Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2005946 - 04/12/16 09:09 AM The First To Go 40-0?
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Could our Jayhawks be the first men's division I college basketball team to go 40-0 in a season next year? Adding Josh Jackson could be a big step towards that possibility. We already have a good nucleus of veterans returning. We have some other potentially good freshmen coming in. We also have scholarships for more recruits. It is shaping up for us to possibly have one of the greatest teams we've ever had! Yes, there are pitfalls ahead that could derail us from such a record. As usual we play some tough teams in the non-conference. To make a run through the Big 12 unscathed is never easy (it's been a while since it has been done). So I'm not predicting a 40-0 run for next year, just dreaming about the possibility.

And think of all the streaks that would be continued! Number 13 Big 12 conference title to tie UCLA and a chance to go to number 14 for a new record, NCAA Tourney streak record extended, Allen Field House streak continued, etc. Plus, we'd be guaranteed to gain again on Kentucky's total wins . If we're going to dream about next season, let's dream big!

Will it happen? Only time will tell. It is a really pleasant thought! grin

#2005947 - 04/12/16 09:14 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
LOL

#2005948 - 04/12/16 09:31 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
casey is 10000% right.

You're putting way to much emphasis on what is returning and not enough on how much Ellis meant to the team.

#2005949 - 04/12/16 09:35 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: NDballer13]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Originally Posted By: NDballer13
You're putting way to much emphasis on what is returning and not enough on how much Ellis meant to the team.

Yes.

#2005950 - 04/12/16 09:43 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
nusch Offline
Baby Jay

LOL to you all. Silly original message but the "OMG Ellis gonna be so hard to replace" stuff just as dumb. A great Jayhawk and he'll be missed, but not irreplaceable at all.

#2005952 - 04/12/16 10:00 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: nusch]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: nusch
the "OMG Ellis gonna be so hard to replace" stuff just as dumb. A great Jayhawk and he'll be missed, but not irreplaceable at all.

Nobody on this planet is irreplaceable. Even PE.

PE is the second greatest JAYHAWK of the HCBS era.

Has to be at least in the conversation when putting together a list of ALL TIME GREAT JAYHAWKS.

#2005953 - 04/12/16 10:05 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Bottom line is some on here is making Perry into one of the best Jayhawks ever. He wasn't even close. ..Although very good he was soft as Charmin toilet paper until this past season and he became soft again in the loss to Nova.

I loved the guy but I am telling you right now that Bragg by midway through next season will be every bit as good if not better than Perry was this past season. Of course the stoic michhawks of the world will debate that but just wait and see. And no Kansas won't go 40-0. But 38-2 or 37-3 might be a possibility

#2005954 - 04/12/16 10:07 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK

Has to be at least in the conversation when putting together a list of ALL TIME GREAT JAYHAWKS.

0 Final Fours

Not that great.

#2005955 - 04/12/16 10:11 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

People such as yourself wrongly underappreciate PE.

If CB plays his way into the "2nd Greatest JAYHAWK of the HCBS era" position, more power to him.

#2005957 - 04/12/16 10:34 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I hope we can make it past 2-0.

#2005959 - 04/12/16 11:06 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: JimWest]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: JimWest

0 Final Fours

Not that great.

Ahh crap. It is alive.

#2005960 - 04/12/16 11:09 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

People such as yourself wrongly underappreciate PE.

If CB plays his way into the "2nd Greatest JAYHAWK of the HCBS era" position, more power to him.

Of course he won't because Bragg won't stay 4 years. Perry wouldn't be sniffing 2nd best if Chalmers...Rush..Arthur..Wiggins. .Embiid..Oubre..Aldrich stayed all 4 years also. Perry was a good solid player nothing spectacular.

#2005962 - 04/12/16 11:18 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You must be a millennial. Only a millennial would punish a youngster for staying in school 4 years, getting his degree, hard working all the way up to top 10 all time in scoring and rebounding.

You millennials are going to be the death of us. I wonder if it was the millennials that caused the fall of rome.

#2005966 - 04/12/16 12:14 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

And you might be senile. We have discussed that before. I am 61 and been a loyal Jayhawk fan since 1970. I am no damn millennial just because I don't want to put Perry on a Top 10 All Time Jayhawk pedestal.

I am not punishing him for staying 4 years in fact I admire him for that. But that still doesn't mean he would rank 2nd best under Bill at Kansas if the others I mentioned stayed.

If staying 4 years being just a fair performer for 3 years and really good this past year makes you an all time Jayhawk great so be it. It's my opinion he ranks somewhere in the 2nd ten ..You are like the Hawklin of this board and think your opinion is all that matters. Guess what it's not.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/12/16 12:15 PM)

#2005967 - 04/12/16 12:26 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
nusch Offline
Baby Jay

Perry is just a slightly better version of Wayne Semien. Kansas dudes, good kids, sturdy hawks. Perry never really embraced the leader role but carried himself with maturity and grace and that's commendable. But I always wonder what could have been if he ever got mean and tough and take over the team. Great kid and I'll remember him for a couple of years, but won't ever be on a quick list of all timers.

And spare us the old person BS about school. They aint come here to play school. Couldnt care less what they do off the court. They here to ball that's all.

#2005968 - 04/12/16 12:34 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
But that still doesn't mean he would rank 2nd best under Bill at Kansas if the others I mentioned stayed.

I don't deal in "ifs." I live in reality. Come join us in reality sometime.

#2005969 - 04/12/16 12:36 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: nusch]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: nusch
Perry is just a slightly better version of Wayne Semien. Kansas dudes, good kids, sturdy hawks.

This is the first time I have ever heard someone try to use "slightly better than WS" as a slam.

Good work d(n)oosh.

#2005971 - 04/12/16 02:52 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

DMan stayed in school for 4 years. DMan holds our scoring title. Do you think we should put an asterisk(*) next to his name in the record books because he stayed in school for 4 years.

#2005972 - 04/12/16 02:55 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

But that still doesn't mean he would rank 2nd best under Bill at Kansas if the others I mentioned stayed.

I don't deal in "ifs." I live in reality. Come join us in reality sometime.

Yeah a boring mundane reality. But hey let's get those solid Kansas kids that stay 4 years ...win a few more B12 Titles but never make another Final 4....Yeehaw.

#2005973 - 04/12/16 02:55 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: JimWest]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

0 Final Fours

Not that great.

You can go ahead and lay that blame with the long list of OAD's PE had to play alongside.

#2005974 - 04/12/16 02:59 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Lol...yeah that's right.

#2005975 - 04/12/16 03:01 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yeah a boring mundane reality. But hey let's get those solid Kansas kids that stay 4 years ...win a few more B12 Titles but never make another Final 4....Yeehaw.

Are you suggesting that in hindsight we should not have recruited PE? Is that what you are suggesting?

#2005976 - 04/12/16 03:10 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

No I will. type real slow so you can follow. All I am saying is Perry is not one of KU's top 10 all time greats. He might be Bill's 2nd or 3rd best but Kansas basketball predates his era bigtime. If Bill could recruit 5 Perry Ellis type players at the same time would probably get to a Final 4 every 4 years but would not win the Big 12 every year and might miss the tournament 2 of that 4 year span.

Once Bill went the one and done route he got stuck in that vicious cycle..He has to keep doing it to give Kansas a shot to win it all every year. Recruiting 5 Perrys at once would make that impossible. Seems your real complaint should be taken up with Self..He is the one that started recruiting the OADs..I don't recall Roi ever doing that at Kansas.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/12/16 03:11 PM)

#2005977 - 04/12/16 04:04 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
You must be a millennial. Only a millennial would punish a youngster for staying in school 4 years, getting his degree, hard working all the way up to top 10 all time in scoring and rebounding.

You millennials are going to be the death of us. I wonder if it was the millennials that caused the fall of rome.
+1

#2005984 - 04/12/16 04:50 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Man it must be a weird day. We get JJ and all the haters come out. Hating each other that is on the board.

#2005988 - 04/12/16 06:04 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

No one is hating ya sorry sucka...lol. You guys are way too sensitive over here. But I will try to treat you all better. Didn't realize that stating in my opinion that Ellis isn't one of the best Jayhawk ballers ever was hating.

#2005990 - 04/12/16 09:32 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
WOW! What a player and student PE was in his 4 years. I really enjoyed watching him get better every year. But, I wouldn't put him in the top 10. No doubt he will be considered one of our top players, just not sure where he will fall. The more I think of great KU players the further he falls down that list, I do think we will miss him, but BS will do as KU has always done, reload.

#2005993 - 04/12/16 10:05 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Now you're a hater also big dog. .

#2005998 - 04/12/16 11:22 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
40-0 ain't gonna happen, but already CAN'T WAIT for KU b-ball to start up again.

GREAT to hear Svi is coming back.

As for Ellis, I got nothing bad to say about him. Great kid. Great player. But his personality and style of play was quiet. Not making a Final Four doesn't help, though he can't be faulted for that.

In HCBS's era, I first think of Sherron, Mario, Tyshawn, Withey and T-Rob. Not that they're all better KU players than Perry, but I guess I felt more emotionally tied to them, for whatever reason.

Ellis' consistency is gonna be VERY hard to replace next year...probably the biggest concern going into next year.

* * Forgot to add Kevin Young...what a fun player to watch was he. Same for Russ Rob, Tyrell and Morningstar. And EJ at times.

#2006000 - 04/13/16 12:22 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: casey]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: casey
LOL

This has primarily been the response of anyone who has responded directly to the original post. The basic response is that it can never happen. I didn't say in my original post that it would happen. I think that the probability is quite low. But it is going to happen some year by some team. We might as well hope that it will be our Jayhawks and however slim it might be, there is a possibility that it might happen this next year. What is wrong with dreaming or hoping? I look forward to the possibility each year that we will win the national championship.

I've been a fan for 63 years, so in a sense I've been disappointed 61 times. I just missed the 1952 championship by a few months as a fan. Having said that, I'm still a happy Jayhawk fan. It's been a bumpy ride a few times, especially during the days of Dick Harp and Ted Owens. They had some really good teams and some not so good. During their 27 seasons we had a total of 6 losing seasons. We've not had a losing season since. The closest we came was Roy's first year at 19-12, That's the only season we've had less than 22 wins during the Brown, Williams and Self era, a span of 33 seasons (Only 6 losing seasons in 60 years!).

I've seen a few really great players and a whole lot of really good players during my years as a fan. The number of really good players far exceeds 10 and it is really hard to try and list them in an order. I think Ellis is on that list of really good players. We will miss him. But we continuously get really good players. I'm hoping for a national championship next year and I'm dreaming of a 40-0 record. It's not impossible. It will happen some day. Why not by the Jayhawks, if not next year, then the next year, etc.

Good grief, very few teams have the hope or potential that we have year after year after year. If we are going to dream at all, let's dream big. Most of the posters on here are basically positive. But there's a small few who are really down in the mouth posters. They irritate me. They have the right to post as such, but they're not very good Jayhawk fans. And yes, I understand that some years we are better than other years. So if you want to knock my dreams and hopes, go ahead and do so, that's your right. But I'm going to smile at you and continue to enjoy my Jayhawks. smile

#2006007 - 04/13/16 09:38 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Props to you Jayhawk1952 for being a KU fan for 63 years. I can't match that. Myself started watching KU basketball in 1965 at the ripe old age of 7.

#2006014 - 04/13/16 11:05 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: 58hawk]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Props to you Jayhawk1952 for being a KU fan for 63 years. I can't match that. Myself started watching KU basketball in 1965 at the ripe old age of 7.

Thanks for the props. You started younger than I did, age 12. So maybe you can pass me some day in total years of being a fan. But be aware, I am shooting for reaching 90+. My dad died at age 94 and his sister at 98. Who knows, perhaps I might reach 80 years or more as a fan!

#2006015 - 04/13/16 11:29 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952

Thanks for the props. You started younger than I did, age 12. So maybe you can pass me some day in total years of being a fan. But be aware, I am shooting for reaching 90+. My dad died at age 94 and his sister at 98. Who knows, perhaps I might reach 80 years or more as a fan!
RCJH!

#2006020 - 04/13/16 08:31 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: jayhawklouie]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: jayhawklouie
Not making a Final Four doesn't help, though he can't be faulted for that.

Why not?

Solely Bill Self's fault then? Ok, I'll accept that.

#2006021 - 04/13/16 09:14 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

KYS please.

#2006025 - 04/14/16 08:53 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Topic "The First To Go 40-0" is a ridiculously large set up to fail for a team that still has three openings to fill for 2016-7. Can't we mainly enjoy another successful season with Bill Self/staff coaching and let the achievements come based upon his great efforts?

And I earlier thought the JW success level definition was unrealistic!

#2006026 - 04/14/16 09:43 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Topic "The First To Go 40-0" is a ridiculously large set up to fail for a team that still has three openings to fill for 2016-7. Can't we mainly enjoy another successful season with Bill Self/staff coaching and let the achievements come based upon his great efforts?

And I earlier thought the JW success level definition was unrealistic!

Perhaps you don't understand what I said. I didn't predict a 40-0 record for next year. I only shared it as a dream.

I did point out that with some really good veterans returning, with some really good talent coming in, and I add that we have some returnees who didn't play a great deal but have some great potential, we are going to have a really good team next year no matter who fills the remaining scholarships. Those "unknowns" can make us even better but not worse. And I do point out SOME of the pit falls.

Unlike a number of posters on this site, I have totally enjoyed this past season. But it is over. It is time to look forward to next year, as I always do no matter what our past season has been like.

Perhaps you are fearful of jinxing the team for next year. There is so such thing as jinxing a team or even a player by what you say, not even at the free throw line as some commentators often refer to when calling a game.

So I don't believe that your statement, "'The First To Go 40-0'" is a ridiculously large set up to fail for a team that still has three openings to fill for 2016-17," has any validity. Our Jayhawks might do it however slim the possibility is and dreaming about it in no way sets them up for a "ridiculously large set up to fail.

I believe our Hawks are going to have a great season next year whether or not they go 40-0! The potential for them to be a great team is very real. Hey, and if they're not, there's always the next year. smile

Edited by Jayhawk1952 (04/14/16 09:45 AM)

#2006028 - 04/14/16 09:57 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

My comments regarding the topic NAME wasn't meant to be a criticism of your dream comments. Simply a comparison of posters unrealistic actual ideas. Yes you dreamed that but for example JW definition of success is very narrow. So is 40-0. Nothing but being realistic about actual success ideas for 2016-7. And my comments are still very valid. Don't think I said one word against you and your dream.

#2006032 - 04/14/16 10:18 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

My comments regarding the topic NAME wasn't meant to be a criticism of your dream comments. Simply a comparison of posters unrealistic actual ideas. Yes you dreamed that but for example JW definition of success is very narrow. So is 40-0. Nothing but being realistic about actual success ideas for 2016-7. And my comments are still very valid. Don't think I said one word against you and your dream.

I don't think that saying, "Our Jayhawks might do it however slim the possibility is and dreaming about it," is "unrealistic." It is going to happen some year. So suggesting it MIGHT be KU next year, however slim the possibility is, is not unrealistic. Improbable, yes, unrealistic, no. And I don't believe I ever stated 40-0 as my measure of success. That would be extremely successful, but it isn't my measure of success. Our recent season fits my measure of success. It wasn't as successful as I had hoped, but it was successful.

#2006034 - 04/14/16 10:20 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'll settle for #13 and a trip to the FF.

#2006035 - 04/14/16 10:21 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I would too. But adding a national championship would be even better! That's including # 13, something that I'd really like us to achieve.

Edited by Jayhawk1952 (04/14/16 10:26 AM)

#2006036 - 04/14/16 10:30 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I would too. But adding a national championship would be even better! That's including # 13, something that I'd really like us to achieve.
1952, you are missing my points completely. So I will go along with this. 40-0 is not realistic but moderate perfection. Ok? Also not my definition of what you said at all.

No dream is unrealistic btw.

#2006041 - 04/14/16 11:25 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

My dream is Taylor Swift will take me for her own. Probably unrealistic.

#2006047 - 04/14/16 01:39 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

My dream is Taylor Swift will take me for her own. Probably unrealistic.
But not impossible. 😍 Love is blind you know...

#2006065 - 04/14/16 09:00 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

40-0 is not realistic but moderate perfection.

How would you define complete perfection?

#2006067 - 04/14/16 10:45 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Jim West reply was what I expected when I said moderate. Because he is an idiot...next year doofus

#2006068 - 04/15/16 04:38 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Jim West reply was what I expected when I said moderate. Because he is an idiot...next year doofus

Afraid to answer the question? Claiming that 40-0 is only "moderate perfection" would seem to be the idiot/doofus statement to me.

#2006069 - 04/15/16 06:46 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I termed it "moderate" for farmhand Jimmy. Go water the chickens now.

#2006070 - 04/15/16 07:21 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kanfucious Offline
Prairie Warrior

Not to be pessimistic, but I'd take Terrance Ferguson over any wing prospect in this class, actually over AW as well had AW been in this class. Shoots better, as good an athlete, more alpha-dog.

Whoever gets Ferguson, it will be the steal of the class and how in the hell he was ever a Bama commit, who knows.

#2006080 - 04/15/16 09:26 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You are behind the times. Ferguson committed to Zona yesterday.

#2006082 - 04/15/16 10:39 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Kanfucious Offline
Prairie Warrior

You are behind the times. Ferguson committed to Zona yesterday.

Then 2 things:

1. Zona just got the most electric player in the class

2. Thank God he didn't go to UNC

#2006083 - 04/15/16 10:43 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

So if he is the most electric player why is J. Jackson still ranked #1 on Rivals.

#2006084 - 04/15/16 11:14 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Huh? English please.

#2006085 - 04/15/16 12:33 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: JimWest]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Huh? English please.
1. JimWest = farm boy Jimmie.
2. He is leaving now = watering and/or feeding chickens on his western Kansas farm. Or is it a pig farm?
3. Ever heard of extreme perfection?

#2006086 - 04/15/16 01:51 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

3. Ever heard of extreme perfection?

I'm asking you to provide your definition. But you seem to be so inarticulate that you can't even express your own thoughts.

#2006087 - 04/15/16 02:10 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: 58hawk]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

58 it just dawned on me that I've been a KU fan for 64 years! When the past season started it stood at 63. Guess I forgot to add the current year! blush

#2006088 - 04/15/16 02:31 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Farm boy Jimmy- extreme perfection = 80-0. Plain enough for even a farmer like you to understand?

#2006089 - 04/15/16 03:10 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Are you calling Jimmy a farm boy because his butt has been plowed on numerous occasions. If so bravo sir...if not bravo anyway.

#2006111 - 04/16/16 11:12 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Never say never at going 40-0, but it is highly unlikely.

#2010740 - 10/12/16 09:02 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: bigdogjac]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I started this original post on 04/12/16. I have to post on it again. I just read Matt Tait's 10/11/16 Notes and Nuggets on the KU web site. The following responses were made concerning going 40-0:

"Suzi Marshall, 'I'm predicting an undefeated National Championship season for Kansas.'"

"Sae Thirtysix, 'KoD. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.'"

"Suzi Marshall, 'I'm going with it, until proven otherwise.'"

"Jesse Johnson, 'Me too! Just like every year...'"'

"Dan Burns, "Suzi, I'm the guy that runs a Facebook page called "University of Kansas - KU Jayhawk Basketball" and presently have about 11.5K followers, all organic. This is my prediction (hope) as well. I got the same "don't count your chickens before they hatch" so I explained "we're not talking chickens, we're talking hawks!"ning going 40-0.'"

At this point I'm even a little bit more excited about the possibility of going 40-0. We'll find more out about that early on in the season when we take on Duke, November 15. Another big test will be UK on January 28. Of course going through the Big 12 unscathed hasn't been done since 2001-02 when we were the only team who has accomplished that. So running the conference undefeated isn't an easy task. Going 40-0 through a season has never been accomplished in men's basketball. That in itself says it is an extremely difficult task. It will happen someday. This would be a great season to accomplish it. I'm still not predicting it, just saying that it is a possibility and I'm not the only one thinking so. It would be a great, exciting never-to-be-forgotten accomplishment. Sometimes dreams come true. I wanted to point out that I had brought this possibility up early on. Yeah, I know, there will be a bunch of negative comments made in which they say I'm crazy. So be it. We all have a right to make our own comments.

#2010741 - 10/12/16 09:36 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You are not crazy. .but KU is not going 40-0. Heck we might start 0-2. I would be happy with a 38-2 or a 37-3 record. Just win the last game and color me pink errrr crimson and blue.

#2010742 - 10/12/16 10:23 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I agree that winning the last game is the bottom line, but that last game being the 40th win would be one for the ages. Improbable? Probably. Impossible? NO!

Edited by Jayhawk1952 (10/12/16 10:24 AM)

#2010743 - 10/12/16 11:08 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think it will be done, Wichita St started 35-0, we made it to 38-0. The players did say that besides the FF pressure, the thought of going for 40 starts mounting. Either a super talents team or s very experienced team with added talent. Y'all got those going for you. So much can go wrong, a hot team or a few bad calls can ruin it. It will be done though. dUKe has mega talent and depth but they are not going through that ACC without a loss. If they do crown them.

#2010744 - 10/12/16 11:16 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KYBLUEBLOOD]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

KYBB, the more I read your comments the more I like you. You make a lot of sense, certainly more than some of our own posters. Unlike a few others, I welcome you to this board anytime you want to make a comment. I have no doubt that trying to run the table puts a lot of pressure on a team which not only makes it more difficult but adds to the accomplishment.

Edited by Jayhawk1952 (10/12/16 11:19 AM)

#2010745 - 10/12/16 11:21 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think going 40-0 would be a greater accomplishment than winning the National Title, which of course would be part of it.

#2010746 - 10/12/16 12:18 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Some team, some time will go 40-0. But it will not be KANSAS this season. For no other reason than we stink in the Champions Classic. So until we get away from the Champions classic........

#2010749 - 10/12/16 01:51 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

KYBB, the more I read your comments the more I like you. You make a lot of sense, certainly more than some of our own posters. Unlike a few others, I welcome you to this board anytime you want to make a comment. I have no doubt that trying to run the table puts a lot of pressure on a team which not only makes it more difficult but adds to the accomplishment.

Thank you. Yea, some were pretty rough on me. Thanks a lot.

#2010750 - 10/12/16 03:10 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KYBLUEBLOOD]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KYBLUEBLOOD

Thank you. Yea, some were pretty rough on me. Thanks a lot.

I remember one in particular that really jumped on you, BUT he has done the same to me and to a lot of others. I don't think he's very well liked on this board. I'm not going to honor him by mentioning his name.

#2010751 - 10/12/16 03:27 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You better not be referring to me sucka...oh wait I am well liked...nevermind..

#2010752 - 10/12/16 03:29 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Some team, some time will go 40-0. But it will not be KANSAS this season. For no other reason than we stink in the Champions Classic. So until we get away from the Champions classic........

You well may be correct. But then again you may be totally off base. I've not said we'll go 40-0 this year, only speculated that there is a possibility. You are absolutely stating that we can't and won't go 40-0. What we've done in the Champions Classic or in any other avenue in the past is not an indication of what we will do this year. Each year is a season to itself. There is even no guarantee that we will win the Big 12 championship this year just because we've done so the past 12 years. But I do expect us to win it again to make it 13 and tie UCLA for the record of conference championships. Then I would want one more to have the record to ourselves. I still believe that it is within the realm of possibility that we will go 40-0 this year. I believe our guys should think they can and make it their goal. Jackson has certainly stated that he believes it. Only time will tell if it happens. Some years that goal is more realistic than in other years. I believe this is one of those years that it is more realistic. It would have happened in '08 if we hadn't lost three conference games that we shouldn't. But those things happen, that's why 40-0 is an elusive goal, but it can and will happen some day. So, why not this year? I'll dream until and if we lose.

#2010753 - 10/12/16 04:14 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think if you beat dUKe you have a chance. Now if they stay healthy if K plays the Giles and they have Bolden playing well, they own the Middle and could be very very good. My thoughts on Giles is he should get healthy and sit, 3 knee operations. Wait on the draft, before this injury he was #1 on draft boards. Risk another injury and lose millions. We'll see if K is more about player or dUKe. Kansas along with dUKe are the top 2.

I can't remember any particular one, there were many and each outdoing one another as far as being jerks. There were a couple ok. The way I saw it was no way people like that represent Kansas or KU people. I got a lot though. Private messages too that were
not suited for an ISIS member.

#2010763 - 10/12/16 11:41 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: KYBLUEBLOOD]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KYBLUEBLOOD
I think if you beat dUKe you have a chance. Now if they stay healthy if K plays the Giles and they have Bolden playing well, they own the Middle and could be very very good. My thoughts on Giles is he should get healthy and sit, 3 knee operations. Wait on the draft, before this injury he was #1 on draft boards. Risk another injury and lose millions. We'll see if K is more about player or dUKe. Kansas along with dUKe are the top 2.

I can't remember any particular one, there were many and each outdoing one another as far as being jerks. There were a couple ok. The way I saw it was no way people like that represent Kansas or KU people. I got a lot though. Private messages too that were
not suited for an ISIS member.

I'm sorry that you have been treated that way, but the one I'm referring to had some pretty bad things to say to me and I know he did you no favors. I am excited about the new season. Of course I'm excited every year and always am hoping for good things to happen. But now entering my 65th season as a Jayhawk fan I realize that it doesn't always turn out as well as I hope, but sometimes it's even better than I hoped. Good luck to your Wildcats, just as long as they don't beat us. smile

#2010767 - 10/13/16 09:21 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Again I hope you're not referring to me 52. Because I have been nothing but but nice to both you and ky. Sure I occasionally tease the both of you.

I too am excited for this version of Jayhawk hoops. But I hope Self can evolve and get over his one fallacy he repeats on a yearly basis. Thats the fallacy to play the senior player with average to good talent over the new recruit with superior athletic talent.

Again like Lucas over Diallo last season. Sure the tried and proven method got that team to an Elite 8. But who is to say if Diallo got enough on court playing time that last years team could have won it all. Of course Landon is going to get the majority of the game minutes early on at the 5.

But will Bill give Udoka his fair share.of real game minutes necessary to unleash his massive potential. I heard the guy a beast in practice and that scrimmage game a month or so ago. Hopefully this season's team gets to the promised land of a 4th NCAA National Championship. Because I hate to see our beloved Jayhawks trailing teams like Connecticut in that category. Rock Chalk ya muthas.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/13/16 09:22 AM)

#2010772 - 10/13/16 01:17 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks 1952, that's a lot of years to support your team .
PHOH is a good guy too. I remember Lobster was about the only other that's wasn't in attack mode all the time.

Larry Brown is in Lexington as I type, Cal giving a press conference I hope Larry sticks around for Madness tomorrow night.Cal said we may start 4 freshmen so it will take awhile, if they do gell. Fox and Adebayo are Wall-Cousins light. Not as good as those two but very close. I'm hoping he creates a position for Larry if he could get it approved. Kenny Payne is making 750k this year as assistant, not sure Larry would do it for that but I'm sure he doesn't need money badly either.

I do hope Self plays the stud freshman at least enough to be ready to go in March. Diallo had 12 points 7 rebounds for the Pelicans in about 20-25 minutes. Sometimes you need that crazy athleticism to get that board once you go deep in tourney, we will never know if Diallo could have or not.

Beat dUKe, and you could be undefeated coming to Rupp. We will still be very young and who knows what they will be. Overrated right now, never played a game for 6 of them, 5 who will have to contribute. I would have them about 15 to start.

Edited by KYBLUEBLOOD (10/13/16 01:42 PM)

#2010773 - 10/13/16 01:46 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Again I hope you're not referring to me 52. Because I have been nothing but but nice to both you and ky. Sure I occasionally tease the both of you.

I too am excited for this version of Jayhawk hoops. But I hope Self can evolve and get over his one fallacy he repeats on a yearly basis. Thats the fallacy to play the senior player with average to good talent over the new recruit with superior athletic talent.

Again like Lucas over Diallo last season. Sure the tried and proven method got that team to an Elite 8. But who is to say if Diallo got enough on court playing time that last years team could have won it all. Of course Landon is going to get the majority of the game minutes early on at the 5.

But will Bill give Udoka his fair share.of real game minutes necessary to unleash his massive potential. I heard the guy a beast in practice and that scrimmage game a month or so ago. Hopefully this season's team gets to the promised land of a 4th NCAA National Championship. Because I hate to see our beloved Jayhawks trailing teams like Connecticut in that category. Rock Chalk ya muthas.

Good grief no Phog! I'm referring to someone who I don't think is even a Jayhawk fan and has nothing good to say to anyone or about anyone except himself.

#2010780 - 10/13/16 03:27 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
oldalum Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I remember going undefeated in conference one year under Roy. I don't think we won another game after that. Seemed like they were so concentrated on the conference goal that once it was reached they had a big letdown. Undefeated is a lot of pressure. I thought that long home streak was a chain around our necks.

#2010785 - 10/13/16 03:53 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
Went the Final Four the year they went undefeated in conference I'm pretty sure. Losing to Maryland in the Semi's when Gooden was in foul trouble.

#2010792 - 10/13/16 10:43 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: oldalum]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: oldalum
I remember going undefeated in conference one year under Roy. I don't think we won another game after that. Seemed like they were so concentrated on the conference goal that once it was reached they had a big letdown. Undefeated is a lot of pressure. I thought that long home streak was a chain around our necks.
'

We went to the Final Four that year. Undefeated is a lot of pressure, but it can be overcome. It all depends on the team, players and coaches.

#2010794 - 10/14/16 09:52 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

That team was awesome. Not only did they go undefeated through conference play. They also destroyed conference competition. Beating Mizzou by 30...KSuck by 25...actually just cruised through that undefeated conference season. All was good until Gooden decided not to show up against Maryland. Wilcox punked Drew all over the place.

Here's an odd fact. Did you realize that every great coach that didnt previously have a National Championship actually got their first by either defeating KU in the title game or through them in the National Semi Final. Note the following :

Coach K's first National Title-Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 1991.

Coach Gary Williams first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Semi Final game in 2002.

Coach Jim Boeheim's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2003.

And eechh...Coach John Calapari's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2012. The only redeeming fact on that one is Bill got him first in 2008.

Actually we could go further back with Texas Western under Don Haskins getting their one and only title in 66 going through Kansas in the regional finals. Oh I guess Jay Wright did the same with Nova last yr beating Kansas in route to his first National Title also. Dayumm those are some strange factoids.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/14/16 09:53 AM)

#2010796 - 10/14/16 10:42 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Did we really have to get the "eechh"?

Our uniforms are going to suck. Checkerboard pattern, players have to revolt No one likes them, Mitch Barnhart sucks, hired Billy Gillespie, Joker Phillips and his retarded deal with Bob Stoops. These are his deal and he is a hardheaded about making a change.

Edited by KYBLUEBLOOD (10/14/16 10:43 AM)

#2010797 - 10/14/16 10:52 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

The eechh was directed at Calismelly...not Kentucky. I have actually always got along with Kentucky fans. I have almost thrown hands with Turdheels and Duke fans however.

I remember watching the round of 32 game in 07 when we beat your boys at a sports bar in Peachtree City, Ga. A older Kentucky fan that frequented that bar had his older 2 aunts in there. One was somehow related to Rupp. She was getting mad at me because she thought KU was running up the score in that game. But she was gracious in losing.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/14/16 10:59 AM)

#2010798 - 10/14/16 11:20 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

That team was awesome. Not only did they go undefeated through conference play. They also destroyed conference competition. Beating Mizzou by 30...KSuck by 25...actually just cruised through that undefeated conference season. All was good until Gooden decided not to show up against Maryland. Wilcox punked Drew all over the place.

Here's an odd fact. Did you realize that every great coach that didnt previously have a National Championship actually got their first by either defeating KU in the title game or through them in the National Semi Final. Note the following :

Coach K's first National Title-Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 1991.

Coach Gary Williams first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Semi Final game in 2002.

Coach Jim Boeheim's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2003.

And eechh...Coach John Calapari's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2012. The only redeeming fact on that one is Bill got him first in 2008.

Actually we could go further back with Texas Western under Don Haskins getting their one and only title in 66 going through Kansas in the regional finals. Oh I guess Jay Wright did the same with Nova last yr beating Kansas in route to his first National Title also. Dayumm those are some strange factoids.

I guess the moral of what you've shared is that KU should not go up against a team in the Final Four with a great coach who hasn't won all the marbles!

#2010799 - 10/14/16 11:23 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Tubby's last game? He was dealing with Minnesota before he left us high and dry. He was wheeling and dealing behind our backs. It was good that you ran Tubby off until we hired the drunken abuser, Billy Clyde Gillespie.

#2010804 - 10/14/16 12:19 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I guess the moral of what you've shared is that KU should not go up against a team in the Final Four with a great coach who hasn't won all the marbles!

No...I guess the main point was most of those coaches especially K..Boeheim..and G. Williams has put much more time coaching their respective teams without a title tgan Roy did when those matchups occurred. Just strange coincidental stuff.

#2010806 - 10/14/16 12:23 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

No...I guess the main point was most of those coaches especially K..Boeheim..and G. Williams has put much more time coaching their respective teams without a title tgan Roy did when those matchups occurred. Just strange coincidental stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. People need to take that into consideration before they badmouth Bill.

#2010807 - 10/14/16 12:29 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Yes that was my point. And I am not according to that dum dum michhawk worried about it taking until 2028 for our next title. I hope it doesn't but I won't lose any sleep over it. Michhawk actually believes if an individual doesn't agree with his narrow way of thinking then that individual is a millenial.

Nope I am fairly positive that about 95% of the population does not agree with Michhawk on many things. I picture him as one of thise doomsday hoarder guys.

#2010809 - 10/14/16 03:21 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yes that was my point. And I am not according to that dum dum michhawk worried about it taking until 2028 for our next title. I hope it doesn't but I won't lose any sleep over it. Michhawk actually believes if an individual doesn't agree with his narrow way of thinking then that individual is a millenial.

Nope I am fairly positive that about 95% of the population does not agree with Michhawk on many things. I picture him as one of thise doomsday hoarder guys.

I really like the fact that Bill got to his first National Championship much quicker than these other top notch.coaches. I desire a nat. championship as much as anyone but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over not winning one. These last 33 years have been a great run. And I have no doubt that Bill will win more nat. championships. Going 40-0 this year would certainly guarantee it! And I'm not losing any sleep over going 40-0. If it happens, great, if not there's always next year. smile

#2011338 - 11/11/16 11:43 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Nice prediction....

#2011340 - 11/11/16 11:54 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
OMGJayhawks Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Texas
ummm not this year!!! Maybe 35-5 this year!!

#2011358 - 11/12/16 02:46 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: OMGJayhawks]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

If they had gone 40-0, it would have guaranteed a spectacular year. They can still have a spectacular year. Winning their 13th consecutive Big 12 championship and a national championship are still possible and viable goals. Do that and no one can argue that it wasn't a spectacular season.

#2031941 - 07/03/18 02:37 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

There's not been much talk about going 40 - 0 for a while. An interesting article has brought it up again. If anyone can do it, the 2018-19 team is probably the most capable. I'm not predicting it, but think it could happen. Here's the article: https://kckingdom.com/2018/07/03/kansas-...old-prediction/
Some might think talking about it will hurt the team's chances. I don't believe that. Whether they do or not depends totally upon their play in each and every game.

#2031943 - 07/03/18 05:58 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
As if getting tagged #1 in pre-season polls wasn't jinx enough, you had to add the ole "40-0" nail to our coffin...and then try to get out of taking the blame by laying it off on "depends totally upon their play in each and every game".

C'mon man, at least be willing to take responsibility for your actions!
LOL

#2031944 - 07/03/18 05:59 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

No team will ever go 40-0....EVER...Hell Sparty will probably beat us in Indianapolis..

Edited by PHOGUSHER (07/03/18 06:00 PM)

#2031949 - 07/03/18 07:41 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Appy, I simply don't believe in jinxes. However, if our Hawks lose a game this coming year and they play a re ally great game and still lose, I'll accept the responsibility! cool I 'd love to see us go 40 - 0, but am certainly not willing to predict it. I do disagree with the author of the article saying, That’s right. The Jayhawks will go undefeated this season. Not only will they go unbeaten, but they will mow over the competition. Let’s face it, anything less will be a huge disappointment for Kansas Basketball. crazy If we have a great season and don't go 40 - 0, it can't be a "huge disappointment."

My disappointment would come in not winning # 15 conference championship and a national championship. I'd think that we will be quite capable of doing both, again, provided our guys jell and play like they are really hungry.

And Phoggy, some day a men's NCAA basketball team will go 40 - 0. grin It certainly won't be an easy task, the days of a single team dominance is over. Will we do it? I hope so, but who knows? Better us than someone else. It may not happen in my lifetime or yours, but it will happen, unless the NCAA backs off from a 40 game schedule. That probably won't happen.

#2031954 - 07/03/18 10:04 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Never going to happen.

#2031962 - 07/04/18 03:01 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

To quote a legendary actor who played in The Hangover
"You guys are f#cking retarded".

Edited by Jman1 (07/04/18 03:01 PM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >