. From Rivals, "Riley earned his first collegiate position in 2012 as running backs coach at Augustana (Ill.) College...Riley was on the staff at ECU a total of three seasons, his first two as an offensive assistant working alongside Lincoln Riley. Riley joined the Kansas staff after spending the 2015 season as the outside receivers coach at East Carolina."

I am not a fan of Beatys play calling and hoped Beaty would replace Likens with a legit OC. We will see how this works out.

#2012679 - 12/20/16 01:08 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Congrats to Coach Riley! Can't wait to see what he does with our QB's. Comes from a very good coaching family.

#2012680 - 12/20/16 01:09 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Darn it you beat me.

Riley was under his brother with those good ECU offenses for a while and I think he's got the ability to coach the QBs pretty well.

#2012683 - 12/20/16 01:23 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Wendy's Free Wifi
Kyle, you can delete your own thread. Just click edit on the two posts and delete them...then it'll go away.

But yeah, I don't think this is overly surprising after Likens being demoted last year.

Riley did some decent work at ECU, but it is yet to be seen how he'll do with Stanley, Willis, Bender, and/or Starks.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2012684 - 12/20/16 01:28 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I think Beaty wants more experience as an OC so if things don't work out it will be easier for him to find a position as an OC after KU. That is good planning on his part just not sure its the best plan for KU football.

#2012686 - 12/20/16 02:17 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Thanks dgless..

I think that Beaty just doesn't have anyone he trusts just yet to run the offense. Likens did in year 1, and it wasn't that great and year 2 wasn't much better..

I think once Riley gets at least 1 year of on-field coaching at this level, than Beaty could hand the reins over to him.

#2012687 - 12/20/16 03:35 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
My wish for 2017 didn't even make it to Jan 1st...no staff changes so that the players would have a stable, yet under-experienced, coaching staff to learn from. Oh, well.

#2012688 - 12/20/16 03:59 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
My wish for 2017 didn't even make it to Jan 1st...no staff changes so that the players would have a stable, yet under-experienced, coaching staff to learn from. Oh, well.
Much ado about nothing. Likens clearly wanted more responsibility after being demoted. If he's like his brother Lincoln Riley then we have a real gem. Now I still would like to see a new OC but doesn't look like Beaty is going to do anything.

#2012689 - 12/20/16 04:14 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
jhawkblue Offline
John Brown

Not real excited that the only change to our already unproven and inexperienced staff is the promotion of a guy who only has 1 year of on field coaching experience while he was coaching outside receivers for his brother

#2012690 - 12/20/16 05:09 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Zenger suddenly realized the doubling of Beatys salary is offset by the larger salary of Likens leaving. That's a wise money decision...Likens earned his money.

#2012692 - 12/20/16 05:11 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Rivals reports Beaty hired Garrett Riley as QB coach. Riley does not have much coaching experience. From Rivals, "Riley earned his first collegiate position in 2012 as running backs coach at Augustana (Ill.) College...Riley was on the staff at ECU a total of three seasons, his first two as an offensive assistant working alongside Lincoln Riley. Riley joined the Kansas staff after spending the 2015 season as the outside receivers coach at East Carolina."

I am not a fan of Beatys play calling and hoped Beaty would replace Likens with a legit OC. We will see how this works out.
It was an internal promotion not a new hire.

#2012700 - 12/20/16 07:49 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Looks like a good move. It should be no surprise Likens was leaving. I just wish DB would give up the OC job.

#2012704 - 12/20/16 10:22 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: bigdogjac]
jhawkblue Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
Looks like a good move. It should be no surprise Likens was leaving. I just wish DB would give up the OC job.

What if anything leads you to believe this is a good move it sure isn't based on his years of proven experience as a QB coach, I would think that if he had shown the same type of abilities as his brother that he would have found some type of offensive asst position with him in Norman.

The fact is no one can actually know if he can coach or not, he has no real experience to base a decision on , all we can do is hope that DBs faith in him to coach QBs works out better than his faith in his own ability to perform the OC duties

#2012707 - 12/20/16 10:43 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I think a very interesting thing about this change is to see how Likens does at ASU.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#2012708 - 12/20/16 11:12 PM Re: Likens to ASU [Re: pizzanbeer]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Is this Arizona State he went to??? Just checking if their is another ASU.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview