Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1979787 - 12/05/14 09:26 AM Coaching Hires So far
jhawkblue Online   content
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Since the KU search seems to be in a holding pattern until after the CCGs Im curious as to how everyone feels about the Hires that have been made so far

C- Nebraska hire of Riley, he did well at a program that was KU bad before he got there but seems like an out of left field, "oh sh*t now what", response to being turned down by Bielema but I live in nebraska and husker fans are going out of their minds from "glad we got rid of Pelini" to "we hired who" so ill change my grade to an A+ just for the humor i find in crying husker fans

B Buffalo hire of Leipold, don't know much about him but you don't go 106-6 at any level without knowing a little something about how to coach and its Buffalo even gill had a winning season there

B+ Florida hire of McElwain, a proven OC in the SEC a proven HC at CSU seems to be the offensive mind that Fla was looking for if he manages to get the right staff in place could easily be an A

A++ SMU hire of Morris, an 0-11 program, in the AAC, in the heart of Texas recruiting country, with the money to back a program,
Morris is a young energetic coach who has a very good offensive mind and just happens to be one of the best HS coaches in Texas history and recent enough that the recruits know how he is, and not just stories from their dad, he seems to have had a solid plan on his staff hires including a some experienced coaches with a few Tex HS coaches thrown in for good measure I expect a rapid improvement in the next 3-4 years at SMU before Morris moves on to Tex,TA&M or where ever he chooses, I can't say he succeed at the next level yet, but fully expect to see SMU at the top of the AAC soon

#1979822 - 12/05/14 12:53 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]

Originally Posted By: jhawkblue
Since the KU search seems to be in a holding pattern until after the CCGs Im curious as to how everyone feels about the Hires that have been made so far

C- Nebraska hire of Riley, he did well at a program that was KU bad before he got there but seems like an out of left field, "oh sh*t now what", response to being turned down by Bielema but I live in nebraska and husker fans are going out of their minds from "glad we got rid of Pelini" to "we hired who" so ill change my grade to an A+ just for the humor i find in crying husker fans

B Buffalo hire of Leipold, don't know much about him but you don't go 106-6 at any level without knowing a little something about how to coach and its Buffalo even gill had a winning season there

B+ Florida hire of McElwain, a proven OC in the SEC a proven HC at CSU seems to be the offensive mind that Fla was looking for if he manages to get the right staff in place could easily be an A

A++ SMU hire of Morris, an 0-11 program, in the AAC, in the heart of Texas recruiting country, with the money to back a program,
Morris is a young energetic coach who has a very good offensive mind and just happens to be one of the best HS coaches in Texas history and recent enough that the recruits know how he is, and not just stories from their dad, he seems to have had a solid plan on his staff hires including a some experienced coaches with a few Tex HS coaches thrown in for good measure I expect a rapid improvement in the next 3-4 years at SMU before Morris moves on to Tex,TA&M or where ever he chooses, I can't say he succeed at the next level yet, but fully expect to see SMU at the top of the AAC soon

( ) KU hire of Beaty, To be determined

#1979825 - 12/05/14 01:02 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I'd give it a C since he was obviously far from the first choice.

#1979837 - 12/05/14 01:54 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
No doubt huh?

#1979849 - 12/05/14 03:34 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
WolfHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Just because KU was thorough doesn't mean Beaty wasn't a first choice. Once he interviewed, things moved very quickly. I give it an A-, because:

-Hiring for such value ($800k) will allow Beaty to put together a great staff.

-He is a great fit for what KU needs to do right now (roster overhaul with strong recruiting, win back booster support)

-We have to be realistic about which candidates were ever realistic to begin with. KU might be the toughest rebuild in the country and multiple guys have failed here trying. Guys with ideal qualifications would likely prefer safer opportunities.

Only give it a minus because he's currently a position coach, although he does have 2 years OC experience, same as Mangino did prior to HC at KU.
"Most everyday, if not everyday for the rest of your life, you will be reminded or think of this night, and I want to thank you in advance for the great memories it's gonna be. Let's go have fun." -Bill Self, 2008 National Championship pre-game speech

#1979851 - 12/05/14 03:36 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Morris is a young energetic coach who has a very good offensive mind and just happens to be one of the best HS coaches in Texas history and recent enough that the recruits know how he is, and not just stories from their dad

Even though it's been a long time since my HS days, I never knew any of the other HS coaches. I guess if he coached some all star game they would be acquainted, but how many recruits know other HS coaches?

#1979853 - 12/05/14 03:42 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: WolfHawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: WolfHawk
Just because KU was thorough doesn't mean Beaty wasn't a first choice. Once he interviewed, things moved very quickly. I give it an A-, because:

-Hiring for such value ($800k) will allow Beaty to put together a great staff.

-He is a great fit for what KU needs to do right now (roster overhaul with strong recruiting, win back booster support)

-We have to be realistic about which candidates were ever realistic to begin with. KU might be the toughest rebuild in the country and multiple guys have failed here trying. Guys with ideal qualifications would likely prefer safer opportunities.

Only give it a minus because he's currently a position coach, although he does have 2 years OC experience, same as Mangino did prior to HC at KU.
I agree that it was probably first choice on Beaty

#1979857 - 12/05/14 03:55 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Bottom line he is a great recruiter and we have to have that in order to compete in this conference. Bowen's done a great job but I hope they give him the flexibility to hire his own coaches.

#1979942 - 12/06/14 06:10 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: 58hawk]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

Loc: Phoenix Depot
58:

Here's what we heard in recent years (articles on LJW to support):

Turner Gill, great hire! He'll do an awesome job recruiting Texas, the Midwest and so on. His Nebraska pedigree and friendly demeanor will win over recruits and their families!

Charlie Weis, great hire! He'll do an awesome job recruiting all over the country like he did at Notre Dame and he has the "bling" of having coached Tom Brady to a Super Bowl victory!

David Beaty, great hire! He'll do an awesome job recruiting.........

See past results.

#1979943 - 12/06/14 06:51 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

L-Train,
I'm not entirely in his corner. I'm actually lukewarm about the hire. And not sure why we would take someone who was on Gill's staff. My question is couldn't we have just promoted Bowen and then brought in Beaty as recruiting coordinator/offensive coordinator and paid him more then he was making at A&M ? Guess I don't see the difference.

#1979949 - 12/06/14 07:45 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: 58hawk]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

Hi, 58:

Bowen is in over his head, too. This year's defense and Bowen's past defenses and special teams units were more often atrocious than stellar. Clint's a good ambassador for Kansas football but a poor manager of his responsibilities. He's does not outwit his opponents or create wrinkles or new tactics to impact games. He just doesn't.

Beaty doesn't have the credentials for a FBS chief job in a power conference. He doesn't. He belongs at Colorado State, the MWC, or maybe the Mid America or Sun Belt as a head coach. Let's see what he does there for 3-5 years.

Going from receivers coach at A&M and lead recruiter to a power program HC is unbelievable. Keeping on a marginal DC as first hiring choice? Dumb.

This all wreaks of cronyism and cheapness...in every sense of the word.

Hello, 6-6, I know we'll probably not see you for some time. But, rest assured, if we ever do under Beaty, we'll do our best never to exceed you and leave you behind for loftier standards.

#1979975 - 12/07/14 05:36 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
6-6 with this steaming pile of a program should get you a lifetime contract. We don't care about anything but basketball here, and this hiring shows that,

#1979980 - 12/07/14 05:55 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beaty may be Zengers' first choice but not mine...the name Harbaugh familiar?

#1979983 - 12/07/14 07:20 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]

there is almost nothing to Judge Beaty on so far other than his qualifications for the job of HC at a P5 program which most would agree are less than should be required but that grade has to go to Z and his and the committees choice of hire after a national search for the best candidate that consisted of only Mangino,Gill era assistants as far as I can tell

the first thing he will be judged on is the staff he puts together, imo Bowen as DC is a big negative but from most accounts that grade has to go to Z as well, I will give him a positive for retaining Mitchell but the rest is to be determined

the next thing he will be judged on is how well his staff recruits, again thats tbd

then the on field performance and over time player development again tbd

Beaty was not on my wish list and while I may judge the decisions of those involved that that led to his hire, I will hold my judgement of Beaty until there is more to be judged

#1979997 - 12/07/14 12:17 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
' I will hold my judgement of Beaty until there is more to be judged''

My sentiments too.....a common sense position that a rational, educated person would take.

#1979998 - 12/07/14 12:19 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Beaty may be Zengers' first choice but not mine...the name Harbaugh familiar?

Agreed...he wasn't my first choice either....the name Chip Kelly familiar?.

#1980049 - 12/07/14 08:26 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
that grade has to go to Z and his and the committees choice of hire after a national search for the best candidate that consisted of only Mangino,Gill era assistants as far as I can tell

It's already been reported before Beaty was even hired that we contacted: Chad Morris, Matt Wells, Justin Fuente, Dino Babers, Scott Frost, Jerry Kill, Pat Narduzzi, Phil Montgomery, Willie Fritz, Ed Warinner and others.

#1980052 - 12/07/14 08:35 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Let's give Zenger some credit for recognizing his mistake in hiring CW and firing him. How many AD's have the stones or the humility to fire their guy?

Let's see what Beaty can do.

#1980055 - 12/07/14 08:57 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

It was less about humility and more about saving his own job.

#1980057 - 12/07/14 09:08 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

We passed on Jerry Kill for Beaty? And Phil Montgomery would have been better.

#1980065 - 12/07/14 09:18 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

They said "no thanks."

And honestly, can't blame them. Can't be many that want this job. A ton of work. Gill and Weis had no idea how much work it was until they got here.

#1980066 - 12/07/14 09:21 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I guess I don't see much difference between Beaty and Bowen being the head coach. Hope I'm wrong...

#1980068 - 12/07/14 09:35 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Beaty being HC provides a staff overhaul.

#1980070 - 12/07/14 09:39 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
oldalum Offline
Lawrence Legend

I figured they retained Bowen as DC and Asst. Coach because of his local popularity. There would have been a huge outcry if he was dumped, and fans are a bit thin already without alienating a bunch of them.

#1980076 - 12/07/14 11:30 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

Indeed.

#1980086 - 12/08/14 09:20 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: oldalum]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Originally Posted By: oldalum
I figured they retained Bowen as DC and Asst. Coach because of his local popularity. There would have been a huge outcry if he was dumped, and fans are a bit thin already without alienating a bunch of them.

Oh no. The fans, that don't go to games as it is, might want to complain that a particular coach was not retained.

Local popularity does not make him a good defensive coordinator.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#1980131 - 12/08/14 10:30 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
UNLV hires Bishop Gorman High School's head coach as head coach for UNLV.

Kinda strange, IMO.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2023319 - 11/12/17 05:56 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]

there is almost nothing to Judge Beaty on so far other than his qualifications for the job of HC at a P5 program which most would agree are less than should be required but that grade has to go to Z and his and the committees choice of hire after a national search for the best candidate that consisted of only Mangino,Gill era assistants as far as I can tell

the first thing he will be judged on is the staff he puts together, imo Bowen as DC is a big negative but from most accounts that grade has to go to Z as well, I will give him a positive for retaining Mitchell but the rest is to be determined

the next thing he will be judged on is how well his staff recruits, again thats tbd

then the on field performance and over time player development again tbd

Beaty was not on my wish list and while I may judge the decisions of those involved that that led to his hire, I will hold my judgement of Beaty until there is more to be judged

3 years and a 3-31 record latter there has been enough to judge this hire

Zenger gets an F for the hire
Beaty gets a D- for staff hires
Beaty gets a C+ for recruiting
Beaty gets a F- for on field performance
Beaty gets a D for player development

#2023336 - 11/13/17 11:06 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Since you bumped this thread give us the grades of the hires in your original post.

#2023367 - 11/13/17 08:24 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: vmlb]

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Since you bumped this thread give us the grades of the hires in your original post.

Neb: Riley original grade C- with an A for the enjoyment I got from watching the husker fans melt down. Riley was the proverbial nice guy hire after an a$$whole coach.
Updated grade: D (still with an A for my enjoyment as crying husker fans are funny) while he did go to 2 straight bowls and had a couple of top 25 recruiting classes 19-17 will not be tolerated by a program and fan base that is stuck in the 1990s and still consider Neb a national power

Buffalo: Liepold original grade B he took over a program that has had 3 winning seasons as an FBS program he has gone 5-7 2-10 and currently 4-6 but other than a 10 point loss to Minn his other 5 losses were one score games I don't watch Buffalo games so not sure if he has improved the product on the field or not
Updated grade C for at least being competitive

Fla: McElwain original grade B+ took over at Fla after 4-8 7-5 seasons and went 10-4 9-4 both winning sec east before the wheels came off this season going 3-6 with blowout losses and being let go
updated grade B I still think he was a good hire and am considering this season an anomaly rather than the norm of the first 2

SMU: Morris original grade A+ took over after a 1-11 season then went 2-10 5-7 and currently 6-4 showing improvement each season while building both an AAC contender and his own resume
updated grade A took away the + as I expected better than 2-10 his first season

Note: I believe that any of the above listed coaches could/would have done better than the 3-33 that the WR coach has gotten us

Edited by jhawkblue (11/13/17 08:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview