Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19707 - 01/05/07 11:18 AM a hero among us
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
NEW YORK, Jan. 4 -- The act was beautiful and brave, and lucky.

A young film student suffered a seizure in a Harlem subway station Tuesday afternoon and toppled onto the tracks. Wesley Autrey, 50, a construction worker with two young daughters at his side, tried to tug him back onto the platform. But as a train approached, the student began to seize again, and Autrey jumped on top, pushing him into a foot-deep trough between the tracks and covering his body with his own.

Wesley Autrey and daughters Syshe, 4, left, and Shuqui, 6, look at the medallion New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg gave him for helping a man who fell onto the subway tracks. Though the train braked, several cars ran over both men, passing just inches from Autrey's head, leaving grease marks on his powder-blue hat. Amazingly, they escaped with little more than scratches. AP

#19708 - 01/05/07 11:29 AM Re: a hero among us [Re: tubby]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
From the Associated Press:

Fri Jan 5, 7:53 AM ET

Two NYC men save falling toddler

NEW YORK - Two passers-by rescued a toddler who fell four stories, scrambling to catch him as he tumbled from a fire escape, police said.

Julio Gonzalez, 43, and Pedro Nevarez, 40, saw 3-year-old Timothy Addo dangling from a Bronx building on Thursday, police said. The boy had crawled out of a window when his baby sitter briefly took her eyes off of him, police said.

"He was hanging on for dear life," Gonzalez said.

Hearing people in the building scream for help as the boy's grip weakened, the men rushed over to position themselves under the fire escape to catch him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070105/ap_on_re_us/heroic_catch

#19709 - 01/05/07 11:33 AM Re: a hero among us [Re: shades]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
Happened right here in Lawrence!

13-YEAR-OLD BOY USES HEIMLICH TO SAVE DOG
Thursday, January 3, 1991

When Justin Weigel learned emergency first aid in his junior high home economics class last year, he probably didn't think about having to use it on another person, much less on an animal.

"I learned it at school, but they didn't say anything about using it on a dog," said Justin, a 13-year-old eighth-grader at West Junior High.

The Weigels' dog, Muffie, is probably glad Justin utilized his human first aid knowledge for a canine cause on New Year's Day.

"We were just kind of sitting around when we noticed the dog started acting strange," said Donna Weigel, Justin's mother. "I noticed that her whole mouth had turned blue and she wasn't breathing."

Mrs. Weigel called Justin for help.

"Muff just ran up to me and sat down," Justin said. "It was almost like she knew we could do something to help."

JUSTIN THEN wrapped his arms around Muffie from behind and began administering the Heimlich maneuver, an abdominal thrust taught in first aid for use on choking victims.

"I had to keep doing it on her a couple of times before she swallowed whatever it was that was caught in her throat," Justin said. "Then she was OK."

Muffie, a 2 -year-old cocker spaniel, is probably alive today because of Justin's quick thinking and first aid improvisation.

"I was impressed at what Justin had done because I sure didn't know what to do," Mrs. Weigel said. "Who would've thought you could use the Heimlich manuver to help a dog?"

The Weigels, longtime Lawrence residents, still aren't sure what was caught in Muffie's throat.

The dog went without breathing for several minutes before Justin took action, they said. It took about a minute for Justin to clear the dog's throat.

"WE THINK it may have been a piece of rawhide, but whatever it was, she swallowed it," Mrs. Weigel said.

The Heimlich manuever, used to dislodge food or other objects caught in the throat, normally is performed by standing behind a person, wrapping your arms around the person, making a fist and pressing into the person's stomach with a quick upward thrust.

"The chest on a dog is shaped differently than a chest of a human," said Dr. John Bradley, a local veterinarian. "But the makeup of the thoracic cavity is the same everything is about in the same place on a dog as in a human."

Bradley said he has not heard of the Heimlich maneuver being performed to save a dog from choking.

"A dog is able to eat a lot of things and get by with it without choking," he said. "It doesn't happen that often, but it is possible.

"IT SEEMS the young man was right on top of the situation," Bradley said.

Jo Byers, local chapter director of the American Red Cross, said Justin would be awarded a certificate of recognition by the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross.

The Red Cross provides training in first aid to county residents.

"I think this is a wonderful story," Byers said.

Byers also said she had never heard of the Heimlich maneuver used to assist a four-legged victim.

"I've heard of people trying to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to animals but not the Heimlich maneuver," she said.

Mrs. Wiegel said that shortly after Muffie's incident, the family watched a similar situation on the television show, "Rescue 911."

"I sure wish we could've seen the show before the dog started choking," she said.

#19710 - 01/05/07 12:31 PM Re: a hero among us [Re: tubby]
Former_Jhawk Offline
John Brown

Good stories. Feel free to keep em coming.

#19711 - 01/05/07 02:56 PM Re: a hero among us [Re: Former_Jhawk]
Coach Offline
Big Dipper

I feel bad I posted this but...

Quartaro Resigns from Position on Kansas Football Staff

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Assistant football coach Nick Quartaro has resigned from his position on the University of Kansas football staff to pursue opportunities outside the coaching profession. A member of Head Coach Mark Mangino's original staff at KU, Quartaro served five seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Jayhawks. He was promoted to Associate Head Coach prior to the 2004 season.

"Nick has been a dedicated and important member of our coaching staff since his arrival at Kansas," Mangino said. "He's played a key role in the development of our program. We also appreciate the positive impact he's had on our staff and team. I wish Nick and his family nothing but success and good fortune in the future."

During his five years at Kansas, 19 offensive players earned All-Big 12 accolades including two athletes who were named Big 12 Newcomer of the Year -- quarterback Bill Whittemore (2002) and center Joe Vaughn (2003).

In 2006, Quartaro directed an offense which averaged 176.9 rushing yards per game, the highest mark since the 1995 season. Senior running back Jon Cornish, an All-Big 12 First Team selection, became KU's single-season record holder after rushing for 1,457 yards.

During KU's 42-13 win over Houston in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl, Quartaro's offense set several KU bowl records, including most passing yards (340), most passing touchdowns (4) and most first downs gained (29).

In just his second season at KU in 2003, Quartaro helped orchestrate a Jayhawk offense which set 12 single-season school records, including most points (384), most touchdown passes (25) and most total yards gained (5,479).

Prior to his arrival in Lawrence, Quartaro was an integral part of the rebuilding processes at Iowa State and Kansas State as an assistant coach, and at Fordham and Drake as a head coach.

"I'm thankful for the opportunity to have coached at KU these last five years," Quartaro said. "I have especially enjoyed working alongside the high character coaches who make up the staff, as well as with the quality young men whom I have coached.

"The respect for the Jayhawk football program among the Big 12 schools, as well as on a national level, has grown tremendously. With the leadership in place and facility improvements in the works, the program will continue to climb to greater heights.

"After 30 years of football being the central point of my work, I look forward to utilizing a lot of the same skills and attributes to help me in a new career path."

Preview