Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1953079 - 10/27/13 08:23 AM KU Football has reached a new low
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
That's right! a NEW low.

We have fielded bad teams before, really bad ones. that 1-9 bunch in 69 comes to mind. BUT, that was followed by 3 years of getting better each week, then a bowl season... a slight slip then a bowl season again.....the Bud Moore APEX was followed by the major slide of 78....but Fam came back and righted the ship to another bowl in 81.

Then the Gottfried/Val years...it was BAD folks, I am here to tell you! But Mason came in, fixed the damage and our Hawks were competitive within 2 seasons.......Terry Allen was a train wreck of a coach, took what Mason had built and destroyed it, but it took time, four years to really stick our Hawks in the mud....but along came the Fat Man and after one season at the helm, we were competitive and bowling.

Thus.....in our long and storied (BAD!) history, we always had the ability to bounce back after 2 seasons....historically the last one of the moron coach and one more before one could see improvement. Now? The SEVEN game slide from Nationally Ranked during the witch hunt of 09, 2 totally blown seasons under Gill and now two totally blown seasons under Weis. The KU Grid program has NEVER sucked this bad for this long until NOW.

When the game plan SHOULD have been smashmouth, Charlie the Genius decides to have HEAPS (of all people) come out throwing. The lunacy surrounding the preparation and execution of this latest game plan, should have anyone who has anything to do with this program, fans included, be subject to immediate sanity testing.

So, support the kids, but don't give one more penny to KUAC until they actually EARN it!

#1953081 - 10/27/13 09:18 AM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I agree. I will attend the last two games this year, then I am done with season tickets. When I, and the people I attend the game with care more than the coaches, I am done.

#1953089 - 10/27/13 11:36 AM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: KUHawkhead]
dchawkfan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I agree. I will attend the last two games this year, then I am done with season tickets. When I, and the people I attend the game with care more than the coaches, I am done.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/standings?confId=4&year=2013

This conference is a tale of the "haves" and the "have nots" right now. 5 good teams that are either undefeated or just 1 loss in the conference...and 5 not good teams that barely have wins except for 1 win against another bottom feeder. Unfortunately for KU we have started with the best teams losing to Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech. Those were games that we realistically weren't going to win.

The good news is the rest of our schedule will have opportunities for wins if people are realistic. We will most likely lose to Oklahoma State and Texas because they are just better than us at this point...however if you have watched Iowa State (actually a worse record than us and got hammered 71-7 against Baylor) and W. Virginia (got shut out 37-0 against Maryland and barely beat William & Mary) they are chances for a win.

I think we just don't match up speed wise with teams like Baylor and Texas Tech but people really need to think about the fact that Baylor is beating everyone bad. They had scored over 70 four times out of six before that game... Granted they could have scored much more against us too...but it isn't just us.

The players fought hard all game we just don't have enough speed and our oline still needs a lot of work.

I will be able to tell a lot more about this team when we play W. Va, KSU, and ISU than I get from this game because honestly we don't have a team to play against Baylor at this point (which in itself is sad...but most teams are getting beatdown by Baylor as you can tell by the fact that they have outscored opponents by 336 points in 7 games (averaging winning by almost 50 a game).

Just my take on the reality of the situation...Ready to get on to the games that we can really compete in at this stage of our program.

Go Hawks!!

DC

#1953091 - 10/27/13 11:47 AM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: KUHawkhead]
Pbbut Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: 66227
Starting home last night, I was ready to shred these last two game's tickets and send them to Zenger's office. Sleep helps one think more clearly, but things look no better this morning than they did last night. We've decided to try one more season. Next year's squad should have about 30 seniors on it, if you can't compete then, when?
I'm so frustrated with the whole adventure. We put in Cozart and what do we do? We roll him out the first three plays, cut the field in half and basically give him one option to throw to. Does that strike anyone else as insane?
How many draws do we have to run to see that they are not working?
One other question, and I dislike dogging individual players here, but did anyone else think that Victor Simmons missed more tackles than most players do in a career?

#1953101 - 10/27/13 12:53 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: dchawkfan]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
Originally Posted By: dchawkfan
The good news is the rest of our schedule will have opportunities for wins if people are realistic.

I think this is where you post began not making any sense.

#1953113 - 10/27/13 04:27 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: namohcan_99]
dchawkfan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: namohcan_99
The good news is the rest of our schedule will have opportunities for wins if people are realistic.

I think this is where you post began not making any sense.

Explain how you think we don't have an "opportunity" against WVa or ISU. ISU was down 64-0 last weekend against Baylor too...and lost 71-7 for crying out loud. They will not have a huge advantage on us...and realistically we should have Heeney, Tedarian Johnson, Josh Ford, and Andrew Turzilli back by then...and hopefully Pierson will be 100% by then as well and not just play the first possession or two. If you don't think those two games are "opportunities for a win" especially if Cozart improves over these next several weeks then I don't see how you get through life being that pessimistic. In fact if I was that pessimistic I would put myself out of my (and everyone else's) misery.

Go Hawks.

DC

#1953114 - 10/27/13 04:32 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: beenahawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
We have NO REASON to be optimistic. What makes you think Cozart will get any meaningful snaps? Maybe after you have followed this crap for 50 years you will understand. memo to Charlie and Heaps: when Peirson is double covered....someone is WIDE OPEN.

#1953115 - 10/27/13 05:05 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: beenahawk]
dchawkfan Offline
Max Falkenstien

We lost to teams like OU and TCU after being within a touchdown in the 4th quarter too.

Cozart got meaningful snaps in both of the last 2 games. He got snaps when we were ahead of OU for sure...and he got snaps early last night when we stopped Baylor the first 2 possessions and Heaps didn't get us moving.

If you want to only look at Baylor and say we have no chance then that is fine...but this team has had a ton of injuries and has been right in a lot of games even without key contributors like Heeney...etc. If you don't think we have an opportunity in a couple of the last games against ISU and WVU then I am glad you aren't on my team with that kind of "give up" mentality.

I am NOT saying we ARE GOING to win...but those are opportunities. People that are competitive always think there is a chance to win in that kind of game.

Go Hawks!!

DC

#1953117 - 10/27/13 05:27 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Quote:
? Maybe after you have followed this crap for 50 years you will understand

This. Anyone who doesn't realize that THIS is the norm for KU football hasn't been paying attention.

#1953120 - 10/27/13 06:22 PM Re: KU Football has reached a new low [Re: dchawkfan]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
Explain how you think we don't have an "opportunity" against WVa or ISU.

Easy. Look at the head coach. Do you know why we were running sweeps instead of straight up the gut? When we finally did start running it up the gut with some success, why our coach never went to a play action pass? Why is it that he never does? Do you know the rhyme and reason was for going with which quarterback? Do you know why our coach didn't challenge the Baylor player coming from out of bounds to catch the ball? Why with less than a yard to go and a mobile QB in, we don't call to QB sneak it, but stack up in the I formation?

I don't have the answers, but I know a bad situation when I see it. I sat in that stadium yesterday, next to a lot of Baylor fans, by the way (and they were pretty good spirited about it and pretty honest.) Baylor didn't have their first string out by the start of the 2nd half. They didn't have their second string out by the 4th quarter. We could almost compete with their third string, but don't let that fool you. It wasn't just talent and athleticism that beat us. Baylor gave up playing KU well early into the 2nd quarter.

The things that are embarrassing are the fundamentals that are being missed. You tell me West Virginia or Iowa State is going to be a lot better chance for a win because Baylor beat ISU by more points than us? Don't bet on it. Baylor could have hung 80 on us easy. Go back and watch the horror. I didn't see any Baylor players pressuring the punt unit (good time for a fake! jk) We started the game flat. Read Matt Tait's article. Our defense didn't keep going after a few 3 and out's. They gave up. They were beat. They were tired long before the middle of the first quarter. Tackling was poor. We can't tackle or didn't try. This game was over before it started.

Weis either has to change or he has to go. I am not offering answers here. I'm just pointing out a very real problem and KU is not anywhere as close as to where you describe.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  beenahawk, KUHawkhead, oreadical