Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1990154 - 04/22/15 02:57 PM Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
It took me awhile last year to warm up to Rex Hudler. After awhile, I just started realizing that Hudler is who he is...a flawed, but optimistic, informative and enthusiastic and goofily funny and charming color guy. I've really grown to like listening to him on the TV.

Lefebvre, initially, came across a little stale. But over time, I've grown to like him a lot too. I think we're fortunate to have those 2 calling our games. The TV broadcast is really good with them.

#1990171 - 04/22/15 04:56 PM Re: Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread [Re: jayhawklouie]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Those 2 are great together. And we couldn't have a better spokesman for the Royals than da Hud. Especially considering he never played for the organization. The guy is enthusiastic. ..funny as hell...and seems like a super nice dude. All in all its a beautiful thing. ..

#1990189 - 04/22/15 09:35 PM Re: Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread [Re: PHOGUSHER]
creepypasta Offline
THE LEGEND

Really glad Lefebvre gained control over his depression several years back. A really great story. Also glad he didn't get the Twinkies gig he was lobbying for when it was open a couple years ago.

#1990237 - 04/23/15 11:28 AM Re: Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread [Re: creepypasta]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: creepypasta
Really glad Lefebvre gained control over his depression several years back. A really great story. Also glad he didn't get the Twinkies gig he was lobbying for when it was open a couple years ago.

Me too. Like everything about the guy as a broadcaster...informative, sense of humor, enunciates very well. Good guy.

TONS of props to Hudler. I was a fan of Frank White's candidness and sense of humor as a broadcaster. Hudler seemed odd and wrong at first. But he's taken off and I'm glad now KC made the change. If people listen closely, he offers up candidness, but does it in a subtle and easy-to-digest way.

As for Denny Matthews, his voice IS Royals baseball. Like his knowledge and he does a good job of entertaining the audience during the slow times of a game, which is most of the time. But his calls in big moments is....is...well, it's not good. Cain hit a double against the A's on Sunday to tie the game. After all the bad blood, feeling like we were on the verge of losing, Cain's tie-inducing hit was HUGE. Matthews' call was not...he called it like he'd call a grounder up the middle in the 2nd inning. And he's more and more the "get off my lawn" guy. Not faulting him. We all get more cynical and grumpy the older we get. But it doesn't work for baseball play by play.

#1990269 - 04/23/15 05:33 PM Re: Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread [Re: jayhawklouie]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Dennys is the michhawk of baseball announcers..oh no I didn't. .Even after we got the last out to get our trip to the World Series last year...All he did was calmly state "Kansas City you got a World Series"...wtf was that. ..been 29 years the slush mouth old fart should have been screaming at the top of his lungs...He was good in his day but that's long gone. ..like Hud sez "He's got to go"...

#1990317 - 04/24/15 01:14 PM Re: Hudler and Lefebvre Appreciation Thread [Re: jayhawklouie]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ryan's post-game comments were interesting. Lefebvre talked of a Hal MaCrae quote when Cliff Johson wanted to fight MaCrae for his barrel slide, the day after at the batting cage. MaCrae supposedly said, "I don't fight extra men". He brought this up to say that MaCrae's crack helped defuse the situation.

That's where the Royals, I think, are taking this. Moose handled his hit on the shoulder/jaw perfectly. Hoz's comments were perfect post-game.

I think the Royals haven't changed their inner thoughts about certain players or teams, but now's the time to play it cool and mature. I don't expect the Royals will have an issue again for a long while...unless the opposition does something to truly warrant the Royals having an issue.

Preview