NaLyssa Smith
6'2" Forward
Converse, TX
CLASS: 2018
Stars: 5
Position Rank: 1
Overall Rank: 4

Considering:
Connecticut Huskies, Louisville Cardinals, Ohio State Buckeyes, Baylor Lady Bears, Texas Longhorns, West Virginia Mountaineers, Kansas Jayhawks, South Carolina Gamecocks, Texas Tech Red Raiders

Update: Committed to Baylor

Blue Star Nationals-July 2016: Explosively athletic, versatile faceup-4 rebounds, handles and attacks in transition game; quick-leaper, elusive in key, delivers in paint; among the elite front court prospects in the class of 2018. (Olson)

DFW Marchfest-March 2016: Ultra-athletic faceup-4 performer; cleans glass and handles in transition; triple-threat creator attacks rim, draws contact and finds the charity stripe; quick-leaper with college-ready frame stretches the defense to the arc; continues to emerge as an elite prospect in the class of 2018. (Olson)

She's Ballin' Showcase-March 2015: Explosively athletic interior prospect with off-the-charts potential; quick-leaper, active on glass; emerging mid-post attack, elevates in key; shot blocker with superb mobility in uptempo game. (Olson)

Kourtney Weber
5'10" Guard
New Orleans, LA
Stars: 4
Position Rank: 7
Overall Rank: 18

Considering:
Florida State Seminoles, LSU Lady Tigers, Texas A&M Aggies, Kansas Jayhawks

Update: Committed to Florida State

John Lucas Elite 160-September 2016: Smooth off-guard brings versatility to the back court; manufactures, mid-range game creator brings results; among the elite guards in the class of 2018. (Olson)

Battle-in-the-'boro-July 2016: Agile off-guard brings consistent production in the back court; quick 1st-step attack, elevates with effortless delivery off the dribble; mid-range game producer; developing deep threat game. (Olson)

John Lucas 40/40-September 2015: Athletic off-guard with next level possibilities; quick 1st-step attack, drives and finishes in traffic; mid-range game creator with soft touch, scorer's mentality. (Olson)

Ursuline Academy-January 2015: Strong, athletic perimeter performer slashes,finishes to rim; triple-threat creator with quick 1st-step; scorer's mentality, range to the arc; handles and attacks in transition. (Olson)
Notes
LSWA 1st-team 4A All-State in 2016.

Honorable-Mention 4A All-State in 2015.

Amaya Brown
5'9" Point Guard
Stars: 4
Position Rank: 8
Overall Rank: 28

Considering:
Arizona State Sun Devils, UCLA Bruins, Florida State Seminoles, Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, New Mexico Lobos, Oklahoma State Cowgirls, Oklahoma Sooners, Oregon State Beavers, Kansas Jayhawks, SMU Mustangs, TCU Horned Frogs, Tennessee Lady Vols

Update: committed to Florida State

adidas Gauntlet-April 2016: Lead-guard with combo-game brings size to the back court; elusive off the bounce, splits defenders, gets to rim and finishes in traffic; triple-threat creator, elevates in mid-range game; active on glass, gets to the charity stripe; consistent deep threat is key to next level impact. (Olson)

adidas Nationals-July 2015: Athletic lead-guard with a scorer's mentality brings size to the back court; court awareness, distributor in uptempo; manufactures in mid-range game, delivers off the bounce. (Olson)
Notes
New Mexico Gatorade Player-of-the-Year in 2016.

Edited by INation (09/30/17 03:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Update

#2012382 - 12/12/16 09:56 PM Re: 2018 Recruiting [Re: INation]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Thanks for another great post on our recruiting targets. It's just a shame we can't get any of this information from the LJW.

Virtually everything I know about Schneider's recruiting has come from you. Thanks.

Is it possible to tell us which of the myriad of potential schools these young ladies are considering have the inside track? Where does Schneider stand in the pecking order? Are we just on the list, or do we have a legitimate shot?

Thanks again for your informative posts.

On another subject--Schneider seemed shocked last year when Lauren Aldridge announced she was transferring to Missouri. What's the real story behind this, especially since she not only left our program, but went over to the enemy?

I think Schneider's gonna get this program turned around. I was hoping for more progress than we have seen so far, and I worry we have some chemistry/attitude issues with this year's team. I'm confident we've got the right guy, and willing to be patient. However we gave Bonnie 11 years--I'm not willing to be THAT patient.

Rock Chalk!

Edited by jahawker2004 (12/12/16 09:59 PM)

#2012482 - 12/15/16 12:36 AM Re: 2018 Recruiting [Re: jahawker2004]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

I think for the most part the way the teams listed is the order of interest but that KU is in the mix.

Here's a Q&A from Aldridge.

Questions have been edited for clarity. Aldridge's responses have been lightly edited for brevity.

Q: Why’d you decide this was the right time to make the move?

Aldridge: “I don’t really want to go into the whole specifics of why I transferred, but it was just a decision me and my family came to, and we felt like it was the right time and it was the right thing to do. It was a very prayerful decision, a decision that I’m really excited about. This was the right time to do it, ... and now we’re looking forward to what’s next in Columbia.”

Q: Why was Missouri the right choice?

Aldridge: “For lots of reasons. ... They recruited me in high school.
"They just have one of the most incredible cultures that I’ve ever seen at a college program. Coach” Robin “Pingeton is amazing. I feel like I’ve known her forever, and really, I haven’t. I don’t know her that well at all. Some of the girls I’ve played with before, actually, and still continue to have great relationships with them, so we’re all excited about getting back together and being able to play together again. Just the culture of it is so unique to college basketball.”

Q: Who did you know from Missouri? Was it Cierra Porter?

Aldridge: “Cierra played with me. It would’ve been my last year of summer basketball” with the AAU team Missouri Phenom. “My dad was actually our coach, so she knows my dad really well also. Just kind of through her, and also my former teammate here at KU, Chayla Cheadle, is from Columbia, so just through both of them, I’ve gotten to know some of the girls and kind of become familiar with Columbia and their program.”

Q: You mentioned Robin had recruited you in high school. How deep did that go? Did you get a scholarship offer from Missouri in high school?

Aldridge: “No, I actually didn’t. However, I committed very early in the recruiting process, so I only had a handful of offers when I committed to KU, because I just came up to KU and I loved it. … I played for Bonnie Henrickson my freshman year, and then she got fired, and the new coach” Brandon Schneider “came in my sophomore year.
"I just felt like Kansas was the place for me. Early on in my recruiting process, I felt like that’s where God was calling me to be, so I just went ahead and made that decision. I think I had taken one visit to Mizzou, so it wasn’t like it was anything serious with any of the colleges other than Kansas.”

Q: Did you commit as a junior?

Aldridge: “I committed January of my junior year.”

Q: How do you expect it to be having to sit out a season due to the NCAA’s transfer rules?

Aldridge: “I think if you do it the right way, it’s a great way to kind of develop with the program, learning how the program works, learning the system. But then more than that, I just think it’s a huge year for you to be able to grow as a player if you use it the right way.
"Also, I’m not going to be traveling with the team, per NCAA rules, and academics are really, really huge for me, and I think that that’s a great time, whenever you’re not traveling, to really focus in on academics and really get stuff taken care of in the classroom.”

Q: When you’re looking at schools after deciding to transfer, how much do you think it was a factor that Missouri is coming off a season in which it took a step forward and made the NCAA Tournament?

Aldridge: “Obviously I wanted to go to a great program, and there were many great programs that started recruiting me after I said that I was going to transfer, but I think that mainly for me, I wouldn’t have really cared if they had lost 20 games last season. The culture there is so inviting, to me, that they could’ve done horrible, and I still would’ve been attracted to it.”

Q: Having said that, do you feel like Missouri’s program is headed in the right direction?

Aldridge: “Absolutely, and like I said, I actually know quite a few people in Columbia, just from networking and basketball and all that stuff. The people up there are extremely excited about Mizzou women’s basketball. I’m excited about where it’s headed. I’m really excited that I’m going to get to be a part of it.”

Q: Was it between Mizzou and a few others? Where there some other programs you were looking at closely as potential landing spots?

Aldridge: “There were other programs. However, I’m not going to lie to you and say that Mizzou wasn’t always where I felt like I needed to go and where I wanted to go. Even as I was talking with my parents, they were like, ‘OK, we’re just going to open up the recruiting process.’ I was like, ‘OK, but I think I know where I want to go.’ They were like, ‘Oh, OK. Well, let’s go take a visit up there,’ and so I did a couple weeks ago.
“My parents are obviously super excited about it, because they come to all my home games, and so now instead of getting home at 2 o’clock in the morning, they’re going to be getting home at about midnight. That’s going to help them out a lot. They just like the idea of me playing for my home state and having Missouri across my chest, which are all things I’m excited about, too.”

Q: Obviously Missouri and Kansas don’t play each other anymore, but being from Missouri and now having been part of both programs, you’re obviously aware of the rivalry. Is it unique or weird, or how is it being in the midst of a transfer from one side of the Border War to the other?

Aldridge: “Very unique, I would say. I don’t think this is a move that you see a whole lot. But you know, both universities offer incredible things for both their students and their student-athletes. I really enjoyed my team at Kansas, and I’m also really looking forward to what Missouri has.
“Like you said, there is a rivalry going on, and as I’ve made this decision and everything, I’ve seen both sides of it. But also, the Lawrence community has been so supportive of my decision and me leaving and where I’m headed, and the Columbia community has welcomed me with open arms. I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as it used to be, just because of the conference change. However, obviously if you ask any Jayhawk who they hate, it’s going to be the Mizzou Tigers. But like I said, I love both universities. I’m excited I was able to be a part of Kansas' " program, "and now I’m looking forward to Mizzou and their program. I’m not getting hung up on it.”

Q: You went through the coaching change at KU last year. Had you given much thought to the possibility of transferring a year ago when that happened?

Aldridge: “There was a very large window of time between when Coach Bonnie got fired and when the next coach was chosen, and I think at that point, everybody was just kind of like, ‘Oh my gosh, what’s going to happen? Are we going to get a coach anytime soon? Am I going to like this coach?’ So I think for everybody on the team, the thought process goes through your head of, ‘What if this doesn’t work out? Do I need to have other options?’
“I made the right decision by staying at Kansas” for another year, “but I’m not going to say that there wasn’t any doubt or anxiety over what new coach was going to come in.”

Q: For someone who hasn’t seen you play, how would you describe your game?

Aldridge: “I’m relentless with everything that I do. I think that’s just a general personality trait that I have. That goes with school. That goes with conditioning. That goes with basketball. I think people see that on the court. I never take a play off. Ever. That’s one of my big things. I’m always playing hard.
“A coach told me one time that you can never always come out and play good, but you can always come out and play hard, and whenever you play hard, the chances of you playing good skyrocket. So that’s kind of my philosophy. The people in Columbia are never going to see me take a play off and are always going to see me playing with heart and out of respect for the university.”

Q: As I’m sure you know, Missouri’s top two point guards are going to be seniors next year, in Lindsey Cunningham and Lianna Doty. Is that something you and Coach Pingeton talked about, the fact that there’s going to an opening for a point guard to step in in 2017-18?

Aldridge: “When you’re being recruited by somebody, that’s always a conversation that you have. In all of my recruiting trips, it’s kind of like, ‘Where do you see me fitting in? What’s the depth chart looking like?’ I think that’s a conversation you’re just obligated to have as a potential recruit.”

Q: Are you strictly a point guard? Have you ever played off guard?

Aldridge: “Mostly I’m a point guard. I refer to myself as a point guard. I think other people refer to me as a point guard. However, this season was kind of interesting, and sometimes, yes, I did play the 2. It’s fine with me. I feel like 1s and 2s now -- with the game and how it’s played, style of play – are pretty much interchangeable.
“However, I love to lead a team. That’s one of my all-time favorite things to do, is to be able to put a team on your back and say, ‘This is where we’re going, and this is how we’re going to do it.’ Not as an overbearing thing, but it just comes natural. I love leading a team, and I don’t want to say that it’s difficult to do not being the point guard, but your point guard is kind of your quarterback, so being in that position opens up the leadership opportunity more.”

Q: During this year sitting out, is there going to be any area of your game you’re really focused on improving?

Aldridge: “Absolutely. In fact, my dad and I have already sat down and made a list of things that I need to get better at between now and the next time I put on a Mizzou jersey. For starters, I think that my midrange game needs to get better. That’s like pull-up jumpers, floaters, everything in between. I think I can really improve on that. And then one of my bread and butters of basketball is being able to shoot the 3, and you can always, always, always spend more time in the gym perfecting your shot and getting extra shots up.
“From a leadership standpoint, one thing I’m working on is being able to lead people in different ways and learning what motivates some people is different from what motivates others. Learning how to reach different girls different ways is something I’m going to try to work on this year, too.”

Q: For someone who has been a pretty good 3-point shooter, does Robin’s style and the fact that she encourages 3-point shooting make her system appealing to you?

Aldridge: “Definitely. Her whole system is very appealing to me. I think that it caters to what I do to a T, and I’m really excited to be a part of it.”

#2012592 - 12/17/16 05:54 PM Re: 2018 Recruiting [Re: INation]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Another GREAT contribution INation!

Was really disappointed to see her transfer, as she was my favorite Jayhawk.

Pure speculation on my part--I think she left because of the transfers Brandon brought in last year and maybe she didn't like the new coach and his emphasis on toughness. Perhaps she didn't like the chemistry with the new players. Just speculation.

Can't wait for conference play to see how much this team has improved since last season. Don't expect to be in the top half of the Big12 standings but am counting on a noticeable improvement. I think we're really overmatched in the frontcourt and really hope Brandon can recruit some more quality depth there.

Thanks again INation. And please keep em coming!

wow--big win for ladies over Arizona today. Rock Chalk!

Edited by jahawker2004 (12/17/16 08:15 PM)

#2015463 - 03/01/17 08:49 PM Re: 2018 Recruiting [Re: INation]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Newcomer of the year! Nice

#2017133 - 05/04/17 08:03 PM Re: 2018 Recruiting [Re: INation]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Zarielle Green
6'0" Guard
Dallas, TX
Stars: 5
Position Rank: 3
Overall Rank: 13

Considering
UCLA Bruins, Georgia Lady Bulldogs, Texas A&M Aggies, Kansas Jayhawks, South Carolina Gamecocks

UIL Texas State Tournament-March 2016: Athletic big-guard with a scoring punch; superb off the dribble with body control to rim, finishes plays in traffic; offensive game extends to the arc with consistency; brilliant in transition game; continues to improve, staking claim as one of the elite guards in 2018. (Olson)

John Lucas 40/40-September 2015: Athletic off-guard brings size to the back court; manufactures, elevates in mid-range game to the arc; anticipates, defends in pressure, converts off turnovers; emerging as an elite guard in the class of 2018. (Olson)

USA U16 Trials-May 2015: Athletic and versatile combo-guard manufactures in mid-range game to the arc; uptempo producer, defends and converts in pressure; improved ball handling skills is key to further next level development. (Olson)

Nike Nationals-July 2014: Superior size in the back court, brings a scorer's mentality; quick first-step dribble-drive attack finds rim, finishes in traffic; manufactures in mid-range game; developing deep-threat consistency; big guard with off-the-charts potential. (Olson)

Preview