Page 115 of 116 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1978351 - 11/15/14 05:53 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
redrover Offline
friend2allNME2nun

glad you had a great time freg. about the consistency of energy level, keep in mind that this was an opener against a nobody. you should be here for the texas or ksu game.... or any game against a high level opponent. it is a bit hard to get up for ucsb like it was the final four... because we go to those things sometimes. ucsd probably gets more fired up against you because you are equals kmore or less

terrific job by your gauchos. they are a good team and certainly looked like ncaa tournament material to me, maybe for 2 or more games even. i was impressed.

#1978356 - 11/15/14 06:07 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Red nailed it... Kind of.. Lol

#1978381 - 11/16/14 12:13 AM UCSB @ KU [Re: redrover]
chiefstinkyfinger Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Congratulations on your win. Great people, a great environment. Seriously. Not once did anyone ever make a negative comment about my Gaucho hat or UCSB Sweatshirt. Every sports fan in America should spend some time in Lawrence, KS and learn about true sportsmanship. I mean maybe skip that Surf Shop on Massachusetts St. and not even the free straw should lure you into Taco Johns.

Not to brag but I was a model citizen in Lawrence too. In fact I gave the Heimlich maneuver to all three refs that swallowed their whistles when UCSB had the ball in the second half. 13-1 fouls, really? No sour grapes, just a friendly jab.

Best of luck the rest of the season. We'll be rooting for our RPI every time you take the court.

Your Pal,

Stinky

#1978388 - 11/16/14 08:07 AM Re: UCSB @ KU [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
redrover Offline
friend2allNME2nun

thanks for the nice comments stinky, i knew our kansas fans would be nice. we are glad you liked your time here. it really is a special place in all of sports and thats not just bragging. we like to share this with other fans of the game so thanks for helping spread the word.

it has been fun arguing with you and calling you names and being insulted for tornados and things that dont really happen much. it is all in good fun. you have been a good sport and we know you were just poking fun at us the same way we were at you.

that ucsb team really did you and themselfs proud friday. i will be rooting for your team too since that helps our rpi if you dont suck. and you dont. your team i mean, you kind of do. lol jk! you guys have a good chance of making the ncaa tournament so be sure and drop in near seasons end if not sooner.

the fouls thing-- williams is a beast but lets face it, fouling is what teams do who cant quite keep up with the athletes of a big time school. it happens. but lets not pretend that the refs were being unfair to you by calling fouls.

congrats on realizing what a special place allen fieldhouse is. i would love to see a game at cameron indoor or the palestra, some of the other bb college special places. i wouldn't mind seeing a game in santa barbara because it would be sunny and warm. i went to a ku game at iowa state a few years back, it was 10 below zero with a stiff wind. that kind of stuff is brutal. instead of sb though i kind of wish i was going to orlando for the ku games down there is a week or so.

congratss to your team and to you for being a goos guy overall. it was fun having you guys here on this website. i hope you also found a couple of the good ku sports websites too where fans form other teams arent the most entertaining thing.

#1978412 - 11/16/14 10:11 AM Re: UCSB @ KU [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Gauchos played hard -solid team. A few more made free throws and not giving up a couple of easy buckets at the end and we easily win this by 20.

I know the fouls looked uneven in 2nd half but I thought Williams got a half dozen rebounds by pushing off. I guess we all see the refs through team-colored glasses.

#1978414 - 11/16/14 10:28 AM Re: UCSB @ KU [Re: AlOerter]
Gauchofreg Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Gauchos played hard -solid team. A few more made free throws and not giving up a couple of easy buckets at the end and we easily win this by 20.

I know the fouls looked uneven in 2nd half but I thought Williams got a half dozen rebounds by pushing off. I guess we all see the refs through team-colored glasses.

KU clearly won the game so any comments from us about the refs are just that. But numbers don't lie, 13:1 in favor of one team, especially in a game where the other team was not fouling to keep it close, is indicative of favorable calls from the refs. Hey, "chalk" it up to a great home court advantage, I see nothing wrong with that.

#1978441 - 11/16/14 02:27 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: Gauchofreg]
faithful1 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Gauchofreg

Allen Fieldhouse is incredible and I am absolutely stoked I made the trip to see this place. We got there 45 minutes early to check out all the exhibits and take pics. The KU fans were nothing but welcoming and gracious, even the student section left us alone. It certainly did get loud a couple times but I was surprised that the noise & energy level wasn't sustained, only a couple bursts during the runs. The crowd at San Diego State is far more raucous with much more stamina.

I also noticed your comments on your board. Gauchodug wrote:

Was at game as well, and it was an awesome place to see a game. It's true they all know all cheers/songs etc, BUT, and this could be because they were not playing a Kentucky or arch rival Missouri, they were a very reactive crowd, not proactive. I never once heard chants of 'defense' or 'let's go Jayhawks' or anything. When the team did something positive, they certainly reacted. And got on their feet during the 9-0 run in first half and the big run in the 2nd. But otherwise, I was expecting a more active crowd, at least from student sections.

Then you replied:

I am in the same camp as Dug on this...But between the runs they had, they just sat back & watched & the band played during the timeouts. The Show from SDSU is far more dynamic.

As I was rewatching the game today in the first 5 minutes I heard the following chants from the crowd:

- "You lets the whole team down" when one of your players passed out of bounds and turned it over. Not my favorite but a chant non the less.

- "Kay-ay-ay-U-U." For an elongated KU.

- "Let's go Jayhawks!" Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap! My favorite since this was specifically noted as being absent.

- "Let's Go……pause…….KU!"

- "Defense, Defense" - My second favorite since this was specifically noted as being absent.

Perhaps you missed the "Air ball, air ball" chant when your guy missed the net, backboard or any part of the basket. I can understand wanting to forget this one.

There were other things the crowd was doing to participate- decidedly NOT sitting on their hands. They banged on the bleachers to make noise, they yelled continuously when your team had the ball to interfere with your team communicating so, yes, they were not chanting during those times.

I wonder why you failed to hear all those chants and cheers. Interesting but we most definitely DIDN'T sit back and do nothing.

#1978470 - 11/16/14 07:34 PM Re: UCSB @ KU [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: chiefstinkyfinger
Congratulations on your win. Great people, a great environment. Seriously. Not once did anyone ever make a negative comment about my Gaucho hat or UCSB Sweatshirt. Every sports fan in America should spend some time in Lawrence, KS and learn about true sportsmanship. I mean maybe skip that Surf Shop on Massachusetts St. and not even the free straw should lure you into Taco Johns.

Not to brag but I was a model citizen in Lawrence too. In fact I gave the Heimlich maneuver to all three refs that swallowed their whistles when UCSB had the ball in the second half. 13-1 fouls, really? No sour grapes, just a friendly jab.

Best of luck the rest of the season. We'll be rooting for our RPI every time you take the court.

Your Pal,

Stinky

Well so glad you had a good time . Indeed we got a few homer calls,but then again if our bunnies drop we win by 25. Did you make the football game, if so not too many TCU fireworks. In fact that performance by the Jayhawks might have knocked the Horned Frogs out of their title shot. Heard you hit the Red Lyon up..good place. Sorry about the no tornadoes or Waffle Houses, and I should have warned you about Taco Johns.. Not good.

#1978476 - 11/16/14 08:10 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: faithful1]
Gauchofreg Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: faithful1
Originally Posted By: Gauchofreg

Allen Fieldhouse is incredible and I am absolutely stoked I made the trip to see this place. We got there 45 minutes early to check out all the exhibits and take pics. The KU fans were nothing but welcoming and gracious, even the student section left us alone. It certainly did get loud a couple times but I was surprised that the noise & energy level wasn't sustained, only a couple bursts during the runs. The crowd at San Diego State is far more raucous with much more stamina.

I also noticed your comments on your board. Gauchodug wrote:

Was at game as well, and it was an awesome place to see a game. It's true they all know all cheers/songs etc, BUT, and this could be because they were not playing a Kentucky or arch rival Missouri, they were a very reactive crowd, not proactive. I never once heard chants of 'defense' or 'let's go Jayhawks' or anything. When the team did something positive, they certainly reacted. And got on their feet during the 9-0 run in first half and the big run in the 2nd. But otherwise, I was expecting a more active crowd, at least from student sections.

Then you replied:

I am in the same camp as Dug on this...But between the runs they had, they just sat back & watched & the band played during the timeouts. The Show from SDSU is far more dynamic.

As I was rewatching the game today in the first 5 minutes I heard the following chants from the crowd:

- "You lets the whole team down" when one of your players passed out of bounds and turned it over. Not my favorite but a chant non the less.

- "Kay-ay-ay-U-U." For an elongated KU.

- "Let's go Jayhawks!" Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap! My favorite since this was specifically noted as being absent.

- "Let's Go……pause…….KU!"

- "Defense, Defense" - My second favorite since this was specifically noted as being absent.

Perhaps you missed the "Air ball, air ball" chant when your guy missed the net, backboard or any part of the basket. I can understand wanting to forget this one.

There were other things the crowd was doing to participate- decidedly NOT sitting on their hands. They banged on the bleachers to make noise, they yelled continuously when your team had the ball to interfere with your team communicating so, yes, they were not chanting during those times.

I wonder why you failed to hear all those chants and cheers. Interesting but we most definitely DIDN'T sit back and do nothing.

Hey Faithful, you're right, there was far more activity than what my hurried post suggested.
I totally get this was an early season game against an opponent that won't generate the excitement or involvement that a Big 12 rival would bring. I am definitely envious of the home court advantage you guys have.

Good luck against Kentucky, take 'em down!

#1978490 - 11/17/14 09:12 AM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
Original AFH Gangsta

Another given is that it was the first real game for KU frosh also and as with all freshmen they don't know what their doing yet. Outside of the more experienced students it's the middle age season tickets owners and yes even the blue hairs making most the noise. Everyone included knows what there doing with the chants.. pregame activities.. etc and a great basketball IQ exists by all KU fans.

I have seen KU play on the road at Tennessee, South Carolina, and a few other places and although those arenas were packed mainly due to KU being the opponent the local fans had zero bball IQ. I imagine SDSU is like that,a packed arena with crazy fans holding bog heads of celebrities instead of the actual players again no bball .

Some say Duke fans are crazy I say their no more than a bunch of Asian kids with thunder sticks and UNC come on there was 2000-3000 empty seats at their first two home games. All in all its impossible to beat Allen Fieldhouse.

#1978491 - 11/17/14 09:52 AM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Gauchofreg Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Another given is that it was the first real game for KU frosh also and as with all freshmen they don't know what their doing yet. Outside of the more experienced students it's the middle age season tickets owners and yes even the blue hairs making most the noise. Everyone included knows what there doing with the chants.. pregame activities.. etc and a great basketball IQ exists by all KU fans.

I have seen KU play on the road at Tennessee, South Carolina, and a few other places and although those arenas were packed mainly due to KU being the opponent the local fans had zero bball IQ. I imagine SDSU is like that,a packed arena with crazy fans holding bog heads of celebrities instead of the actual players again no bball .

Some say Duke fans are crazy I say their no more than a bunch of Asian kids with thunder sticks and UNC come on there was 2000-3000 empty seats at their first two home games. All in all its impossible to beat Allen Fieldhouse.

A bunch of Asian kids with thundersticks? You clearly don't know Cameron. They get an A+ for creativity, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEXG0mZKcw

Utah State is another venue that is worth a visit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YUnOoye58
Also google Wild Bill for USU.

#1978506 - 11/17/14 11:41 AM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
redrover Offline
friend2allNME2nun

i would go to cameron to see a game if i could. i am sure it is pretty awesome in its own way. no way uc san diego could compare to allen fieldhouse. sorry.

#1978508 - 11/17/14 11:41 AM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
redrover Offline
friend2allNME2nun

that al williams guy looks like a future nba player to me.

#1978538 - 11/17/14 04:42 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
Original AFH Gangsta

Apparently freg has never been to Cameron. Sure their fan base is passionate but like I said a lot of Thunder stick clapping Asian kids. About half the size of AFH so I will give it a 6.2 AFH rating with of course Allen Fieldhouse being a 10..a very douche fan base so to say and #1 in amount of college bball bandwagon fans.

Now places truly close to AFH,sure SDSU or the Pit in New Mexico..maybe Gonzaga, but as one J. Bilas states AFH is to college hoops as Saint Andrews is to golf and it don't get better than that folks.

#1978541 - 11/17/14 05:35 PM Re: Hey Guys!! [Re: chiefstinkyfinger]
Original AFH Gangsta

And lol freg speedo guy really.. That was 23 yrs ago but hey I know how you Gaucho guys like men in speedos so I can understand the love you had for the guy.

Page 115 of 116 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 >

Preview