Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1976262 - 10/22/14 01:16 PM Blind Hatred and Faith
jhawkblue Offline
Lawrence Legend

there are several on this board that have lost the ability to see the facts due to their blind hatred of Weis or blind faith in the home town boy Bowen.

1. I never thought that Weis was a good fit at KU but Z wanted a big name hire and thats what he got. Weis did some good things in cleaning up the mess left by gill but not enough to keep the job. Most on this board credit him with putting together a good staff but it was HIS failures in recruiting,player development and game planning that cost him the job, in their blind hatred they fail to realize that this good staff he put together was also responsible for that recruiting and the position coaches and coordinators have a lot more to do with player development and teaching technique than the HC (I see failure across the board)

2. I still think the Bowen will be the KU HC but I think it will be in the future not now and I cannot overlook his lack of HC experience and the increase in delay of games penalties or wasted TOs due to failure get the play in or players lined up incorrectly and poor special teams lane integrity which are directly attributed to the coaching staff , all the rah rah motivation is useless if the fundamentals are not instilled and maintained and this failure is on the position coaches and coordinators

3. Also read a lot on here about needing a KU guy who knows Kansas football
what we need is a football guy, an experienced HC, a proven recruiter that can come in and put a quality staff in place and be given the time to build the program correctly
( i dont care if he has never stepped foot in the state of Kansas just as long as he know his way around the Texas recruiting grounds)

4. its NOT going to be Harbaugh so do yourselves a favor and just let it go

Edited by jhawkblue (10/22/14 01:19 PM)

#1976273 - 10/22/14 03:28 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
Except on the recruiting side I think the argument has been the lack of player development. I'm not too sure the problem is us not getting the skill players as much as developing them up. And whose idea was it to go heavy on the jucos? Is that the fault of the assistants or the grand architect? You won't get much development out of jucos. They are more Band Aids for holes in a process.

Also, whose fault is it for the lack of a talented QB? I'm pretty sure Weis was involved in that, too but certainly we should probably be looking at cutting loose Powlus after the season is done if Bowen is hired on.

Most of KU's problems have been on the offense which was mainly run by Chuckles. Reagan came in just this season trying to piece together everything, along with Kiesau. Honestly I think Kiesau has done a great job and Reagan is probably too soon to grade, but his resume at Rice and while at KU seem like he would be worth keeping unless we think we can upgrade.

As far as needing a proven recruiter, we have some already on staff. Campo does a pretty solid job getting guys in from Texas. Unless he bolts I think we should be fine there. Again, Reagan seems to be another solid Texas connection. I also think Reggie Mitchell is a solid recruiter for us. I think his record at Illinois and here at KU are very strong given those teams' records.

I'm not saying Bowen is the guy but I can't understand the people crying that he's not. If he's not the right hire, who exactly do you think we are going to get? You already dismissed some of the top candidates who have shown 'interest'. Whether they are really interested or not, sure that has yet to be determined, but they have reached out to KU so it seems like there is something there even if you don't want to acknowledge it.

Also, I find it weird that you seem to think Bowen could be a head coach for KU but not at this time. Everybody has to start somewhere. Not everybody starts as a head coach. If Bowen is going to get a shot at the big chair it might as well be here. Now the only question I may have is... can we get somebody better with a proven record of doing this? If we can shell out the cash and get Harbaugh, why not? I'm all for it. If not, heck, give Bowen a chance. I would have rather had him over Milk Toast and Chuckles these last 5 seasons.

#1976275 - 10/22/14 03:48 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
So anything better than Gill/Weis is your recommendation? Just give Bowen the chance. Hell, give ME a chance, I can do better than Gill.

#1976277 - 10/22/14 04:14 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Well if Bowen is going to ever coach KU this is probably the time. Who knows if the stars will line back up.

Bowen may not be the guy. I am pulling for him, but there are question marks to be sure. I am not sure lack of head coaching experience is one of them. A lot of the guys that are popping up on the lists as potential head coaches are coordinators that have had no head coaching experience. Plus there are a number of really good coaches that made the jump from coordinator to head coach. Lastly just look at Gill and Weis they both had head coaching experience, and they were both disasters.

#1976278 - 10/22/14 04:43 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm not against a coordinator if he is currently at a successful major program. Mangino was. Malzahn was. Being the d-coordinator at KU is not in that category.

Bowen might turn out to be the right guy, but I wouldn't bet my job on it. Would you?

#1976285 - 10/22/14 06:30 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
With one of the worst teams in D1 football, our options are limited. Bowen will probably be the best we can attract. Five years ago this wasn't the case. Today it is.

#1976286 - 10/22/14 06:30 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Go ahead and give Bowen a shot. Just not 5 years.

#1976290 - 10/22/14 06:52 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Who has recommended a 5 year, multimillion dollar, guaranteed contract? I wouldn't, unless it's Harbaugh or Saban. What I and others are saying is, "why should we hire an unproven HC, when we have one right under our nose?" Why is the OC at Alabama a better choice then the DC at KU?

#1976291 - 10/22/14 07:17 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: KUCO_VOC]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
So anything better than Gill/Weis is your recommendation? Just give Bowen the chance. Hell, give ME a chance, I can do better than Gill.

Well I'm not suggesting we get anything equal to or worse than Gill/Weis. wink

If you want the job, let me ask you a series of questions I imagine the KU AD's asked the previous two hires:

Have you ever been on a boat?

You're a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?

Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?

How lucky are you and why?

On a scale from one to ten, rate me as an interviewer.

#1976292 - 10/22/14 07:19 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy............they weren't head coaches.

I don't believe you will get a OC or DC from a successful team. They will be looking for bigger and better places to go.

Harbaugh, get real, you are dreaming.

#1976296 - 10/22/14 08:31 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: namohcan_99]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: namohcan_99
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Well I'm not suggesting we get anything equal to or worse than Gill/Weis. wink

If you want the job, let me ask you a series of questions I imagine the KU AD's asked the previous two hires:

Have you ever been on a boat?

You're a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?

Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?

How lucky are you and why?

On a scale from one to ten, rate me as an interviewer.

The problem is, Bowen would seriously answer your kind of questions to crawl into the position. I wouldn't.😞

#1976297 - 10/22/14 08:33 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Who has recommended a 5 year, multimillion dollar, guaranteed contract? I wouldn't, unless it's Harbaugh or Saban. What I and others are saying is, "why should we hire an unproven HC, when we have one right under our nose?" Why is the OC at Alabama a better choice then the DC at KU?

With blinders on. Namo. 5 years. Bowen.

Edited by KUCO_VOC (10/22/14 08:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Underwhelming

#1976298 - 10/22/14 08:56 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
I'd rather have Narduzzi or Warinner if we're going coordinators.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#1976299 - 10/22/14 10:00 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: dgless21]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
I'd rather have Narduzzi or Warinner if we're going coordinators.

Don't listen to KUCO_VOC. I would be good with Narduzzi. His defenses are beyond impressive.

#1976300 - 10/22/14 10:41 PM Re: Blind Hatred and Faith [Re: jhawkblue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
I don't really listen to him.

I just don't think Kiffin is an answer at KU.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview