Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1992178 - 06/13/15 12:43 AM Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities!
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Looks like Mancrappy is 1 of the 15 fastest shrinking cities in the USA!

And all my misguided purple kitten buddies (OK, 2 or 3 guys and several random purple farmers I just happen to run into from time to time) keep telling me how much it's growing. Maybe this is what went wrong with them out of HS, they saw everything in the opposite?

Backwards agg school = good school to attend
Rapidly shrinking city = really fast growing city

I think we finally have a diagnosis for them!

Looks like timmycats did a good job of running that city down some more. Maybe they're all moving away to the thriving nearby metropolis of Wamego?

#1992243 - 06/15/15 03:14 PM Re: Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities! [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Looks like Mancrappy is 1 of the 15 fastest shrinking cities in the USA!

And all my misguided purple kitten buddies (OK, 2 or 3 guys and several random purple farmers I just happen to run into from time to time) keep telling me how much it's growing. Maybe this is what went wrong with them out of HS, they saw everything in the opposite?

Backwards agg school = good school to attend
Rapidly shrinking city = really fast growing city

I think we finally have a diagnosis for them!

Looks like timmycats did a good job of running that city down some more. Maybe they're all moving away to the thriving nearby metropolis of Wamego?

Here's the data source:

http://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2014/index.html

Kman is correct when you look only at 2013-2014 change.

However, when you look at 2010-2014 change, Manhattan's growth rate is higher than Lawrence's.

122. Columbia MO, 7.4% growth
129. Manhattan, 7.2% growth
214. Lawrence, 5.8% growth

Obviously, KU and K-State should join the SEC.

#1992250 - 06/16/15 12:02 AM Re: Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
And of those 3 which is the only one practicing both consensual sex and birth control?

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1992251 - 06/16/15 01:29 AM Re: Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

If you look into the numbers you quickly realize that the bulk of Manhattan's growth the past 10 years has been fueled by the growth of Fort Riley from the war on terror.

They're currently in their first phase of a drawdown of 3,500 soldiers (due to reassignments etc., it'll probably only really be about 2,000) announced about 2 1/2 years ago (this drawdown is slated to be complete in 2017) and then the military budget got slashed since then and more drawdowns have been planned for Fort Riley. It looks like this is just the beginning of several years of virtual stagnation or even more shrinkage for Manhattan. They're lucky they got the NBAF which can alleviate some of this, but not nearly all as I've heard as many as another 3,000 soldiers may eventually be withdrawn or redeployed from Fort Riley. It's also never good for a city to have 2 years in a row of population loss as Manhattan has had now.

Lawrence just made a list of the coolest towns in America and added about 3,000 new residents in the past 2 years.

Just for the heck of it, here's how the populations of Lawrence and Manhattan compare over time.

#1992260 - 06/16/15 09:59 AM Re: Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities! [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Thread recap:

Kman: Manhattan is shrinking rapidly!
Me: Not if you expand your time horizon from 1 year to 4.
Appy: Manhattan's rapid growth is a result of rape.
Kman: Manhattan's rapid growth is only because it is different from Lawrence. Now look at this other stuff instead.

RCJHKU!

#1992286 - 06/16/15 11:13 PM Re: Manhattan 1 of fastest shrinking cities! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Nice try.

I threw out the fact that Manhattan is shrinking and made a list of the most rapidly shrinking cities in the USA as a result of that fact.

You felt compelled to defend Manhattan and its shrinking population then tried to throw in the slave staters home town.

I then list the facts behind Manhattan's 2 years of shrinkage. I then counter your argument about expanding timelines with the full timelines of both cities.

You respond with mischaracterizations and a bit of hyperbole.

Did the topic of this particular forum elude you or did you grow up in Manhattan or are a purple pig farmer fan at heart?

Preview