Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1989554 - 04/13/15 09:52 AM How did I miss that
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Kiefs Audio Video in Lawrence closed back in mid November. I have bought a bunch of stuff from that place way back when. They just couldn't compete with the electronic box stores.

They did have a audio video snobbish attitude about them. I was in there last summer looking at new speakers and mid priced sub woofers. And mentioned that I thought Best Buy had some good subs at a decent price in their Magnolia stores. The salesman ridiculed the brand of sub woofer I was referring to and stated it was junk.

Said I would have to pay twice as much for something good. Guess that's why they are out of business. ..couldn't or wouldn't compete with their main competitors price point on items. Wish I would have caught their liquidation auction. Bet those so called decent subs went pretty cheap. Still sad, that place was a Larrytown icon.

#1989555 - 04/13/15 10:55 AM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
creepypasta Offline
THE LEGEND

Amazon.com

#1989561 - 04/13/15 01:28 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Yeah the internet competition was too much for them to compete with especially since they would not offer competitive prices. They tried to make it seem there place was the only store you could buy good high end stuff....Wrong...

I am surprised amazon and others hasnt taken Best Buy completely down. But like myself some people actually like to look at the product in person and might actually buy it there if the price is fair enough.

#1989574 - 04/13/15 08:13 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Maximus Online   confused
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
The "buy local" marketing campaign never works on the masses when they over price their consumer purchases. Probably doesn't help them buying retail and trying to market it up higher too.

#1989611 - 04/14/15 01:10 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I am still in the market for new speakers and subwoofer. Any suggestions...my Paradigns are about 18 years old and my MK subwoofer is older...dang thing keeps blowing cross over fuses. I was thinking 600 Series Bowers and Wilkens and one of their medium price subs or Martin Logans and a good sub...AV Design Studio in Overland Park at 91rst and Metcalf has top end speakers like Bower Wilkens...Martin Logans...and even better. They have pretty good prices on stuff.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/14/15 01:17 PM)

#1989623 - 04/14/15 05:50 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Yeah when Best Buy will sell the same Pioneer Elite or Denon receiver model for about 200 bucks less why would you buy it at a place like Kiefs. Hence the reason they are closed.

Here is a ?..Once a line of electronics is discontinued like plasma tvs what do they do with the unsold ones . Auctions ...warehouses ..what. I love the picture plasma put out. No one sells new models of them anymore. The unsold got to be somewhere.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/14/15 06:21 PM)

#1989637 - 04/14/15 08:32 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Yeah when Best Buy will sell the same Pioneer Elite or Denon receiver model for about 200 bucks less why would you buy it at a place like Kiefs. Hence the reason they are closed.

Here is a ?..Once a line of electronics is discontinued like plasma tvs what do they do with the unsold ones . Auctions ...warehouses ..what. I love the picture plasma put out. No one sells new models of them anymore. The unsold got to be somewhere.

Plasma is the new CRT. Get with the times.

#1989639 - 04/14/15 08:53 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Not hardly Jim old boy. Plasma sets contrast levels or true blacks can not still be matched by LED/LCD sets. Maybe this new fangled OLED can match plasma tvs black levels. All I do know is this my 8 year old Panasonic plasma is still kicking while my brother has gone through 2 LCD sets.

#1989644 - 04/14/15 10:36 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Not hardly Jim old boy. Plasma sets contrast levels or true blacks can not still be matched by LED/LCD sets. Maybe this new fangled OLED can match plasma tvs black levels. All I do know is this my 8 year old Panasonic plasma is still kicking while my brother has gone through 2 LCD sets.

lol

LCD TVs aren't far behind.

LED is the now. Get with the times.

#1989646 - 04/14/15 11:18 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Led..lcd...lol. Really what is wrong with you man. Always needing to talk status smack. Must be compensating for something. Nomesaying

#1989648 - 04/14/15 11:37 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Errrr and there is no tvs with LED displays. LED tvs are LCD panels that is either back lit or edge lit with LED emitters. But of course you knew that ....right

#1989664 - 04/15/15 08:56 AM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Hey Jimbo Slick. ..Since you know all about everything. What does your system consist of...Granted a Led tv of course but surround sound system to complement it...for some reason I picture you as a Bose speaker system aficionado...

#1989720 - 04/15/15 11:07 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Errrr and there is no tvs with LED displays. LED tvs are LCD panels that is either back lit or edge lit with LED emitters. But of course you knew that ....right

lol

LED =/= LCD

LCD TVs with LED back lights are still LCD TVs. Go read a book or something, this is basic stuff.

#1989721 - 04/15/15 11:10 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Hey Jimbo Slick. ..Since you know all about everything. What does your system consist of...Granted a Led tv of course but surround sound system to complement it...for some reason I picture you as a Bose speaker system aficionado...

I have a Sonos in my bathroom.

#1989722 - 04/15/15 11:30 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

There you go. ..knew you wouldn't disappoint. Play One. .Play Three. ..Play 5????? Actually not near as expensive as I thought someone of your elite status would use...but you did say in the crapper...

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/15/15 11:36 PM)

#1989725 - 04/15/15 11:47 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

There you go. ..knew you wouldn't disappoint. Play One. .Play Three. ..Play 5????? Actually not near as expensive as I thought someone of your elite status would use...but you did say in the crapper...

Play:1 - it is the only one that has humidity protection.

#1989727 - 04/16/15 03:06 AM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Makes sense. What's system complements your LED Hdtv. Man I am loving that 79 inch Sony LED 4K set. You can get about a foot away and still not discern any pixels. But 7000 bucks. ..ouch.

#1989747 - 04/16/15 12:25 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Maximus Online   confused
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
South Korea out doing the American companies in tech manufacturing. Not a good sign for the future.

#1989791 - 04/17/15 12:45 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Well I might switch from a Pioneer receive to a Onkyo..got a nice one for about 7 bills. Plenty of power 130 watts a channel. 7.2 THX Select certified with that new Atmos surround sound technology.

#1991437 - 05/19/15 12:22 PM Re: How did I miss that [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Kiefs Audio Video in Lawrence closed back in mid November. I have bought a bunch of stuff from that place way back when. They just couldn't compete with the electronic box stores.
John Kiefer retired and his son didn't want to continue with a retail sales store. Son wanted to design custom stereo stuff and do other things. When I grew up I lived across from the Malls shopping center on 23rd st and went there often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview