Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2010780 - 10/13/16 03:27 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
oldalum Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I remember going undefeated in conference one year under Roy. I don't think we won another game after that. Seemed like they were so concentrated on the conference goal that once it was reached they had a big letdown. Undefeated is a lot of pressure. I thought that long home streak was a chain around our necks.

#2010785 - 10/13/16 03:53 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
Went the Final Four the year they went undefeated in conference I'm pretty sure. Losing to Maryland in the Semi's when Gooden was in foul trouble.

#2010792 - 10/13/16 10:43 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: oldalum]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: oldalum
I remember going undefeated in conference one year under Roy. I don't think we won another game after that. Seemed like they were so concentrated on the conference goal that once it was reached they had a big letdown. Undefeated is a lot of pressure. I thought that long home streak was a chain around our necks.
'

We went to the Final Four that year. Undefeated is a lot of pressure, but it can be overcome. It all depends on the team, players and coaches.

#2010794 - 10/14/16 09:52 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
That team was awesome. Not only did they go undefeated through conference play. They also destroyed conference competition. Beating Mizzou by 30...KSuck by 25...actually just cruised through that undefeated conference season. All was good until Gooden decided not to show up against Maryland. Wilcox punked Drew all over the place.

Here's an odd fact. Did you realize that every great coach that didnt previously have a National Championship actually got their first by either defeating KU in the title game or through them in the National Semi Final. Note the following :

Coach K's first National Title-Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 1991.

Coach Gary Williams first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Semi Final game in 2002.

Coach Jim Boeheim's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2003.

And eechh...Coach John Calapari's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2012. The only redeeming fact on that one is Bill got him first in 2008.

Actually we could go further back with Texas Western under Don Haskins getting their one and only title in 66 going through Kansas in the regional finals. Oh I guess Jay Wright did the same with Nova last yr beating Kansas in route to his first National Title also. Dayumm those are some strange factoids.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/14/16 09:53 AM)

#2010796 - 10/14/16 10:42 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Did we really have to get the "eechh"?

Our uniforms are going to suck. Checkerboard pattern, players have to revolt No one likes them, Mitch Barnhart sucks, hired Billy Gillespie, Joker Phillips and his retarded deal with Bob Stoops. These are his deal and he is a hardheaded about making a change.

Edited by KYBLUEBLOOD (10/14/16 10:43 AM)

#2010797 - 10/14/16 10:52 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

The eechh was directed at Calismelly...not Kentucky. I have actually always got along with Kentucky fans. I have almost thrown hands with Turdheels and Duke fans however.

I remember watching the round of 32 game in 07 when we beat your boys at a sports bar in Peachtree City, Ga. A older Kentucky fan that frequented that bar had his older 2 aunts in there. One was somehow related to Rupp. She was getting mad at me because she thought KU was running up the score in that game. But she was gracious in losing.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/14/16 10:59 AM)

#2010798 - 10/14/16 11:20 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
That team was awesome. Not only did they go undefeated through conference play. They also destroyed conference competition. Beating Mizzou by 30...KSuck by 25...actually just cruised through that undefeated conference season. All was good until Gooden decided not to show up against Maryland. Wilcox punked Drew all over the place.

Here's an odd fact. Did you realize that every great coach that didnt previously have a National Championship actually got their first by either defeating KU in the title game or through them in the National Semi Final. Note the following :

Coach K's first National Title-Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 1991.

Coach Gary Williams first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Semi Final game in 2002.

Coach Jim Boeheim's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2003.

And eechh...Coach John Calapari's first National Championship -Defeated Kansas in National Championship game in 2012. The only redeeming fact on that one is Bill got him first in 2008.

Actually we could go further back with Texas Western under Don Haskins getting their one and only title in 66 going through Kansas in the regional finals. Oh I guess Jay Wright did the same with Nova last yr beating Kansas in route to his first National Title also. Dayumm those are some strange factoids.

I guess the moral of what you've shared is that KU should not go up against a team in the Final Four with a great coach who hasn't won all the marbles!

#2010799 - 10/14/16 11:23 AM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Tubby's last game? He was dealing with Minnesota before he left us high and dry. He was wheeling and dealing behind our backs. It was good that you ran Tubby off until we hired the drunken abuser, Billy Clyde Gillespie.

#2010804 - 10/14/16 12:19 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952

I guess the moral of what you've shared is that KU should not go up against a team in the Final Four with a great coach who hasn't won all the marbles!

No...I guess the main point was most of those coaches especially K..Boeheim..and G. Williams has put much more time coaching their respective teams without a title tgan Roy did when those matchups occurred. Just strange coincidental stuff.

#2010806 - 10/14/16 12:23 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952

No...I guess the main point was most of those coaches especially K..Boeheim..and G. Williams has put much more time coaching their respective teams without a title tgan Roy did when those matchups occurred. Just strange coincidental stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. People need to take that into consideration before they badmouth Bill.

#2010807 - 10/14/16 12:29 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Yes that was my point. And I am not according to that dum dum michhawk worried about it taking until 2028 for our next title. I hope it doesn't but I won't lose any sleep over it. Michhawk actually believes if an individual doesn't agree with his narrow way of thinking then that individual is a millenial.

Nope I am fairly positive that about 95% of the population does not agree with Michhawk on many things. I picture him as one of thise doomsday hoarder guys.

#2010809 - 10/14/16 03:21 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yes that was my point. And I am not according to that dum dum michhawk worried about it taking until 2028 for our next title. I hope it doesn't but I won't lose any sleep over it. Michhawk actually believes if an individual doesn't agree with his narrow way of thinking then that individual is a millenial.

Nope I am fairly positive that about 95% of the population does not agree with Michhawk on many things. I picture him as one of thise doomsday hoarder guys.

I really like the fact that Bill got to his first National Championship much quicker than these other top notch.coaches. I desire a nat. championship as much as anyone but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over not winning one. These last 33 years have been a great run. And I have no doubt that Bill will win more nat. championships. Going 40-0 this year would certainly guarantee it! And I'm not losing any sleep over going 40-0. If it happens, great, if not there's always next year. smile

#2011338 - 11/11/16 11:43 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Nice prediction....

#2011340 - 11/11/16 11:54 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: Jayhawk1952]
OMGJayhawks Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Texas
ummm not this year!!! Maybe 35-5 this year!!

#2011358 - 11/12/16 02:46 PM Re: The First To Go 40-0? [Re: OMGJayhawks]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

If they had gone 40-0, it would have guaranteed a spectacular year. They can still have a spectacular year. Winning their 13th consecutive Big 12 championship and a national championship are still possible and viable goals. Do that and no one can argue that it wasn't a spectacular season.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Preview